ImageImageImageImageImage

Where will Raptors play next year if border still closed

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,297

Re: Where will Raptors play next year if border still closed 

Post#61 » by Parataxis » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:18 am

nabbs wrote:Rapid testing kits are probably in drug stores by the time January rolls around. I suspect they’ll do what the NFL is doing but have stricter testing protocols, mandatory masks and temp checks.

Furthermore the stadium attendance is proving to be effective from what I understand. Have there been any major outbreaks from spectators attending the NFL games?

NFL games have the benefit of being outdoors.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,829

Post#62 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:32 pm

Negotiate ISO fans at the Fort Erie Leisureplex. Boat the opposing teams and officials across the river from Buffalo. Only those people enter that exclusion zone. Fans wear masks sit in every other seat and they must drive to the Leisureplex. You keep the hockey boards and glass in place. You dress up the arena like they did in Orlando. All tickets given away as promotional events.
TheRealDeal
RealGM
And1: 11,813

Post#63 » by TheRealDeal » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:30 pm

It’s funny how Toronto went from stealing the Bills to giving all of our teams to Buffalo
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#64 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:26 pm

TheRealDeal wrote:It’s funny how Toronto went from stealing the Bills to giving all of our teams to Buffalo

Fort Erie.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,906

Post#65 » by Anticon » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:51 pm

Courtside wrote:If MLSE has done a lot of legwork and built a relationship with officials in CT and at UConn, then the Raptors wouldn't be badly served by playing their games there also. It's convenient to BOS and both NY area teams, with PHI not much further beyond. It wouldn't be a warm or glamorous location, but if they stay at a hotel like Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun or something, that could work too - and those two hotels both have an arena facility for use.

Connecticut definitely makes sense. It's the most proximate to the other Atlantic teams without having a team of their own.

In theory they could also play at the old Meadowlands in NJ. The Palace at Auburn Hills would have been a nice spot but was just torn down.
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,476

Post#66 » by Bankai » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:53 pm

I think the NBA is just going to keep playing at the Disneyworld Bubble until this all blows over and the Raptors can come back home.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#67 » by Metallikid » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:25 am

OakleyDokely wrote:MSG.

Manhattan needs a NBA team.

The York/New York Velociraptors.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,059

Post#68 » by xAIRNESSx » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:33 am

It's unreasonable and impractical to have a bubble for an entire 82 game season plus playoffs. The players would never agree to it.

It only worked because the NBA and NHL had already completed the majority of their seasons.
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#69 » by Mattd97 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:48 am

Parataxis wrote:
nabbs wrote:Rapid testing kits are probably in drug stores by the time January rolls around. I suspect they’ll do what the NFL is doing but have stricter testing protocols, mandatory masks and temp checks.

Furthermore the stadium attendance is proving to be effective from what I understand. Have there been any major outbreaks from spectators attending the NFL games?

NFL games have the benefit of being outdoors.

And once a week, and only 16 of them. Not even close to an even comparison. It also completely ignores the main issue, international travel.

Ppl keep thinking about how to keep opposing teams isolated are missing the point that the jays/raptors are going to be a risk to the public. Theyre not forced to isolate. They'll travel around the US and then come back home and see their families (also not isolating and free to interact and their kids go to school with your kids) and go shopping and to restaurants and so forth. They will pick it up and spread it.

30 travelling bubbles where players are kept in a home hotel snd a specified visitors hotel is the safest way to do this, but its still taking players away from their homes. Realistically moving operations to the states is how it can be done if numbers/strategies dont change. You're not allowed at the games anyways, doesn't make a huge difference.
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,343

Post#70 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:40 pm

It won’t be a Disney bubble again that’s for sure.

There is one thing... if it doesn’t get resolved, Toronto becomes a really unattractive destination for any free agent including its own. Living in Toronto but playing out of buffalo or Pittsburgh would be brutal. I expect vaccines to lighten up the outlook and fixable fair bit if the problem if crowds indoors by April/midseason, but that’s a long way out.
random_hero891
Rookie
And1: 810

Post#71 » by random_hero891 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:05 pm

I would assume if they're not able to play in Toronto they would sample a market like they did before they moved the Sonics to okc when the pelicans played there after hurricane Katrina
mrsocko
Sixth Man
And1: 869

Post#72 » by mrsocko » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:24 pm

It will help when Trump is defeated and the US starts taking this pandemic seriously. Why would you allow border travel with a country of idiots. Cross border containment measures will improve. It shouldn’t be hard to contract trace each team in Canada, except for White Vegas after parties.
Dick expectation level 0/5
...c.a.p...
Starter
And1: 503

Post#73 » by ...c.a.p... » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:46 pm

mtcan wrote:San Diego.

Oh, the irony.
DerrickRose16 wrote:
Wade is basically Ben Gordon without the 3-point shooting. Sure, he's been a pretty good defender this year, so that would upgrade, but I'd rather have Gordon because he's cheaper and can hit those threes
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 7,986

Post#74 » by ontnut » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:14 pm

Probably in the Orlando bubble.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,222

Post#75 » by Raptorfan2012 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:36 pm

If the Feds let the Leafs and the other Canadian NHL teams play a regular season, they have to let the Raps play too... right?
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#76 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:48 pm

mrsocko wrote:It will help when Trump is defeated and the US starts taking this pandemic seriously. Why would you allow border travel with a country of idiots. Cross border containment measures will improve. It shouldn’t be hard to contract trace each team in Canada, except for White Vegas after parties.

It will be slightly better but the problems run so deep that removing the Lunatic poster child for intolerance doesn't change the reality that morons either supported him or opportunists enabled him. They all still exist which means that project has no upside.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,081

Post#77 » by mademan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:20 pm

Its gonna be a bubble again. Maybe more short term bubbles where they put like 10 teams together in 3 different places and get the schedule to lineup to have everyone play the required number of games vs conference/division, but its 100% a bubble. See the issues the NFL is having, and they do 1 game a week.
icoholic
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,086

Post#78 » by icoholic » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:36 pm

xAIRNESSx wrote:I hope the federal government doesn't pull the same nonsense that they did with the Jays.

There won't be fans, what is the risk to the general public?

How was it nonsense? Why are sports above all?
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,359

Post#79 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:52 pm

xAIRNESSx wrote:I hope the federal government doesn't pull the same nonsense that they did with the Jays.

The risk is the all the teams coming to the city - presumably staying at hotels, visiting restaurants, and other... ermm... establishments, taking taxis, and generally fraternizing with the locals.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,059

Post#80 » by xAIRNESSx » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:26 am

icoholic wrote:

How was it nonsense? Why are sports above all?

Because I think it's important to maintain some semblance of normalcy during these unprecedented times. These are beloved teams.

I vote liberal but was very happy when Doug Ford said he had no issue with the Jays playing in Toronto. As soon as I heard it would be the Federal Government's call, I knew they would be against it.

And lets be real, it's not because of the risk. It's because they're liberal and don't want to make an exception because someone might think it's unfair that only the most popular sports teams are allowed to play.

Return to Toronto Raptors