ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers Targets - Free Agent Class 2020

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Re: Lakers Targets - Free Agent Class 2020 

Post#241 » by lazybatman » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 am

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:Look, there's no doubt his shooting was bad these playoffs, which of course is concerning, but he was still a key component of our defense and he was more impactfull on that end than KCP according to win shares and box-plus-minus. FiveThirtyEight even had him as the third most impactful Laker and through these playoffs. Lebron and AD were #1 and #2 overall on the list btw.

As for his game these past couple of seasons, it really isn't something that is open for debate tbh. Whatever metric you look at he's been among the most impactfull two-way wings across the league. I get that his offensive mistakes are loud and that he isn't a lock-down one-on-one defender, but he spaces the floor as well as anyone and quietly plays solid team defense on the other end, which simply translates into wins because it's the type of skills that enable other players to succeed.

We're not going to find that kind of two-way player in free agency using the MLE and dont really get the urgency to trade him.

I'll stop my rant now.

Caruso / Rondo / THT
KCP / Green / JR Smith
Lebron / Josh Jackson (1/4 MLE)
Bertans (s/t) / Markieff (3/4 MLE)
AD / Boogie (BAE/min) / Dwight (BAE/min)

Haha.. that wasn't a rant bro. Fair points - all of them.
But I'm a moron who has to scratch open every healing wound on my body until they start bleeding again. :lol: :lol:
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,956

Post#242 » by Liam_Gallagher » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:04 pm

What do we think the Player Option dudes are gonna do? I'd be surprised if Rondo plays at this level after winning a chip, I'd rather get someone hungry for a piece of the pie. Same with Dwight - these dudes were on a mission this year, it's gonna be hard for them to play hard when they have nothing to prove. I assume Kentavious picks up that player option as not many teams will have cap space to offer him more than his $8.5M. 'Keiff and Dion are probably out as well.

I'd definitely focus on Vet. ring chasers (Cousins, Bertans) or those that can shoot a 3. Hopefully Caruso and Kuz come back even better after this experience.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#243 » by Vae Victus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:48 pm

Here's some trade option ideas i got from the Trade and Transactions board, i'm gonna copy pasta my assessment on the most interesting names offered so far

Main criteria/trait i'm looking for in a target is 3pt shooting, size, expiring contract, defense, playmaking, offensive creation.

I dont see the Lakers moving Green or Kuzma unless the player is higher impact than the one outgoiing. So far the most reasonable names offered up so far, dont fall into that category.

Shroeder - fits most of the criteria, but im not giving up Kuz for him, cuz Kuz provides some size and cheap firepower off the bench. Max i'd give is what i outlined earlier, McGee + Cook + THT + #28, more than enough future value for an expiring player not in OKC's future plans. OKC also saves like 7 mil after they waive Cook.

McBuckets - fits some of the criteria, his defense is poor, but its not like he's gonna play super heavy minutes. He's gonna be the sniper who will help space the floor as needed from the SG/SF spot for LBJ/AD, especially when Green and others arent getting their shots to fall. Doesnt hurt to stack more shooting on a team bottom in the league in 3pt shooting. McGee + Cook + #28 is the deal i'd offer, and can do it before the draft too. If i can get away with offering a future SRP, i'd try that first, but twist my arm, i'd throw in the #28.

Snell - fits some of the criteria, basically a poor man's Green, however he's not much of an upgrade and no way in hell i'd give up Kuz and im unlikely to part with the #28 either. Now i'd give up a future SRP no problem, i'll even let DET choose the year. The only deal i'd offer is McGee + Cook + future SRP, this lets DET save a bunch of cash and even more if they want to waive Cook for the 1 mil hit. Can Snell guard 1s or 4s well? If so i might re-evaluate what im willing to give up.

Satoransky - seems to fit most of the criteria, but the one it doesnt fit is the 2021 cap hit of 5mil guaranteed, is a HUGE one. Now my 2 biggest questions are, can Sato hit wide open 3s at an elite clip, and how is his D? His past season doesnt look good on the 3pt% front, but im willing to chalk that up as a down year playing for a tanking squad. Defensively i've no clue, as i've never watched him play much. Now personally, i'm willing to roll the dice on Sato if his 3pt% is likely to go up and his defense is at least avg. If he turns in a good season playing off of LBJ and AD, then he's a shoe in to opt out and try for a bigger contract during an offesason with LOTS of cap space (the past year or two have seem a MASSIVE dip in FA spending, so future available cap should be enticing to impending FAs). If Sato bombs, then he can be stretched for a 1.67m cap hit, or kept at 10m if the Lakers dont have a 3rd superstar FA coming. Due to the risk factors the most i'd offer is McGee + Cook + #28, no way i'd part with Kuz and THT, but twist my arm i'd throw in some cash (we all know how much GarPax loves dat cash) or maybe even a future SRP. If Sato works out, he'd be a HUGE asset for the Lakers, and thats worth a look at.

The common theme is trading out our flotsam in McGee and Cook as salary filler and adding on other pieces as needed to make value fair. All seem to be capable of hitting the 3 at a solid rate, and they all have a varying skills to bring to the table. Of this list i think i'd go with Sato, i think having a dynamic player on offense will help with the bench. Im also confident he'll turn in a good year playing off of Lebron and AD and thus opt out, preserving 2021 cap space.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#244 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:51 pm

I trust in pelinka to make the correct moves. Everything so far has been a hit. However, this Rondo situation is very very tough to gauge. His age for 1. But also, if you look at the NBA, really, only 1 other point guard can control the whole action of a game.
Rondo can set up, facilitate, pass and control everything on the floor. Our team has Lebron and thats it, without Rondo, Bron is going to have floor general the court for 48mins. We would then be asking an aged Bron to carry that load, and send him to a quicker retirement.
But Rondo can alleviate that. Theres only 1 other floor general type PG in the league outside of Rondo, and he ain't comin. So Rondo is a difficult maneuver with his age, but I trust our front office to make the right call.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,930

Post#245 » by zimpy27 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:30 pm

Vae Victus wrote:Here's some trade option ideas i got from the Trade and Transactions board, i'm gonna copy pasta my assessment on the most interesting names offered so far

Main criteria/trait i'm looking for in a target is 3pt shooting, size, expiring contract, defense, playmaking, offensive creation.

I dont see the Lakers moving Green or Kuzma unless the player is higher impact than the one outgoiing. So far the most reasonable names offered up so far, dont fall into that category.

Shroeder - fits most of the criteria, but im not giving up Kuz for him, cuz Kuz provides some size and cheap firepower off the bench. Max i'd give is what i outlined earlier, McGee + Cook + THT + #28, more than enough future value for an expiring player not in OKC's future plans. OKC also saves like 7 mil after they waive Cook.

McBuckets - fits some of the criteria, his defense is poor, but its not like he's gonna play super heavy minutes. He's gonna be the sniper who will help space the floor as needed from the SG/SF spot for LBJ/AD, especially when Green and others arent getting their shots to fall. Doesnt hurt to stack more shooting on a team bottom in the league in 3pt shooting. McGee + Cook + #28 is the deal i'd offer, and can do it before the draft too. If i can get away with offering a future SRP, i'd try that first, but twist my arm, i'd throw in the #28.

Snell - fits some of the criteria, basically a poor man's Green, however he's not much of an upgrade and no way in hell i'd give up Kuz and im unlikely to part with the #28 either. Now i'd give up a future SRP no problem, i'll even let DET choose the year. The only deal i'd offer is McGee + Cook + future SRP, this lets DET save a bunch of cash and even more if they want to waive Cook for the 1 mil hit. Can Snell guard 1s or 4s well? If so i might re-evaluate what im willing to give up.

Satoransky - seems to fit most of the criteria, but the one it doesnt fit is the 2021 cap hit of 5mil guaranteed, is a HUGE one. Now my 2 biggest questions are, can Sato hit wide open 3s at an elite clip, and how is his D? His past season doesnt look good on the 3pt% front, but im willing to chalk that up as a down year playing for a tanking squad. Defensively i've no clue, as i've never watched him play much. Now personally, i'm willing to roll the dice on Sato if his 3pt% is likely to go up and his defense is at least avg. If he turns in a good season playing off of LBJ and AD, then he's a shoe in to opt out and try for a bigger contract during an offesason with LOTS of cap space (the past year or two have seem a MASSIVE dip in FA spending, so future available cap should be enticing to impending FAs). If Sato bombs, then he can be stretched for a 1.67m cap hit, or kept at 10m if the Lakers dont have a 3rd superstar FA coming. Due to the risk factors the most i'd offer is McGee + Cook + #28, no way i'd part with Kuz and THT, but twist my arm i'd throw in some cash (we all know how much GarPax loves dat cash) or maybe even a future SRP. If Sato works out, he'd be a HUGE asset for the Lakers, and thats worth a look at.

The common theme is trading out our flotsam in McGee and Cook as salary filler and adding on other pieces as needed to make value fair. All seem to be capable of hitting the 3 at a solid rate, and they all have a varying skills to bring to the table. Of this list i think i'd go with Sato, i think having a dynamic player on offense will help with the bench. Im also confident he'll turn in a good year playing off of Lebron and AD and thus opt out, preserving 2021 cap space.

I think the McDermott trade makes sense. It's worth moving a couple of these pieces for a knockdown shooter. However, I don't think the rest o the trades are worth it.

- Lakers need to bring the team back as cheap as possible and add a quality piece in the offseason.
- If Lakers can land a borderline all-star guard through trading anyone but Rondo, Caruso, LeBron, Davis, then they do it.
- Otherwise they should look to add through MLE and consolidate small pieces into better bench players.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#246 » by Vae Victus » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:23 am

Really? I think all of the trades, are very attractive for the Lakers. We give up literally nothing other than a #28, to get a useful role player who expires and does not jeopardize 2021 cap space. Except for Satoransky who has a 10mil team option (WHOOPS, my mistake its a 5mil guarantee or 10mil if the team keeps him, its not really an option, oof that makes him really unattractive now, strike him off the list).

I mean, with what the Lakers have available, there's no 3rd star obtainable in a trade, short of Kuz and THT having steller seasons to up their trade value, which they didnt :(
DS17
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#247 » by DS17 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:51 am

Gallanari anyone?
DS17
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#248 » by DS17 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:54 am

:wink:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:We really need some shooting. This season could of been much more easier on LBJ and AD's bodies if they had adquate space to work with. If we can package Kuz and Green for a reliable sharp-shooter and perhaps a scoring guard, I'd be all over it.

As crappy as it sounds, I still think we need to keep Green for defensive purposes. He’s the only one that can guard quick and large wings. Kieff kuz and lebron can guard slower large wings. While KCP caruso and Bradley are just too small for guarding large wings.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#249 » by DanishLakerFan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:37 am

DS17 wrote:Gallanari anyone?

Yes, please. Would be amazing to have Gallo. But he could be expensive and difficult to get.

He did say that he'd prefer winning over money, but i would imagine he still wants a deal close to 20M.

Kuz, 28th, Cook and Bradley would allow the Lakers to offer a deal starting at 17M.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#250 » by zimpy27 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:47 pm

These are the steps I think will happen in the offseason:
1. Sign AD for 3 years with a player option, gets him to 10 years (with 1 extra insurance year) so he can sign 35% max.
2. Dudley, JR, Dion cap holds renounced
3. Re-sign KCP, Rondo, Cousins with bird rights/cap holds for longer deals
4. Re-sign Markieff with $4m BAE
5. Sign Dwight Howard and Josh Jackson for a 2-year minimum deal
6. Sign Tristan Thompson with $10m MLE.
7. Trade McGee, Cook, pick 28 to Indiana for Doug McDermott

This is the 15-man roster and Kostas is signed on a 2-way
PG: LeBron | Rondo | Bradley
SG: KCP | Caruso | THT
SF: Green | McDermott | Jackson
PF: Davis | Markieff | Kuzma
C : Thompson | Howard | Cousins

Super deep team.

The new guys on the team:
Thompson - long history of playing well with LeBron and an ideal player with AD given his skill at collecting OREBs and he wants to live in LA for most of the season so he will take paycut.
Josh Jackson - could be a great young defender at the perfect size for the Lakers needs but will have to improve offense to be given good minutes.
McDermott - Knockdown shooter at backup SF position, taking the role of a younger Korver, will stretch floor and has improved defense over past year.

I think during the season the Lakers will look to trade a few players to consolidate a starter from another team that may lose an FA for nothing. Thinking Fournier and Oladipo will be targeted using Green or KCP with Kuzma/THT/2027 FRP/2023 SRP.
The plan will be to consolidate Lakers depth for better players in the playoff rotation.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#251 » by TylersLakers » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:30 pm

My perfect off-season:

- Re-sign AD: 2+1
- Trade Kuzma, Danny Green, Avery Bradley, 1st rounder to Indiana for Oladipo
- KCP, Rondo opt in
- JaVale opts out
- Re-sign Markeiff for bi-annual exception
- Sign Aaron Baynes, MLE
- Sign Dudley, Carmelo, Cousins, Harkless to vet minimum deals

G: KCP/Rondo/Cook/
G: Oladipo/Caruso/THT
F: LeBron/Harkless/Carmelo
F: Davis/Morris/Dudley
C: Baynes/Cousins/

Still a roster spot left.
king_james_vers
Junior
And1: 743

Post#252 » by king_james_vers » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:36 pm

zimpy27 wrote:These are the steps I think will happen in the offseason:
1. Sign AD for 3 years with a player option, gets him to 10 years (with 1 extra insurance year) so he can sign 35% max.

Super deep team.

Thompson - long history of playing well with LeBron and an ideal player with AD given his skill at collecting OREBs and he wants to live in LA for most of the season so he will take paycut.
Josh Jackson - could be a great young defender at the perfect size for the Lakers needs but will have to improve offense to be given good minutes.
McDermott - Knockdown shooter at backup SF position, taking the role of a younger Korver, will stretch floor and has improved defense over past year.

I think during the season the Lakers will look to trade a few players to consolidate a starter from another team that may lose an FA for nothing. Thinking Fournier and Oladipo will be targeted using Green or KCP with Kuzma/THT/2027 FRP/2023 SRP.
The plan will be to consolidate Lakers depth for better players in the playoff rotation.

Great post, I love the level of detail.
king_james_vers
Junior

Post#253 » by king_james_vers » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:36 pm

TylersLakers wrote:My perfect off-season:

- KCP, Rondo opt in
- JaVale opts out
- Sign Aaron Baynes, MLE

Love this, and it seems very plausible and realistic.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#254 » by zimpy27 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:51 pm

TylersLakers wrote:My perfect off-season:

- KCP, Rondo opt in
- JaVale opts out
- Sign Aaron Baynes, MLE

- It's all possible except there is no chance that JaVale is opting out. :lol:
- I'd say TT is much more likely than Baynes because he's better on perimeter players but I prefer Baynes.
- I really like Oladipo trade but I keep posting in trade forum and Indy seem to hate it so value may be off or they are major homers.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#255 » by BEazy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:15 am

Well so much for Rondo opting in to his contract.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#256 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:16 am

ScHoolBoy B wrote:Well so much for Rondo opting in to his contract.

It was very unlikely he would opt-in.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#257 » by stan francisco » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:56 am

Super deep team.

Things suddenly changed with Rondo’s decision but I’m with you on most of your thinking. I’d target Ibaka at C. Good versatile defender and he now shoots threes reliably.

My other pipe dream target would be Bertans but we’d better get ready to pay big in a sign and trade for him or they’re not letting him go. I wonder if there is a way. Add a 42.4% 3PT shooter to AD and LBJ ...

Josh Jackson would be an incredible fit. Defense and fast break is his game. His half court offense will come. I’d sign him long term if the price is right. Hard nosed defense wins rings.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#258 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:08 am

stan francisco wrote:

Super deep team.

Things suddenly changed with Rondo’s decision but I’m with you on most of your thinking. I’d target Ibaka at C. Good versatile defender and he now shoots threes reliably.

My other pipe dream target would be Bertans but we’d better get ready to pay big in a sign and trade for him or they’re not letting him go. I wonder if there is a way. Add a 42.4% 3PT shooter to AD and LBJ ...

Josh Jackson would be an incredible fit. Defense and fast break is his game. His half court offense will come. I’d sign him long term if the price is right. Hard nosed defense wins rings.

Well, I expected Rondo to opt out, that's in step 3. I also expect KCP to opt out. Both will stay but for more money and time.

Ibaka would be great but I imagine Raptors pay him big for a 1 year. Bertans likely goes for a lot with the Hawks, I think he's unlikely. McDermott isn't that far off Bertans, not the same but you can't leave either open.

Yeah Josh would be great with these vets and culture. Think he's underrated, could be an excellent wing defender.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#259 » by DanishLakerFan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:16 am

I was hoping Rondo would opt in because they dont have full bird rights on him, which means they'll have to use the BAE or MLE to re-sign him and I fear they'll end up overpaying like they've done so many times in the past.
king_james_vers
Junior

Post#260 » by king_james_vers » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:49 pm

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:I was hoping Rondo would opt in because they dont have full bird rights on him, which means they'll have to use the BAE or MLE to re-sign him and I fear they'll end up overpaying like they've done so many times in the past.

Definitely a concern I have as well. And obviously using those limits our ability to bring other players in.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers