ImageImageImage

2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

If Suns get Chris Paul, who will be the 2nd leading scorer on the team?

Ayton
94%
Paul
6%

Total votes: 47

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,380

Re: 2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes 

Post#2381 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:39 pm

King4Day wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

I'm afraid to go after him. He might turn out great but I'm worried he could be paid a lot and regress if not in the right system.
I'd rather stick with what we have for now unless he's reasonably priced. I'm not paying 10-15 mil for multiple years for the guy. Not without a bigger sample size at least.

I can understand understand your apprehension man! :nod:
However, I'm only talking about offering no more than 10- 11 million per, With a 3rd yr Team option ( Just to get him through 2021). Basically at 10 million per ( Frontloaded deal) we'd be fitting him in the salary slot vacated by Kaminsky ( 5 million) and Baynes ( 5 million) to equal his 10 million per offer.

And I'd offer bonus ( benchmark) incentives that IF he maintains his production, And additionally makes improvements to his overall game, Then his bonus incentives could afford him another 3-5 million tops). Or we could do a front loaded de -escalating contract with a 3rd yr team option. I think that it's important to sign him now, Before his contractual value potentially escalates, IF he does maintain his trajectory. However, Even if he does somewhat regress, He'd still be around a 10- 11 million expiring contract in 2021 ( Team option in 2022) which any team would be able to decline in a worst case scenario, So he'd be very tradable to a team looking for additional cap space in 21'- 22'.

I look at it like this, Kaminsky is slated to make around 5 million, and Saric could get around 8- 11 possibly. So you have to ask yourself is what Wood has recently shown, worth twice as much as what Kaminsky provided? Or equal to perhaps slightly less than what the majority of people are discussing giving to Saric? We definitely have frontcourt depth issues to consider if we decline Kaminsky and lose Baynes. Saric is not enough alone alongside of Ayton to fill that frontcourt gap. But Wood has the switchability/ capability actually cover both the 4 and the 5 for us, whilst adding much better floor spacing, And actual athleticism/ rim protection/ energy. With Wood, We can quite likely still keep Oubre, And double up on the energy/ tenacity/ athleticism that Oubre brings as Wood is basically a bigger better 3 pt shooting 4/5 version of Oubre.

So even IF we were to somehow lose Oubre in 2021 free agency, We'd still have a bigger, longer version of Oubre in Woods on the roster. And only at around 10- 11 million. Which bodes very well for our cap flexibility towards resigning Bridges and Ayton.

Lastly, We could run him at times at backup center alongside either Cam ( at the 4) or Woods at the 4 himself with Saric at the 5, And cam at the 3, etc. Our rotational flexibility and switchability would be nearly infinite! And should Woods blow up and show even better production with a true facilitator ( Rubio), Then we have a premium trade asset towards a star trade ( Giannis or Anthony perhaps)?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2382 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:00 pm

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/phoenix-suns-salary-cap-space-2020/

Funny that we were just discussing the suns cap and possibilities, And this article was just posted this morning.

Projected Waivers/Renouncements

Aron Baynes- UFA ( Renounced).
Jevon Carter- UFA (No Qualifying Offer, Renounced).
Cheick Diallo- UFA ( Renounced).
Frank Kaminsky- UFA (Renounced).
Elie Okobo- UFA (Waived)
Tariq Owens- UFA ( Renounced).
Cameron Payne- UFA (Renounced).
- Dario Saric UFA ( No Qualifying Offer, Renounced).

2020 NBA Draft Picks:

2020 Pick #10- $4,245,720

Cap space team with around $18.9M in cap space. That’s enough for them to add an impact player this offseason. The other option is to prioritize re-signing their own free agents and staying over the cap.If the Suns go the cap space route, how to fill out the big man rotation? Going for cap space would mean renouncing Aron Baynes, Dario Saric and Frank Kaminsky. All three were regular rotation players next to and behind Deandre Ayton.

Projected Team Salary
$87,521,901[/u

[u]Even though it’s not the best free agent class, Phoenix could be positioned to snag and impact player or two with about $18.9M in cap space.
The Suns are an up-and-coming team with good young players. Several veterans could see themselves as the guy to put them over the top and into the playoffs again. For that reason, expect Phoenix to chase cap space, with re-signing their own free agents as their fallback plan. (@KeithSmithNBA)

Cap Space Forecast

$18,923,169 (2nd out of 30)
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#2383 » by RunDogGun » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:24 pm

I kind of feel its better to operate over the cap and use the full MLE to get a vet to round out the core.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,050

Post#2384 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:43 pm

RunDogGun wrote:I kind of feel its better to operate over the cap and use the full MLE to get a vet to round out the core.

I think we all agree with this, but will Sarver feel this way? I have a feeling he will not want to exceed the cap, especially by the amount of the MLE, BAE and whatever he goes over to re-sign people. It would also require keeping Baynes (or paying Saric a lot) and Baynes re-signing here is up to him..he may want to go elsewhere, though I'd love to keep him.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#2385 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Didn't realize the deadline was this soon. I expect them to extend QOs to both guys because you can actually pull it later on as long as the player hasn't signed it and players only ever sign those as a last resort if FA doesn't go their way.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2386 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:50 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259876/NBA-To-Reopen-Transaction-Window-Before-Nov-18th-Draft

Teams are not currently allowed to sign players to an extension, waive players under contract and conduct trades with another team, but that transaction moratorium will likely get lifted once there is an agreement on an amended collective bargaining agreement. This will likely occur before the draft on November 18th.

The first verbally agreed upon trade during the 2019 window was between the New Orleans Pelicans and Los Angeles Lakers in the Anthony Davis deal on June 15th.

Free agency is expected to begin on or around December 1st.

BRIAN WINDHORST/ESPN

How might this affect any potential draft night trades? Especially if discussions can be had on/ before draft night?
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,092

Post#2387 » by Frank Lee » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:16 pm

How bout a new poll? It’s f-n a joke and a face slap to Book. HE is our franchise player and we have yet to see his peak.

Y’all play the fool long enough you become one.
What ? Me Worry ?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#2389 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:35 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/10/14/former-suns-head-coach-explains-he-wanted-to-draft-jayson-tatum-and-jamal-murray/

Does anyone think this could be true? IF so, Why didn't it happen?
Well this guy claims to have been at the Tatum workout and disputes some of Watsons claims.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2390 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:05 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/10/14/former-suns-head-coach-explains-he-wanted-to-draft-jayson-tatum-and-jamal-murray/

Well this guy claims to have been at the Tatum workout and disputes some of Watsons claims.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

.Owner stops it. 'Do something else!'"

That's simply so depressing to hear. Sarvers' obviously noted interference in important draft decisions was just so very bad for our team back then! Just imagine IF he had actually endorsed Tatum and Murray? Where we might have ended up? Certainly not with Ayton ( most likely) But still likely a definite playoff team by already. But thanks for the info man! :D
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#2391 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:39 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=19

That's simply so depressing to hear. Sarvers' obviously noted interference in important draft decisions was just so very bad for our team back then! Just imagine IF he had actually endorsed Tatum and Murray? Where we might have ended up? Certainly not with Ayton ( most likely) But still likely a definite playoff team by already. But thanks for the info man! :D
This dude is disputing that sarver thing actually happened, I have no idea who he is or if he was actually there.

Tatum was never ever getting past Boston that draft so it's all really moot.

Watson might have like Murray but Watson also wasn't the GM.

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#2392 » by Saberestar » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:57 pm

Read on Twitter

Joe Johnson anyone as a veteran presence who can help in some games here and there?

I would sign him. We do not have a player like him on the roster.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,293

Post#2393 » by sunskerr » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:07 am

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Joe Johnson anyone as a veteran presence who can help in some games here and there?

He might want to get a ring but yes it would be nice for a one year deal especially since it seems like we're actually (actually) trying to compete for a playoff spot this year.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2394 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:11 am

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nothing wrong with having a veteran presence with a history with our franchise. I think he'd be a great mentor for Cam, And maybe even Oubre as well! :nod:
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#2395 » by suns12345 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:39 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Well this guy claims to have been at the Tatum workout and disputes some of Watsons claims.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

This dude is disputing that sarver thing actually happened, I have no idea who he is or if he was actually there.

Tatum was never ever getting past Boston that draft so it's all really moot.

Watson might have like Murray but Watson also wasn't the GM.

Watson is on McD level when it comes to making stuff up to portray their Suns tenure in a better way IMO. I couldn't care less what he says
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,092

Post#2396 » by Frank Lee » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:56 am

No mystery why both Watson and McDontKnowWhatToDoNow are not working
What ? Me Worry ?
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#2397 » by cberry78 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:02 am

Frank Lee wrote:No mystery why both Watson and McDontKnowWhatToDoNow are not working

"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,307

Post#2398 » by DirtyDez » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:43 am

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Still time for that 6yr/50m deal...
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,804

Post#2399 » by RedIndian » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:18 am

Watson and McD have both been extremely childish and unprofessional in their comments since they left.

I mean everyone loves to **** on Sarver, but some of these stories are downright ridiculous.

Return to Phoenix Suns