ATL - Offseason - 72 Game Season Begins 12/22

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Re: ATL - Offseason - Morey steps down 

Post#1741 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:28 pm

jschligs wrote:
Nowak008 wrote:Pretty telling graph. NBA has to do something about the 3 point line.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I've seen some folks mention widening the court and moving the line back, I'm all for it.
I'm all for widening the court, I've heard teams are leery to do it because it eats up some high dollar seats.

I'm not sure there is a perfect solution to all this. More variety is absolutely needed but I think we'd see some unintentional consequences. Plus you want to do it without totally mucking the game up. People sometimes talk about 90s basketball as the good old days but as someone who watched it then I disagree, those 92-88 games weren't great viewing.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#1742 » by jschligs » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:30 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
jschligs wrote:
Nowak008 wrote:Pretty telling graph. NBA has to do something about the 3 point line.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I've seen some folks mention widening the court and moving the line back, I'm all for it.
I'm all for widening the court, I've heard teams are leery to do it because it eats up some high dollar seats.

I'm not sure there is a perfect solution to all this. More variety is absolutely needed but I think we'd see some unintentional consequences. Plus you want to do it without totally mucking the game up. People sometimes talk about 90s basketball as the good old days but as someone who watched it then I disagree, those 92-88 games weren't great viewing.

Agreed. I also think we need to stop protecting shooters as much. I don't mean making defenses allowed to maul or injure shooters, but the BS touch fouls and crap where they roll off a screen and immediately shoot on feeling contact is ridiculous. And if we stopped allowing floppers we'd be in a much better place.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1743 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:00 pm

jschligs wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
jschligs wrote:

Agreed. I also think we need to stop protecting shooters as much. I don't mean making defenses allowed to maul or injure shooters, but the BS touch fouls and crap where they roll off a screen and immediately shoot on feeling contact is ridiculous. And if we stopped allowing floppers we'd be in a much better place.
Oh I wholeheartedly agree. The landing zone/touch any part of the shooter after the ball is gone fouls are terrible.

I actually think there's a simple fix, call a simple foul if theres contact before the ball is released if there contact after and it's a normal basketball play let it go but if the defender is trying to pull a Bruce Bowen that's not a basketball play and should be a flagrent foul. I think the refs can handle that decision and it would eliminate some of the **** touch calls. Oh and if the shooter jumps into a defender don't reward that either.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,557

Post#1744 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:38 pm

Again, 90% of the problems with the NBA's current on-the-court product are fixed if the league office sends the memo to both:

A) Start actually calling illegal screens again.

B) Start actually enforcing techs and fines for flopping instead of just talking about it and doing nothing.

But for whatever reason Silver and the league office continue to just bury their heads in the sand on these issues.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#1745 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:02 pm

Afraid they’re gonna have to cancel the Euroleague season. Guys are going down right and left, teams are forfeiting multiple games in a row and already taking themselves out of the playoff race. The Bubble environment is the only one that works right now.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#1746 » by blazza18 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

They need to make the 3 point shot worth less than 3 points imo
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#1747 » by DrWood » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:05 pm

blazza18 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

3p% hasn't gone up much since 2006. Were coaches just stupid back then, or did rule changes cause the difference? They're shooting about twice as many 3's only 13 years later.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#1748 » by AussieBuck » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:05 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Afraid they’re gonna have to cancel the Euroleague season. Guys are going down right and left, teams are forfeiting multiple games in a row and already taking themselves out of the playoff race. The Bubble environment is the only one that works right now.

Next NBA season in Australia is the obvious answer here. :nod:
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,268

Post#1749 » by KidA24 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:19 am

DrWood wrote:
blazza18 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

3p% hasn't gone up much since 2006. Were coaches just stupid back then, or did rule changes cause the difference? They're shooting about twice as many 3's only 13 years later.

Teams really started playing defense differently (Thibs & the Celtics sort of started it) around then, and using the lack of illegal defense to their advantage and overloading the strong side of the court.

This lead to a lot more ball movement, and a realization that shooting 3's is a valuable skill.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,847

Post#1750 » by Plossum » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:35 am

Do people really want to go back to the grind of the early 2000s? Basketball is much better now.

The three point line is not the issue. Teams wised up to the fact that shooting more threes is very valuable. They're more efficient and open up the court. The meta will shift again. I think teams with a more 'balanced diet' of threes and mid rangers will be the next evolution. You can't win just shooting threes and layups.
#LockUpChuck
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,989

Post#1751 » by midranger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:42 am

Iso into a foul/rarely layup. Or iso into a step back three/ pass for a three.

This is all the nba is. It’s a problem.

Leads to FT shooting/3 PT shooting contests.

It’s boring. It’s not compelling. It’s not what the best athletes in the world should be doing. Add in flopping and complaining to trick refs into even more FTs and you have tanking ratings.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Post#1752 » by trwi7 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:50 am

AussieBuck wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:Afraid they’re gonna have to cancel the Euroleague season. Guys are going down right and left, teams are forfeiting multiple games in a row and already taking themselves out of the playoff race. The Bubble environment is the only one that works right now.

NBA Australia. Where Giannis makes his free throws in the playoffs and Bledsoe doesn't play like ****. Wow, that would be wild.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,569

Post#1753 » by JayMKE » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:32 am

NBA needs to change to rules to encourage defense, multi-level scoring, revival of bigs, and to punish flopping on both sides of the ball. The product is almost unwatchable at this point.
FREE GIANNIS
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#1754 » by Chuck Diesel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:22 am

MickeyDavis wrote:
JayMKE wrote:So the Clippers actually downgrade their coaching LOL

Not a good hire.

What makes you say that?
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Post#1755 » by RRyder823 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:35 am

Plossum wrote:Do people really want to go back to the grind of the early 2000s? Basketball is much better now.

The three point line is not the issue. Teams wised up to the fact that shooting more threes is very valuable. They're more efficient and open up the court. The meta will shift again. I think teams with a more 'balanced diet' of threes and mid rangers will be the next evolution. You can't win just shooting threes and layups.

The better question is did you prefer watching iso ball with each teams top scorer or do you prefer teams just walking down setting an illegal screen and shooting a 3 while flailing trying to draw a foul?....... The answer isn't as clear as you are making it out to be

(yes id rather watch iso between Lebron, Durant, Giannis, Dame and Kawhi all day versus Harden not actually trying to make a shot while getting to the line or drive and kick for a 3 and if it doesn't work rinse and repeat)

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#1756 » by Chuck Diesel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:46 am

AussieBuck wrote:

At the very least that’ll be Thon’s mantra. The flying kick against the Philippines should net him a lifetime NBL contract.
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#1757 » by Beorn » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:57 am

I wouldn't say that things are so bleak.
Russian teams have problems, and they play in arenas with fans. Additionally, there have been complaints from visiting teams that the covid protocols are loosely applied within their arenas.
ASVEL let Norris Cole play after he tested positive, which has caused a major uproar in France.

Bubble is not feasible in EL with the current format in place, but a hybrid scenario could have been developed. Too lazy to expand on this

p.s.
Spoiler:
Chuck, Bender doesn't even look like he belongs in EL so far, I am afraid you have to find the next project of yours.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1758 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:12 pm

KidA24 wrote:
DrWood wrote:
blazza18 wrote:

Teams really started playing defense differently (Thibs & the Celtics sort of started it) around then, and using the lack of illegal defense to their advantage and overloading the strong side of the court.

This lead to a lot more ball movement, and a realization that shooting 3's is a valuable skill.
This is a factor that people tend to ignore, defenses did play a part in this. I'm open to move the 3pt line back but it would need to also come with changing defensive rules or teams would just play a bunch of zone and really dare teams to shoot the longer 3s all game.

Analytics being used across all sports have geared them to be more homogeneous because at this point all sports/teams use them and for the most part they point at the same things being high efficiency. You see this from the shift and HR/K approach in baseball to some of the passing games in the NFL.

Side note on the return of the big man in the NBA I think some of that is already happening organically with some of the young bigs that have entered the league and the fact the Lakers are big and good will cause more teams to have to match them.

Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#1759 » by Chuck Diesel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:38 pm

Beorn wrote:

I wouldn't say that things are so bleak.
Russian teams have problems, and they play in arenas with fans. Additionally, there have been complaints from visiting teams that the covid protocols are loosely applied within their arenas.
ASVEL let Norris Cole play after he tested positive, which has caused a major uproar in France.

Bubble is not feasible in EL with the current format in place, but a hybrid scenario could have been developed. Too lazy to expand on this

p.s.
Spoiler:
Chuck, Bender doesn't even look like he belongs in EL so far, I am afraid you have to find the next project of yours.

I dunno man, Saras and Mirotic in spiking Barcelona too. I don’t see how they continue if teams have to keep forfeiting.

Yeah, Bender was good against CSKA but horrible against Munich. Not sure why Maccabi’s coach would start him alongside Zizic and over Othello Hunter, who makes sense next to both Croatians. Still think Bender will be a positive for them.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#1760 » by theFireBlanket » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:53 pm

If not Masai...

Morey! Morey! Morey!
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Milwaukee Bucks