Wolves Interested In Trading Out Of First Overall Pick For Win-Now Player

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Wolves Interested In Trading Out Of First Overall Pick For Win-Now Player 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:59 pm

The Minnesota Timberwolves have interest in trading down from the No. 1 overall pick or out of the drat altogether for a win-now player, executives around the NBA tell Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer.

Towns can't become a free agent until 2024, but the Wolves have an accelerated timeline of contention.  Russell is signed through 22-23. The Wolves last reached the playoffs in 2018.

Gersson Rosas took over the Minnesota front office in 2019.

The Golden State Warriors also are believed to have interest in trading down from No. 2 for a win-now player.

Via Kevin O'Connor/The Ringer

Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Re: Wolves Interested In Trading Out Of First Overall Pick For Win-Now Player 

Post#2 » by Barcs » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:01 pm

Do it, Knicks!
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#3 » by objectivefan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:28 pm

Barcs wrote:Do it, Knicks!

and what package can the Knicks put together to meet the criteria of a "win know" player?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#4 » by shrink » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:31 pm

What does, “they have interest” mean?

i am sure Rosas is not refusing to listen to all offers, just like he said on draft night.

And as usual, RealGM butchers the quote to get more clicks.

“The Minnesota Timberwolves have interest in TRADING DOWN .. OR .. out of the “drat” (sic) altogether...
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#5 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:42 pm

Bradley Beal?
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#6 » by The_Hater » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:38 pm

objectivefan wrote:

and what package can the Knicks put together to meet the criteria of a "win know" player?

This is why you don’t trade Porzingis in return for a bag of basketballs.

I don’t see the Wizards trading Beal for the 1st pick in this weak draft, but maybe if they get other assets as well. Culver, #1 and something else maybe? And if Minnesota looks at Oladipo as a option they would be foolish because he looks broken, but I’m sure Indy will be calling
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#7 » by cheese318 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:43 pm

The_Hater wrote:
objectivefan wrote:

I don’t see the Wizards trading Beal for the 1st pick in this weak draft, but maybe if they get other assets as well. Culver, #1 and something else maybe? And if Minnesota looks at Oladipo as a option they would be foolish because he looks broken, but I’m sure Indy will be calling

Culver, Beasley #1 and I think you pull the trigger
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#8 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:01 pm

Would the Wizards bite on #1/#17/Cullver/Johnson for Beal?
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#9 » by 31to6 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:45 pm

Allll Semi Ojeleye does is win ;)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#10 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:58 pm

objectivefan wrote:

You don't think Julius Randle is a win now player!? :lol:

Note: Sarcasm
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#11 » by Rek » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:16 pm

cheese318 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
objectivefan wrote:

This is the most likely deal I can see out there, not sure how happy Beal would be with this outcome landing in the Minnesota market. But, the resulting combo of Towns + Russell + Beal would be pretty interesting.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#12 » by The_Hater » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:22 pm

Rek wrote:
cheese318 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

This is the most likely deal I can see out there, not sure how happy Beal would be with this outcome landing in the Minnesota market. But, the resulting combo of Towns + Russell + Beal would be pretty interesting.

Potentially a top 3 offense with that core, but the team defense would need a lot of work to get out of the bottom 5.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#13 » by jason bourne » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:38 pm

cheese318 wrote:Culver, Beasley #1 and I think you pull the trigger

#1 could be Anthony Edwards. Too many SGs for the Wizards.

Boy, the Knicks blew it by trading Porzingis too early but they were scared of KP being RFA.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#14 » by prime1time » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:16 am

Bentley1225 wrote:Would the Wizards bite on #1/#17/Cullver/Johnson for Beal?

No
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#15 » by prime1time » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:18 am

Beal isn't going anywhere. Culver is avg and this is a weak draft. If you want Beal you're looking at what it took to get AD IMO. It's a seller's market. New Orleans and OKC have assets that blow any deal that either team can offer out the water.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#16 » by tribulations » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:33 am

prime1time wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:Would the Wizards bite on #1/#17/Cullver/Johnson for Beal?

No

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss, Beal is an UFA at the end of 20/21 - do you see him resigning? I'm inclined to think he won't.

That's a decent return on 1 year of Beal. More a question of whether Minnesota would expose themselves to that level of risk without a promise of a Beal signature past 2021.
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#17 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:22 am

they should go after Jimmy Butler... he's a win now type of guy....

seriously... draft picks 1-5 are virtually the same with an obvious best pick lock once every five years at best.... russell was the 2 pick and while he had one good year he's not a win now player.

so, how are you going to get a "win now" player without giving up more than the number one pick? there is no Shaq in this draft... and if there was the wolves wouldn't trade the pick. zion was considered a lock.... not anymore, (morant was the win now best pick)... wiggins was also the hyped up lock at one...where is he again?

wolves will be lucky to get a borderline all star. they won't come within sniffing distance of even a second tier star like McCullough or Beasley (who are win now) let alone a young franchise player like Luka... could they get a guy like KP (injuries and all?) ... maybe.

the draft is a total crap shoot now especially with so many foreign players... very hard to scout. its is not a bunch of great 3/4 year college guys playing in the same ncaa system anymore. it's the entire world... high schoolers included. good luck with that.

wolves need a leader, that much is obvious. towns is a big talent, Russel is a gunner but they need a captain of that ship. you need a guy in his prime... late prime even who is an alpha and plays both ends... not your best player... but the guy who always wants the last shot and/or to guard the best guy. igudala in his late prime.

or you go for a proven talent with a niche... or maybe gamble on a guy with injuries but is all star level (kp, John wall...) but there's a reason both the 1 and 2 teams want to trade out.

because your dealing with a bunch of unknowns and rolling the dice.

good luck... should have kept butler
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#18 » by TimeisIllmatic » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:52 am

Jrue Holiday would fit the mold of a win-now player. However Minnesota would need a third team possibly even a fourth to help facilitate a deal.

Minnesota may have to end up just drafting BPA which is looking like Edwards for them based on all the chatter.
sssmooth
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#19 » by sssmooth » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:17 am

#1 pick and some players for Devin Booker. I know D Lo, KAT, and Booker have all voiced their intentions of playing together in the future. This is the time! Do it!!!
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#20 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:26 am

TimeisIllmatic wrote:Jrue Holiday would fit the mold of a win-now player. However Minnesota would need a third team possibly even a fourth to help facilitate a deal.

Minnesota may have to end up just drafting BPA which is looking like Edwards for them based on all the chatter.

true holiday is a big time player. great idea but going to need another real asset for that deal. not sure minnesota has one

Return to Wiretap Discussion