Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2061 » by Prokorov » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:10 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:Yeah, I agree. Dude like him could be our Crowder in the future but I see DX’s point. We could do much better by shedding his contract and targeting someone with the full MLE while retaining Joe, TJ and possibly Cheeze.

We are 7 million over the tax. it makes alot more sense to salary dump musa/krucus (4 million) and renounce Ellison and MArtin (3 million in holds). may also need to renounce chiozza or chandler.

That keeps prince here which is good for 1 talent/depth and 2 his salary is important for us to be able to match salary in a deal for a star player.

if the idea is we want the full MLE, salary dumping price is the wrong path. we lose prince, #19 and salary-matching capability when we could just lose a handful of d-leaguers instead

Why do we even care about being over the tax?

Just for the full MLE? Who exactly are we targeting thats worth just giving up on Kurucs & Musa?

I'm not worried about it... but there are a couple reasons:

1) we get the full MLE. which is about 4 million more (9.7 million vs. 6 million)

2) the timer on the repeater tax wouldnt start yet. even for a jillionaire the exponential penalities of repeater tax eventually get to expensive, evenf or a willing payer like tsai.

if we need the full MLE, we can get there, quick and easy by renouncing d-leaguers and dumping a guy like musa or kurucs. it may very well be worth it. if a guy who would normally get like 4/60 may take 4/40ish with us on the full MLE to ring chase. im not sure they would take 4/24 and forgo 60% of that money

as far as who is available for the MLE its speculation but some popular names expected to be in play for that amaount are Isiah Thomas, Alec Burke, Meyer leonard, Jaymichel green, moe harkless, glen robinson III, Boogie Cousins, Gallinari, Dragic, Aaron Baynes.

I'd kick musa/kurucs to the curb if it got me Gallinari or Harkless. I'd also be all in on baynes if allen was dealt
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#2062 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:27 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
We are 7 million over the tax. it makes alot more sense to salary dump musa/krucus (4 million) and renounce Ellison and MArtin (3 million in holds). may also need to renounce chiozza or chandler.

That keeps prince here which is good for 1 talent/depth and 2 his salary is important for us to be able to match salary in a deal for a star player.

if the idea is we want the full MLE, salary dumping price is the wrong path. we lose prince, #19 and salary-matching capability when we could just lose a handful of d-leaguers instead

Just for the full MLE? Who exactly are we targeting thats worth just giving up on Kurucs & Musa?

1) we get the full MLE. which is about 4 million more (9.7 million vs. 6 million)

2) the timer on the repeater tax wouldnt start yet. even for a jillionaire the exponential penalities of repeater tax eventually get to expensive, evenf or a willing payer like tsai.

if we need the full MLE, we can get there, quick and easy by renouncing d-leaguers and dumping a guy like musa or kurucs. it may very well be worth it. if a guy who would normally get like 4/60 may take 4/40ish with us on the full MLE to ring chase. im not sure they would take 4/24 and forgo 60% of that money

as far as who is available for the MLE its speculation but some popular names expected to be in play for that amaount are Isiah Thomas, Alec Burke, Meyer leonard, Jaymichel green, moe harkless, glen robinson III, Boogie Cousins, Gallinari, Dragic, Aaron Baynes.

I'd kick musa/kurucs to the curb if it got me Gallinari or Harkless. I'd also be all in on baynes if allen was dealt

Forget the tax & the full MLE. If we're keeping Harris, we're paying the tax & will be over the threshold.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#2063 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:09 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

No way are we getting Gallo or Dragic for the MLE.

I have little interest in the rest of those guys anyway.

If we can get Gallo yes. Otherwise not worth it.

I don't know why you guys like Harkless so much. Clippers dumped him for nothing and then nobody wanted him. He's not good.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#2064 » by Prokorov » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:36 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

Forget the tax & the full MLE. If we're keeping Harris, we're paying the tax & will be over the threshold.

we are at 139M with harris at a 14-15M cap hold (uncludes all cap holds). the tax line is estimated at 132M. unless harris is gonna get like 4/80 i think we can get under the tax to sign someone to the full mle
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#2065 » by DarkXaero » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:36 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:Yeah, I agree. Dude like him could be our Crowder in the future but I see DX’s point. We could do much better by shedding his contract and targeting someone with the full MLE while retaining Joe, TJ and possibly Cheeze.

Unless my math is wrong (I don't think it is), I think we're way more than $7 mill over the tax apron. Don't forget that Joe Harris has a $14.5 mill cap hold.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#2066 » by Prokorov » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:37 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

I don't know why you guys like Harkless so much. Clippers dumped him for nothing and then nobody wanted him. He's not good.

harkless is an outstandin player. issue is health. which may not be the best match with all our other oft injured guys. but the talent is indeniable.

id want baynes.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#2067 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:09 pm

Prokorov wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

we are at 139M with harris at a 14-15M cap hold (uncludes all cap holds). the tax line is estimated at 132M. unless harris is gonna get like 4/80 i think we can get under the tax to sign someone to the full mle

We're at $139 with Temple & TLC, not including Harris. Even if we got Harris for only $12mil, we'd need to clear at over $20mil to get the full MLE (& hard cap ourselves in the process).Sure, we can move Prince, Temple & Musa for nothing & get just about there, but we'd be foolish to but up the tax threshold & hard cap.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#2068 » by ProspectPark » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:53 pm

The buy-out market next season is another way we can add to our depth to make a deep playoff run. Some of the interesting names include:

Trevor Ariza
PJ Tucker
JJ Redick
Rudy Gay
James Johnson
Rodney Hood
Gorgui Dieng
Nic Batum

I don’t like the idea of getting rid of so many players (and picks) just so we can use the Full MLE. Doing that destroys our flexibility at the trade deadline and also putting a hard cap on us takes us out of the buy-out market.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#2069 » by DarkXaero » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:31 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:The buy-out market next season is another way we can add to our depth to make a deep playoff run. Some of the interesting names include:

Trevor Ariza
PJ Tucker
JJ Redick
Rudy Gay
James Johnson
Rodney Hood
Gorgui Dieng
Nic Batum

I don’t like the idea of getting rid of so many players (and picks) just so we can use the Full MLE. Doing that destroys our flexibility at the trade deadline and also putting a hard cap on us takes us out of the buy-out market.
I don't think Ariza, Tucker, and JJ get bought out at all. Tucker is one of Rocket's most valued players, and JJ is still playing at a high level, and loves New Orleans. Ariza is very valuable to his team as he's their only 3&D player aside from Trent Jr.

I agree on Batum though, I think he's a surefire buyout candidate, and the one we should pursue. He was trash this season, but I do believe that he can get back to his prior form, which is a pretty decent 3&D wing. The good version of Batum is exactly the type of player we need.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#2070 » by ProspectPark » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:55 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:The buy-out market next season is another way we can add to our depth to make a deep playoff run. Some of the interesting names include:

Trevor Ariza
PJ Tucker
JJ Redick
Rudy Gay
James Johnson
Rodney Hood
Gorgui Dieng
Nic Batum

I don't think Ariza, Tucker, and JJ get bought out at all. Tucker is one of Rocket's most valued players, and JJ is still playing at a high level, and loves New Orleans. Ariza is very valuable to his team as he's their only 3&D player aside from Trent Jr.

I agree on Batum though, I think he's a surefire buyout candidate, and the one we should pursue. He was trash this season, but I do believe that he can get back to his prior form, which is a pretty decent 3&D wing. The good version of Batum is exactly the type of player we need.

Often teams have a bad year and have older players on expiring contracts who they are not planning to bring back. So they might buy them out to save money and let the player go ring chase. I remember the Spurs got Boris Diaw that way.

I agree the good version of Batum off the bench would be great. The point is we should not hard cap ourselves under any scenario. You never know who might become available.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,571

Post#2071 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:25 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

We are paying the tax. Joe Harris is a key piece to the line up. Him on the floor with Kyrie and KD is a nightmare for opposing defenses.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#2072 » by therealbig3 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:42 am

Mentioned it in another thread, but Markieff Morris was the Lakers' best 3 and D player in the playoffs, stupid mistake at the end of game 5 aside.

A versatile defender that can guard 3-5 and knock down 3s at a 40% clip...he'd be a great fit next to Kyrie and Durant.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2073 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:46 am

Prokorov wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

harkless is an outstandin player. issue is health. which may not be the best match with all our other oft injured guys. but the talent is indeniable.

id want baynes.

If Allen has to be dealt, I want Baynes as well. Aussie blood, tough, and can hit threes.

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,233

Post#2074 » by Papi_swav » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:52 am

therealbig3 wrote:Mentioned it in another thread, but Markieff Morris was the Lakers' best 3 and D player in the playoffs, stupid mistake at the end of game 5 aside.

A versatile defender that can guard 3-5 and knock down 3s at a 40% clip...he'd be a great fit next to Kyrie and Durant.

I mentioned him here earlier , but yea he's a good fit it's just that he's a dirty player, same thing for his brother. We need a dog here tho so Idk I'm a little torn.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#2075 » by Prokorov » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:12 am

I like morris... the thing with investing in him is that we need to get more athletic. If we use money/picks to get a 3/4 type we should find an athletic one.
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#2076 » by Born_Ready » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:08 pm

Prokorov wrote:I like morris... the thing with investing in him is that we need to get more athletic. If we use money/picks to get a 3/4 type we should find an athletic one.

I agree. I like Morris as well, but the position needs to be a high flyer athletic type player. Preferably a 3 & D as well.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2077 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:22 pm

I'm with the Keep Prince faction. TP will be an excellent roleplayer for us next season in our stacked line up.

TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,579

Post#2078 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:01 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

The full MLE is almost $10 mill per year.

There are a lot of players who are worth giving up on Kurucs and Musa. **** I’d give up on Musa just for the open roster spot.

But if you want a name, I’m sure Serge Ibaka would think long and hard about taking the full MLE to play with Brooklyn if the second year is a player option.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,579

Post#2079 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:19 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

This is an absolutely fascinating idea but most of the guys you mentioned simply aren’t going to make anywhere near the MLE. In fact most of those guys are minimum players at this point.

Either way this is the type of creative option that I hope the Nets thoroughly explore. If they use Allen to move Princes deal and decline Temple’s option they could remove almost $23 million from their books which would put them under the Cap Apron. They could even keep the 19th pick in this scenario.

Like you said there are probably plenty of vets who would be interested in signing with a contender at that number such as starting caliber forwards like Serge Ibaka, Danilo Gallinari, Jeremi Grant and Marcus Morris.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#2080 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:11 pm

I agree we should definitely be targeting Ibaka.

There are very few teams with cap space and they all suck.

KD is close with Ibaka. Maybe he can get him to sign here for the full MLE if we can get it.

Return to Brooklyn Nets