Lakers Targets - Free Agent Class 2020

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,510

Re: Lakers Targets - Free Agent Class 2020 

Post#261 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:51 pm

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:I was hoping Rondo would opt in because they dont have full bird rights on him, which means they'll have to use the BAE or MLE to re-sign him and I fear they'll end up overpaying like they've done so many times in the past.

My hope is that it is a 3 year deal for 15m.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
DS17
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#262 » by DS17 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:21 pm

IDK about yall, but I think Aaron Baynes wouldd be PERFECT for this team. He bangs down low hard and he can shoot threes; perfect for a 5 beside AD playing th 4
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,755

Post#263 » by evilpimp972 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:21 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:I was hoping Rondo would opt in because they dont have full bird rights on him, which means they'll have to use the BAE or MLE to re-sign him and I fear they'll end up overpaying like they've done so many times in the past.

My hope is that it is a 3 year deal for 15m.

He's 34 man....
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,755

Post#264 » by evilpimp972 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:22 pm

It's time to adress shooting.
Make that paint packing bs disappear, time to find an ELITE shooter
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#265 » by DanishLakerFan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:53 pm

KCP opts out, but they have Bird rights and are over the cap so they can pay him later.
Rondo opt out, which sucks. At his age it would suck to spend the entire MLE on him, but if we're lucky they split the MLE between him and someone else. The question is if they're preserving cap space for 2021. In that case i would expect both KCP and Rondo to want a lot of money NOW since they likely would get cut in 2021.
AmusingFiddle
Rookie
And1: 315

Post#266 » by AmusingFiddle » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:14 pm

I kinda want Boogie amd Howard over McGee,Cook/KCP.
We can use Kuz/Green and 28th to get some shooters. Is JJ a good option if NOP willing to play?

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
hazy_01
Rookie
And1: 362

Post#267 » by hazy_01 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:50 pm

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:KCP opts out, but they have Bird rights and are over the cap so they can pay him later.
Rondo opt out, which sucks. At his age it would suck to spend the entire MLE on him, but if we're lucky they split the MLE between him and someone else. The question is if they're preserving cap space for 2021. In that case i would expect both KCP and Rondo to want a lot of money NOW since they likely would get cut in 2021.

We have Rondo's early bird rights, we don't need to spend the MLE on him (it's the same amount essentially). Now Dwight is where the problem lies, if he wants a big pay day, we might have to offer MLE (or portion of it)
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#268 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:00 pm

zimpy27 wrote:These are the steps I think will happen in the offseason:
1. Sign AD for 3 years with a player option, gets him to 10 years (with 1 extra insurance year) so he can sign 35% max.
2. Dudley, JR, Dion cap holds renounced
3. Re-sign KCP, Rondo, Cousins with bird rights/cap holds for longer deals
4. Re-sign Markieff with $4m BAE
5. Sign Dwight Howard and Josh Jackson for a 2-year minimum deal
6. Sign Tristan Thompson with $10m MLE.
7. Trade McGee, Cook, pick 28 to Indiana for Doug McDermott

This is the 15-man roster and Kostas is signed on a 2-way
PG: LeBron | Rondo | Bradley
SG: KCP | Caruso | THT
SF: Green | McDermott | Jackson
PF: Davis | Markieff | Kuzma
C : Thompson | Howard | Cousins

Super deep team.

The new guys on the team:
Thompson - long history of playing well with LeBron and an ideal player with AD given his skill at collecting OREBs and he wants to live in LA for most of the season so he will take paycut.
Josh Jackson - could be a great young defender at the perfect size for the Lakers needs but will have to improve offense to be given good minutes.
McDermott - Knockdown shooter at backup SF position, taking the role of a younger Korver, will stretch floor and has improved defense over past year.

I think during the season the Lakers will look to trade a few players to consolidate a starter from another team that may lose an FA for nothing. Thinking Fournier and Oladipo will be targeted using Green or KCP with Kuzma/THT/2027 FRP/2023 SRP.
The plan will be to consolidate Lakers depth for better players in the playoff rotation.

Update to this is that I think Lakers offer Dwight the min but I'm not sure if Dwight takes the min.
Other teams will offer BAE, but I doubt Lakers do. It will be up to Dwight deciding to take a little more money or stay a Laker.
I'm hopeful he stays and I understand why he won't get paid by LA, Markieff was better and it was a problem to have Dwight out there at times, his +/- for the playoffs were not friendly-looking as much as he helped in the Nuggets series.

I'm pretty sure Lakers want the C rotation to be Tristan Thompson and Cousins. With Markieff and AD going there if necessary.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#269 » by Vae Victus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:18 pm

Not a chance in hell is Rondo, DHo, or Kieff gonna get multi year deals and jeopardize the 2021 FA plan.

At most Rondo can get a small bump to like 4-5m 1+1 unguaranteed deal, due to having his early bird rights we can give him a bump up to 10 mil per season. DHo and Kieff also get similar 1+1 offers via vet min or using the BAE. Ideally save the full non tax payer MLE to go find another shooter on a 1+1 team option type of deal. Worse case, you slice up the MLE to keep DHo and Kieff on larger 1+1 TO deals.

Rondo has had his chance with a plethora of other teams, he just doesnt work on a squad without bonifide super duper stars and he's old. DHo is a nice piece, but has proven to be able to be neutralized in the playoffs and getting older, id be loathe to give him much more than the vet min tbh, id just try to replace him with Boogie. Kieff is a nice player, will try to keep him as cheaply as possible, but if someone tosses him an MLE type of deal at multiple years, cant justify keeping him.

If Rondo wants to be greedy, i'd rather trawl the FA market for vet min targets who are hungry for a chance at redemption. Personally i think Rondo and DHo, have lost that edge.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach

Post#270 » by Vae Victus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:24 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
1. Sign AD for 3 years with a player option, gets him to 10 years (with 1 extra insurance year) so he can sign 35% max.

Super deep team.

Thompson - long history of playing well with LeBron and an ideal player with AD given his skill at collecting OREBs and he wants to live in LA for most of the season so he will take paycut.
Josh Jackson - could be a great young defender at the perfect size for the Lakers needs but will have to improve offense to be given good minutes.
McDermott - Knockdown shooter at backup SF position, taking the role of a younger Korver, will stretch floor and has improved defense over past year.

I think during the season the Lakers will look to trade a few players to consolidate a starter from another team that may lose an FA for nothing. Thinking Fournier and Oladipo will be targeted using Green or KCP with Kuzma/THT/2027 FRP/2023 SRP.
The plan will be to consolidate Lakers depth for better players in the playoff rotation.

Update to this is that I think Lakers offer Dwight the min but I'm not sure if Dwight takes the min.
Other teams will offer BAE, but I doubt Lakers do. It will be up to Dwight deciding to take a little more money or stay a Laker.
I'm hopeful he stays and I understand why he won't get paid by LA, Markieff was better and it was a problem to have Dwight out there at times, his +/- for the playoffs were not friendly-looking as much as he helped in the Nuggets series.

I'm pretty sure Lakers want the C rotation to be Tristan Thompson and Cousins. With Markieff and AD going there if necessary.

MLE for Tristan Thompson doesnt seem all that wise to me. I feel we can find bigs who can do 75% of what he provides but for the vet min. Would rather use that MLE slot on a 3D shooter with some size. Dream shot is someone like Gallinari, but even someone like Joe Harris would be nice. If the trade is for McBuckets, then i'd use that MLE for the best PG we can find for 1+1 TO. If the trade is for Shroeder (since i know you were part of that thread discussing these ideas), then we'd ideally sign someone like Gallo/Harris shooter type.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#271 » by TylersLakers » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:31 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
TylersLakers wrote:My perfect off-season:

- Re-sign AD: 2+1
- Trade Kuzma, Danny Green, Avery Bradley, 1st rounder to Indiana for Oladipo
- KCP, Rondo opt in
- JaVale opts out
- Re-sign Markeiff for bi-annual exception
- Sign Aaron Baynes, MLE
- Sign Dudley, Carmelo, Cousins, Harkless to vet minimum deals

G: KCP/Rondo/Cook/
G: Oladipo/Caruso/THT
F: LeBron/Harkless/Carmelo
F: Davis/Morris/Dudley
C: Baynes/Cousins/

Still a roster spot left.

- It's all possible except there is no chance that JaVale is opting out. :lol:
- I'd say TT is much more likely than Baynes because he's better on perimeter players but I prefer Baynes.
- I really like Oladipo trade but I keep posting in trade forum and Indy seem to hate it so value may be off or they are major homers.

They're not getting an Oladipo trade better than that. Any team that trades for him knows they're going to have to near-max contract him in the off-season or they lose him. Also, there's lots of teams that have their sights higher in 2021 than Oladipo. That matters and that will impact the trade market.

Indiana's team salary is also really high. They have $122M in next year salary on the books. Them doing this trade and including McDermott saves them money and gets them assets while also keeping them still competitive. If they want to get off more money, replace McDermott with Lamb and we add in Quinn Cook.

So the trade would be Kuz, Green, Bradley, 2020 1st for Oladipo, McDermott

A team of:

Brogdon/Green/Warren/Turner/Sabonis with Bradley, Kuzma, Lamb, Holiday off the bench is certainly in the mix for a play-off team.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#272 » by BEazy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:32 pm

For the love of God, no to Tristan Thompson. He will be the new Danny Green on this roster but worse.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#273 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:36 pm

Vae Victus wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Super deep team.

MLE for Tristan Thompson doesnt seem all that wise to me. I feel we can find bigs who can do 75% of what he provides but for the vet min. Would rather use that MLE slot on a 3D shooter with some size. Dream shot is someone like Gallinari, but even someone like Joe Harris would be nice. If the trade is for McBuckets, then i'd use that MLE for the best PG we can find for 1+1 TO. If the trade is for Shroeder (since i know you were part of that thread discussing these ideas), then we'd ideally sign someone like Gallo/Harris shooter type.

I kind of agree that it's not my first choice, this is just what I think will happen based on the swirling of rumours and logical intentions. However, TT has a long history of playing well with LeBron and he is an offensive rebounding machine that can guard perimeter as well as other Cs. He's also improved his shooting last couple years. Howard is 75% of TT and if he could be had for vet min then you take it, just doesn't seem likely.

Gallo is unrealistic but of course, you take Gallo if you can. Schroder would be a good add if Rondo becomes too expensive. I think if Rondo leaves then first need will be to get a backup PG to replace him. Bledsoe maybe. Always look at the Klutch connection, TT is with Klutch.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach

Post#274 » by Vae Victus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:11 pm

For backup PG (or more likely 3rd string since Lebron will be defacto PG alot of time) you just go get someone like Lin or Augustine for the vet min.

I like Lin cuz i feel he has more upside than most vet min old vets. He's been getting alot of PT in China as the lead guy, made the playoffs, played well against the eventual CBA champs, and his knees have held up so far. A healthy 31 year old Lin can do alot more than most decripit vet mins types, and ideally he should be playing 8-12 mins a game, more if he plays well, cut from the team if he cant hack it. That's lovely upside for a 3rd string PG.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#275 » by stan francisco » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:26 pm

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:KCP opts out, but they have Bird rights and are over the cap so they can pay him later.

I’m not as sure about KCP opting out as you are. The Covid market will mean smaller contracts. You’d be hard pressed to find more value for your buck than Rondo and KCP on current contracts but I think KCP won’t net THAT much more in the 2020-21 FA market from another team. He might just stay a Laker, go for another ring and take his chances with UFA after Covid.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#276 » by TylersLakers » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:12 am

ScHoolBoy B wrote:For the love of God, no to Tristan Thompson. He will be the new Danny Green on this roster but worse.

Yeah, unless it's for a vet minimum, I wouldn't sign him at all.
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#277 » by TylersLakers » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:14 am

stan francisco wrote:

I’m not as sure about KCP opting out as you are. The Covid market will mean smaller contracts. You’d be hard pressed to find more value for your buck than Rondo and KCP on current contracts but I think KCP won’t net THAT much more in the 2020-21 FA market from another team. He might just stay a Laker, go for another ring and take his chances with UFA after Covid.

KCP will opt out and the Lakers will re-sign him to a bigger deal. I totally forgot about his Bird Rights and the fact he's played 3 years with us.

He'll opt out and I can see him re-signing for a 3 year deal starting at $10-12M per season.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#278 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:35 am

I wonder if Ibaka would fit, and price
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#279 » by TylersLakers » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:52 am

Eric Pincus put out an article today on Bleacher Report about possibly acquiring CP3. What would everyone think of that?

The deal would look like Kuzma, Green, Cook, Bradley, McGee, 1st rounder for Paul

I don't completely hate the idea. Paul's salary is insane however it allows us to maximize this window.

- Re-sign KCP using Bird Rights, 3 year deal starting at 10M.
- Re-sign Dwight Howard
- Markieff Morris to bi-annual exception
- MLE to Gallinari
- Sign Carmelo, Dudley, Cousins, Matthews to veteran minimum deals

G: Paul/Caruso/THT
G: KCP/Matthews/
F: LeBron/Gallinari/
F: Davis/Carmelo/Dudley
C: Howard/Cousins/Morris

Still have 2 more roster spots to fill. Someone like Kyle Korver? Jeff Teague? Paul Millsap? Harkless? There will be vets who go ring hunting.

We really do have a ton of options this summer to improve the roster.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#280 » by DanishLakerFan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:44 am

TylersLakers wrote:Eric Pincus put out an article today on Bleacher Report about possibly acquiring CP3. What would everyone think of that?

The deal would look like Kuzma, Green, Cook, Bradley, McGee, 1st rounder for Paul

I don't completely hate the idea. Paul's salary is insane however it allows us to maximize this window.

- Re-sign KCP using Bird Rights, 3 year deal starting at 10M.
- Re-sign Dwight Howard
- Markieff Morris to bi-annual exception
- MLE to Gallinari
- Sign Carmelo, Dudley, Cousins, Matthews to veteran minimum deals

G: Paul/Caruso/THT
G: KCP/Matthews/
F: LeBron/Gallinari/
F: Davis/Carmelo/Dudley
C: Howard/Cousins/Morris

Still have 2 more roster spots to fill. Someone like Kyle Korver? Jeff Teague? Paul Millsap? Harkless? There will be vets who go ring hunting.

We really do have a ton of options this summer to improve the roster.

Of course, if we had CP3 instead of Kuz/Green these playoffs, we would be in a good spot and i wouldn't necessarily be against such a deal, but we would struggle a lot to fill out the roster since we only would have the tax-payer MLE (6M).

In a nutshell i think i might do this deal if i knew that the front office had a good plan to round out the roster.

Question: Is CP3 worth that kind of money at this point in his career? I know the thunder are hoping to get multiple FRPs for him, but realistically that is way the hell more than he's worth. Another option would be to simply offer them KCP on a 1yr sign-and-trade. Sure KCP at 33M is a massive overpay, but he fits fine next to SGA-Schroeder and is 25% cheaper than CP3, who you shouldnt want to be paying 44M in 2021-22 unless you're contending for a title. Also, KCP could be used as salary balast in another deal during the season.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers