ImageImage

2020 Pre-Draft Discussion

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Shaqsoldestboy
Ballboy
And1: 6

Re: 2020 Draft Discussion 

Post#1441 » by Shaqsoldestboy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:42 am

Have you guys ever heard of continuity? You can't just drft three stars and expect them to play well together. It doesn't work that way.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#1442 » by UNCNYC » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:08 pm

So many ways we can go. I am soooo happy I am not a GM lmao. I wouldn't do it but just another of the many possibilities

Trade PJ, Miles, Rozier, Graham to Boston for Jaylen Brown 14, 26 and 30.

PICK 3 - LaMelo Ball, Killian Hayes (traid bait)

PICK 14 - Tyrell Terry (trade Hayes or Ball for 2 or 3 future 1st if he's here if not keep them)

PICK 14 - Patrick Williams, Jalen Smith, (if Terry isn't here)

PICK 26 - JaDen McDaneils, Saddiq Bey, Zeke Nnaji (if smith is gone)

PICK 30 - Isaiah Joe, Leandro Balmaro

PICK 32 - LaMar Stevens (insurance incase we can't land a PF before him)

Terry
Joe
Brown
Bey
Smith

2 or 3 future first rounders for either Hayes or Ball via trade

worst case scenerio

Hayes or Ball
Joe / Alexander, Mane with pick 56
Brown
Stevens
Smith / Nnaji

No future picks but we pick up a PG, SG, PF and Center as the worst case scenerio
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1443 » by BigSlam » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:51 pm

UNCNYC wrote:I am soooo happy I am not a GM lmao.

Not as happy as we are!!

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#1444 » by UNCNYC » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:00 pm

BigSlam wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:I am soooo happy I am not a GM lmao.

Not as happy as we are!!

;)

lol. I definately would be the most bold and intruiging GM ever tho lol.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#1445 » by Braggins » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:38 pm

I actually do like the idea of taking Isaiah Joe at 32.
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#1446 » by Rays Pompadour » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:49 pm

Boom potential - Top 3
Ball - 80%
Wiseman - 75%
Edwards - 90%

Bust potential - Top 3
Ball - 25%
Wiseman - 25%
Edwards - 40%

Risk potential - Top 3:
Ball - 40%
Wiseman - 35%
Edwards - 45%

There is science behind this...somewhere.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#1447 » by 316Hornets » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:30 am

https://www.sportscasting.com/lamelo-ball-just-made-a-curious-decision-right-before-the-nba-draft/

A “Pro Day” video that utilizes a mobile basketball training application and “Combine HQ” online software is also available to prospects. With all of these innovations in place, Ball still decided to sit it out, according to Bleacher Report. He did participate in the standard league video interview and media session, indicating that he has no preference in the draft.

After the interview, the top prospect withdrew “from the remainder of the Combine and will not interview directly with teams” and won’t attend workout sessions. Ball told USA Today, “I feel I could play on any team and do good anywhere I go, so anything that happens, I’m positive.”
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#1448 » by yosemiteben » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:11 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259929/Certain-Teams-To-Skip-Live-Workouts-Ahead-Of-NBA-Draft

There is no way I could draft Wiseman on three college games, no combine, and no workout.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1449 » by BigSlam » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:27 pm

yosemiteben wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259929/Certain-Teams-To-Skip-Live-Workouts-Ahead-Of-NBA-Draft

There is no way I could draft Wiseman on three college games, no combine, and no workout.

Does that mean back when prospects could go straight from high school to pro you wouldn’t have drafted any of them?

Or if in the future high school kids could declare for the NBA you wouldn’t draft them?

B B M F 'ers
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1450 » by yosemiteben » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:30 pm

BigSlam wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259929/Certain-Teams-To-Skip-Live-Workouts-Ahead-Of-NBA-Draft

Does that mean back when prospects could go straight from high school to pro you wouldn’t have drafted any of them?

Or if in the future high school kids could declare for the NBA you wouldn’t draft them?

If I couldn't work them out and they only played three games their senior year, then yep.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1451 » by BigSlam » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:35 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
BigSlam wrote:

If I couldn't work them out and they only played three games their senior year, then yep.

But Wiseman didn’t only play 3 games his last year in high school - did he?

Any how many projected top 5 picks participate in the combine and workouts etc these days?

Just seems like you are eliminating most of the top prospects every year when prospects could go from high to the NBA (as they will be able to again soon).

Also means you’re eliminating Ball as well (which you might have done anyways).

B B M F 'ers
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1452 » by yosemiteben » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:03 pm

BigSlam wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
BigSlam wrote:Does that mean back when prospects could go straight from high school to pro you wouldn’t have drafted any of them?

But Wiseman didn’t only play 3 games his last year in high school - did he?

Any how many projected top 5 picks participate in the combine and workouts etc these days?

Just seems like you are eliminating most of the top prospects every year when prospects could go from high to the NBA (as they will be able to again soon).

Also means you’re eliminating Ball as well (which you might have done anyways).

He has played three games of organized basketball in the last 18 months. He did play high school basketball, but my point is that if you're comparing him to HS prospects, then it would be the equivalent of them only playing 3 games their senior year, since that's the year before the draft for them.

I think it would be highly unusual for a high school prospect to miss virtually their entire senior seasons, then sit out the combine and be unwilling to do workouts.

Obviously here it's different because the article is talking about teams choosing not to participate in workouts, rather than the player choosing it. Regardless, I wouldn't pick Wiseman if I couldn't do a workout.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1453 » by BigSlam » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:37 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Regardless, I wouldn't pick Wiseman if I couldn't do a workout.

Your statement was that there was no way you could draft Wiseman on 3 college games.

My response was that players that go from high school directly to the NBA play less than 3 college games, so if the amount of college games someone as played is your baseline criteria, then you are putting a line through a number of prospects in the past and also in the future.

Don't get me wrong, it's not ideal, but it's not a game breaker for me. If he, or another prospect, had a catastrophic injury that kept him to only 3 college games I'd get it, but that wasn't the case here.

my point is that if you're comparing him to HS prospects, then it would be the equivalent of them only playing 3 games their senior year, since that's the year before the draft for them.

This doesn't make any sense. Wiseman played a full high school senior year of basketball, so you compare him to others who played a full year of senior high school basketball.

He's essentially going straight from high school to the NBA. Or you could say he red shirted his freshman college season and was 100% decision based, not injury based.
B B M F 'ers
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1454 » by yosemiteben » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:28 pm

My point is the dude has played 3 games of organized basketball in 18 months. Sure, it's like he redshirted. I wouldn't draft a redshirted dude that didn't do the combine or an individual workout unless he's a LeBron-level transcendent talent.

Look, I'm one of the Wiseman early adopters, in the sense that I'm ok drafting a C high - my issue with him is just that he's too big of an unknown. And, again, this assumes we can't see him do a workout, which I don't know to be true.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1455 » by DY_nasty » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:12 pm

yosemiteben wrote:My point is the dude has played 3 games of organized basketball in 18 months. Sure, it's like he redshirted. I wouldn't draft a redshirted dude that didn't do the combine or an individual workout unless he's a LeBron-level transcendent talent.

Look, I'm one of the Wiseman early adopters, in the sense that I'm ok drafting a C high - my issue with him is just that he's too big of an unknown. And, again, this assumes we can't see him do a workout, which I don't know to be true.

?

You're saying this like high school guys, younger than Wiseman, weren't able to ice workouts and go lottery. This has been the game.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1456 » by yosemiteben » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:16 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:My point is the dude has played 3 games of organized basketball in 18 months. Sure, it's like he redshirted. I wouldn't draft a redshirted dude that didn't do the combine or an individual workout unless he's a LeBron-level transcendent talent.

?

You're saying this like high school guys, younger than Wiseman, weren't able to ice workouts and go lottery. This has been the game.

But high school guys being considered for a top 3 pick usually played more than 3 games in the 18 month period before they were drafted.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#1457 » by LofJ » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:27 pm

Wiseman would have played more than 3 games if the NCAA didn't force him to repay money he didn't have as a precondition to return. He'd also be playing actual, organized NBA basketball right now if it wasn't for covid-19.

So it's important to recognize that these are extraordinary circumstances and consequently the normal player evaluation process isn't happening.

Also, agents give players (who let's remember are barely adults) bad advice all the time. They often aren't worth what they're paid and as such can negatively impact the careers of their clients. Not saying that is what's happening here, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#1458 » by Braggins » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:40 pm

Didn't the article just say that some teams are choosing to skip workouts? I didnt see anything about Wiseman refusing to do workouts.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1459 » by DY_nasty » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:28 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:

?

But high school guys being considered for a top 3 pick usually played more than 3 games in the 18 month period before they were drafted.

The 18 months thing is kinda.... you know, global pandemic and all more than anything else. Its not like the guy was iced and in jail or something.

Hell, Giles still went 1st round after everything that went on with him. He'd have been a top 5 prospect in this draft too - injuries and all.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,169

Post#1460 » by SWedd523 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:14 pm

Kyrie went #1 after only playing 11 games

Return to Charlotte Hornets