Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,676

Montrezl Harrell or Davis Bertrans 

Post#1 » by penbeast0 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:35 pm

Montrezl Harrell or Davis Bertrans

Assuming they both get signed for 12-15 million a year and are signed for 3-4 more years, which would you rather have on your favorite team? If it's close enough that the difference between 3 and 4 years or 12 and 15 million is the key, say so.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
The Master
Rookie
And1: 1,586

Re: Montrezl Harrell or Davis Bertrans 

Post#2 » by The Master » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:45 pm

Harrell can provide more raw boxscore production in regular season, but I believe Bertans is more difficult to exposed by opposing teams in playoffs, although he's not perfect fit for playoff basketball neither. Harrell with his perimeter and pnr defense is basically unplayable against elite ballhandlers/bigs. I also believe Bertans provides more rare skillset even in modern league.

So that depends if your favorite team is 40-ish team or true contender: if you're fine with just making playoffs or being good in regular season, then I'd consider Harrell, if you're running for title contention - I'd go with Bertans, although both with mentioned contracts would be overpaid for me from perspective of potential decrease of salary cap.
Jordan Syndrome
Sixth Man
And1: 1,425

Post#3 » by Jordan Syndrome » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:22 pm

Harrell should be getting a contract at or below the MLE. I can see Bertans getting a 1 year, $20 Million or sign something like 3 year, $48 Million with the third year a team option.

Different caliber players.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,741

Post#4 » by eminence » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:30 pm

On Utah I'd certainly prefer Bertans, Harrell is a pretty bad fit on our squad while Bertans is almost perfect. May be closer on other squads.
I bought a boat.
penbeast0

Post#5 » by penbeast0 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:32 pm

I haven't seen Harrell that much, is his away from the basket defense that poor? I like his physicality but is he mentally clueless or just not quick enough to stay with people?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Jordan Syndrome
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by Jordan Syndrome » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:36 pm

penbeast0 wrote:I haven't seen Harrell that much, is his away from the basket defense that poor? I like his physicality but is he mentally clueless or just not quick enough to stay with people?

He is a glorified energy and hustle guy who doesn't actually impact a basketball game in...great or elite ways.

In the post-season he is too small to guard the good centers and too slow on the perimeter to guard 4's.
Jordan Syndrome
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by Jordan Syndrome » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:40 pm

penbeast0 wrote:I haven't seen Harrell that much, is his away from the basket defense that poor? I like his physicality but is he mentally clueless or just not quick enough to stay with people?

I understand small sample sizes, but check out his On/Off in the post-season over the past 2 seasons.

2019: -21.7 on court, -28.4 On/Off
2020:
2020: -13.2 on court, -28.5 On/Off

Does a team really want to play 10+ Million for a player who is unable to play in the post-season?
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,222

Post#8 » by Statlanta » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:54 pm

Harrell, Bertans is declining on one of the worst situations in basketball.

Harrell is a 6th man of the year candidate on a contender.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
penbeast0

Post#9 » by penbeast0 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:39 pm

Statlanta wrote:Harrell, Bertans is declining on one of the worst situations in basketball.

Harrell is a 6th man of the year candidate on a contender.

Bertrans is declining? Not sure what you mean by that. I think he had pretty much a career year with clear highs in MPG, scoring volume, and a virtual tie for efficiency.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,496

Post#10 » by pillwenney » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:33 am

I feel like Harrell is getting pummeled by recency bias in this thread. There were definitely plenty of outside factors to consider with his postseason performance. His motor, energy, and interior scoring can absolutely be game-changing.

It's close enough to where it depends on your roster IMO, but in a vacuum, my gut still says Harrell.
rand
Starter
And1: 3,154

Post#11 » by rand » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:40 am

Not close in my mind. Bertans is such a great role player for this era, the Spurs were mistaken to let him go for Marcus Morris in the first place. How many teams get to put one of the league's best 3pt shooters on the court at the 4?
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,860

Post#12 » by Dutchball97 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:52 am

Bertans is a very solid stretch 4, while these play-offs have really tanked Trez value imo. He's a one-dimensional offensive player who doesn't try on defense. Ideal 6th man for the regular season but I don't think he'll be very impactful in the play-offs unless he changes his game.

Hopefully Harrell gets traded and takes that as a wake up call.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#13 » by King Ken » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:20 am

Harrell because he's a plus basketball player in the regular season in his role but in the playoffs, his value can be lessen because he's a pattern player.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#14 » by chitownsalesmen » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:46 am

Two very different players, Harrell can have higher peaks Bertans is more portable.

I think in the right situation Harrell can put up better numbers than Bertans but Bertans is a lot easier to just plug in to a team and have him produce without uprooting the offense, also Bertans shooting/spacing fits in better with star level players.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#15 » by Leslie Forman » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:49 am

pillwenney wrote:I feel like Harrell is getting pummeled by recency bias in this thread. There were definitely plenty of outside factors to consider with his postseason performance. His motor, energy, and interior scoring can absolutely be game-changing.

It's close enough to where it depends on your roster IMO, but in a vacuum, my gut still says Harrell.

Eh, there's a lot of Faried-ness to Harrell, and I'm not just saying that because of their looks.

He obviously puts up stats and just looks like he's doing a lot out there, but…what he's doing out there is all for himself and really isn't helping anybody else on the team. He's just not much of a ceiling raiser on a really good team, IMO.
Jordan Syndrome
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by Jordan Syndrome » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:52 pm

King Ken wrote:Harrell because he's a plus basketball player in the regular season in his role but in the playoffs, his value can be lessen because he's a pattern player.

This is not an argument for Harrell.

Bertans is just as good, if not better in the regular season. I can see Bertans having "Duncan Robinson-like" impact in the post-season, which eclipses everything and anything we have seen from Harrell.

What makes Harrell better than Dwight Howard? Dwight Howard is a player I much prefer to have in the post-season. Dwight Howard is a close-to minimum level player.
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,947

Post#17 » by SHAQ32 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:23 pm

Bertrans, assuming he's not a playoff choker like Matt Bonner.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#18 » by King Ken » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:40 pm

Jordan Syndrome wrote:
King Ken wrote:Harrell because he's a plus basketball player in the regular season in his role but in the playoffs, his value can be lessen because he's a pattern player.

Bertans is just as good, if not better in the regular season. I can see Bertans having "Duncan Robinson-like" impact in the post-season, which eclipses everything and anything we have seen from Harrell.

What makes Harrell better than Dwight Howard? Dwight Howard is a player I much prefer to have in the post-season. Dwight Howard is a close-to minimum level player.

This is not true. Harrell is far more productive.

I can see Bertrans doing that too but how many teams use his types like GS and Miami and have playmaking big who creates for others? You are putting his best case when that's just not likely. For most teams, he's an off the bench stretch 4.

Harrell is a thousand times better right now than Howard. Yeah, I don't think you watch much basketball outside of the bubble.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#19 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:47 am

King Ken wrote:
Jordan Syndrome wrote:

This is not true. Harrell is far more productive.

I can see Bertrans doing that too but how many teams use his types like GS and Miami and have playmaking big who creates for others? You are putting his best case when that's just not likely. For most teams, he's an off the bench stretch 4.

Harrell is a thousand times better right now than Howard. Yeah, I don't think you watch much basketball outside of the bubble.

Production doesnt mean anything, impact does. Harrell can't create his own shot, can't shoot and can't play defense. His ability to get garbage points is taken away in the post season.

Not a very useful player. It works in the regular season because games are 1/1, low stakes and the competition varies widely.

As for saying something like the perfect situation - you're talking about a guy who is on a mega deep team, let's not act like Harrell is on some trash team who can't cover his weaknesses.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,496

Post#20 » by pillwenney » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:10 am

Leslie Forman wrote:
pillwenney wrote:I feel like Harrell is getting pummeled by recency bias in this thread. There were definitely plenty of outside factors to consider with his postseason performance. His motor, energy, and interior scoring can absolutely be game-changing.

Eh, there's a lot of Faried-ness to Harrell, and I'm not just saying that because of their looks.

He obviously puts up stats and just looks like he's doing a lot out there, but…what he's doing out there is all for himself and really isn't helping anybody else on the team. He's just not much of a ceiling raiser on a really good team, IMO.

He's not a playmaker seems to be what you're saying, which I agree with.

I also get why he's not a starter.

I do think, as this entire regular season indicated, and as many seem to have forgotten, is that he can be a devastating sparkplug scoring option.

Return to Player Comparisons