Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Re: Offseason plan : Fixing this mess 

Post#1201 » by Sixerscan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:36 pm

76ciology wrote:
Mik317 wrote:what we aren;t going to do is defend any of the moves this past offseason. Who gives a **** what the media thinks. The media doesn't give a **** about this franchise. The media whining is part of why we are in the spot we are now thanks to them blowing a gasket over the process. The media also has been trying to break up Ben and Jo forever now; so them propping up the team only for it to not work out only plays into their narrative.

Look yes. Team building takes luck however this FO decided that the best option for this team was to take away our best shooter and our best shot creator and replace them with more guys who's best positions are the same as our two building blocks. Thats not **** being unlucky. There is no hindsight involved.\Every single move made this offseason backfired., the "best" one of taking Mattise is tainted by being sniped by Boston and honestly I question how much better he's going to get so lets pump the breaks their as well.

again these front office moves could be big; they could be moving the deck chairs on the titanic...or somewhere in the middle. Contracts are tricky things so who knows what is really going on in the background. But make no mistake there is no defending the job that was done last offseason...there is no unluckiness involved there. They made poor decisions.

Most people on this forum (see pages 9 of the threads) were also on board with the moves we made for the 2019-2020 season. So it’s not just like the entire media projected us to be a really good team.

It’s almost consensus given how the fans (our board and social media), analytics and actual NBA executives and coaches all projected our team to made the finals. When they made that projection, they were looking at the overall team’s talent.

And we have to respect that these guys may be more knowledgeable than us, mere fans who don’t have any skin in the game or machinery than them.

I can lay down all the links of these opinions/projections if you wish to look at it.

For instance, we all know we were one of the top teams in the power rankings to start the season. I believe it goes downhill when Biid got suspended.

Then by Feb (mid season), we were still projected to be the top team in the east. That is despite all the injuries and chemistry issues.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/76ers/sixers-nba-finals-chances-bucks-lakers-clippers

Sure we got swept, but during the bubble we had one of the top offense during the bubble (i’ll check again). And we didn’t have Ben playing during the playoffs.

If you ask me (gut feel) it’s really more an internal locker room issue with us than a talent issue.

I saw a power ranking on the Athletic for next season listing the Sixers at #12. If they stay there through the offseason does that mean the front office did a bad job at some point or does all that matter what people thought of this team in summer 2019 before anyone saw them play together?

And they may have not have fired Brand/brought someone in over him but you don't make all these lower changes in the front office if you are happy with how things are going. You have all of these Pompey articles writing about how the Sixers are blaming analytics for doing poorly which is (1) really concerning to read about a NBA team in 2020 and (2) again a sign they don't think they were running the team properly.

At the end of the day though, I'm not sure it's so much that people overestimated the Sixers (I agree that they would have had a better result this year with better health, coaching, chemistry etc.) but more that people underestimated how good the front offices of the other eastern teams are. Like at the time we thought the Sixers and Bucks were going to win 50+ and everyone else was going to max out in 45-48 range with no real threat in the playoffs. Instead Toronto, Boston, Miami all had much better teams than people thought they would, and a lot of that comes down to their front offices being well run and identifying young guys and underrated vets that were going to be good pieces for them.

Now that those teams have caught up to us the idea of having an inexperienced GM in Brand and no one notable under him that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that they're not going to get left further behind. Brand doesn't have to just be an ok GM to pull this off at this point he has to be better than the GMs of those other teams.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#1202 » by freshie2 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:45 pm

I'm all for changes to the roster, but how big a jump can they make if Ben simply becomes a competent mid range shooter? Spacing improves, his ability to drive improves, and the general ball movement improves. He never appears to be a player who is not working at his craft, so I'm still holding out hope this year is the year he makes a big jump - if he does the narrative on the Sixers will change even if the current roster doesn't change significantly.

That being said, I don't think Rivers will be happy if the roster returns without fairly significant changes.

Do they possibly have enough sweetener to get both Wall and Beal from the Wizards for a package based on the salaries of Horford and Tobias?? Would it take 3 first round picks for them to even consider?
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#1203 » by Sixersftw » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:10 pm

freshie2 wrote:I'm all for changes to the roster, but how big a jump can they make if Ben simply becomes a competent mid range shooter? Spacing improves, his ability to drive improves, and the general ball movement improves. He never appears to be a player who is not working at his craft, so I'm still holding out hope this year is the year he makes a big jump - if he does the narrative on the Sixers will change even if the current roster doesn't change significantly.

The change would be huge. Ben w/ a consistent mid range game is a top 10 player. Ben with a 3pt shot is basically slightly worse Lebron (think Kobe-MJ). However, you have to assume that both of those outcomes are unlikely at this point. His development has been slight and incremental offensively. Expecting a profound change seems like a recipe for disappointment.
Do they possibly have enough sweetener to get both Wall and Beal from the Wizards for a package based on the salaries of Horford and Tobias?? Would it take 3 first round picks for them to even consider?

They don't. It's essentially 3 late firsts and a bad-terrible contract for an all-star, perfect fit for the Sixers. Someone would top that easily even if you include Matisse or shake or whatever not named Ben and Embiid. I'm assuming Wall's contract is slightly worse than Tobias but calling it a wash.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,807

Post#1204 » by Mik317 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:22 pm

if your only defense is that "well other people thought we would be good" or "other teams also made poor choices" then its not a good defense
#NeverGonnaBeGood
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#1205 » by PhillyPhilly » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:49 pm

Mik317 wrote:if your only defense is that "well other people thought we would be good" or "other teams also made poor choices" then its not a good defense

Yes but the injury record is a fact...and that's pretty much all that's needed :D .
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#1206 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:01 pm

BB_Fan wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:It really does make me laugh how so many people are baying for every member of the front offices blood when the reality is their record over the last few years has actually been more positive than negative.

1. They showed a willingness to try and get stars and make us a championship contender

2. They drafted Shamet, Shake and Matisse

3. They created a roster in 2018 that many believed was a top two roster in the league and that team was 15-2 before the playoffs and took the eventual champs to the last second of the game in game seven

4. The team they put together last year was also hailed as one of the best in the league and seen as favourites in the East. And that team would go on to hold a historic record at home whilst injuries killed their momentum on the road and ended their chances in the playoffs

5. Showed an ability to pick up some bargains like Alec Burks, Ennis etc

6. Turned the Fultz fiasco into a 21ST PICK

Now of course they've made mistakes!!..

1. Zhaire Smith pick looks terrible right now

2. Horford contract is clearly bad

3. Gave a little too much money Tobias (although I still agree with them trading for him)

4. Couldn't convince Jimmy to stay

Etc etc...so it's a mixed bag. But the way people talk it's as if they have been a disaster from start to finish and that simply isn't true. They've drafted relatively well, They've been aggressive in trying to bring stars to Philly, know how to spot a decent bargain in free agency and now they've gotten rid of Brett and attracted a championship winning coach.

Now, look at that list above and tell me what makes Daryl Morey's record In recent years any better than that? Morey went after stars too and gave out big contracts to the likes of Chris Paul and where did it get them? Then he goes and gets Westbrook who's contract is another disaster!!...then we can look at their draft record!!..who have the Rockets drafted lately that has made a huge impact? And yet Morey is seen as some "master GM" and Elton is crapped on? To me Morey is the Brad Stevens of GM's...reputation is bigger than the results. And don't get me wrong, If we can get Morey to be part of the front office then I'm all for it...but I just wanted to add some perspective. Morey had prime Harden, Chris Paul and Westbrook and couldn't even reach a finals!!..meanwhile Elton has only been GM for one and a half years, has been surrounded by the last GM's guys but at least his team could point to the fact that one of our major stars was missing during our playoff failure.

As for the two new hires. Karangwa is very interesting because if you look at his basketball resume it almost reads as identical to Masai Ujiri. Used to be a pro player in Europe, lots of connections to African players, Joins the Magic as a scout (just like Ujiri) and has now made the move to another organisation (Just like Ujiri did when he joined Denver) so it's gonna be very interesting to see how he does with us. Dinwiddie also appears to be a rising figure in the game who had been eyed by many organisations previously as a potential GM..so this is another decent appointment hopefully.

Let me list the mistakes of Front Office . Front Office folks are paid very well and the decisions they have made are useless -

1) Fultz - why draft him # 1 and not trade him before his value dropped.

2) Al Horford contract - There was no need to sign for 4 year contract at 108 M year. It only makes sense if you plan to trade embiid.

3) Tobias Contract -. He is an average player that you get a lot in NBA. He will never make it to All NBA team or be an All star. He is paid at that level.

4) 2018 draft night trade was useless. Zhaire smith is useless and we wasted Mikal Bridges who would have been contributor.

The roster they assembled is so bad that team cannot win any road game. The team would have been better if that had not traded anybody and retained the 2018 team.
These are misses that can't be ignored. Lord Hinkie handed these clowns a can't lose situation and they massacred his orchard piece by piece.

Its time for new blood and I'm not sure that's debatable.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#1207 » by Sixerscan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:26 am

Sixersftw wrote:
freshie2 wrote:I'm all for changes to the roster, but how big a jump can they make if Ben simply becomes a competent mid range shooter? Spacing improves, his ability to drive improves, and the general ball movement improves. He never appears to be a player who is not working at his craft, so I'm still holding out hope this year is the year he makes a big jump - if he does the narrative on the Sixers will change even if the current roster doesn't change significantly.

The change would be huge. Ben w/ a consistent mid range game is a top 10 player. Ben with a 3pt shot is basically slightly worse Lebron (think Kobe-MJ). However, you have to assume that both of those outcomes are unlikely at this point. His development has been slight and incremental offensively. Expecting a profound change seems like a recipe for disappointment.

They don't. It's essentially 3 late firsts and a bad-terrible contract for an all-star, perfect fit for the Sixers. Someone would top that easily even if you include Matisse or shake or whatever not named Ben and Embiid. I'm assuming Wall's contract is slightly worse than Tobias but calling it a wash.

Walls contract is much worse than Harris’s. It’s not clear what wall is going to be Abel to give you.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#1208 » by Sixersftw » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:38 am

Sixerscan wrote:Walls contract is much worse than Harris’s. It’s not clear what wall is going to be Abel to give you.

For some reason I thought Wall's contract started a year earlier. I'd take the mystery box if it got me off the contract 2 years earlier.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
BB_Fan
Junior
And1: 52

Post#1209 » by BB_Fan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:20 am

ankle420breaker wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:It really does make me laugh how so many people are baying for every member of the front offices blood when the reality is their record over the last few years has actually been more positive than negative.

1. They showed a willingness to try and get stars and make us a championship contender

2. They drafted Shamet, Shake and Matisse

3. They created a roster in 2018 that many believed was a top two roster in the league and that team was 15-2 before the playoffs and took the eventual champs to the last second of the game in game seven

4. The team they put together last year was also hailed as one of the best in the league and seen as favourites in the East. And that team would go on to hold a historic record at home whilst injuries killed their momentum on the road and ended their chances in the playoffs

5. Showed an ability to pick up some bargains like Alec Burks, Ennis etc

6. Turned the Fultz fiasco into a 21ST PICK

Now of course they've made mistakes!!..

1. Zhaire Smith pick looks terrible right now

2. Horford contract is clearly bad

3. Gave a little too much money Tobias (although I still agree with them trading for him)

4. Couldn't convince Jimmy to stay

Etc etc...so it's a mixed bag. But the way people talk it's as if they have been a disaster from start to finish and that simply isn't true. They've drafted relatively well, They've been aggressive in trying to bring stars to Philly, know how to spot a decent bargain in free agency and now they've gotten rid of Brett and attracted a championship winning coach.

Now, look at that list above and tell me what makes Daryl Morey's record In recent years any better than that? Morey went after stars too and gave out big contracts to the likes of Chris Paul and where did it get them? Then he goes and gets Westbrook who's contract is another disaster!!...then we can look at their draft record!!..who have the Rockets drafted lately that has made a huge impact? And yet Morey is seen as some "master GM" and Elton is crapped on? To me Morey is the Brad Stevens of GM's...reputation is bigger than the results. And don't get me wrong, If we can get Morey to be part of the front office then I'm all for it...but I just wanted to add some perspective. Morey had prime Harden, Chris Paul and Westbrook and couldn't even reach a finals!!..meanwhile Elton has only been GM for one and a half years, has been surrounded by the last GM's guys but at least his team could point to the fact that one of our major stars was missing during our playoff failure.

As for the two new hires. Karangwa is very interesting because if you look at his basketball resume it almost reads as identical to Masai Ujiri. Used to be a pro player in Europe, lots of connections to African players, Joins the Magic as a scout (just like Ujiri) and has now made the move to another organisation (Just like Ujiri did when he joined Denver) so it's gonna be very interesting to see how he does with us. Dinwiddie also appears to be a rising figure in the game who had been eyed by many organisations previously as a potential GM..so this is another decent appointment hopefully.

Let me list the mistakes of Front Office . Front Office folks are paid very well and the decisions they have made are useless -

1) Fultz - why draft him # 1 and not trade him before his value dropped.

2) Al Horford contract - There was no need to sign for 4 year contract at 108 M year. It only makes sense if you plan to trade embiid.

3) Tobias Contract -. He is an average player that you get a lot in NBA. He will never make it to All NBA team or be an All star. He is paid at that level.

4) 2018 draft night trade was useless. Zhaire smith is useless and we wasted Mikal Bridges who would have been contributor.

The roster they assembled is so bad that team cannot win any road game. The team would have been better if that had not traded anybody and retained the 2018 team.
These are misses that can't be ignored. Lord Hinkie handed these clowns a can't lose situation and they massacred his orchard piece by piece.

Its time for new blood and I'm not sure that's debatable.

I agree if owner is really serious he should fire entire front office including Elton Brand. They did a horrible Harris trade with clippers and then messed again by signing Al and Tobias. The CAP flexibility is gone and all draft picks have been wasted.

I feel 76ers have missed the championship window and the fault is sorely on Elton Brand, BC and the front office.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 411

Post#1210 » by Zumramania » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:01 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
I saw a power ranking on the Athletic for next season listing the Sixers at #12. If they stay there through the offseason does that mean the front office did a bad job at some point or does all that matter what people thought of this team in summer 2019 before anyone saw them play together?

And they may have not have fired Brand/brought someone in over him but you don't make all these lower changes in the front office if you are happy with how things are going. You have all of these Pompey articles writing about how the Sixers are blaming analytics for doing poorly which is (1) really concerning to read about a NBA team in 2020 and (2) again a sign they don't think they were running the team properly.

At the end of the day though, I'm not sure it's so much that people overestimated the Sixers (I agree that they would have had a better result this year with better health, coaching, chemistry etc.) but more that people underestimated how good the front offices of the other eastern teams are. Like at the time we thought the Sixers and Bucks were going to win 50+ and everyone else was going to max out in 45-48 range with no real threat in the playoffs. Instead Toronto, Boston, Miami all had much better teams than people thought they would, and a lot of that comes down to their front offices being well run and identifying young guys and underrated vets that were going to be good pieces for them.

Now that those teams have caught up to us the idea of having an inexperienced GM in Brand and no one notable under him that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that they're not going to get left further behind. Brand doesn't have to just be an ok GM to pull this off at this point he has to be better than the GMs of those other teams.

Well yeah, lack of accountability is a classic sign of a toxic organization, so there's that. However, it is possible that they really relied on analytics when making these decisions. Richardson, Horford and Harris probably all had very good advanced stats but this was based on their performance in other teams in other circumstances. When the Sixers team was assembled, it quickly became clear that the whole was much less than the sum of its parts. On the other hand, in other strong Eastern teams (Toronto, Boston, Miami) the whole was more than the sum of its parts, especially in Toronto and Miami.

You can say that this was a coaching issue and that Brown didn't maximize this talent, which was certainly true to a large extent. However, these guys also did not fit together well regardless of the coach and in their previous teams they were utilized so that their performances were maximized. To get back to analytics, I kinda do think it was their job as well to look beyond the advanced stats and point out to the fact that maybe these players were performing in ideal circumstances for them and that it is not certain how will they perform in the context of the Sixers team.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#1211 » by Sixerscan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:49 pm

Zumramania wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Well yeah, lack of accountability is a classic sign of a toxic organization, so there's that. However, it is possible that they really relied on analytics when making these decisions. Richardson, Horford and Harris probably all had very good advanced stats but this was based on their performance in other teams in other circumstances. When the Sixers team was assembled, it quickly became clear that the whole was much less than the sum of its parts. On the other hand, in other strong Eastern teams (Toronto, Boston, Miami) the whole was more than the sum of its parts, especially in Toronto and Miami.

You can say that this was a coaching issue and that Brown didn't maximize this talent, which was certainly true to a large extent. However, these guys also did not fit together well regardless of the coach and in their previous teams they were utilized so that their performances were maximized. To get back to analytics, I kinda do think it was their job as well to look beyond the advanced stats and point out to the fact that maybe these players were performing in ideal circumstances for them and that it is not certain how will they perform in the context of the Sixers team.

Well I think NBA teams in 2020 are well aware that you can't just take someone's RPM or whatever and have it translate to another team. Like that's the whole point, if they were just doing that (which I very much doubt, because again that's pretty basic) then the issue was bad people running their analytics not that analytics are bad. The way you solve that is by hiring better people not going away from it.

Anyway what actual proof do we have that the Sixers used analytics any more than other teams? Daryl Morey got his start with the Celtics over a decade ago. Zarren, the #2 in the Celtics' organization has in his bio that he is "widely recognized as one of the leaders in the field of advanced statistical analysis of basketball players and teams...." Ainge goes to the Sloan conference regularly. I never heard anything about analytics being the problem with this team before the whole front office tug of war started. And no beat writer around the team is saying it besides Pompey who is... Pompey.

It just seems very blatant that the less analytically inclined people in the front office (who have never won anything in this league, btw, so I'm not sure why we think they have any idea what they are doing, either) used Pompey to get their message out there as a way to cast the blame elsewhere. Where were all of these basketball people last summer when they signed Horford? (Who by the way, is Brand's ex-teammate and plays a fairly similar style to Brand, who generally played the 4 instead of the 5. Hmm....)

Anyway, that still goes back to the point I was making. The Sixers weren't happy with how they were running their team. Whether the adjustment makes sense is a whole other question.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#1212 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:32 am

Given the direction of this team, i don’t think we’re going away from the analytics and it’s more of replacing old analytic guys with new analytic guys. You guys mention metrics like RPM. Maybe we need some new metrics like ZPM or XPM, because using the current metrics isn’t working. We need some metrics that can include ego, injuries and feelings.

Btw, it’s not just RPM that projected us to be the top team in the east. It includes PIPM, BPI, CARMELO and etc. ..and also eyetest by real NBA executives, real NBA scouts and real ex-NBA players. Even the armchair quarterbacks of this board at realgms also projects us to be the top team in the east. So it’s not like people ended up with the conclusion that we are the top team in the east just by adding all the RPMs.

When it comes to analytics underperforming, I could say the same thing for Morey and the Rockets performance this season. And maybe even the Celts were they were beaten by a way inferior talented team than theirs.

I dont think we have to fear that the team is going away from the analytics, that is for sure. And it’s not like we are replacing nobel winning data scientists for random newly grad guys.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#1213 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:43 am

I also don’t think the championship window is closed. This sentiment is largely affected with how the season ended. Consider how injury affected our season like Ben not being able to play in the playoffs when our team seems to be clicking.

You look at the Heat roster, they are no where as talented as our team and they made the finals. Nobody projected them to make the finals and they did.

Celts were our b*tch during the regular season. It’s as if we got their numbers and they swept us in the play-offs.

Our team beat top teams like the Lakers, not on full strength. And we played like the best team in the league at home.

Even if you field the best talent on one team, there’s no guarantee of winning. What matters is you have a chance, you give yourself a chance by playing our best. Atleast 200% effort all the time. And this mindset is what made the Celts and Heat what they are.

Did we play our best last season? I don’t think so.

Also take consider that there are guys who don’t want to play in the bubble. For example, Avery Bradley. Guys like Hayward or Embiid MAY want to see the birth of their baby. Or Lou Will who want his baby to dance on his lap. :lol:

This is why Doc Rivers was hired. Doc is known to make sure the guys on the floor plays their best. He’s known as the CPO. Chief Performance Officer. While Brett is that nice teacher in school we had that nobody listens to :lol:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Mik317
RealGM

Post#1214 » by Mik317 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:54 pm

People keep trying to use Ben's injury as an out when idk I thought we looked pretty ass with him out there at the start of the bubble. He got lit the **** up by Warren and the offense still looked poopy. Stop trying to make excuses for this team. They are a team full of dudes who like to take their time in the midrange cast into guys who would "bully" others and no perimeter threats to make that work. It was a bad idea implemented even worse IMO. It gets lost in everything that I don't hate any of the guys on the team individually. Horford is a terrible fit BUT I think he is still a solid NBA player, just miscast here. His best role is as a top of the key passer who can occasionally make defenses pay for sagging off. Can't do that here as by default he is often the 2nd or 3rd best shooter on the floor lol. Tobias is overpaid as **** and even as someone who was **** on Shamet at the time of the trade, it was a bad trade....HOWEVA he is a good dude and in theory could also benefit with more willing shooters around him. He is just not comfortable as the main source of spacing and benefits from being guarded by 4s more than 3s. So again another dude miscast.

So yeah while on paper, you see all the names and the theory about the team but the reality is that none of these guys ever shown the ability to do the things we asked of them for long streches of time. Josh and Tobias aren't high volume shooters. Al is not a full time 4 who likes to shoot 3s. Ben and Embiid stagnating also plays a big role too. This team was built off of the idea that Ben was going to return as a willing shooter and Embiid was going to lock in...when neither of those things has happened and we made it even harder for them to do so via losing things that made things easier for them....AND THE BENCH WAS STILL ASS LOL.

I don't know **** about analytics. IMO you can find numbers to back up whatever you want if you try hard enough. I do know that in the modern NBA shooting is key. I agree with Doc that you can't try to be the Warriors. I am always in favor of looking for the next advancement. But the idea that our analytics stated that putting a team full of 3 forwards and two centers together and making them all take shots that they never took in bulk before was the move is baffling to me. Look at the finals teams and you can see a similar idea BUT both teams had role players who shown the willingness to just spot up and shoot. Herro, Robinson, KCP, .....Danny Green lul, and even **** Rondo. All knew their roles to just spot up and shoot. This made it difficult to double or trap Jimmy or Bron on PNRs and that allowed them space to operate and neither guy is in love with shooting. Bam ate Boston alive because they couldn't double due to Miami's shooters. Its not that hard....and yet here we are.

Look I don't know what happened. Jimmy is a **** and JJ is old and bad on defense. Cool. But the idea to pivot to Horford just makes no sense to me in any context. The fact that this team could have been better off or just as good with bringing Jeremy Lamb and <Insert White Shooter Man here> for a lot cheaper as a poormans run it back says it all to me. And here is the fun part...the idea was to solve the non Embiid minutes issues...no more Greg Monroe....it didn't even fix that issue.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#1215 » by the_process » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:17 pm

76ciology wrote:I also don’t think the championship window is closed. This sentiment is largely affected with how the season ended. Consider how injury affected our season like Ben not being able to play in the playoffs when our team seems to be clicking.

You look at the Heat roster, they are no where as talented as our team and they made the finals. Nobody projected them to make the finals and they did.

Celts were our b*tch during the regular season. It’s as if we got their numbers and they swept us in the play-offs.

Our team beat top teams like the Lakers, not on full strength. And we played like the best team in the league at home.

Even if you field the best talent on one team, there’s no guarantee of winning. What matters is you have a chance, you give yourself a chance by playing our best. Atleast 200% effort all the time. And this mindset is what made the Celts and Heat what they are.

Did we play our best last season? I don’t think so.

Also take consider that there are guys who don’t want to play in the bubble. For example, Avery Bradley. Guys like Hayward or Embiid MAY want to see the birth of their baby. Or Lou Will who want his baby to dance on his lap. :lol:

This is why Doc Rivers was hired. Doc is known to make sure the guys on the floor plays their best. He’s known as the CPO. Chief Performance Officer. While Brett is that nice teacher in school we had that nobody listens to :lol:

Pretty sure the entire Clippers team didn't really want to be in the bubble, that's why Glenn is the coach here now :lol:
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#1216 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:33 pm

Who are some depth guys you'd like to see us pursue on minimum deals this summer?

Jeff Green
Josh Jackson
Willie Hernangomez
Marco Belineli
Jakarr Sampson
Kyle Korver

Some decent options should be available. We'll have some spots to fill after parting with guys like O'Quinn, GRIII, Neto, and likely Burks.

Mik317
RealGM

Post#1217 » by Mik317 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:38 pm

Josh Jackson but mainly for memes. Green makes sense as a Scott replacement. I want shooters but Korver and Beli are food on defense (also think Korver stays w/ the Bucks or retires). Jakarr is my dude but naw.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,862

Post#1218 » by Stanford » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:38 pm

Josh Jackson was good in the G League and not-as-terrible in limited NBA minutes. I'd be cool with giving him a contract if we consolidated some players.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#1219 » by Arsenal » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:04 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Who are some depth guys you'd like to see us pursue on minimum deals this summer?

Jeff Green
Josh Jackson
Willie Hernangomez
Marco Belineli
Jakarr Sampson
Kyle Korver

Some decent options should be available. We'll have some spots to fill after parting with guys like O'Quinn, GRIII, Neto, and likely Burks.

Not interested in proven veteran scrubs, which is all we can afford. I prefer going heavy w/youth and actually using all of our draft picks for a change instead of selling them to pay for little Joshy's yacht.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#1220 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:49 pm

Arsenal wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:Who are some depth guys you'd like to see us pursue on minimum deals this summer?

Jeff Green
Josh Jackson
Willie Hernangomez
Marco Belineli
Jakarr Sampson
Kyle Korver

Not interested in proven veteran scrubs, which is all we can afford. I prefer going heavy w/youth and actually using all of our draft picks for a change instead of selling them to pay for little Joshy's yacht.
Totally agree, but you know that's a pipedream. Josh's yacht isn't going to maintain itself.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers