ImageImageImage

Which Wolves Guard gets the boot?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,261

Re: Which Wolves Guard gets the boot? 

Post#21 » by Baseline81 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:20 am

old school 34 wrote:This is something I've probably thought about more than what's healthy...

Again...this only starts to get urgent if say they go Ball/Edwards @ top & if they feel either is BPA...by all means take them.

But then...you have Beasley, Edwards (for example), Okogie, Culver, & Nowell where their ideal position is the 2. Can some play other spots yep....but you also have maybe 10 minutes a night that you want DLo there as well?

Don't have to rush that decision, but as guys lose minutes and sort itself out....those same guys lose trade value? And if it's ever going to work long teem & say Beasley & Edwards ends up being on top of that pecking order...then one needs to figure it out defensively.

I would move either one that could say combined with 17 and move me up for Vassell....roll the dice big on Edwards & get the safer Vassell. Could still make the argument that Vassell still leaves you with same logjam? But I like him best of the 3 & think he has the best chance of the 3 to give me the best minutes sliding to the 3 for stretches.

Last thing....one of the best guys @ guarding big wings...Aaron Gordon, I believe has significant success @ doing that? Also, hoping maybe Vanderbilt might be able to be in that mix @ some point?

The underline is quite interesting, though I'm not sure what either has for trade value. Both are poor shooters. As a rookie, Culver put up .299 3P% and .462 FT% while Okogie shot .266%, .796 FT% in his second season.
Midw35t
Senior
And1: 564

Post#22 » by Midw35t » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:12 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
old school 34 wrote:This is something I've probably thought about more than what's healthy...

Again...this only starts to get urgent if say they go Ball/Edwards @ top & if they feel either is BPA...by all means take them.

But then...you have Beasley, Edwards (for example), Okogie, Culver, & Nowell where their ideal position is the 2. Can some play other spots yep....but you also have maybe 10 minutes a night that you want DLo there as well?

Don't have to rush that decision, but as guys lose minutes and sort itself out....those same guys lose trade value? And if it's ever going to work long teem & say Beasley & Edwards ends up being on top of that pecking order...then one needs to figure it out defensively.

I would move either one that could say combined with 17 and move me up for Vassell....roll the dice big on Edwards & get the safer Vassell. Could still make the argument that Vassell still leaves you with same logjam? But I like him best of the 3 & think he has the best chance of the 3 to give me the best minutes sliding to the 3 for stretches.

Last thing....one of the best guys @ guarding big wings...Aaron Gordon, I believe has significant success @ doing that? Also, hoping maybe Vanderbilt might be able to be in that mix @ some point?

The underline is quite interesting, though I'm not sure what either has for trade value. Both are poor shooters. As a rookie, Culver put up .299 3P% and .462 FT% while Okogie shot .266%, .796 FT% in his second season.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2020/10/16/21520297/what-to-make-of-lottery-hopeful-devin-vassells-new-shooting-form

What the hell did he do that for?
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#23 » by Dewey » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:29 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

Culvers 30% is so-so but what really gets me is that both Culver and Okogie typically shoot WIDE OPEN 3's ... they rarely - if ever - shoot a contested 3-pointer. Until they can hit the OPEN 3-pointer, they will struggle to ever increase FG% inside the arc either because thats where the defense will sit back for them. Both appear to be awesome teammates and are accountable defensivley, but as a wing, ya gotta hit your open shots if you wanna be in the NBA.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,261

Post#24 » by Baseline81 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:05 pm

Midw35t wrote:https://www.poundingtherock.com/2020/10/16/21520297/what-to-make-of-lottery-hopeful-devin-vassells-new-shooting-form

For me, I was speaking more to combining the Brooklyn pick with Culver or Okogie. The poster I replied to used Vassell. It could be another prospect Rosas targets. The point is Culver and Okogie bring similar qualities -- defense, poor shooting. Do we need both on the team?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,713

Post#25 » by minimus » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:33 pm

Dewey wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:

Culvers 30% is so-so but what really gets me is that both Culver and Okogie typically shoot WIDE OPEN 3's ... they rarely - if ever - shoot a contested 3-pointer. Until they can hit the OPEN 3-pointer, they will struggle to ever increase FG% inside the arc either because thats where the defense will sit back for them. Both appear to be awesome teammates and are accountable defensivley, but as a wing, ya gotta hit your open shots if you wanna be in the NBA.

Yes, Okogie usually shoots wide open 3s. However, Culver shoots many pull-up 3s.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,713

Post#26 » by minimus » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:35 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Midw35t wrote:https://www.poundingtherock.com/2020/10/16/21520297/what-to-make-of-lottery-hopeful-devin-vassells-new-shooting-form

For me, I was speaking more to combining the Brooklyn pick with Culver or Okogie. The poster I replied to used Vassell. It could be another prospect Rosas targets. The point is Culver and Okogie bring similar qualities -- defense, poor shooting. Do we need both on the team?

As long as we can afford it financially we should keep young and developing players with potential. Personally, I don't see current Vassell as a big improvement over Okogie/Culver
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#27 » by Jedzz » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:48 pm

minimus wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:

As long as we can afford it financially we should keep young and developing players with potential. Personally, I don't see current Vassell as a big improvement over Okogie/Culver

:lol: He could replace them both and consolidate the roster by one spot. Since neither have been able to show a consistent shot nor really lock anyone down on defense. Okogie we know plays hard and can lock down individuals occasionally. But he's not stopping anyone good from scoring 20,30, even 40. We've seen it.

"Current" Vassell :lol: as you've said is so funny.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves