ImageImageImage

Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 2

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Re: Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 2 

Post#1401 » by JD45 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:04 pm

I need to find out more about this Max Zaslofsky guy.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
den1993
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#1402 » by den1993 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:10 am

big big fan of doncic, was able to pick him 14th in yahoo fantasy this year. hope he averages 30/9/9 next season

also hope dallas can get a decent guy in C Position
go mavs! :)
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,904

Post#1403 » by Oscar9992 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#1404 » by dirkforpres » Fri Oct 2, 2020 3:19 pm

Oscar9992 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He’s going to be MVP next year guaranteed. It’s crazy how good he is and still nowhere near his ceiling. That work ethic he has is going to make him a GOAT
FIRE JASON KIDD
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,764

Post#1405 » by Archx » Fri Oct 2, 2020 3:25 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Oscar9992 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He’s going to be MVP next year guaranteed. It’s crazy how good he is and still nowhere near his ceiling. That work ethic he has is going to make him a GOAT

Unfortunatelly i think this is fake news. He might go to the gym to play some easy basketball, but i don't think he is going full force like this account suggested. He usually takes long time off after arriving back home.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#1406 » by leolozon » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:17 pm

Archx wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Oscar9992 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Unfortunatelly i think this is fake news. He might go to the gym to play some easy basketball, but i don't think he is going full force like this account suggested. He usually takes long time off after arriving back home.

Well... indeed he looks like he took some weight. He probably didn't train a lot since the elimination. I must admit that I'm a little worried about him taking weight during the off season.

Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,764

Post#1407 » by Archx » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:35 pm

leolozon wrote:
Archx wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Well... indeed he looks like he took some weight. He probably didn't train a lot since the elimination. I must admit that I'm a little worried about him taking weight during the off season.

I have a feeling Mavs know that the next season won't start this year. He'll have months to prepare anyway. Judging from her insta video they are back home anyway.
Oscar9992
Analyst

Post#1408 » by Oscar9992 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:11 am

Luka is MVP favourite according to the most bookmakers

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
leolozon
General Manager

Post#1409 » by leolozon » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:21 pm

Does anyone else look at a old threads once in a while to have a laugh about some of the things said about Doncic? You find some real gems. It's a shame it's not considered okay to bump them. I don't even see what's the harm, it's just fun.

Here's an incredible one I just looked, so many funny takes about if, "in hindsight", the Knicks would trade #9 (Knox) and #36 (Robinson) for Doncic back in the summer of 2018. "Hindsight" before Doncic ever played a game in the NBA?

"we already have a donic on our roster his name his super mario somebody who will be a lot better then donic."

"Before the draft I would've, but I would've picked Bamba over Doncic. Now that we have Mitchell, hell to the no no."

"I don't think donic will have a better career then Gallo ."

"I was never really high on donic to begin with...so no and hell no now...not too many players I would trade Knox and money mitch for today..."

"sometimes you just know on the first look...Donic doesnt strike me as that guy-... hes definitely not a Wolf..."

"I hang up the phone on all trade offers for Knox and Mitch short of the Warriors starting lineup"

"I’m not sure I would trade Money Mitch for Doncic straight up, let alone both of these man beasts."

"Is a bird in each hand (2) worth one in the bush?"

"Knox will be better than doncic. When you add mitchell to it its not even a discussion."

"I don't mind because Donic will join the Knicks and KP when his first contract is up"

"The shipped sailed on "generational talent" a while ago; three teams don't pass on a guy who's supposed to be a generational talent. It's clear the NBA isn't buying into his hype. "

"The Knicks are far ahead of the Mavericks because Porzingis at age 23 is better than any player on their entire roster and it's not close. They'd have traded their pick and DSJ for him in a **** second."

"Nope. Doncic will be a Knick when he gets the first opportunity."

"No. Wouldn't trade 9 + 36 for Doncic prior to our selections and not after either. Stop slurpin him"

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1731170&p=67833815&hilit=Doncic#p67833815
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,593

Post#1410 » by Dirk » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:56 pm

leolozon wrote:Does anyone else look at a old threads once in a while to have a laugh about some of the things said about Doncic? You find some real gems. It's a shame it's not considered okay to bump them. I don't even see what's the harm, it's just fun.

Here's an incredible one I just looked, so many funny takes about if, "in hindsight", the Knicks would trade #9 (Knox) and #36 (Robinson) for Doncic back in the summer of 2018. "Hindsight" before Doncic ever played a game in the NBA?

"we already have a donic on our roster his name his super mario somebody who will be a lot better then donic."

"Before the draft I would've, but I would've picked Bamba over Doncic. Now that we have Mitchell, hell to the no no."

"I don't think donic will have a better career then Gallo ."

"I was never really high on donic to begin with...so no and hell no now...not too many players I would trade Knox and money mitch for today..."

"sometimes you just know on the first look...Donic doesnt strike me as that guy-... hes definitely not a Wolf..."

"I hang up the phone on all trade offers for Knox and Mitch short of the Warriors starting lineup"

"I’m not sure I would trade Money Mitch for Doncic straight up, let alone both of these man beasts."

"Is a bird in each hand (2) worth one in the bush?"

"Knox will be better than doncic. When you add mitchell to it its not even a discussion."

"I don't mind because Donic will join the Knicks and KP when his first contract is up"

"The shipped sailed on "generational talent" a while ago; three teams don't pass on a guy who's supposed to be a generational talent. It's clear the NBA isn't buying into his hype. "

"The Knicks are far ahead of the Mavericks because Porzingis at age 23 is better than any player on their entire roster and it's not close. They'd have traded their pick and DSJ for him in a **** second."

"Nope. Doncic will be a Knick when he gets the first opportunity."

"No. Wouldn't trade 9 + 36 for Doncic prior to our selections and not after either. Stop slurpin him"

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1731170&p=67833815&hilit=Doncic#p67833815

In fairness, just off General Board topics, even European fans, didn't really project him to have nowhere near the numbers he ended up having.

With that said, there have always been very wild takes, even after Doncic already showed what he could do in the NBA. He took a big leap from year 1 to year 2, so even back in the Summer of 2019, you still could see a ton of bad posts about him.

An old topic that was amusing,
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1708811&start=320

The best one
hes already peaked he will be a turkuglu type player

The runner up
He looks really bad. Teams 1-6 should pass on him. We'll take a flyer at 7

Honoroble mention
Way too overhyped. A decent player with a low ceiling. Ingles/Batum maybe Ginobili.

Before you jump on me with the "but he is so good for his age" crap, let me tell you why I think he is just a type of a player who matures early but also hits the ceiling early.

He doesn't have even the basis of at least one go-to move which is needed in order to be really great. And unless at least one entirely new (go-to) move pops up during Doncic's carrier and becomes polished quickly, he will be a little improved but still a limited player which he is today. There are simply no existing elements in his game which indicate that he will ever be able to really create his own shot.

Not every great player or allstar was good as Doncic in those young years, but you could still see that the elements in their games are there, they just needed work. For example, Dirk sucked as young but he got all the elements already - he just worked on them during following years and the rest is history. Doncic doesn't have any elements, either he will have to add them and quickly polish them, or he will just be a role player. He even couldn't manage to create his own shot against a center who switched on him (in the final game of the f4), after a crappy attempt to do something he just thrown the ball like an amateur.

Discuss and feel free to bump this thread if anyone will still care about Doncic after not justifying the hype :beer:

xx wrote:He had some sick plays in an ACB semifinal that Vlade and Vivek attended. No way he slides past them.

:lol:

The forum had this settled
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1880508

There was a good one Embiid/Simmons vs Doncic/KP. That was also fun to read, as Embiid was perceived to have the most value, but it quickly eroded through the season and particularly in the playoffs.
60/21/10
leolozon
General Manager

Post#1411 » by leolozon » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:21 pm

Dirk wrote:
In fairness, just off General Board topics, even European fans, didn't really project him to have nowhere near the numbers he ended up having.

With that said, there have always been very wild takes, even after Doncic already showed what he could do in the NBA. He took a big leap from year 1 to year 2, so even back in the Summer of 2019, you still could see a ton of bad posts about him.

An old topic that was amusing,
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1708811&start=320

The best one
hes already peaked he will be a turkuglu type player

The runner up
He looks really bad. Teams 1-6 should pass on him. We'll take a flyer at 7

Honoroble mention
Way too overhyped. A decent player with a low ceiling. Ingles/Batum maybe Ginobili.

Before you jump on me with the "but he is so good for his age" crap, let me tell you why I think he is just a type of a player who matures early but also hits the ceiling early.

He doesn't have even the basis of at least one go-to move which is needed in order to be really great. And unless at least one entirely new (go-to) move pops up during Doncic's carrier and becomes polished quickly, he will be a little improved but still a limited player which he is today. There are simply no existing elements in his game which indicate that he will ever be able to really create his own shot.

Not every great player or allstar was good as Doncic in those young years, but you could still see that the elements in their games are there, they just needed work. For example, Dirk sucked as young but he got all the elements already - he just worked on them during following years and the rest is history. Doncic doesn't have any elements, either he will have to add them and quickly polish them, or he will just be a role player. He even couldn't manage to create his own shot against a center who switched on him (in the final game of the f4), after a crappy attempt to do something he just thrown the ball like an amateur.

Discuss and feel free to bump this thread if anyone will still care about Doncic after not justifying the hype :beer:

xx wrote:He had some sick plays in an ACB semifinal that Vlade and Vivek attended. No way he slides past them.

:lol:

The forum had this settled
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1880508

There was a good one Embiid/Simmons vs Doncic/KP. That was also fun to read, as Embiid was perceived to have the most value, but it quickly eroded through the season and particularly in the playoffs.

I think it's one thing to make a mistake when projecting someone and another to have a completely unreasonable opinion. No one expected him to be for sure 1st team All-NBA at his peak let alone in his 2nd year, but when in July 2018 you say things like : ""Knox will be better than doncic. When you add mitchell to it its not even a discussion." You should be laughed at, because of the certainty in your tone. There isn't one shred of doubt even though Doncic had yet to play 1 NBA game and Knox had only played summer league. What makes me laugh the most is the certainty that some people have when they make predictions. Not even a "I think" or a "Most likely".

When I projected Luka's 2nd season, I was off, I think I said "probably 25/8/8 on .560 TS%", but I didn't say it as if it was a certainty. I looked at the end of last year, gave him a little boost in stats and made what I thought was the most likely assumption.

How is it the most likely assumption to think that a 20yo has peaked? And be SO sure of it, like it's a fact.

Even things like "They'd have traded their pick (3rd pick) and DSJ for him (KP) in a **** second." It's a complete lie. The Mavs were so high on Doncic, they weren't trading Doncic and DSJ for KP, there's no way. I think these type of predictions, with no place for any doubt, are incredibly annoying.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,896

Post#1412 » by HMFFL » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:38 am

Luka Doncic to receive his own Air Jordan 35 Special Edition

The star of the sophomore sensation keeps rising

Per DJ Folk, the shoe should debut in May of 2021 and will be simply called “Luka”.

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/platform/amp/2020/10/25/21532499/luka-doncic-brand-jordan-michael-jordan-air-jordan-35-special-edition

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Oscar9992
Analyst

Post#1413 » by Oscar9992 » Wed Nov 4, 2020 7:20 pm

Fake or real? All White Mavericks jersey for 2021 season. People say it's ugly, but Luka must be happy now :lol:

Read on Twitter

wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Post#1414 » by wolfram » Fri Nov 6, 2020 8:37 am

Any info on wonderboy and his workout?

Return to Dallas Mavericks