To what degree did KD prove himself as a playoff performer during the 17-19 seasons?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Comparing KD's Warrior playoff runs to some of the better runs of the atg's?

5-Right there with MJ/LeBron
No votes
11%
3-Kobe/Wade level
32%
43%
1-Think Karl Malone level
14%

Total votes: 28

Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,287

To what degree did KD prove himself as a playoff performer during the 17-19 seasons? 

Post#1 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:13 am

If you were to compare him to other players normally thought of as top 20 players of all time. Think top 3-4 runs for them. This isn't an anti-KD thread either so plz no 'omg, not another KD hating thread' sort of histrionics. Take into account how you view the runs as a whole.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Re: To what degree did KD prove himself as a playoff performer during the 17-19 seasons? 

Post#2 » by No-more-rings » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:18 am

Some won’t like this answer, but i’ll say little to none. He was what 28 or 29 come his first playoff run with Golden State? Not saying players can’t turn a new leaf at that age but I don’t see how he really improved on offense, he just played with goat spacing and that was really the difference and it’s not like he didn’t have some struggles in 2018.
Stan
Sixth Man
And1: 2,450

Re: To what degree did KD prove himself as a playoff performer during the 17-19 seasons? 

Post#3 » by Stan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:57 am

A top 3 player joined a 73 win team with the reigning MVP & 2 other All-NBA players that had already achieved tremendous success together. He honestly didn't prove anything to me, I learned much more about Wade in '06, Kobe in '09 & '10 and Kawhi last year than I did about Durant on the Warriors.

I'm sure some people will disagree, but I 100% believe going to the Warriors hurt Durant's standing. Sure, maybe 50 years from now he can point to the 2 FMVP's, but if we're talking strictly playoff performance, I don't see how you can take Durant over the players I mentioned earlier when he didn't accomplish what they did without joining a 73 win team. And it's not even like he was balling out in defeat on OKC, outside 2012 his playoff performance was kind of spotty for an ATG, while his efficiency always nosedived
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,748

Post#4 » by LukaTheGOAT » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:15 am

I definitely trust Wade and Kobe more overall as floor-raisers, and as people who can be primary playmakers to elevate an offense. I think what KD showed in GSW was that he can gel with other start talent really well, and is game is very portable. He is a very good ceiling-raiser, just don't task him with creating a ton of opportunities for his teammates.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,516

Post#5 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:32 am

I'm not a Durant fan but he's proven to be one of the best Finals performers in history. It is what it is.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,997
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#6 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:44 am

The Warriors were such another level that I don’t think any real conclusions can be drawn about what any of them did together, other than that they obviously all can fit well in an ultra stacked team, which isn’t always a given or easy, and is a great quality/skill unto itself.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,246

Post#7 » by McBubbles » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:51 am

Dr Positivity wrote:I'm not a Durant fan but he's proven to be one of the best Finals performers in history. It is what it is.

How? He lit up the 21st and 29th ranked defences whilst having a ridiculous amount of spacing and not being the primary source of defensive attention in 17 and 18, then got injured in 19.

Doesn't scream ATG to me.
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?
The Master
Rookie
And1: 1,577

Post#8 » by The Master » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:41 am

Durant before joining Warriors:
- 29-10-7 with 4.4 TOV on 53.1 %TS against Memphis (2013)
- 27-8-3 with 3.3 TOV on 56.0 %TS against Spurs (2014)
- 30-8-3 with 3.6 TOV on 53.9 %TS against Warriors (2016)

While KD has better longevity than Curry/Harden/Kawhi, he's all time-great scorer and he proved he's perhaps much better fit to stacked contenders than Harden, I don't think his titles with Warriors proved that much for Durant as a legitimate dominant facilitator and first option on offense on a championship team. For me, context-adjusted, his best postseason is still 2012.

I just don't think these titles with Warriors prove that KD would be able to achieve more with Rockets than Harden 18-20 or Curry 14-16 with Warriors. He's definitely able to lead a team to a title, but he hasn't proved he's better in that regard than Harden/Curry/Kawhi.
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#9 » by Odinn21 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:32 am

First; if the scale on 5 is from Karl Malone to Michael Jordan, Wade is more likely a 4. Not 3. In terms of being playoff performer, he was better than Bryant.

Second; we don't know. The Warriors spell might made him a better playoff performer but we don't know that because we're yet to see Durant play a single game after Golden State, let alone a playoff game.
If Durant plays like he did equally well in playoffs equally to his GS spell when he comes back, then we can (and would) say these things about him.
Looking at solely his OKC and GS days, he's still a player joined a historic team to just enjoy that environment.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,765

Post#10 » by Fadeaway_J » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:43 am

LukaTheGOAT wrote:I definitely trust Wade and Kobe more overall as floor-raisers, and as people who can be primary playmakers to elevate an offense. I think what KD showed in GSW was that he can gel with other start talent really well, and is game is very portable. He is a very good ceiling-raiser, just don't task him with creating a ton of opportunities for his teammates.

Pretty much this. The talent on that team would be tough to put together in a fantasy draft. What he did in that environment has almost no applicability to even a typical really good team (like the ones KD played on before). It does show how well his skill set allows him to mesh with other stars, but I don't think that was a huge surprise anyway.
Threetimes10
Sophomore
And1: 192

Post#11 » by Threetimes10 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:57 am

Proves that he scales really well when he's on a ridiculously talented team gainst poor defensive teams.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,161

Post#12 » by Statlanta » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:28 pm

The only thing he proved was that he is less volatile than Steph(which doesn't make him necessarily better)
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,287

Post#13 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:53 pm

Odinn21 wrote:First; if the scale on 5 is from Karl Malone to Michael Jordan, Wade is more likely a 4. Not 3. In terms of being playoff performer, he was better than Bryant.

Second; we don't know. The Warriors spell might made him a better playoff performer but we don't know that because we're yet to see Durant play a single game after Golden State, let alone a playoff game.
If Durant plays like he did equally well in playoffs equally to his GS spell when he comes back, then we can (and would) say these things about him.
Looking at solely his OKC and GS days, he's still a player joined a historic team to just enjoy that environment.

tbf, I considered putting him into the 4 slot but decided to throw him in with Kobe because I didn't want it to become a Wade/Kobe thread. Maybe I should have just left him off but what's done is done.

Return to Player Comparisons