ImageImageImageImageImage

West - “Bargnani/Bosh would “blow this NBA outta the water”

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

vexen
Veteran
And1: 886

Re: West - “Bargnani/Bosh would “blow this NBA outta the water” 

Post#61 » by vexen » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:40 pm

Bargnani is complete and utter garbage in any era LOL :lol:
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,125

Post#62 » by duppyy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:08 pm

Bargs would be a rich mans olynyk in this era
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,591

Post#63 » by Son Goku 25 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:20 pm

lolwut wrote:
Son Goku 25 wrote:Lol BC was ahead of the game

Evolution of the game.

Organic growth
Read
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#64 » by Clay Davis » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:28 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:The revisionist history regarding Bargnani is crazy. The guy was a low to mid 30s 3pt shooter for most of his career. He only had 1 season where he shot above 37% from 3.

His one and only strength was shooting and even that wasnt great. He would be mediocre in every era.

He had a good face-up game, it's just that coaches like Sam Mitchell didn't like the idea of a centre playing like that. We chose to play him as a 5 and Bosh as a 4 (when really, we shouldn't have had positions for either).

Bargs not putting on weight and being able to focus on being the person he came into the league as would've been the greatest DJ/INFLUENCER/BLOGGER/LIFESTYLE ADVISOR/MENTAL COACH/PR GURU/TREND-SETTER/FILM PRODUCER/MODEL/ HELICOPTER PILOT/ASTRONAUT TRAINEE/STAY-AT-HOME DAD that the league has ever seen.
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
Grew
Rookie
And1: 1,757

Post#65 » by Grew » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:28 pm

Bargs would still be disinterested and a defensive/effort level liability. The type of player who is so soft it echoes throughout the entire locker room and other guys think they can get away with being that soft too.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#66 » by Clay Davis » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:31 pm

duppyy wrote:Bargs would be a rich mans olynyk in this era

That's a really good player
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,572

Post#67 » by bluerap23 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:09 am

There is no way they could both start together on a contender in the modern Nba.

Bosh would be the ideal centre in today’s nba though.
vascular
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,045

Post#68 » by vascular » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:15 am

Bargs was expected and made to bulk up so Bosh could stay at the PF position. It just slowed him and it wasn't only cause of the primo pasta imo
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,075

Post#69 » by Westside Gunn » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:26 am

Ive been saying this for years. Todays NBA both of these guys would dominate. Bosh was already very good but Bargnani wouldve had a more respectable career.

Colangelo was spot on about his evolution of the game call, but he called it about 10 years early. The league has went extremly soft since then.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#70 » by hsb » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:36 am

Vaclac wrote:Bargnani would be an even worse defender now. The one thing he was decent at defensively was one-on-one post defense which is much more rarely useful now than then. Also he wasn't actually that efficient a shooter, despite that being his primary role.

Iirc, Bargs best defensive attribute was one on one situations, not just one on one in the post. His problems on defense was when he had to think about something else outside the person he was guarding.

The thing about Bargs was he played out of position and started getting injuries post-bulking that removed his prime years pretty much. Bargs, Rudy Gay, Bosh, and JV - I'll never understand why they wanted to bulk these players. So stupid and I'm glad that idea is long over.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#71 » by Danny1616 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:09 am

Westside Gunn wrote:Ive been saying this for years. Todays NBA both of these guys would dominate. Bosh was already very good but Bargnani wouldve had a more respectable career.

Colangelo was spot on about his evolution of the game call, but he called it about 10 years early. The league has went extremly soft since then.

Bosh already did dominate in the NBA, lol.

Bargnani was supposed to be the next Dirk. In case you forgot Dirk was a 3 point shooting 7 footer who was an MVP in the mid-2000s.

Bargnani would be a failure in any era.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#72 » by fbalmeida » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:58 am

I went on to have girlfriends and marry and he never got round to rebounding.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
Sanman9
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#73 » by Sanman9 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:16 am

West just needs to just stay quiet...Bargnani and Bosh barely could guard anyone...Bosh only started really guarding people in Miami...should we even talk bout italpasta Bargnani??
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,460

Post#74 » by Brinbe » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:19 am

imagine if that bounce alley-oop went down... everything would've been different lmfao

IYKYK :lol:
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#75 » by casual_raps_fan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:38 am

Now let's imagine KG in this era.
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#76 » by COY0607 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:00 am

UcanUwill wrote:Bargnani's scoring potential (I say potential because most of his scoring was never substantial enough) was never his problem.

He never had all that potential, was quite overrated. Average to below average shooter, was relatively slow compared to what was sold (which is why he always did better at Centre than at a Forward position), didn't have any explosiveness. And he never found a niche - always tried to do much, or the coaches just asked for too much. Maybe the stigma of being the top selection in the draft.

Compare him to Brook Lopez who has clearly found his niche, and become a really good shooter and much better passer.
rapsdontlie
Pro Prospect
And1: 985

Post#77 » by rapsdontlie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:05 am

Theoretically it makes sense. A Bargs/Bosh combo should thrive in today's NBA. But a Wiggins/KAT combo should've too; they just don't care much about the game.

I'm not putting Bosh in the category of those two (he actually cared), but in terms of drive, IMO Bargs is more Wiggins/KAT than, say, Butler/Kobe/Lebron. And as others mentioned, his defense would be an issue too.

I could be wrong though. Maybe getting beat up every night and being forced to get bigger killed his enthusiasm. I don't know. But I'd still bet that a Bargs/Bosh won't "blow this NBA out of the water".
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#78 » by RonaldArtest » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:44 am

When I read West and then the subject title, I thought it had to be either Kanye or Delonte making that statement.
TheAlchemist
General Manager
And1: 8,228

Post#79 » by TheAlchemist » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:57 am

My only experience at court side floor seats, and it was really cool to see Bargnani up close.

The one thing nobody talks about was his handle. He was undressing guards.

I think we have to factor in something guys, Bargnani was developed by perhaps one of the worst coaching staffs we've ever had.

Sam Mitchell forced the guy to bulk up. A player who played small forward at times and the majority at the power forward spot.

One occasion more shats snitch took Bargnani to a rec league and made him train under the basket, fighting guys for a rebound.

That wasn't the player and a complete miss read.

Bargnani should've been kept slim, in fact they should've told him to lose a tad bit more weight since his rookie season.

He shouldn't of been responsible to command the team defense at the center spot.

He should've been featured offensively and not been beat up cause he was selected 5 picks earlier then he was.

Basically he'd be a power forward version of vuceic with better man D. As well as having a great ability to break his man.

But alas, Bargnani chose apathy and couldn't care less. A motivated Bargnani could've been a pretty decent copy of Dirk.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#80 » by Anatomize » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:41 am

prelude00 wrote:If he stayed lean like he was in his rookie year, he would have been pretty solid. But he just didn't love the game enough to devote himself to it. Just seemed like he was going through the motions at times.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

A good comparison for skinny Bargs would be New Orleans Mirotic.

For all of his confidence issues, our player development at the time was truly horrendous. It would've been an interesting experiement seeing Bargs drafted under Masai.

Return to Toronto Raptors