ImageImageImageImageImage

serge removes all raptors content on his social media, Serge responds page 3

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

libertyYYZ
Pro Prospect
And1: 754

Re: serge removes all raptors content on his social media 

Post#61 » by libertyYYZ » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:56 pm

SurgeIblocka wrote:Come on people there is a cap hold that would affect our ability to sign giannis. If you give Serge 30 Mil then his cap hold would be similar to Lowry’s of 42 Mil. So basically you beed to renounce Lowry and Ibaka to sogn Giannis and you can only sign Ibaka and Lowry to small deals then. So which player in their right mind would take a big one year deal from a team knowing they wont keep him after that. Serge is not taking a min contract in 2021 he can easily get 20 mil for 3 to 4 yrs. Thats 80 Mil, so your telling me hed give up 80 Mil to take 30 Mil. Face it, makes no sense to keep Serge if your wanting Giannis and he knows it too.

Its either Fred or Serge this summer we will have to make a decision.

Assets can always be traded. Contracts attached to talented players can always be moved which may introduce some wrinkles in the sequencing of free agent signings and trades. Unconstrain your thinking.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -- Michael Jordan
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,582

Re: serge removes all raptors content on his social media, Serge responds page 3 

Post#62 » by Zeno » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:04 pm

I just don’t see him not being back unless the Raptors don’t want him. He’s not taking an MLE deal. There are no good teams with capspace. So only one of two things can happen... a one year big money deal like 1 year 23 million from the Raptors or a sign and trade to get him a larger multi-year deal in a winning situation.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
NeoDragonKnight
Starter
And1: 2,570

Re: serge removes all raptors content on his social media, Serge responds page 3 

Post#63 » by NeoDragonKnight » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:29 pm

If he did leave for a bigger contract, wouldn't blame him, the Raptors players right now have a championship player label and will be sought after and honestly as fan, they deserve pay days with the Raptors or without for the effort they put out that year. Serge, despite his brain farts at times, is pretty much a perfect PF/C in todays league, though his body will slowly be giving out the next few years, I remember Danny Green was saying Serge was the slowest to make it out of the gym because of this aches. Regardless, I hope he does stay on with the Raps but the Raptors do need to start grooming new bigs for the future asap with Gasol gone, and an aging or possible gone Serge.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,547

Post#64 » by Psubs » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:41 pm

libertyYYZ wrote:
SurgeIblocka wrote:Come on people there is a cap hold that would affect our ability to sign giannis. If you give Serge 30 Mil then his cap hold would be similar to Lowry’s of 42 Mil. So basically you beed to renounce Lowry and Ibaka to sogn Giannis and you can only sign Ibaka and Lowry to small deals then. So which player in their right mind would take a big one year deal from a team knowing they wont keep him after that. Serge is not taking a min contract in 2021 he can easily get 20 mil for 3 to 4 yrs. Thats 80 Mil, so your telling me hed give up 80 Mil to take 30 Mil. Face it, makes no sense to keep Serge if your wanting Giannis and he knows it too.

Assets can always be traded. Contracts attached to talented players can always be moved which may introduce some wrinkles in the sequencing of free agent signings and trades. Unconstrain your thinking.

Ya, Chris Paul, John Wall and Westbrook are still tradable. Though to truely compete for a championship you need to only spend that type of money on true superstars.
6ixSideSniper
Head Coach
And1: 11,585

Post#65 » by 6ixSideSniper » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:09 am

NeoDragonKnight wrote:If he did leave for a bigger contract, wouldn't blame him, the Raptors players right now have a championship player label and will be sought after and honestly as fan, they deserve pay days with the Raptors or without for the effort they put out that year. Serge, despite his brain farts at times, is pretty much a perfect PF/C in todays league, though his body will slowly be giving out the next few years, I remember Danny Green was saying Serge was the slowest to make it out of the gym because of this aches. Regardless, I hope he does stay on with the Raps but the Raptors do need to start grooming new bigs for the future asap with Gasol gone, and an aging or possible gone Serge.

Yup, from the outside looking in, when you see Serge Ibaka, you see a 31 year old perfect C for the modern game that you know can contribute to winning a championship. If he wanted to chase his last big payday no one can blame him.
What about DeRozan dawg?!?!

2018-2019 NBA CHAMPIONS

Rest In Peace The_Hater
libertyYYZ
Pro Prospect

Post#66 » by libertyYYZ » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:58 pm

Psubs wrote:
libertyYYZ wrote:

Ya, Chris Paul, John Wall and Westbrook are still tradable. Though to truely compete for a championship you need to only spend that type of money on true superstars.

If only it was easy :D The magic in the best GMs is having that sense to get the superstar estimation right and the surrounding roster composition right. Of those three guys, only Paul has value. Wall and Westbrook have always had difficulty fitting in with their rosters.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -- Michael Jordan
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,254

Post#67 » by SurgeIblocka » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:59 pm

libertyYYZ wrote:

And do you think Serge wants to sign here to be traded before next free agency? Its simple math, if Raps sign Serge to a big one year contract, they will have to renounce his cap hold to get Giannis. Even after trading Norm or others , Serge’s cap hold will be too large if your giving him a 1 year 30 mil deal. So he will know we cant give him another long term big contract if him and everyone in the world knows Masai wants to sign Giannis or another star in 2021. Unless Serge is fine with a one year with Raps and knowing he wont be back after that, but I dont see him risking his probably last big contract to play for a team who doesn't want him long term.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,889

Post#68 » by fbalmeida » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:55 am

Serge's cap hold ceases to be a problem the moment he signs elsewhere, as a free agent in 2021. That's the point of having him on a whopper 1-year contract. An alternative would be him signing on for a smaller amount within the confines of the cap structure after Giannis is on board using cap space. We might be able to secure Ibaka, if he's still in shape, with bird rights if they apply, or re-signing within the 125% threshold.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach

Post#69 » by SurgeIblocka » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:24 am

fbalmeida wrote:Serge's cap hold ceases to be a problem the moment he signs elsewhere, as a free agent in 2021. That's the point of having him on a whopper 1-year contract. An alternative would be him signing on for a smaller amount within the confines of the cap structure after Giannis is on board using cap space. We might be able to secure Ibaka, if he's still in shape, with bird rights if they apply, or re-signing within the 125% threshold.

Once you renounce his cap hold you have no bird rights, so Ibaka would need to be signed with whatever cap space is left after signing Giannis which would not be enough. OG will be signed after to go into tax because his cap hold is small. Once you renounce a cap hold you have no bird rights on Serge so u would only be able to give him a min deal.

So tell me why would Ibaka want that in his prime when he can get 20 Mil + right for 4 years on the open market!

And once he signs somewhere else your saying? So with the above info available, u dont think Serge knows its only a 1 year deal with Raps cause they cant give him a decent contract after. Your telling me Ibaka takes a risk for a year to help out Raps who have no long term plans for him? Yeah right that is not happening. What if he gets injured during the year, and it affects his contract with the new team. So he gave up 80 Mil for 30 Mil just so Raps can sign Giannis and then dump his. Serge is not a Gasol who is retiring, he is in his prime and is in demand.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#70 » by casual_raps_fan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:33 am

SurgeIblocka wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:Serge's cap hold ceases to be a problem the moment he signs elsewhere, as a free agent in 2021. That's the point of having him on a whopper 1-year contract. An alternative would be him signing on for a smaller amount within the confines of the cap structure after Giannis is on board using cap space. We might be able to secure Ibaka, if he's still in shape, with bird rights if they apply, or re-signing within the 125% threshold.

Once you renounce his cap hold you have no bird rights, so Ibaka would need to be signed with whatever cap space is left after signing Giannis which would not be enough. OG will be signed after to go into tax because his cap hold is small. Once you renounce a cap hold you have no bird rights on Serge so u would only be able to give him a min deal.

So tell me why would Ibaka want that in his prime when he can get 20 Mil + right for 4 years on the open market!

And once he signs somewhere else your saying? So with the above info available, u dont think Serge knows its only a 1 year deal with Raps cause they cant give him a decent contract after. Your telling me Ibaka takes a risk for a year to help out Raps who have no long term plans for him? Yeah right that is not happening. What if he gets injured during the year, and it affects his contract with the new team. So he gave up 80 Mil for 30 Mil just so Raps can sign Giannis and then dump his. Serge is not a Gasol who is retiring, he is in his prime and is in demand.

Which teams are offering Ibaka 4 years 80M on the open market this year? His options look limited.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,001

Post#71 » by Chandan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:59 am

sycammer wrote:the raptors have to get younger, get better in the halfcourt offence, Ibaka - loved his time as a raptor, very productive...marc Gasol & Ibaka didn't provide us anything in the playoffs, heck our frontcourt - Gasol, Ibaka, Siakim - didn't perform at all & we pushed the Celtics to 7 games...the more im analysing the concluded playoffs, the coaching staff did a great job.

lol serge is only 30. I suggest you take a look at his stats in the playoffs if you think he didn't provide anything. He had the best playoff run this year in his career.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,889

Post#72 » by fbalmeida » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:30 am

SurgeIblocka wrote:

I didn't close the logical circuit there: of course we wouldn't be able to sign Ibaka on bird rights after signing Giannis precisely because Ibaka's considerable cap hold would preclude having a max slot to begin with. Our only hope would be to have him somehow agree to signing on for a long-term 8-10 M per year deal in the summer of 2021, before signing Giannis. 8-10 M is likely going to be the extent of cap space we'll have, if any, beyond Giannis' max slot.

I agree that it's unlikely. I can see Ibaka taking a whopper one-year deal right now for one last lap as a Raptor.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#73 » by God Squad » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:44 am

I love Ibaka. I hope he stays and gives us some sort of discount. IMO other than Kyle probably the most likable on our team. Just the way he connects with the fans and always showing love to the city. From funny quarantine work out videos, youtube "Avec Classe" and obvious "How Hungry Are You". Just crazy underrated how he was able to make his mark here with the fans.
libertyYYZ
Pro Prospect

Post#74 » by libertyYYZ » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:54 pm

SurgeIblocka wrote:
libertyYYZ wrote:

And do you think Serge wants to sign here to be traded before next free agency? Its simple math, if Raps sign Serge to a big one year contract, they will have to renounce his cap hold to get Giannis. Even after trading Norm or others , Serge’s cap hold will be too large if your giving him a 1 year 30 mil deal. So he will know we cant give him another long term big contract if him and everyone in the world knows Masai wants to sign Giannis or another star in 2021. Unless Serge is fine with a one year with Raps and knowing he wont be back after that, but I dont see him risking his probably last big contract to play for a team who doesn't want him long term.

Or you can sign Serge to a multi-year deal. In 2021 free agency, move him. Options could include a sign-and-trade with the Bucks or as part of a multi-team deal so that the Bucks get who they want. Or he could be moved for picks or promising players to create a trade exception to be used later on incoming salary. Serge gets his last multi-year contract and plays out with another team in 2021 and beyond. The risk is that Serge's value drops and he's difficult or impossible to move. I'm sure there are lots of other options...

Masai has used trade exceptions in the past to unload Joseph and Carroll.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/02/hoops-rumors-glossary-traded-player-exception.html
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,405

Post#75 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:27 pm

This thread is a cancer. thanks op.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Smithers
Pro Prospect
And1: 180

Post#76 » by Smithers » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:53 pm

Serge is most likely going to Lakers or Clippers to try to win a title. Letting him go is the right move by Toronto if they're looking to free up cap space for Giannis.
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach

Post#77 » by SurgeIblocka » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:17 am

libertyYYZ wrote:
SurgeIblocka wrote:
libertyYYZ wrote:

Or you can sign Serge to a multi-year deal. In 2021 free agency, move him. Options could include a sign-and-trade with the Bucks or as part of a multi-team deal so that the Bucks get who they want. Or he could be moved for picks or promising players to create a trade exception to be used later on incoming salary. Serge gets his last multi-year contract and plays out with another team in 2021 and beyond. The risk is that Serge's value drops and he's difficult or impossible to move. I'm sure there are lots of other options...

Masai has used trade exceptions in the past to unload Joseph and Carroll.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/02/hoops-rumors-glossary-traded-player-exception.html

No way Masai signs him to a multi year deal in hopes of trading him because of Giannis. Too much risk involved if Masai’s heart is set on Giannis, which we all know it is. In all likelihood Serge leaves this summer
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#78 » by ciueli » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:10 pm

casual_raps_fan wrote:Which teams are offering Ibaka 4 years 80M on the open market this year? His options look limited.

His options are very limited. The only teams with real cap space this offseason (and this is assuming there isn't a massive cap decline due to decreased revenues)

Atlanta Hawks - they already have their big men in John Collins and Clint Capela, zero chance they go after Ibaka.

Charlotte Hornets - They could use a guy like Serge but I'm skeptical Jordan will throw big money at him, he's cheap with his team will likely be even more frugal in the COVID era. Look for the Hornets make no major signings just to keep costs as low as possible.

Detroit Pistons - Everything we've heard is that they're more interested in Fred VanVleet, they are desperate for a good lead guard. They need help at a lot of positions, but point guard is their priority and that is where they will likely spend their money one way or another.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#79 » by casual_raps_fan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:30 am

ciueli wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:Which teams are offering Ibaka 4 years 80M on the open market this year? His options look limited.

His options are very limited. The only teams with real cap space this offseason (and this is assuming there isn't a massive cap decline due to decreased revenues)

Atlanta Hawks - they already have their big men in John Collins and Clint Capela, zero chance they go after Ibaka.

Charlotte Hornets - They could use a guy like Serge but I'm skeptical Jordan will throw big money at him, he's cheap with his team will likely be even more frugal in the COVID era. Look for the Hornets make no major signings just to keep costs as low as possible.

Detroit Pistons - Everything we've heard is that they're more interested in Fred VanVleet, they are desperate for a good lead guard. They need help at a lot of positions, but point guard is their priority and that is where they will likely spend their money one way or another.

Yeah. This is what I'm thinking as well.

When you add in the fact that many owners are probably going to be looking to cut costs due to the current economic conditions, it looks like he is limited to the MLE in the open market. Unless there is a team that is interested in a S&T, Ibaka is probably better off taking a 20M 1 year deal rather than an MLE deal.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259956/NBA-Offseason-Could-Have-Fewer-Dollars-Spent-But-Sizable-Amount-Of-Player-Movement
A third agent believes centers will find very limited offers and that some teams will be more inclined to sign rookies or minimum contract veterans.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,311

Post#80 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:33 am

casual_raps_fan wrote:
ciueli wrote:

Yeah. This is what I'm thinking as well.

When you add in the fact that many owners are probably going to be looking to cut costs due to the current economic conditions, it looks like he is limited to the MLE in the open market. Unless there is a team that is interested in a S&T, Ibaka is probably better off taking a 20M 1 year deal rather than an MLE deal.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259956/NBA-Offseason-Could-Have-Fewer-Dollars-Spent-But-Sizable-Amount-Of-Player-Movement
A third agent believes centers will find very limited offers and that some teams will be more inclined to sign rookies or minimum contract veterans.

I would love to maybe take advantage of this and lock up Ibaka to something like a 3 year/45-50 mill contract with a player option for the 3rd year. It will still be more than the MLE but not too much where it kills us. He will still be movable if needed.

Return to Toronto Raptors