ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,451

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(783 new cases Oct 15th) 

Post#681 » by mtcan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:36 pm

13th Man wrote:
mtcan wrote:Most of Japan and South Korea see 4 seasons just like us.

But is the variation in temperature as drastic, I wouldn't think so not even close.

Ontario is in the same latitude as Hokkaido...the northern most prefecture of Japan...so most of Japan would still still see a winter albeit milder than we do in Ontario. Perhaps it is more like Chicago or Washington DC?
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#682 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:37 pm

13th Man wrote:

But is the variation in temperature as drastic, I wouldn't think so not even close.

Seoul South Korea historical mean temperature in January: -3C
Toronto historical mean temperature in January: -5C

wrong again.
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#683 » by 13th Man » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:41 pm

Local_NG_Idiot wrote:
13th Man wrote:

wrong again.

That wasn't my question but thanks for trying.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#684 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:42 pm

Local_NG_Idiot wrote:
13th Man wrote:

wrong again.

This guy is fact adverse. His whole ideology is based on him loudly not understanding things.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#685 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:43 pm

13th Man wrote:
Local_NG_Idiot wrote:
13th Man wrote:

wrong again.

That wasn't my question but thanks for trying.

where's your question? I see a statement that ends in "not even close". A little fact check actually shows they are pretty close.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#686 » by Kevin Willis » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:49 pm

13th Man wrote:

Ska needs to make a comeback.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#687 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:34 pm

I think we need to stop feeding the troll and just report his dangerous posts.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
13th Man
General Manager

Post#688 » by 13th Man » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:37 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
13th Man wrote:

Cool thanks. South Korea is closer to Toronto than Tokyo so stand corrected by thinking that there were drastic temp variations.

This doesn't dispel the fact that Covid does better in the cold, I was simply wondering where the discrepancies in numbers lie. South Korea has faced the same issues everywhere, they had a breakout a fitness Zumba type studio then when one patron went bar-hopping recklessly.
13th Man
General Manager

Post#689 » by 13th Man » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:38 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:I think we need to stop feeding the troll and just report his dangerous posts.

Do you work for Twitter or Facebook?

Weren't you the one that said Facebook was right-leaning? Now who's the misguided one here?

Report away. All of my opinions are based off of facts and when I'm unsure of myself, I ask questions just as I did with the temperature variation. I'm not the one accusing world leaders of bigotry without substance.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,631

Post#690 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:53 pm

There’s substance.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#691 » by Kevin Willis » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:54 pm

13th Man wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:
13th Man wrote:

Cool thanks. South Korea is closer to Toronto than Tokyo so stand corrected by thinking that there were drastic temp variations.

This doesn't dispel the fact that Covid does better in the cold, I was simply wondering where the discrepancies in numbers lie. South Korea has faced the same issues everywhere, they had a breakout a fitness Zumba type studio then when one patron went bar-hopping recklessly.

In UV and heat the virus has a shorter life. That's proven. However these spreads have been usually indoors - bars, clubs, gyms - where people aren't wearing masks and practising social distance. In that case it really doesn't matter what the weather outside is. For example don't recall any outbreaks happening over the summer where people social distanced at the beach or even the small numbers at protests where people are wearing masks. Fair had some suggestions - if everyone followed that we would be fine.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
13th Man
General Manager

Post#692 » by 13th Man » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:15 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
In UV and heat the virus has a shorter life. That's proven. However these spreads have been usually indoors - bars, clubs, gyms - where people aren't wearing masks and practising social distance. In that case it really doesn't matter what the weather outside is. For example don't recall any outbreaks happening over the summer where people social distanced at the beach or even the small numbers at protests where people are wearing masks. Fair had some suggestions - if everyone followed that we would be fine.

Nothing beats beautiful nature (except natural disasters lol). This is why I choose to be outdoors as much as possible now.

Getting back to your point, we normally do a good job of socially distancing ourselves indoors as well. In gyms, every 2nd or 3rd piece of cardio equipment is usually marked unavailable. Same with restaurant tables and booths.

For personal gatherings it's obviously harder to impose these rules in someone's private house, the other problematic settings are with bars or clubs when it's usually later in the evening and when people are often intoxicated.

This is why I feel it's unfair to target all gyms and daytime dining/coffee shops when they have taken appropriate measures for social distancing and are not serious threats.

What they could have done was targeted night clubs, restaurants or bars after a certain hour like forced closures at 10pm. Gym studios that have people packed into confined space while exercising heavily; activities such as Zumba classes, Spin studios and physical combat sports like Jiu-Jitsu or contact sparring Muay Thai clubs. Those type of confined spaces are all candidates to be spreaders, instead they lump all gyms and indoor dining together to destroy the economy, people's livelihood as well as their physical and mental well being?

Imo, they went about it the lazy way because they don't really care and politicians are lazy. It's easy and convenient for them to just to shut down all indoor dining and gyms. Many of these establishments were already teetering and on the brink of bankruptcy. The people that frequent these places are getting their habits and routines disrupted again when it didn't have to be.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,356

Post#693 » by D.Brasco » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:10 am

2019 seems like a million years ago at this point

The only thing those people had to worry about back then were the shots that were fired by those gangsters.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,077

Post#694 » by Westside Gunn » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:07 am

D.Brasco wrote:2019 seems like a million years ago at this point

The only thing those people had to worry about back then were the shots that were fired by those gangsters.

how many people would get the rona today in a crowd like that?

serious question? im too lazy to work the math
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
Vaclac
Junior
And1: 178

Post#695 » by Vaclac » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:43 pm

Interesting insight into how politicians decide on lockdowns, admitting they are reacting to fear of their constituents rather than trying to just implement the most rational policy.
Governor Cuomo: "it's out of fear. People see the numbers going up - 'Close everything! Close everything!' It's not the best way to do it, but it is a fear-driven response. The virus scares people. Hopefully if we get the numbers down in the zip codes, the anxiety comes down, and then we can have a smarter, more tailored approach. Your point is right. 'Why close every school? Why don't you test the schools and close the ones that have a problem? I know. First I don't know that we have the resources to do that now, but I can tell you honestly the fear is too high to anything other than 'Let's do everything we can to get the infection rate down now. Close the doors. Close the windows.' That's where we are."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/andrew-cuomo-takes-a-hatchet-11602803166
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#696 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:06 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
Local_NG_Idiot wrote:
13th Man wrote:

wrong again.

This guy is fact adverse. His whole ideology is based on him loudly not understanding things.

There's no need to bring up US politics in this thread. :lol:

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Caboclo
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,460

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(712 new cases Oct 16th) 

Post#697 » by Caboclo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:16 pm

Read on Twitter
bape_lovers
RealGM
And1: 17,913

Post#698 » by bape_lovers » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:49 pm

look no further, this was in Feb :( our last real home win

Credit to JaysRule, Detective
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,603

Post#699 » by Ackshun » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:43 pm

Cot dam I was braced up right at that intersection with my 3 year old. Decided to stay F it and leave before the players took the stage.

Thanka God I did
execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,171

Post#700 » by execoftheyear » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:47 am

13th Man wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:

Nothing beats beautiful nature (except natural disasters lol). This is why I choose to be outdoors as much as possible now.

Getting back to your point, we normally do a good job of socially distancing ourselves indoors as well. In gyms, every 2nd or 3rd piece of cardio equipment is usually marked unavailable. Same with restaurant tables and booths.

For personal gatherings it's obviously harder to impose these rules in someone's private house, the other problematic settings are with bars or clubs when it's usually later in the evening and when people are often intoxicated.

This is why I feel it's unfair to target all gyms and daytime dining/coffee shops when they have taken appropriate measures for social distancing and are not serious threats.

What they could have done was targeted night clubs, restaurants or bars after a certain hour like forced closures at 10pm. Gym studios that have people packed into confined space while exercising heavily; activities such as Zumba classes, Spin studios and physical combat sports like Jiu-Jitsu or contact sparring Muay Thai clubs. Those type of confined spaces are all candidates to be spreaders, instead they lump all gyms and indoor dining together to destroy the economy, people's livelihood as well as their physical and mental well being?

https://www.cp24.com/news/some-toronto-peel-residents-appear-to-be-crossing-regional-covid-19-boundaries-for-exercise-1.5145851

This is probably why. Just imagine several potentially infected members at one gym that closed all of a sudden decide to try several different gyms that haven't experienced an outbreak. Then another potential outbreak happens at these other locations forcing these locations to close down and then members of those locations look to another location. Then you can see why only closing certain locations doesn't really work. It will just mean members of one gym that closed down will just relocate to other locations when they've been potentially exposed at the gym they were previously at.

Return to Toronto Raptors