ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Nets 2020 Draft Thread

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Official Nets 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#61 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:40 am

Paradise wrote:Jalen Smith says Nets were one of the first teams to interview him.

Read on Twitter

We would need to move up to get him. he will go mid to late lotto. Celtics have multiple picks including #14. Celtics also need bench help...

#19 and TLC for #14?
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#62 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:42 am

Papi_swav wrote:
Paradise wrote:Jalen Smith says Nets were one of the first teams to interview him.

Read on Twitter

Sounds like Allen might be on the move

Smith is more of 3/4 Jaylen brown type in the NBA. i know the terps used him at the 5 and tried to post him but it clearly wasnt his game he was just bigger then most and more athletic.

i think he would be that 2-way wing interchangable at 2/3/4 who can play some 5 if you go really small
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#63 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:45 am

Papi_swav wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Sounds like Allen might be on the move

He can shoot, he would be a good fit here. He'll need to put on about 20 lbs of muscle though eventually.

yea i think it said he weighs 225 .? thats way too light. But he does add a different skill set then what we have at center so i guess.

He is bigger/wider than claxton and allen while projecting as a 3/4 instead of a 4/5 like claxton. like most 20 year olds you'd like to see him add wieght be he has an NBA ready body.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#64 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:50 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
I feel very confident if we can maintain health through the season.

found this comment odd considering you want to stand pat. of our 4 best players, 3 are very injury prone and all 3 coming off an injury plagued season.

KD would for sure miss a minimum of 12-15 games next year on rest/maintenance alone.
Kyrie would likely miss the same.

Kyrie and Levert consistently miss 25+ games per year. Durant has had multiple years he missed 50+ games.

The over/under on combined games played for that Trio is probably 165 or so. and all 3 are high risk to miss major time.

Our biggest weakness is lack of a durable player who can carry us for long stretches in the regular season. it could cost us seeding and home court. Adding someone like Jrue or Beal would solidify our title hopes. we have enough depth to have an elite 8-9 man rotation even if we dealt levert/dinwiddie/allen
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,852

Post#65 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:22 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

found this comment odd considering you want to stand pat. of our 4 best players, 3 are very injury prone and all 3 coming off an injury plagued season.

KD would for sure miss a minimum of 12-15 games next year on rest/maintenance alone.

Kyrie and Levert consistently miss 25+ games per year. Durant has had multiple years he missed 50+ games.

The over/under on combined games played for that Trio is probably 165 or so. and all 3 are high risk to miss major time.

Our biggest weakness is lack of a durable player who can carry us for long stretches in the regular season. it could cost us seeding and home court. Adding someone like Jrue or Beal would solidify our title hopes. we have enough depth to have an elite 8-9 man rotation even if we dealt levert/dinwiddie/allen

I like Jrue but if I had to pick between who could help to carry the team for stretches if guys miss significant time, I would say it would be Beal, who is a top tier scoring talent, and not Holiday.

I'm just thinking best case scenario, if we don't see any disastrous injuries to LeVert, Irving, and KD I think we have enough depth to maintain a competitive level through the season...and you have to figure the chances of us not having all of them out at the same time all at once aren't that likely. As long as we have 2 out of 3 out there every night we will be fine.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#66 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:41 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I like Jrue but if I had to pick between who could help to carry the team for stretches if guys miss significant time, I would say it would be Beal, who is a top tier scoring talent, and not Holiday.

I'm just thinking best case scenario, if we don't see any disastrous injuries to LeVert, Irving, and KD I think we have enough depth to maintain a competitive level through the season...and you have to figure the chances of us not having all of them out at the same time all at once aren't that likely. As long as we have 2 out of 3 out there every night we will be fine.

We've seen it first hand before. Nothing derails a team like terrible PG play. If we're moving Dinwiddie and/or LeVert in a deal, we'll want to return a guy that can function as a PG as well. Jrue & Beal fit that bill. It's why I'm against proposed deals for a big like Gobert.
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#67 » by Sharcm1 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:34 pm

They need a PF. They have needed a PF for years now. A real pf. A guy who can defend, rebound and if open shoot an mid range shot. That’s it. If they can find a PF who can do those things then that’s who they should pick. Even if he doesn’t have a great jump shot but has good mechanics. Something they can work on. But he has to be able to bang inside on defense and step out a guard a pick and roll.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#68 » by Paradise » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:33 pm

Prokorov wrote:

Read on Twitter

We would need to move up to get him. he will go mid to late lotto. Celtics have multiple picks including #14. Celtics also need bench help...

#19 and TLC for #14?

I think we can stay at 19 and still land him. This draft is giving me vibes of when we landed Jarrett Allen despite him being projected as a Top 15 pick.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#69 » by Papi_swav » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:32 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:

Read on Twitter

Sounds like Allen might be on the move

Smith is more of 3/4 Jaylen brown type in the NBA. i know the terps used him at the 5 and tried to post him but it clearly wasnt his game he was just bigger then most and more athletic.

i think he would be that 2-way wing interchangable at 2/3/4 who can play some 5 if you go really small

Then I'm all for it then. We need a guy like that . Jaylen Brown disrupts things defensively, he's all over the floor. Who's the guys you would want to draft?
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#70 » by Prokorov » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:53 am

Papi_swav wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Sounds like Allen might be on the move

Then I'm all for it then. We need a guy like that . Jaylen Brown disrupts things defensively, he's all over the floor. Who's the guys you would want to draft?

its in the OP.... Oturu, lewis jr, pritchard
Paradise

Official Nets 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#71 » by Paradise » Sat Oct 3, 2020 5:27 pm

Desmond Bane and The Nets have mutual interest. Says Joe Harris is who he studies in the league.

This week, two prospects —Maryland big Jalen Smith and TCU sharpshooter Desmond Bane— have said the Nets were among their first interviews ... and in the case of one of Bane, he believes he was Brooklyn’s first interview.

Bane, in fact, seems to be lobbying for a job, as Brian Lewis reports Saturday.

“I believe I’m their first interview as well. It was very early on, and the interest was significant,” Bane said Wednesday via Zoom. “I spoke with the Nets very early on in the process, and the interview went great. Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving are going to be huge focal points of the team, so you’ve got to have guys like Joe Harris who can run around off screens and occupy defenses and make shots away from the ball.”

That’s actually the guy that I study a lot in the NBA, just because we’re similar size, we played four years, he’s a tough guy, makes shots off a lot of different movements, can play off of handoffs and things like that. So that’s somebody that I really try to model my game after. He’s had great success in the Brooklyn organization and I feel like I could have similar success.”
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#72 » by ecuhus1981 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 5:25 pm

I would love to develop Bane as a 2nd round pick. I'm a Big XII fan, and I watched him at TCU. He really impressed me with his intensity and never-say-die attitude. He's a very limited player IMO, and it seems he knows his limitations.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#73 » by Roddy B for 3 » Fri Oct 9, 2020 8:11 am

Brooklyn is on the clock in the NBA draft subforum mock draft. Please vote!
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Paradise

Post#74 » by Paradise » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:18 pm

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#75 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:22 am

I can see the appeal of Smith. He has consistent shooting mechanics and advanced offensive footwork for his position. He has great shot- blocking skill, and can slide his feet on the perimeter.

However, Jalen seems to struggle with even perfunctory ball pressure when dribbling, and will be dislodged by 98% of the league in loose ball situations. I don't exist him to be a banger, but being a waif will be a problem. He's this weird hybrid of Nerlens Noel and Jake Layman. If he hits, he could be an efficient 2-way roleplayer. But I see a lot of bust in him, and not a ton of desire to succeed.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#76 » by Prokorov » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:17 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

We've seen it first hand before. Nothing derails a team like terrible PG play. If we're moving Dinwiddie and/or LeVert in a deal, we'll want to return a guy that can function as a PG as well. Jrue & Beal fit that bill. It's why I'm against proposed deals for a big like Gobert.

im with you in general. but gobert moves the needle alot. and that team has won alot of games with nothing/trash/G-league at PG due to injury or prior to adding talent.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#77 » by Prokorov » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:18 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:They need a PF. They have needed a PF for years now. A real pf. A guy who can defend, rebound and if open shoot an mid range shot. That’s it. If they can find a PF who can do those things then that’s who they should pick. Even if he doesn’t have a great jump shot but has good mechanics. Something they can work on. But he has to be able to bang inside on defense and step out a guard a pick and roll.

who would he need to band on defense with? the 2 PFs in the NBA who may actually step inside the paint?
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#78 » by Prokorov » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:25 pm

I think Smith will go 7-11. i dont think we have a chance at him wihtout moving up.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#79 » by Papi_swav » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:12 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:I can see the appeal of Smith. He has consistent shooting mechanics and advanced offensive footwork for his position. He has great shot- blocking skill, and can slide his feet on the perimeter.

However, Jalen seems to struggle with even perfunctory ball pressure when dribbling, and will be dislodged by 98% of the league in loose ball situations. I don't exist him to be a banger, but being a waif will be a problem. He's this weird hybrid of Nerlens Noel and Jake Layman. If he hits, he could be an efficient 2-way roleplayer. But I see a lot of bust in him, and not a ton of desire to succeed.

I feel like if his only real problem is ball handling then he should be ok. We wouldn't need for him to dribble at all, we got a bunch of ball handlers here. That is also something he can improve on especially with Kyrie, KD and Nash here. We just need an athletic wing to guard the perimeter and hit some corner 3s, he sounds like he fits that bill.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#80 » by kamaze » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:54 am

Tyshon Alexander
6'4 195 lb Junior out of Creighton reminds me of LeVert he defends, passes and shoots good
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton

Return to Brooklyn Nets