ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Who should Minnesota Pick at #1 (Assuming Minnesota keeps the pick)?

Anthony Edwards
42%
LaMelo Ball
22%
James Wiseman
35%

Total votes: 116

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,802

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1421 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:13 pm

shangrila wrote:
Neeva wrote:I aee Vessell falling hard now, but i dont even know if I take him at 17...

Seriously? I'd take him and run at 17. You can't teach his defensive instincts.

Seems like a lot of overreaction to one workout video.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1422 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:16 pm

minimus wrote:
shangrila wrote:
Neeva wrote:I aee Vessell falling hard now, but i dont even know if I take him at 17...

His shooting form is awful

Vassell and Haliburton are players with poor form, but the shots go in. Sean Marion was the poster boy for that. What I don't get is that why is this news. Didn't he have his shooting form on display for a whole season?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1423 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:17 pm

minimus wrote:
shangrila wrote:
minimus wrote:

And that's fixable.

Hardly doubt

Shooting form is seldom fixable, but I don't really care as long as he makes the shots.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,716

Post#1424 » by minimus » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:17 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
shangrila wrote:Seriously? I'd take him and run at 17. You can't teach his defensive instincts.

Vassell and Haliburton are players with poor form, but the shots go in. Sean Marion was the poster boy for that. What I don't get is that why is this news. Didn't he have his shooting form on display for a whole season?

Marion is not a wing. Haliburton is a wing.
minimus
RealGM

Post#1425 » by minimus » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:18 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
shangrila wrote:And that's fixable.

Hardly doubt

Shooting form is seldom fixable, but I don't really care as long as he makes the shots.

Watch that video. It is painfully slow and awkward release.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1426 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:21 pm

shangrila wrote:
Domejandro wrote:As somebody who has actually watched tape on LaMelo Ball, the repeatedly lame talking points surrounding his potential are killing me. I have explained it multiple times, but the dude objectively has an incredibly intriguing skillset, as a player. Dude is a passing phenom, creative finisher, has a pretty floater, and isn't the guaranteed defensive atrocity that people keep lazily assuming (he is bad because of technique, but has had flashes).

What is particularly intriguing is that, until his time in Australia, he had never received any real basketball training (dude didn't even perform a three-man weave, up until that point). His form is an atrocity, but it is encouraging that he is willing to shoot the ball; even becoming a mediocre shooter would immediately propel him to being a solid player.

There is certainly bust potential, but there is a reason why teams are interested in him. LaMelo Ball has MASSIVE flaws, but if there was not the background noise of his father existing, basketball fans would be far less ridiculous with their takes on him.

See, I don't buy the hype about his finishing.

I saw a handful of his games and he never struck me as a good finisher or even someone with great touch. He constantly whiffed on layups, mainly because he had to double pump, change hands, behind the back every single one of them, but even on basic ones he would just...fail. It's been the most disconcerting part of him as a prospect to me and something that makes me feel crazy because it seems I'm the only one who notices it.

I mean, defence I agree isn't as bad as people have made out, the shooting could get to average, forcing passes and poor decision making should refine with time. But the touch around the rim? That'll be harder. You'll have to break him out of the mindset he developed for years about making it look as pretty as possible for the 'gram instead of ensuring it actually goes in.

I've seen the claims of being a good finisher. I don't know where they come from. I don't see any possibility of his shot getting to average. It is just TOO BROKEN to fix. I think the best we can hope for is his 3 getting to 31% and his overall shooting breaking 40%. Rosas has to be smarter than considering Ball at #1.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1427 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:23 pm

Neeva wrote:
shangrila wrote:

But Okogie and Culver have the same strengths ? It really depends on who is left at 17 .
I expect at least 3 players of the group of Vessell, Terry, Maxey, Saddiq Bey, Pokusevski and Anthony to be on board at 17, it will be a tough decision for Rosas.

I came here to post the same. There is absolutely no need to trade up from 17. We are going to have our choice out of a handful of good prospects. Even soon to be perennial all star Maxey will probably be available.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1428 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:25 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
Hardly doubt

Which matters more form or results? Did somebody link the video? I read it's not available. It would be nice if we had both form and results.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1429 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:26 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

To me Haliburton is a PG.
minimus
RealGM

Post#1430 » by minimus » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:27 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Shooting form is seldom fixable, but I don't really care as long as he makes the shots.

Which matters more form or results? Did somebody link the video? I read it's not available. It would be nice if we had both form and results.

Watch video first, there is no chance that his current release will work for an NBA wing. To put it simple he shots like Dieng.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1431 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:38 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

Watch video first, there is no chance that his current release will work for an NBA wing. To put it simple he shots like Dieng.

I watched actual game video and I did not see this problem you are talking about. If he's there at 17 I would have zero problem with him being the pick. Please provide me with a link to the video so I can form a better opinion.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,261

Post#1432 » by Baseline81 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:10 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I watched actual game video and I did not see this problem you are talking about. If he's there at 17 I would have zero problem with him being the pick. Please provide me with a link to the video so I can form a better opinion.

It seems during this break, Vassell changed his form. It’s completely different from how he shot in college. At least that’s what everyone is taking away from the clip.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1433 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:26 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I watched actual game video and I did not see this problem you are talking about. If he's there at 17 I would have zero problem with him being the pick. Please provide me with a link to the video so I can form a better opinion.

It seems during this break, Vassell changed his form. It’s completely different from how he shot in college. At least that’s what everyone is taking away from the clip.

I'm saddened reading this stuff from actual people. This is why social sux.

This is a fishnado. If you haven't heard, scientists believe this is how hurricanes are being created as weapons against humanity. The fish are angry.

SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#1434 » by SmokeyPaw » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:31 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Shooting form is seldom fixable, but I don't really care as long as he makes the shots.

This is different than his form during the season.
[Tweet]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/untweet]
minimus
RealGM

Post#1435 » by minimus » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:49 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Vassell and Haliburton are players with poor form, but the shots go in. Sean Marion was the poster boy for that. What I don't get is that why is this news. Didn't he have his shooting form on display for a whole season?

Haliburton can't play lead ballhandler role in NBA. He doesn't have quick first step nor advanced finishing ability nor pull-up jumper. The only way he can find success in NBA is to become 3&D player, wing who can play as secondary ballhandler.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1436 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:01 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

Haliburton can't play lead ballhandler role in NBA. He doesn't have quick first step nor advanced finishing ability nor pull-up jumper. The only way he can find success in NBA is to become 3&D player, wing who can play as secondary ballhandler.

If you say so. I say he's a PG. His BBIQ is off the charts. He will be able to direct an offense and at his nice size will provide very good defense.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1437 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:02 pm

SmokeyPaw wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

[Tweet]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/untweet]

It is very nice and high, but as somebody mentioned it is Dienglike.
minimus
RealGM

Post#1438 » by minimus » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:03 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:To me Haliburton is a PG.

If you say so. I say he's a PG. His BBIQ is off the charts. He will be able to direct an offense and at his nice size will provide very good defense.

You have Culver example right in front of you. He can't create separation with ball in his hands, despite being much more athletic than Haliburton.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1439 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:05 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

You have Culver example right in front of you. He can't create separation with ball in his hands, despite being much more athletic than Haliburton.

minimus
RealGM

Post#1440 » by minimus » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:08 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
SmokeyPaw wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Which matters more form or results? Did somebody link the video? I read it's not available. It would be nice if we had both form and results.

[Tweet]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/untweet]

It is very nice and high, but as somebody mentioned it is Dienglike.

It is the difference between one motion shot and trebuchet shot. It doesn't work even for Dieng, backup bigman, let alone 3&D wing.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves