ImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

What kind of player do you think we need most?

Point Guard
13%
Scoring Guard
62%
Great Shooter
18%
3&D Wing
7%

Total votes: 61

IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,796

Re: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1681 » by IllMagic04 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:22 pm

zaymon wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:
Knightro wrote:If Terry was a better ball handler, I'd be falling over myself to draft him.

But at the same time, if he was a better ball handler, he'd probably be a sure-fire top 10 pick because the rest of his game offensively is pretty good.

I actually think Terry could be a good fit with Fultz because Fultz is big enough to guard 2's and Terry is comfortable off the ball.

If he's actually gained 14 pounds like KOC said, that's an encouraging sign that he may be able to eventually get to a place where he's not BBQ chicken defensively because of his frame.

The Magic could do a lot worse at 15.
Exactly. Plus we can let DJ go but keep MCW. That way he stays on the court with a good defensive guard at all times. I think its a good fit. Im just worried once teams get a look at him in whatever the combine looks like hes gonna get picked earlier. Even if hes there I dont trust this front office to pick him.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

Well somebody will fall to us. I dont know if Terry is Weltmans type but he definetly is smart and Clifford is all about smart players in his interviews.
I just dont see why we would draft Terry over someone like Bane. I dont see a star potential in Tyrell unless he significantly improves his handle.
Im not expecting a star at 15. I prefer a high upside player ( which Terry is) but most likley Im expecting Terry to be a solid instant offense guy off the bench. Anyone with offense skills would be a huge help

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,662

Post#1682 » by MagicMatic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:25 pm

Terry is the higher upside player that also fits a missing skill set in Orlando’s lineups. At 15 you could do a lot worse.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#1683 » by zaymon » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:31 pm

MoMM wrote:
zaymon wrote:I dont see a star potential in Tyrell unless he significantly improves his handle.

Star potential? Aren't you asking too much for a mid 1st pick?

I meant that if i dont see star potential at 15 i would rather draft big, strong shooter (bane)than small, weak shooter(terry).
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#1684 » by MagicMatic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:39 pm

zaymon wrote:
MoMM wrote:
zaymon wrote:I dont see a star potential in Tyrell unless he significantly improves his handle.

Star potential? Aren't you asking too much for a mid 1st pick?

I meant that if i dont see star potential at 15 i would rather draft big, strong shooter (bane)than small, weak shooter(terry).

You’d have to factor in age/upside.

Bane will be 23 years old by the time he steps foot on an nba court. Terry will be 20-21..

Bane:

Terry:

You would have to assume Terry has more room to grow and develop within the 3 year difference. He’s already proven that he’s not done bulking or growing from just this offseason.

I’m a fan of Bane as well, but I’m not sure I’d say he has more upside and Terry would eclipse these numbers if he were 22. My major criticism on Bane (other than age) is that he rarely gets to the line.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#1685 » by zaymon » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:51 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
zaymon wrote:
MoMM wrote:Star potential? Aren't you asking too much for a mid 1st pick?

Bane will be 23 years old by the time he steps foot on an nba court. Terry will be 20-21..

Bane:

Terry:

You would have to assume Terry has more room to grow and develop within the 3 year difference. He’s already proven that he not done bulking or growing from just this offseason. I’m a fan of Bane as well, but I’m not sure I’d say he has more upside and Terry would eclipse these numbers if he were 22.

I understand what you are saying but what is the upside worth taking Terry over Bane short of star ball handler ?
Terry has physical limitations which wont improve enough with age ( unless he grows into 6'4 -6'5).
Look at KCP in the finals which seems to be future Bane/Terry role. He wouldnt be so good if he was not 6'5.
Both Curry and Walker are elite ball handlers which Terry is not. What is the path to stardom or at least being better than Bane in secondary ball handler/ movement shooter role ?
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#1686 » by MagicMatic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:59 pm

zaymon wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
zaymon wrote:I meant that if i dont see star potential at 15 i would rather draft big, strong shooter (bane)than small, weak shooter(terry).

Bane:

Terry:

You would have to assume Terry has more room to grow and develop within the 3 year difference. He’s already proven that he not done bulking or growing from just this offseason. I’m a fan of Bane as well, but I’m not sure I’d say he has more upside and Terry would eclipse these numbers if he were 22.

I understand what you are saying but what is the upside worth taking Terry over Bane short of star ball handler ?
Terry has physical limitations which wont improve enough with age ( unless he grows into 6'4 -6'5).
Look at KCP in the finals which seems to be future Bane/Terry role. He wouldnt be so good if he was not 6'5.
Both Curry and Walker are elite ball handlers which Terry is not. What is the path to stardom or at least being better than Bane in secondary ball handler/ movement shooter role ?

I wouldn’t necessarily call CJ McCollum, Louis Williams, Landry Shamet, or Bryn Forbes “stars” per se. They are all solid starting level/ rotation players that can shoot the ball as undersized combo guards. I believe Terry can at least be similar, possibly better, than a lot of those names listed. I’m not saying I’d object to Bane being drafted either.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,905

Post#1687 » by Knightro » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:48 pm

Jeremy Woo of Sports Illustrated with his Mock 7.0.

1. Minnesota - Anthony Edwards
2. Golden State - James Wiseman
3. Charlotte - LaMelo Ball
4. Chicago - Deni Avdija
5. Cleveland - Obi Toppin
6. Atlanta - Tyrese Haliburton
7. Detroit - Killian Hayes
8. New York - Isaac Okoro
9. Washington - Onyeka Okongwu
10. Phoenix - Precious Achiuwa
11. San Antonio - Patrick Williams
12. Sacramento - Devin Vassell
13. New Orleans - Aaron Nesmith
14. Boston - Saddiq Bey
15. Orlando Magic: Kira Lewis Jr., G, Alabama

Lewis steadily helped himself this season and has an outside chance of sneaking into the lottery. If he’s on the board here, he’d be a strong option for Orlando as a long-term backcourt piece and potential starter who could theoretically play alongside (or take over for) Markelle Fultz. Still just 19 years old, Lewis has a good deal of upside and took a nice leap forward as a sophomore. Stylistically he’s still more scorer than floor general right now and has a lot left to learn, in addition to getting stronger. But Lewis’s impressive speed and bankable jumper have won a lot of people over, and he likely won’t fall too far if he makes it to the teens.

Other notables: Maxey 16, Terry 17, Maledon 18, Pokusevski 19, Hampton 20, Anthony 21

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/10/14/nba-mock-draft-projections-post-finals
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#1688 » by Bensational » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:39 am

zaymon wrote:I understand what you are saying but what is the upside worth taking Terry over Bane short of star ball handler ?

I read that Bane has a negative wingspan of only 6'4, which probably has him wiped off WeHam's board to begin with, but even if not, it would mean Fultz probably has better length for defending SGs than Bane does. Though, Bane does look like the kind of guy that will hit the ground running in the NBA with his experience and physique. Lower ceiling prospect, but he looks like he should be a solid rotational player.

A Fultz/Terry backcourt, with Terry serving predominantly as a catch and shoot player and Fultz serving as lead playmaker (with Vuc/Gordon being secondary facilitators from a high/low post) could make us dangerous. The advantage being that Terry probably accepts a catch and shoot role early on as he's learning, whereas Fournier probably isn't going to be down for that. In the future, I see no reason Terry can't develop into a Brogdon/McCollum level player if he can improve his handles.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#1689 » by Xatticus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:02 am

Def Swami wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:I feel Orl will try to move up for Haliburton. If they dont/can't and stay pat at 15, I think Terry is far and away the best option we could hope for.

The more I watch old clips of Haliburton and listen to his interviews, the more he becomes my favorite prospect in the draft. I really like his game. If the Magic do move up, I would hope it's for Haliburton. But, standing pat at 15 with Terry, Nesmith, and Lewis on the board wouldn't be bad also.

I have mixed feelings about Haliburton. I think the shot will translate and I like how he plays with poise. He is never in a hurry. He reads the game and uses his height to take advantage of passing lanes when they are there. I don't see much upside though. He just isn't dynamic at the offensive end. He doesn't get to the rim and I don't know how he is going to shoot off the dribble with that form. It also concerns me how bad Iowa St. was. Given how impressive his efficiency rates read, you have to wonder how effectual he actually is. I think I will like him as a player, but we don't have the roster that will accentuate his skill set and I don't think he will ever post very impressive stat lines. I think he'd look good playing off of some dynamic like Doncic due to the limited utility of his shooting. He looks like Nate McMillan to me. That's not a criticism.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#1690 » by Xatticus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:31 am

Bensational wrote:
zaymon wrote:I understand what you are saying but what is the upside worth taking Terry over Bane short of star ball handler ?

I read that Bane has a negative wingspan of only 6'4, which probably has him wiped off WeHam's board to begin with, but even if not, it would mean Fultz probably has better length for defending SGs than Bane does. Though, Bane does look like the kind of guy that will hit the ground running in the NBA with his experience and physique. Lower ceiling prospect, but he looks like he should be a solid rotational player.

A Fultz/Terry backcourt, with Terry serving predominantly as a catch and shoot player and Fultz serving as lead playmaker (with Vuc/Gordon being secondary facilitators from a high/low post) could make us dangerous. The advantage being that Terry probably accepts a catch and shoot role early on as he's learning, whereas Fournier probably isn't going to be down for that. In the future, I see no reason Terry can't develop into a Brogdon/McCollum level player if he can improve his handles.

My issue with Bane is his foot speed. He is stiff and slow. Who is he going to cover? Teams will force a switch and iso him. You will have to send help. Offensively, he isn't going to get to the rim. He could attack closeouts in college, but the athletes in the NBA are just different. I think he will be solid at running off of screens for C&S stuff, but he is otherwise limited. He just doesn't have the physical tools of an NBA player. I seriously doubt he is even a consideration for us in the first round. He is just too dissimilar to the types of players this front office has drafted in the past.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#1691 » by zaymon » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:15 am

Xatticus wrote:
Bensational wrote:

My issue with Bane is his foot speed. He is stiff and slow. Who is he going to cover? Teams will force a switch and iso him. You will have to send help. Offensively, he isn't going to get to the rim. He could attack closeouts in college, but the athletes in the NBA are just different. I think he will be solid at running off of screens for C&S stuff, but he is otherwise limited. He just doesn't have the physical tools of an NBA player. I seriously doubt he is even a consideration for us in the first round. He is just too dissimilar to the types of players this front office has drafted in the past.

Bane was elite defending isolations last season, 99 percentile altough on vety small sample size. Here is part of the stepien scouting report on Bane defense

Spoiler:
Potential Switchability: Bane should be able to defend most 2s and 3s seamlessly without help. Bane is not super quick twitch, but he has pretty quick hips, has great anticipation, uses his strength to keep guys from their spot if they do get the initial step, and does a nice job staying locked in on his assignment – he’s not going to give up on plays. However, quicker guards can get the better of Bane in space – the solid hip flips help, but Bane is not particularly quick laterally, which quicker PGs can exploit. Bane’s strength also makes him a switch option defending up. Even though he does not possess a good wingspan for his position, his standing reach is more in line with 2s – average for 2s is 8’5, and Bane’s is 8’4. Though it is obviously still below average for SFs+, Marcus Smart, one of the best and most switchable defenders in the NBA, has a standing reach of 8’3 – his strength helps him defend bigs on switches. Bane possesses a similar frame (215 vs 220 for Smart), knows how to use his lower body as leverage against bigs (nice positioning with his quad as a stopper), and does a nice job using his standing reach to affect shots. If Bane is not fully switchable, he should at least be able to switch onto bigs initially and then use his strength to battle the bigs until help comes – he will be able to buy the defense time. If they then switch back off of him, Bane possesses the IQ and hustle to get back to his man. Basically, Bane could, at the very least, defend 2, 3s, and 4s without help and has the potential to defend 5s similar to Smart…however, until he gets quicker, Bane might not be able to defend quick 1s due lack of high-level lateral quickness.

Smaller, faster guards are not trending upwards. Who would be a problem for Bane in NBA finals ? None. Maybe Dragic but he is problem for everyone regardless of size, and for the most part you have to be smart against him
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#1692 » by Skybox » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:05 am

You lost me at “doesn’t get to the line”
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,088

Post#1693 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:39 pm

Knightro wrote:Jeremy Woo of Sports Illustrated with his Mock 7.0.

1. Minnesota - Anthony Edwards
2. Golden State - James Wiseman
3. Charlotte - LaMelo Ball
4. Chicago - Deni Avdija
5. Cleveland - Obi Toppin
6. Atlanta - Tyrese Haliburton
7. Detroit - Killian Hayes
8. New York - Isaac Okoro
9. Washington - Onyeka Okongwu
10. Phoenix - Precious Achiuwa
11. San Antonio - Patrick Williams
12. Sacramento - Devin Vassell
13. New Orleans - Aaron Nesmith
14. Boston - Saddiq Bey
15. Orlando Magic: Kira Lewis Jr., G, Alabama

Lewis steadily helped himself this season and has an outside chance of sneaking into the lottery. If he’s on the board here, he’d be a strong option for Orlando as a long-term backcourt piece and potential starter who could theoretically play alongside (or take over for) Markelle Fultz. Still just 19 years old, Lewis has a good deal of upside and took a nice leap forward as a sophomore. Stylistically he’s still more scorer than floor general right now and has a lot left to learn, in addition to getting stronger. But Lewis’s impressive speed and bankable jumper have won a lot of people over, and he likely won’t fall too far if he makes it to the teens.

Other notables: Maxey 16, Terry 17, Maledon 18, Pokusevski 19, Hampton 20, Anthony 21

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/10/14/nba-mock-draft-projections-post-finals

I don't see a way Lewis makes it past NY at 8 and then Phoenix at 10. Phoenix has already interviewed him twice so they're definitely showing interest. NY is a dumpster fire full of F's and no real guard.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,139

Post#1694 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:13 pm

Give me Terry, Lewis, or Maxey and I’m happy
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,204

Post#1695 » by thelead » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:14 pm

Just looked up Kira Lewis Jr. Is it me or does he seem to play VERY similarly to Oladipo? Is that his typical comp?

His percentages look good too. I would trade up to get him if necessary.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#1696 » by The Effect » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:58 pm

Im good on maxey, he screams "malik monk" to me. That might be a lazy comparison but thats all i see when i watch him
And we all see how that went with monk\clifford
The Effect

Post#1697 » by The Effect » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:59 pm

thelead wrote:Just looked up Kira Lewis Jr. Is it me or does he seem to play VERY similarly to Oladipo? Is that his typical comp?

His percentages look good too. I would trade up to get him if necessary.

I think the comparison ive read most on him is poor mans de'aron fox?
IllMagic04
Analyst

Post#1698 » by IllMagic04 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:03 pm

The Effect wrote:Im good on maxey, he screams "malik monk" to me. That might be a lazy comparison but thats all i see when i watch him
Where are you seeing that? Monk was a undersized shoting/scoring machine at Kentucky. Maxey is more of a athletic slasher that projects as a solid shooter. I dont see the comp.

The Effect

Post#1699 » by The Effect » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:14 pm

IllMagic04 wrote:
The Effect wrote:Im good on maxey, he screams "malik monk" to me. That might be a lazy comparison but thats all i see when i watch him
Where are you seeing that? Monk was a undersized shoting/scoring machine at Kentucky. Maxey is more of a athletic slasher that projects as a solid shooter. I dont see the comp.

both are 6'3, 195lb shooting guards
Both are very athletic slashers with good shots but take alot of bad shots
Their numbers are pretty identical except for the 3pt shot
Both good defenders

To me, they are similar players except that Monk is more athletic and better shooter
IllMagic04
Analyst

Post#1700 » by IllMagic04 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:31 pm

The Effect wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:

both are 6'3, 195lb shooting guards
Both are very athletic slashers with good shots but take alot of bad shots
Their numbers are pretty identical except for the 3pt shot
Both good defenders

To me, they are similar players except that Monk is more athletic and better shooter
Ok. I can see that. There games just feel way different when watching them play. Maxey feels like a better overall player while Monk was a straight scorer. Maxey has a much better defensive upside then Monk had. I was big on Monk in that draft. Clearly I was wrong and I still dont get why he flopped. I thought his offense would translate for sure. There were clear holes in his game but I saw no reason why he couldnt be a guy to come off the bench and get buckets. I missed that one. Maxey could be a really solid combo guard but obviously the big question mark is his shooting. Im bigger on Terry and Lewis but I do like Maxey.

Return to Orlando Magic