ImageImage

2020 free agent targets and draft picks

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Re: 2020 free agent targets and draft picks 

Post#501 » by JasonStern » Tue Oct 6, 2020 10:52 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Jason, are you trying to win games? Leonard wasn't worth $10 million when the Blazers signed him last time. He's a vet minimum player, nothing more. That second unit is scary and not in a good way.

Look, trading Leonard wasn't something we wanted to do last off-season. But with Nurkić out for most of the regular season, we felt we needed a more traditional center to pair with Collins for 30 to 40 minutes a game. But with Nurkić back, we like the idea of a Nurkić/Collins/Leonard trio. Leonard can shoot. 50-40-90 potential. Help spread the floor giving Nurk and Collins room to work in the interior. He gives us a third legit seven footer, something most teams don't have the luxury of having. We knew when we drafted him we'd have to be patient with him. Entering his ninth season, we're hoping he'll take that next step forward.

The second unit was listed by position - not by playing time. Cole Anthony probably is not going to get many minutes as rookie. That frees up CJ and Hezonja for minutes being the secondary ball handler or primary ball handler when Dame is out. There's always a chance Cole can play from day one, but you don't want to put that unnecessary pressure on him when we've got other talented players that fit that role.

Carmelo is a starter because, over his career, he has earned it. But don't expect him to be playing 30-40 minutes a night on most nights. Also expect him to play spot minutes at the 4 instead of the 3. We're expecting big things from Trent. He's one of the hardest workers. Total gym rat. His bubble performance caught a lot of the league off guard, but not us. Hood is still a question mark. His recovery has gone well, but there's always the risk when you have an injury like his of his full athleticism not coming back. So we're cautious.

But if you look at the 8 deep, and that's really what we focus on - Dame, CJ, Nurkić, Collins, Trent, Anthony, Leonard, and Hezonja - you got a core that I think can really make a run in the west. Plus you got Hood as an x-factor. Simons still looks like he could be a star in this league. Gabriel made major strides during the bubble. Little is progressing. We hope that we don't need to tap into that depth over the season, but we're glad it's there.

Look, I would love to sign a LeBron James in free agency and to be gifted an Anthony Davis in trade. But that's not realistically going to happen. So how do you make the team better? The draft. Free agency. And trades. We got who we felt were the best players available in the draft. We got the starting center from one of the NBA Finals teams in free agency. Which, by the way, him coming back to Portland when he could easily have stayed in Miami shows you how great the culture here is. And we're open to making trades if it makes the team better. But we're not going to make trades that don't move the needle.

We also tucked in just under the luxury tax, which is big. We definitely wanted to avoid that repeater tax. And we did so without giving up picks. We still have that fifteenth roster spot available in case a veteran or a player that, maybe just needs a new home or a new start, becomes available.

Again, this is a team that made the Western Conference Finals just over a year ago. And what were people saying then? You can't win with Dame and CJ, and yet they did. We're also one of the youngest teams, with 9 of the 14 players being 26 or younger. I think there's a lot to like here.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#502 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Oct 7, 2020 1:29 am

Cole Anthony is such an inefficient chucker with terrible defense, of course Olshey would target him.

I actually wouldn't mind Leonard back but we need to use our MLE on a veteran defensive minded forward. That is our major hole that has been left open since Harkless/Aminu and Gabriel is not ready to be the main guy filling that hole, he is the backup guy you hope steps up there.

Any top 8 that includes Hezonja is an off-season fail IMO...
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#503 » by Norm2953 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:02 am

Is there any word about any workouts scheduled prior to the draft for this its seems weird the draft is November 18
and they are projecting the start of the 2021 season in January/February and its unclear when the league will be
open for off season business after the Lakers finish off the Heat. Everything seems to be coming together all at once.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#504 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Oct 7, 2020 1:06 pm

JasonStern wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:Jason, are you trying to win games? Leonard wasn't worth $10 million when the Blazers signed him last time. He's a vet minimum player, nothing more. That second unit is scary and not in a good way.

Look, trading Leonard wasn't something we wanted to do last off-season. But with Nurkić out for most of the regular season, we felt we needed a more traditional center to pair with Collins for 30 to 40 minutes a game. But with Nurkić back, we like the idea of a Nurkić/Collins/Leonard trio. Leonard can shoot. 50-40-90 potential. Help spread the floor giving Nurk and Collins room to work in the interior. He gives us a third legit seven footer, something most teams don't have the luxury of having. We knew when we drafted him we'd have to be patient with him. Entering his ninth season, we're hoping he'll take that next step forward.

The second unit was listed by position - not by playing time. Cole Anthony probably is not going to get many minutes as rookie. That frees up CJ and Hezonja for minutes being the secondary ball handler or primary ball handler when Dame is out. There's always a chance Cole can play from day one, but you don't want to put that unnecessary pressure on him when we've got other talented players that fit that role.

Carmelo is a starter because, over his career, he has earned it. But don't expect him to be playing 30-40 minutes a night on most nights. Also expect him to play spot minutes at the 4 instead of the 3. We're expecting big things from Trent. He's one of the hardest workers. Total gym rat. His bubble performance caught a lot of the league off guard, but not us. Hood is still a question mark. His recovery has gone well, but there's always the risk when you have an injury like his of his full athleticism not coming back. So we're cautious.

But if you look at the 8 deep, and that's really what we focus on - Dame, CJ, Nurkić, Collins, Trent, Anthony, Leonard, and Hezonja - you got a core that I think can really make a run in the west. Plus you got Hood as an x-factor. Simons still looks like he could be a star in this league. Gabriel made major strides during the bubble. Little is progressing. We hope that we don't need to tap into that depth over the season, but we're glad it's there.

Look, I would love to sign a LeBron James in free agency and to be gifted an Anthony Davis in trade. But that's not realistically going to happen. So how do you make the team better? The draft. Free agency. And trades. We got who we felt were the best players available in the draft. We got the starting center from one of the NBA Finals teams in free agency. Which, by the way, him coming back to Portland when he could easily have stayed in Miami shows you how great the culture here is. And we're open to making trades if it makes the team better. But we're not going to make trades that don't move the needle.

We also tucked in just under the luxury tax, which is big. We definitely wanted to avoid that repeater tax. And we did so without giving up picks. We still have that fifteenth roster spot available in case a veteran or a player that, maybe just needs a new home or a new start, becomes available.

Again, this is a team that made the Western Conference Finals just over a year ago. And what were people saying then? You can't win with Dame and CJ, and yet they did. We're also one of the youngest teams, with 9 of the 14 players being 26 or younger. I think there's a lot to like here.

I can't agree with most of what you just said. I also don't know who "we" is. The West is deep next year and your 8 man roster is going to make a run for the 6th - 8th spot, nothing more. including Hezonja and Leonard in your top 8 is a real problem. I actually like Leonard, the person, and would not mind having him on my 15 man roster, but not to be a main player. You said it yourself, he's been in the league 9 years and if you're still hoping he takes the next step forward, you're going to be extremely disappointed. If he hasn't stepped forward by now, he never will and that's okay. He is what he is, a really nice guy that is really tall and can shoot when left very wide open. There is no way any team in the league offers him the MLE. I would be surprised if he gets anything more than the veterans minimum.

Lillard (30)/Anthony (20)
McCollum (29)/Trent (21)/Simons (21)
Anthony (36)/Hezonja (25)/Little (20) /Hood (27) (IR)
Collins (22)/Gabriel (23)
Nurkić (26)/Leonard (28)/Yurtseven (22)

If that is the lineup for next season, I will not be expecting much. I certainly hope the Blazers do something more than simply sign Meyers Leonard with the MLE (I just puked a little). If they can't do any better than that, Neil Olshey should be fired before the season even begins.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#505 » by Sinobas » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:02 pm

I think he was doing a Neil Olshey impersonation.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#506 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:53 pm

This is my moderately realistic offseason hope:

DeRozan opts out after some light tampering from Dame, CJ and Co. He decides to take a paycut to get an extra year GTD in a S&T and move from a rebuilding team to a playoff squad. The trade is:

Trevor Ariza, Anfernee Simons, Mario Hezonja, #16 for Demar DeRozan, #41

We send out $16.93M and can take on 125% of that so DDR's 1st year starts at 21M. His 2nd year w/ max 5% raise is 22M. The 3rd year is unguaranteed. (You must sign at least 3 years on a S&T, but the 2nd and 3rd do not have to be GTD)

We get another extremely competent offensive player who gets to the FT line while having the handle and vision to adopt the Batum facilitator role from SF. This team lacks cutting and easy backets, living and dying by Dame and the 3, and DDR improves the easy shots we get while allowing CJ to play off ball more, where he is most efficient according to advanced stats. He is only average at defense but nowhere near as bad as many say. And, most importantly, if he agrees to the above deal we can go for it the next 2 seasons before releasing him to resign Nurkic to his 20M+ extension.

After losing our primary MLE targets in Crowder / Millsap we settle on Mo Harkless as our pick. He was here before and posted tremendous defensive metrics. On a team with Dame, CJ, DDR and Nurkic in the starting lineup, and GTJ, Hood and Melo off the bench, you can afford a guy with the limited offense of Mo to round the top-5. He can defend both forward positions, can hit an open 3 and doesnt demand much usage.

FREE AGENCY

Carmelo Anthony - 1 year / BAE - He brings scoring off the bench and is the yang to Harklesses defensive ying. If he wants to come back, and despite his lip service I can see him bolting to ring chase, I take him back.

Meyers Leonard - 1 year / Vet Min - The boys are back in town! Leonard is gods spitting image of the perfect 3rd string center. Big enough body to give 6 fouls against the traditional post guys (Joel, Jokic, Bam, etc) with floor spacing abilities and the locker room presence of a holy angel sent from high. All jokes aside, he would be a welcome addition back to the squad. Culture matters and he sure as hell fits.

Michael Carter-Williams - 1 year / Vet Min - I was tempted to put Napier here as he is a better shooter and has the connection historically, but MCW is much more of what we need. He has re-established his game as a defensive, low error making swing guard who has the size we need in the backcourt and length to finally give opposing guards some trouble.

DRAFT

41 - Malachi Flynn PG - Elite advanced metrics as a defender and pick/roll wizard. Good shot and great motor. IMO he is a telegraphed steal this late. I have a early 20's grade on him personally.
46 - Killian Tillie FC - Another underrated guy, Tillie can spread the floor but also possesses nice switchability and likely positional versatility. Ideally he can overcome his injury curse, play well and make resigning Zach unnecessary (Unless Collins finally switches on). Like Flynn, I find him very underrated and have him valued around pick 30-35.

G - Damian Lillard / Michael Carter-Williams / Malachi Flynn
G - CJ McCollum / Gary Trent Jr / (Michael Carter-Williams)
F - Demar DeRozan / Rodney Hood / Nassir Little
F - Mo Harkless / Carmelo Anthony / Weynen Gabriel / Killian Tillie
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Zach Collins / Meyers Leonard / Killian Tillie
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#507 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:55 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:41 - Malachi Flynn PG - Elite advanced metrics as a defender and pick/roll wizard. Good shot and great motor. IMO he is a telegraphed steal this late. I have a early 20's grade on him personally.

Yeah, he looks like he could be a real solid find in the second round. There are a number of intriguing options this year. This week I am leaning towards Sam Merrill if we pick a guard in the second round. He's like a smaller, worse and older version of Doncic lol. 4 year player that carried a heavy load for his team so I think he may be more ready to contribute than other second rounders, very good passer and shooter with some size at 6'5. Always going to be defensively a little limited however.... Worth checking out tho.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#508 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:27 pm

Sinobas wrote:I think he was doing a Neil Olshey impersonation.

Okay, that makes a lot more sense now. I didn't think Jason and I disagreed that much on the Blazers over the years. :D :wink: :)
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#509 » by Sinobas » Thu Oct 8, 2020 10:24 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
Sinobas wrote:I think he was doing a Neil Olshey impersonation.

Okay, that makes a lot more sense now. I didn't Jason and I disagreed that much on the Blazers over the years. :D :wink: :)

Every time a Blazer fan starts a post with "Look," what follows is probably a NO impersonation. :D
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#510 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:35 pm

Portland Offseason... (Zzz Zzz Zzz)

DeMar DeRozan opts out of his contract with San Antonio, then signs a 3 year contract for the MLE with the Blazers.
San Antonio does not guarantee LaMarcus Aldridge's contract, then works out a S&T for the Bazemore TPE, finally proving he really does want to come home to Portland.
Portland trades Trevor Ariza, Rodney Hood, Anfernee Simons, Nassir Little, Mario Hezonja, and #16 and $5.6 million cash for Rudy Gay & Patty Mills
Portland re-signs Carmelo Anthony
Portland rounds out it's roster with veteran free agents.

Lillard/Mills
McCollum/Trent Jr
DeRozan/Gay
Aldridge/Melo
Nurkic/Collins

(yawn) Alright, nap time is over. Have fun!
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,406

Post#511 » by Blazinaway » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:03 pm

I'd like to see a trade for A. Gordon not involving CJ (16/Ariza/Simons perhaps), then sign Harkless for relatively cheap. We shore up the SF/PF positions with guys who can play and can play D and offer flexibility. This allows us to give Collins one last chance, but I am not opposed to trading Zach either.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#512 » by Goldbum » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:04 pm

If we don't resign Melo, Ryan Anderson could play a similar role on a minimum deal. Also really like Giles as an UFA use of the BAE.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#513 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:16 pm

I'd like to see a trade for A. Gordon not involving CJ (16/Ariza/Simons perhaps), then sign Harkless for relatively cheap. We shore up the SF/PF positions with guys who can play and can play D and offer flexibility. This allows us to give Collins one last chance, but I am not opposed to trading Zach either.

I would be down for this, but ORL management seems obsessed with chasing that 7-8th seed and IDK if they finally buy in to a rebuilding package.

If we don't resign Melo, Ryan Anderson could play a similar role on a minimum deal. Also really like Giles as an UFA use of the BAE.

He has been cooked for like 2 years now and apparently just suffered a knee injury in the Lithuanian league. I think Melo bolts elsewhere to ring chase, but Anderson isnt going to be the guy to take Melos bench scoring position.

A somewhat outside the box idea would be offering SAC our TPE for Jabari Parker. Not the shooter Melo is, but he can score bunches in a hurry. Make the AG trade (Ariza, Simons, 16), sign Harkless to the MLE, sign a vet min backup PG (Shabazz Napier) and a vet ming big (O'Quinn?). Then capitalize on the PG depth at 46 (Flynn is my choice)

G - Damian Lillard / Shabazz Napier / Malachi Flynn
G - CJ McCollum / Gary Trent Jr
F - Mo Harkless / Rodney Hood / Nassir Little
F - Aaron Gordon / Jabari Parker / Weynen Gabriel
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Zach Collins / Kyle O'Quinn

Still a team that only gets as far as the WCF if the stars align IMO.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#514 » by JasonStern » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:54 pm

Kanter for TPE
#16 + Ariza for Barton
Harkless with the MLE
Leonard with the BAE
Napier, Labissière with veteran minimums
Hornets stretch Batum, Blazers pick him up on another minimum contract
#46 + Hezonja for TPE

Lillard / Napier
McCollum / Trent / Simons / Hood
Harkless / Barton / Batum / Little
Collins / Leonard / Labissière
Nurkić / Kanter

(Other than Kanter for TPE, not serious at all. But there seems to be a lot of desire recently on the board to bring back former players.)
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#515 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:06 pm

JasonStern wrote:Kanter for TPE
#16 + Ariza for Barton
Harkless with the MLE
Leonard with the BAE
#46 + Hezonja for TPE

Lillard / Napier
Nurkić / Kanter

(Other than Kanter for TPE, not serious at all. But there seems to be a lot of desire recently on the board to bring back former players.)

I don't think I had Batum on my list, but I have mentioned Barton in a trade and really liked Labisserie. I believe I mentioned Leonard for sentimental reasons, but he would definitely be the #15 player on the team and if there is no roster spot available, then see ya! But I do like Barton and Labisserie. Barton gives you another ball handler and Labisserie gives you a scorer and decent defender at the PF and C positions. Oh, and I did mention Napier, as well. He'd be a decent scorer off the bench, something the Blazers drastically need. Your roster doesn't look half bad if you swap Leonard out for a starting PF. That or move Collins to the backup C position and keep Leonard, but still find a starting PF. I would also start Barton and probably leave Harkless off the roster unless he's cheap.

Oh hey, is Aminu available? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#516 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:13 am

JasonStern wrote:Kanter for TPE
#16 + Ariza for Barton
Harkless with the MLE
Leonard with the BAE
#46 + Hezonja for TPE

Lillard / Napier
Nurkić / Kanter

I thought the only player allowed to do 2nd stints with Portland was Steve Blake. What's he doing now?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#517 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:47 pm

I think bringing Harkless back for the MLE would be a great move, retread or not. We are not going to attract or afford Crowder or Jerami, so Mo is probably the next best option.

I hope we use Ariza, Simons, ??? for a upgrade at PF, which I think will be easier to find on the market than an upgrade at SF, and then simply sign Harkless to be our 5th option starting SF, again. Harkless / Hood is a passable SF rotation and better than what we have had in quite some time.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,406

Post#518 » by Blazinaway » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:09 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

I think bringing Harkless back for the MLE would be a great move, retread or not. We are not going to attract or afford Crowder or Jerami, so Mo is probably the next best option.

I hope we use Ariza, Simons, ??? for a upgrade at PF, which I think will be easier to find on the market than an upgrade at SF, and then simply sign Harkless to be our 5th option starting SF, again. Harkless / Hood is a passable SF rotation and better than what we have had in quite some time.

when you say sign Hark for "MLE" do you mean "full MLE", if so that would be a ridiculous overpay IMO
tester551
Analyst
And1: 815

Post#519 » by tester551 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:39 pm

JasonStern wrote:Draft Cole Anthony at 16 - high usage SG in a PG body
Pass on solid long-term backup point guards in Pritchard and Flynn at 46 to draft the "Uzbekistan Ox" Ömer Yurtseven

Don't pick up Ariza's option for cost savings

Sign Meyers Leonard for a 3 year MLE contract (3rd being a team option as Nurkić will be due for an extension)
Whiteside depressed - he would have signed for half of that! But he also didn't start on a team that made the NBA finals!

Re-sign Carmelo Anthony for the BAE (2 year, player option year 2)

Re-sign Wenyen Gabriel for the minimum

Keep one roster spot open

Give a speech about how well we've been doing despite having one of the youngest rosters in the league - 9 of out 14 players are 26 or younger. Lots of players showing tons of promise in practice - lots of hope we have some breakout seasons. Some great veteran leadership in Carmelo and Dame. Plus we're not trading half the roster this season which is good for chemistry:

Lillard (30)/Anthony (20)
McCollum (29)/Trent (21)/Simons (21)
Anthony (36)/Hezonja (25)/Little (20) /Hood (27) (IR)
Collins (22)/Gabriel (23)
Nurkić (26)/Leonard (28)/Yurtseven (22)

Have a solid summer league performance, making Cole Anthony, Trent, Simons, Little, and Gabriel untouchable in trades in Blazers RealGM minds.

Ox becomes the new Ha. Sure, he might only average 0.8ppg, but that 0.8ppg is worth 1.4ppg in our hearts.

Giannis gets traded for a low offer. Blazers fans are annoyed we didn't try to make a trade, but with Anthony, Trent, Simons, Little, and Gabriel untouchable, plus not willing to trade Dame or CJ for a potential rental...

Get the 8th seed by 1 game thanks to some late season Dame heroics. Lose to either the Lakers or Warriors in the 1st round.

Dame gets All-NBA 3rd team, being snubbed for Curry despite beating Curry in every statistical category except team wins.

I think I've seen this movie before... Maybe 2, 3, or 4 times already. :noway:

I don't want this to happen, but I'd say it has a good chance.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#520 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:12 pm

when you say sign Hark for "MLE" do you mean "full MLE", if so that would be a ridiculous overpay IMO

I would hope for 3/15M w/ a TO on Y3. I would go up to 3/18M but its not my money.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers