ImageImageImage

2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

If Suns get Chris Paul, who will be the 2nd leading scorer on the team?

Ayton
94%
Paul
6%

Total votes: 47

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,466

Re: 2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes 

Post#2441 » by bwgood77 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:43 am

Frank Lee wrote:A lot of thought going into the OObs next deal. The market is going to bare it out. He plays good, he’ll get paid.... he plays really good and is oobstramental in a solid season run, then he gets paid by us. I guess if you gotta move him for a tasty, sweeten the pot with at least a different position..... and not add a doobleganger. No risk almost win win move keeping him tho. Even if he tanks it or pulls up lamer... his deal falls of the books. The two other outcomes are just fine. He’s rollin 30 mins a night for me.

I will be surprised if he gets paid by us if he approaches or especially goes over $20 million. I can see one team MAYBE doing it if they have a big need on the wing, but with our guys on rookie contracts, and Bridges an obvious keeper, and a guy that will likely get paid, along with Ayton getting paid, I just don't see how we can spend $90 million or more on 4 players, especially when doubling up.

Now if he can even do 2 of the 3 following things....seeing the floor better and setting some guys up, passing to the best option when it's there; developing great team defensive instincts, or becomes a 40% 3 pt shooter, it's definitely a bigger chance we keep him.

Although a great team guy, he's made it pretty clear his biggest priority is taking care of his family (obviously in regards to money) and improving enough to earn that contract....and while those are worthy things, I think you can take care of your family at $14 million a year and put the team first. I do think he loves playing in Phx, and would love to stay here if he can get paid, but I think if he gets offered a few million more a year to go elsewhere, there is a very good chance he will.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#2442 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:51 am

thamadkant wrote:
BobbieL wrote:I like Grant but is he has that much different from Oubre
Also, this means you are basically taking yourself out of the 2021 offseason - which could have some good talent

So the next question I see is what 2G could be used to get Oubre as Grant, Bridges and Cam with maybe bringing back SAric for the 4/5 off the bench would be fine.

I mean, whatever helps the team I am good with. I just maybe don't see the difference from Oubre to Grant. Unless they feel they can lock in Grant now for a decent deal instead of trying to fit Oubre in a year later and whatever he may want.

Oubre is better overall than Grant... just that Grant fits in better with Booker, Rubio and Ayton core.... because he is like Bridges and Johnson... he plays defense and a catch and shoot player....
Oubre's weakness is that he is tunnel vision and would compete with Booker for taking key shots when they're both on... wouldnt be a bad idea but he takes dumb shots. If Jackson was criticized for taking dumb shots Oubre also deserves to be called for that.

AND.... Oubre moving to the bench as 6th man may not go well for him and he will leave once his contract is up... Suns lose him for nothing.

So signing Grant and getting him for 4 years... at the same or slightly lower salary than Oubre... and trading Oubre for assets... would be beneficial to the Suns NOW.
Oubre actually grades out as a little better defender and Grant as a little better offensive player by advanced stats. They are very similar in across the board though.

My take is if you can sign grant on a reasonable deal he's similar to oubre and would replace Kelly whom you could then trade for something. It's a net gain so sure I'm cool with it. But grant is going to have a decent market so the odds of it happening are like 10%.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#2443 » by Frank Lee » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:51 am

Providing Grant performs and a deal is there... Point Kant. .... The ol’ if, then.

Bit I also think the market to trade Oubre is slimmer than what we think. I don’t think I’ve seen a real deal yet (except may be when we got some ‘Love’ from Kerrsed) .... Why again would a team want him except to shed some salary?

Can Oubre be used in a sign and trade scenario? Refresh me, I’m cloudy right now.
What ? Me Worry ?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2444 » by bwgood77 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:11 am

Frank Lee wrote:Providing Grant performs and a deal is there... Point Kant. .... The ol’ if, then.

Bit I also think the market to trade Oubre is slimmer than what we think. I don’t think I’ve seen a real deal yet (except may be when we got some ‘Love’ from Kerrsed) .... Why again would a team want him except to shed some salary?

Can Oubre be used in a sign and trade scenario? Refresh me, I’m cloudy right now.

In this day and age, I see even established writers talking about a guy like Oubre being a "nice expiring contract" for trade, but that doesn't make sense if they want Oubre, because either they want to keep him and hope to re-sign him (rendering the "nice expiring contract" irrelevant), or they want an expiring because they are WAY over the cap..in that case that would mean we likely take a not so good player back with a long contract, for some sort of compensation, maybe a late first or 2nd....so I agree here.

I think the only way he has good trade value, is if a team is over the cap and really wants him, and can send us something semi useful back, and maybe a late pick. I think GS is brought up a lot because they have that exemption which expires, but then again, I don't think he's a good fit and to re-sign him they would need to be ok paying a tax and maybe a repeater tax. Unless they can unload Wiggins....I have seen Atlanta mentioned for Wiggins, so maybe a 3 way there, where we get a guy like Huerter or Reddish back..more likely Huerter if they are high on Reddish.

Or, the Gordon trade...those front office guys LOVE length and need a scorer and have a ton of PFs..Isaac is injured, but they have Al Farouqe Aminu for 2 more years and drafted Chuma Okeke last year..he was out last year but should be back, so that's a vet and a young guy to hold things steady until Isaac gets back and they could start Oubre at the 4 if need be with Fournier and Ross at 2 and 3.

Oubre make sense at PF with Vucevic or Bamba.

I am not sure if I'd trade Oubre for Gordon, but I do think Gordon could potentially thrive on a new team like Oubre did and is an exciting finisher, pretty good defender, and a very willing passer. He had a bad year but has a lot of potential. He just turned 25 in mid September and Oubre turns 25 in early December, so not much difference in age. And he has 2 years left on his contract so would expire when Ayton and Bridges are up for new contracts, and Rubio is expiring as well, so if we have a promising rookie PG on a rookie contract, if we like Gordon, we could decide to keep him over Rubio.

Though at this point I would love to keep Rubio and have that vet PG through our core's prime...which is why I am why I am not particularly high on taking a PG in this draft with this suddenly weak PG class with a few of the top prospects really fading (Anthony, Mannion) and most of the others shooting very poorly.

I like Haliburton because I think he's a great backup 1 or 2 that plays well with Rubio or Booker so would work nicely as a 3rd guard.

But otherwise I prefer some of the other prospects over PGs.

Sorry I keep quoting and responding to all your posts Frank...I know you are not a fan of mine, but you know, I am in kind of a GoK moment.
Frank Lee
RealGM

Post#2445 » by Frank Lee » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:25 am

Respond on BG... but somehow you just sacked Rubio too :o Get a hold of yourself man. At least you aren’t dropping an Essay with every wild thought.
What ? Me Worry ?
Frank Lee
RealGM

Post#2446 » by Frank Lee » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:32 am

PS..... and take that GD poll down :no: :no: :no:
What ? Me Worry ?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,484

Post#2447 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:00 am

Read on Twitter
?s=09
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#2448 » by Kerrsed » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:33 am

Frank Lee wrote:PS..... and take that GD poll down :no: :no: :no:

I created a new poll for ya! :D
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#2449 » by Kerrsed » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:01 am

bwgood77 wrote:Though at this point I would love to keep Rubio and have that vet PG through our core's prime...which is why I am why I am not particularly high on taking a PG in this draft with this suddenly weak PG class with a few of the top prospects really fading (Anthony, Mannion) and most of the others shooting very poorly.

I like Haliburton because I think he's a great backup 1 or 2 that plays well with Rubio or Booker so would work nicely as a 3rd guard.

I kinda agree with this. Next years draft there are some real 5 star PG studs that i'd rather hedge my bets on.

You have 6'7 Cade Cunningham going to Oklahoma State. That kid is supposed to be generational. He went to Montverde Academy prep school and they produced D'Angelo Russell and Ben Simmons. Word is he is/was far more advanced than either of them. In 2019, he was named Nike Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL) MVP. He also got a gold medal playing with Haliburton/LewisJr/Green and another 2021 5 star PG recruit Suggs. Cade outshined them all and was easily the best player on the team despite also being the Youngest.

Devin Askew is headed to Kentucky (Which is always a good thing for a 5 star PG). He looks to be a great all around player and a solid floor general with great court vision. Im excited to see what Calipari can do with him and hone his skills.

You also have guys like Suggs and Love and Roach (Even though i dont trust PG's from Duke). There's also like 3 or 4 other 5 star PG recruits that im not even going to bother to name because honestly i dont know much about them and the majority of them are a bit undersized at just 6'1 and going to smaller schools.

But the point is there are a bunch of 5 star PG's. Now im not saying they all will declare for the draft or will continue on with that upward trajectory, but you can tell that at least the ones i named have a good chance at both.

So yeah, with this years draft, its best to just take BPA and not grab a guy just because he may fit a position of need for the future.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#2450 » by Mr Puddles » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:19 am

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2020/10/15/21516922/nba-offseason-clippers-sixers-nets-suns-pelicans

Nice write up on the ringer which includes the mighty Phoenix Suns.

Also talks about how our best line ups last season where with cam Johnson at the PF, and with Oubre at the PF spot.
Spoiler:
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,808

Post#2451 » by RedIndian » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:58 am

The Suns breakthrough series on YouTube looks pretty cool.

Loved the latest one on the wings.

Oubre, Bridges and Cam is a very very good trio of wings. Perfect foil for Booker and Ayton. You add another high level shot creating guard to that core, and you're set.

Just don't understand the obsession here on finding a traditional 4 given that most teams in the league are now moving towards playing 1 big and multiple wings.

The one interesting thing bit about Cam was that he said he'd been studying Klay, PG and Middleton extensively, and is hoping to add more on-ball scoring from next year.

I'd be very intrigued to see Cam run the PnR on occasion. He'll have to really work on his ball handling, but he's a smart player, and I can see him adding this to his game.

That would really raise his ceiling.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#2452 » by Wilber85 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:17 pm

I want to see Gallo go to Bucks and play with Giannis.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2453 » by bwgood77 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:55 pm

Kerrsed wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Though at this point I would love to keep Rubio and have that vet PG through our core's prime...which is why I am why I am not particularly high on taking a PG in this draft with this suddenly weak PG class with a few of the top prospects really fading (Anthony, Mannion) and most of the others shooting very poorly.

I kinda agree with this. Next years draft there are some real 5 star PG studs that i'd rather hedge my bets on.

You have 6'7 Cade Cunningham going to Oklahoma State. That kid is supposed to be generational. He went to Montverde Academy prep school and they produced D'Angelo Russell and Ben Simmons. Word is he is/was far more advanced than either of them. In 2019, he was named Nike Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL) MVP. He also got a gold medal playing with Haliburton/LewisJr/Green and another 2021 5 star PG recruit Suggs. Cade outshined them all and was easily the best player on the team despite also being the Youngest.

Devin Askew is headed to Kentucky (Which is always a good thing for a 5 star PG). He looks to be a great all around player and a solid floor general with great court vision. Im excited to see what Calipari can do with him and hone his skills.

You also have guys like Suggs and Love and Roach (Even though i dont trust PG's from Duke). There's also like 3 or 4 other 5 star PG recruits that im not even going to bother to name because honestly i dont know much about them and the majority of them are a bit undersized at just 6'1 and going to smaller schools.

But the point is there are a bunch of 5 star PG's. Now im not saying they all will declare for the draft or will continue on with that upward trajectory, but you can tell that at least the ones i named have a good chance at both.

So yeah, with this years draft, its best to just take BPA and not grab a guy just because he may fit a position of need for the future.

Yes, next year's looks good. You never know how good it will look next year, because this year's looks bad right now...and was considered good coming into it, but like I mentioned Anthony and Mannion were both top 10 prospects as were Maxey and possibly Maledon and Hampton, along with Ball and Hayes.

You can see TheStepien's early big board here because they have never updated it. https://www.thestepien.com/2020-draft-rankings/

But even going into the draft, this isn't anything like the hype for PGs going into the last Ball draft, when you had Fultz, Ball, Fox, Smith Jr and Ntilikina. And look how all those guys are doing.

The PG position in the NBA is a tough one to come in and be good at quickly.

The very best ones to come in as of late were guys that were not highly ranked, or even on the rader near the top of the draft coming into the college season, but broke out due to their play and rose suddenly on draft boards, kind of like Toppin did this year.........in Trae Young and Ja Morant. Because those guys have proven they can be sensations who help a team rise much further than the rest of their talent should allow them to. A guy like Cole Anthony couldn't do that...and while people can argue his teammates sucked, I'm sure Morant's and I know Trae Young's did too. Now Oklahoma didn't do great, but they did better than North Carolina did....and honestly, NC does get quality draft classes every year...maybe they didn't have as much high end talent as usual, but they surely had some talent including quite a few upper classmen with experience.

A guy like Chris Paul played 2 years in college, averaging 15, 6 and 4, but also 2.5 steals per game and shooting 47% from 3.

Look at the best PGs across the NBA...a lot of upper classmen types...Curry, Lillard, Kemba or guys that flourished with experience in the league, like Lowry, who was a 2 year college guy. You have a few 1 year guys, like Simmons and Irving, but those were overall #1 clear cut picks too. And Fox has been good.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#2454 » by BobbieL » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:25 pm

Kerrsed wrote:

I say don't reach for PG - take BPA
there will be veterans out there - one would think that can help the Suns - even on a one year exception deal
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#2455 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:10 pm

BobbieL wrote:
Kerrsed wrote:

I say don't reach for PG - take BPA
there will be veterans out there - one would think that can help the Suns - even on a one year exception deal
Sure reaching on any position is always a bad idea but it's realistic a PG could be on top of their board when they are on the clock and if so they shouldn't be afraid to take one. It's really a perfect scenario to bring in a rookie PG with two years to learn under Rubio and Payne under contract for a year as a guy to compete with the rookie and make them earn their minutes.

It's the spot that if they would really hit on a guy it would make team building easier for the next 4+ years.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#2456 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:34 pm

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2457 » by bwgood77 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:11 pm

Read on Twitter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2458 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:24 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wouldn't make too much of it, Or take it personally at all. Lillard is just very loyal to his team, And to the (Olsheys). And he also happens to love Portland. I wouldn't expect him to leave to another team, Anytime soon. :wink:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2459 » by bwgood77 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:03 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wouldn't make too much of it, Or take it personally at all. Lillard is just very loyal to his team, And to the (Olsheys). And he also happens to love Portland. I wouldn't expect him to leave to another team, Anytime soon. :wink:

Yeah, I didn't take it personally.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2460 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:13 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah, I didn't take it personally.

I know you didn't man lol! I was just making a general statement for anyone coming across the post. :D

Return to Phoenix Suns