OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1381 » by humanrefutation » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:03 am

I recently spent a while researching this for my significant other looking to replace her laptop. The Lenovo Yoga's seem to always get reviews that pretty much say "it's a good value for the price." I'd definitely check them out.

The XPS 13 is a gorgeous laptop. I don't mind my current one enough to replace it, but if I was in the market, I'd look at that one.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,625

Post#1382 » by StickeeFingaz » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:37 pm

So I have a PS5 pre-ordered and now I've been doing research about the best monitors/TVs that will take advantage of the new consoles. The new consoles have HDMI 2.1 but my computer monitor and my older 4K TV do not. I'm looking at getting one of the LG CX OLED TVs, all reviews are pretty good. Anybody else figuring out what they're going to use for the new consoles?
#FreeChuckDiesel
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,729

Post#1383 » by RubberSoul » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:22 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:So I have a PS5 pre-ordered and now I've been doing research about the best monitors/TVs that will take advantage of the new consoles. The new consoles have HDMI 2.1 but my computer monitor and my older 4K TV do not. I'm looking at getting one of the LG CX OLED TVs, all reviews are pretty good. Anybody else figuring out what they're going to use for the new consoles?

I ended up getting 65” Sony X900H at Best Buy on sale for $960 because it has HDMI 2.1 and reviews were good for that price point. They are sold out now though.

If my TV budget was higher definitely would have gone with LG CX OLED can’t go wrong with those. Overall I’m really looking forward to next gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,138

Post#1384 » by BMatt07 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:35 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:So I have a PS5 pre-ordered and now I've been doing research about the best monitors/TVs that will take advantage of the new consoles. The new consoles have HDMI 2.1 but my computer monitor and my older 4K TV do not. I'm looking at getting one of the LG CX OLED TVs, all reviews are pretty good. Anybody else figuring out what they're going to use for the new consoles?

I don't think 4K 120FPS is going to be standard by any means. I'm not sure if HDMI 2.1 is going to be necessary quite yet, to be honest.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#1385 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:19 pm

Defector has an article up about the mobile football game Retro Bowl. I've probably spent twenty minutes gaming on my phone over the last two years, but this one is awesome. I'm gonna lose so many hours at work. In my first offseason, I took over a terrible Miami team, drafted a stud WR and TE, shored up the defense with a third round linebacker and signed an undrafted DL with huge potential. My QB has a noodle arm and that hurts, but my new RB is seven yards and a cloud of dust.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,236

Post#1386 » by Matches Malone » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:44 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Defector has an article up about the mobile football game Retro Bowl. I've probably spent twenty minutes gaming on my phone over the last two years, but this one is awesome. I'm gonna lose so many hours at work. In my first offseason, I took over a terrible Miami team, drafted a stud WR and TE, shored up the defense with a third round linebacker and signed an undrafted DL with huge potential. My QB has a noodle arm and that hurts, but my new RB is seven yards and a cloud of dust.

This looks awesome. Downloading now!
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#1387 » by humanrefutation » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:43 pm

RubberSoul wrote:

I ended up getting 65” Sony X900H at Best Buy on sale for $960 because it has HDMI 2.1 and reviews were good for that price point. They are sold out now though.

If my TV budget was higher definitely would have gone with LG CX OLED can’t go wrong with those. Overall I’m really looking forward to next gen.

I've got an LG OLED CX that I picked up about five months ago. It's gorgeous. I would just caution that the potential for burn-in issues are higher with OLED screens - especially if you're watching the same content over and over again (think SportsCenter's bottom line or a TV logo in the corner). I haven't noticed it yet, but it could happen in a few years. My dad has one he bought probably 5 years ago and there's clearly a show logo burned into the corner - though it doesn't really effect his TV viewing experience.

My favorite part of the LG TVs - in addition to their quality screen - is their Magic Remote and just nice, snappy software that runs all the streaming content.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,625

Post#1388 » by StickeeFingaz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:56 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
RubberSoul wrote:

I've got an LG OLED CX that I picked up about five months ago. It's gorgeous. I would just caution that the potential for burn-in issues are higher with OLED screens - especially if you're watching the same content over and over again (think SportsCenter's bottom line or a TV logo in the corner). I haven't noticed it yet, but it could happen in a few years. My dad has one he bought probably 5 years ago and there's clearly a show logo burned into the corner - though it doesn't really effect his TV viewing experience.

My favorite part of the LG TVs - in addition to their quality screen - is their Magic Remote and just nice, snappy software that runs all the streaming content.

Yea, burn-in would suck but I'm just going to try and be super careful.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,236

Post#1389 » by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:48 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Defector has an article up about the mobile football game Retro Bowl. I've probably spent twenty minutes gaming on my phone over the last two years, but this one is awesome. I'm gonna lose so many hours at work. In my first offseason, I took over a terrible Miami team, drafted a stud WR and TE, shored up the defense with a third round linebacker and signed an undrafted DL with huge potential. My QB has a noodle arm and that hurts, but my new RB is seven yards and a cloud of dust.

Update: I haven't stopped playing. :lol:
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,862

Post#1390 » by jschligs » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:11 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Me too, showed a coworker as well. I accidentally pick the Giants but I drafted some fast as hell rookies and I'm dominating now.

Different note: I played a lot of the Black Ops Cold War beta, fun game. Seems a lot like any other CoD. Nothing revolutionary so I'll get it on sale. What I'm really interested in was Warzone dropping their spooky Halloween terror mode tonight. **** looks insanely awesome,
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#1391 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:37 pm

jschligs wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Me too, showed a coworker as well. I accidentally pick the Giants but I drafted some fast as hell rookies and I'm dominating now.

Different note: I played a lot of the Black Ops Cold War beta, fun game. Seems a lot like any other CoD. Nothing revolutionary so I'll get it on sale. What I'm really interested in was Warzone dropping their spooky Halloween terror mode tonight. **** looks insanely awesome,

Speed and the arm strength to get it out to them definitely seem like the cheat code in this game. Generally I look at the play, and if one of my two burners are going deep then I launch it to them. If they're running slants, comebacks, or in/out routes I run it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,913

Post#1392 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:06 pm

Matches Malone wrote:

Here come more hours of my time I don't have.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#1393 » by Sauce Boss » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:00 pm

Im surprised no one has talked about blaseball. Maybe someone has and I missed it? Anyway, it’s sort of like weird fiction baseball that has games simulated every hour and a full season every week. Fans can affect things, weird stuff happens. Maybe a game is delayed by blood rain, a player dies and then is resurrected the next week, a pitcher has 87 fingers, etc... I feel like this has to appeal to someone on this board.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/09/29/918080830/blaseball-is-a-new-online-game-think-fantasy-baseball-but-weirder
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#1394 » by crkone » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:13 am

The new hotness in roguelite is Noita. It's a pixel based 2D game where you control a witch who can get a bunch of different wands and perks.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,590

Post#1395 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:15 am

crkone wrote:The new hotness in roguelite is Noita. It's a pixel based 2D game where you control a witch who can get a bunch of different wands and perks.

It is an astonishingly beautiful/artistic game but it's also **** maddening and I gave up.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#1396 » by machu46 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:14 pm

I’ve been playing the **** out of Super Mega Baseball 3. I wish I had bought this game sooner. Just such a good arcadey baseball game. Some shades of Backyard Baseball but the teams, players, and leagues are fully customizable and the franchise mode is surprisingly deep. I’ve finished an entire season in a week lol

trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#1397 » by crkone » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:24 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
crkone wrote:The new hotness in roguelite is Noita. It's a pixel based 2D game where you control a witch who can get a bunch of different wands and perks.

It is an astonishingly beautiful/artistic game but it's also **** maddening and I gave up.

Yeah I have issues with games that have blind falls. You can say they aren't truly blind if you are conservative about levitating but sometimes the drop is way too far.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,953

Post#1398 » by Siefer » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:56 pm

I'm at ~60 hours in Hades, and I haven't hit credits, but I think I'm close. Easily the game of the year so far.
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#1399 » by glenn » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:40 pm

I've slowed down on Hades after playing it nonstop for weeks, but it is definitely up there in terms of best game of the year for me.

I've completed runs with all the weapons, but the rail is far and away my favorite. I was struggling with it, then watched a speed run video where they used the aspect that gives you bonus damage when you hit yourself with your special. After that I was melting rooms in seconds.
:reporter:
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#1400 » by Sauce Boss » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:01 am

I’m trying to be done spending money on games for the year, but you all are making me really consider picking up Hades. Maybe I’ll wait for a slight discount during Steam Winter sale.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks