ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(783 new cases Oct 15th) 

Post#661 » by 13th Man » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:30 pm

D.Brasco wrote:There would be no need for continued lockdowns if Canadians embraced the same mask acceptance culture as many east Asian nations do.

Not wearing a mask doesn't make you a badass hero. In Asia doing that you'd be looked at like a dumbass.

Imo, it's not a mask issue, more so a social distancing issue especially with the younger demographic attending parties, events and gatherings recklessly.

As for the gyms I think they should have just restricted group fitness classes, not close down all the gyms altogether.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,440

Post#662 » by mtcan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:45 pm

13th Man wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:There would be no need for continued lockdowns if Canadians embraced the same mask acceptance culture as many east Asian nations do.

Not wearing a mask doesn't make you a badass hero. In Asia doing that you'd be looked at like a dumbass.

Imo, it's not a mask issue, more so a social distancing issue especially with the younger demographic attending parties, events and gatherings recklessly.

As for the gyms I think they should have just restricted group fitness classes, not close down all the gyms altogether.

It is also a mask issue. You have idiots like that roided body builder guy (I refuse to mention his name) out there planning anti mask parties and rallies because they don't like being told what to do. These are some of the idiots I'm referring to.

It won't hurt to do it. It is respectful of others around you...just do it.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,352

Post#663 » by D.Brasco » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:26 pm

Look at these morons in downtown Toronto. Litterally doing something that will just make more lockdowns likey despite their protest of them.

Read on Twitter
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#664 » by Wo1verine » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:26 pm

If some are paranoid about people not wearing mask stay home pretty simple - Some can't wear one and they don't have to explain nor do they deserve what some idiots have done to them like the public shaming you see every so often- I told some Anfifa beta virgin male scumbags to lay off a random grandma and they did don't be afraid to stick up for the people who have the right under the law to go out and shop mask less folks!

Like Public heath says be covid-kind!
BrunoSkull
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,093

Post#665 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:01 pm

13th Man wrote:

Exactly. In the gym I work out at (Hone Fitness), everyone was wearing a mask (except for the actual exercise), keeping separate and wiping down the equipment. Except for that idiotic Hamilton fitness class, reports are that normal gym participation is not high risk. The Norway study indicated that gym attendance doesn't change risk of infection, and a South Korean outbreak was linked only to fitness classes.

https://www.mdlinx.com/physiciansense/is-it-safe-to-go-back-to-the-gym-heres-what-research-shows/
execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,171

Post#666 » by execoftheyear » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:07 pm

13th Man wrote:

If you look up videos of the subway in Japan you'll notice they don't really social distance. Difference is majority of the people wear masks.

Social distancing is basically an additional measure put in place because not everyone has fully embraced the concept of wearing a mask. If majority of people accepted that masks worked and educate themselves on how to properly use one, I'd expect less strict measures would be implemented. Yet we still see anti-mask rallies and false information spread about the dangers of wearing a mask or all these conspiracy theories that are encouraging people to not take this thing seriously. Those anti-mask rallies aren't just about masks. They're usually tied to the covid-is-a-hoax camp and all these political conspiracies. This spread of misinformation is the issue and it's causing the (mostly) younger demographic to not take this as serious as it needs to be taken.

Mask usage is a simple solution but only works if enough people wear one.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,016

Post#667 » by ItsDanger » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:16 pm

D.Brasco wrote:Look at these morons in downtown Toronto. Litterally doing something that will just make more lockdowns likey despite their protest of them.

Read on Twitter

Ask the doctors about specifics of aerodynamics outdoors. Nothing else. I want them to explain the risk here. They won't quantify it. The risk for viral transmission is higher indoors by a lot. Its not close either. I have no opinion on who these people in the video are.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(746 new cases Oct 13th) 

Post#668 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:22 pm

raptorstime wrote:Why are there Canadians who wear MAGA hats and carry around the Trump flag? It never made sense to me.

Trump represents a level of bigotry and ignorance that Canadian politicians don't.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(721 new cases Oct 14th) 

Post#669 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:24 pm

13th Man wrote:It's also sad that there are so many Canadians that are heavily invested into hating on Trump.

All evil needs to exist is for good people to do nothing.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#670 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:26 pm

BigBoss23 wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:
NinjaBro wrote:shut down the economy.

Shut down the economy means you can't buy food, gas etc.

This has never happened and has never been suggested. This is childish hyperbole.

Easier to generate mass hysteria with just the total number of cases.

The real target audience to protect are the vulnerable but yeah let's close the gyms guys. Insanity this world is becoming. All the shaming by the Karens.

Dont feel safe? Stay the **** home. No one's forcing you to go anywhere.

You should take some time and read up on the litany of long term effects of this disease. Anyone focusing on deaths is missing the big picture.

Thomas Jefferson U published a study on healthy young adults having strokes from this disease. That's just 1 off the top of my head.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#671 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:27 pm

NinjaBro wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:
NinjaBro wrote:shut down the economy.

This has never happened and has never been suggested. This is childish hyperbole.

What the hell is wrong with you? Why would you take snippets of my post and use it out of context? I never said we should shut down the economy. Here's the entire sentence that I wrote:

NinjaBro wrote:I'm all for doing everything we can to contain the virus but we can do it thoughtfully without having to shut down the economy.

This has never happened and has never been suggested. This is childish hyperbole

Better?
13th Man
General Manager

Post#672 » by 13th Man » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:33 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
raptorstime wrote:Why are there Canadians who wear MAGA hats and carry around the Trump flag? It never made sense to me.

Trump represents a level of bigotry and ignorance that Canadian politicians don't.

Disagree but I don't think that this thread is suited for this type of discussion/debate. Just wanted to point out the fact that there are just as many or even more on the other side of the coin in Canada, they are commonly referred to as folks with TDS. I'll stop here.
13th Man
General Manager

Post#673 » by 13th Man » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:03 pm

execoftheyear wrote:
13th Man wrote:

If you look up videos of the subway in Japan you'll notice they don't really social distance. Difference is majority of the people wear masks.

Social distancing is basically an additional measure put in place because not everyone has fully embraced the concept of wearing a mask. If majority of people accepted that masks worked and educate themselves on how to properly use one, I'd expect less strict measures would be implemented. Yet we still see anti-mask rallies and false information spread about the dangers of wearing a mask or all these conspiracy theories that are encouraging people to not take this thing seriously. Those anti-mask rallies aren't just about masks. They're usually tied to the covid-is-a-hoax camp and all these political conspiracies. This spread of misinformation is the issue and it's causing the (mostly) younger demographic to not take this as serious as it needs to be taken.

Do you think the weather in Asian also plays a factor compared to that in Canada? From my observation and in theory, Covid thrives on the colder weather and is why we're witnessing a 2nd wave right now. This is not really a surprise though as many have predicted early on that it would be another wave in the fall.

Recall that the numbers started to drop big time across Canada in what...May/June as the weather started to get warm and now is picking up again.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,611

Post#674 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:15 pm

It doesn't thrive in cold weather. It thrives when a bunch of people are inside together. That just happen more often when the weather is cold.

-Wear a mask.
-Government pays high risk businesses like restaurants and bars etc. to remain closed for like 6-9 more months.
-Huge test and trace program.

Nothing has changed in the last 6 months. That has always been the way to get the infection numbers down so we can live somewhat normal lives.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#675 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:18 pm

13th Man wrote:Do you think the weather in Asian also plays a factor compared to that in Canada? From my observation and in theory, Covid thrives on the colder weather and is why we're witnessing a 2nd wave right now. This is not really a surprise though as many have predicted early on that it would be another wave in the fall.

Recall that the numbers started to drop big time across Canada in what...May/June as the weather started to get warm and now is picking up again.

yea, super cold in Florida this summer.
13th Man
General Manager

Post#676 » by 13th Man » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:19 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:It doesn't thrive in cold weather. It thrives when a bunch of people are inside together. That just happen more often when the weather is cold.

-Wear a mask.
-Government pays high risk businesses like restaurants and bars etc. to remain closed for like 6-9 more months.
-Huge test and trace program.

Nothing has changed in the last 6 months. That has always been the way to get the infection numbers down so we can live somewhat normal lives.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/covid-19-appears-to-spread-less-in-warm-and-wet-climates-studies-suggest-1.5112505

This could also explain to me why B.C. has been better off overall than Ontario.
execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,171

Post#677 » by execoftheyear » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:21 pm

13th Man wrote:
execoftheyear wrote:
13th Man wrote:

Do you think the weather in Asian also plays a factor compared to that in Canada? From my observation and in theory, Covid thrives on the colder weather and is why we're witnessing a 2nd wave right now. This is not really a surprise though as many have predicted early on that it would be another wave in the fall.

I doubt it, because other countries got hit hard despite being of warmer climate. I think it has more to do with the stages on restrictions. As things started to gradually "close", cases went down and now the opposite is happening as things "opened". I'm just curious how flu season will affect the case count and number of more serious cases because it's already been reported that you can get both and that wouldn't be good on the immune system I'd imagine.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,440

Post#678 » by mtcan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:23 pm

execoftheyear wrote:
13th Man wrote:
execoftheyear wrote:

Probably, it's hard to say because I remember other countries getting hit hard despite being of warmer climate. I think it has more to do with the stages on restrictions. As things started to gradually "close", cases went down and now the opposite is happening as things "opened". I'm just curious how flu season will affect the case count and number of more serious cases because it's already been reported that you can get both and that wouldn't be good on the immune system I'd imagine.

Most of Japan and South Korea see 4 seasons just like us.
13th Man
General Manager

Post#679 » by 13th Man » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:23 pm

Local_NG_Idiot wrote:
13th Man wrote:Do you think the weather in Asian also plays a factor compared to that in Canada? From my observation and in theory, Covid thrives on the colder weather and is why we're witnessing a 2nd wave right now. This is not really a surprise though as many have predicted early on that it would be another wave in the fall.

yea, super cold in Florida this summer.

Americans are even worse than us wrt to social distancing imo.
13th Man
General Manager

Post#680 » by 13th Man » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:24 pm

mtcan wrote:Most of Japan and South Korea see 4 seasons just like us.

But is the variation in temperature as drastic, I wouldn't think so not even close.

Return to Toronto Raptors