Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#281 » by VCfor3 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 12:49 am

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Oubre is a good player. I'd be surprised if PHX is trying purely to get rid of him, especially if they are trying to attach assets to make it happen. I guess the one kind of exception is if they have FVV coming but have to clear space and have no other option.

Suns went on their best run of the season with Oubre out. He's expiring & facing a considerable commitment. If Suns have no intent on giving him money moving forward or think they'll lose him to free agency & have a preference to resign Baynes who IMO was more integral to their success than him, then they have a need to shed his salary. That's not even including who they might want to target as a free agent as part of their rumored interest (FVV ?).

What did GS give up for that same 17m trade exception because they had a need to shed salary for Russel?. Iggy, who was more integral to their success over the years than Oubre is & will be to the Suns along with arguably the value of a much better pick in 2024. Though on the wrong side of his career, Iggy also still had player value in trade where several contenders if they had the financial means would have targeted him in a subsequent trade.

Value is not static, its related to want, need & perception. What you value highly, someone else might not. A struggling team financially, will give up player value, purely to save money. That was the idea behind OKC moving CP3 in this Covid economy where they in the past dumped Harden in order to resign Ibaka to avoid the expense of keeping both.

It's basically what the Suns did last year giving up Warren for basically nothing, Josh + to obtain Rubio in free agency.

I still don't see PHX dumping him without a good reason (aka needing the cap for someone who has already told their FO he'd come). Sure they could be willing to move him for assets if a decent deal comes along, but really they need something to come along that they feel is a better use of their cap space than Oubre for them to dump him and I don't know if that will happen. It isn't a great FA class and they can still try to retain Baynes while keeping Oubre.

So again, I only see him being dumped if they are forced to clear space for a FA they feel is worth the hassle. FVV would very likely be that if he picks PHX, but I don't know who else in this FA class would both pick PHX and be worth paying to dump Oubre for.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#282 » by VCfor3 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:58 am

MEM in: Embiid
PHI in: Dieng, Brooks, Clarke, UTA 1st, GSW 1st, future MEM 1st

PHI then uses that package to go after Harden.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#283 » by SD2042 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:21 am

VCfor3 wrote:MEM in: Embiid

It's almost a lot to give up for Embiid given his injury history. Could Philly at least kick in a late first or early 2nd for taking on Embiid?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#284 » by VCfor3 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:23 pm

SD2042 wrote:

It's almost a lot to give up for Embiid given his injury history. Could Philly at least kick in a late first or early 2nd for taking on Embiid?

Honestly that is probably a low offer anyway so I doubt they kick in a late first even with the extensive injury history.

Ja/Tyus
Melton?/Allen
Winslow/?
JJJ/Anderson
Embiid/JV

That would be a heck of a roster moving forward if you ever get them healthy ha
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,147

Post#285 » by TB » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:53 pm

question from warriors fan:

What would it take to Get JV into the Warriors TPE? Any scenario Memphis just needs/wants to dump that salary? What assets would need to be attached? 2021 GSW 1st? 2021 Minny 2nd?

Also, in trying to find this answer, i read through some pages in here... can y'all please stop trying to send us Al Horford or Kevin Love to the Warriors in trade scenario lol :)
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#286 » by VCfor3 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:47 am

TB wrote:question from warriors fan:

What would it take to Get JV into the Warriors TPE? Any scenario Memphis just needs/wants to dump that salary? What assets would need to be attached? 2021 GSW 1st? 2021 Minny 2nd?

Also, in trying to find this answer, i read through some pages in here... can y'all please stop trying to send us Al Horford or Kevin Love to the Warriors in trade scenario lol :)

We can not :lol:

As for JV it really depends on the FO and other possible moves. We really like JV and started to really unlock his offensive potential in the bubble (heck the guy got a triple double thanks to handoffs lol). I don't think we move him just to move him. That said if we needed to clear cap for another move or something then I always saw TPE+2021 GSW 1st as the likely move. The biggest question would be the protections on the pick. At minimum I expect it to be lottery protected with a chance you guys get like Top18-20 protections on it. It then either goes to 2nds or rolls over one year and then 2nds.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,147

Post#287 » by TB » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:55 pm

VCfor3 wrote:

As for JV it really depends on the FO and other possible moves. We really like JV and started to really unlock his offensive potential in the bubble (heck the guy got a triple double thanks to handoffs lol). I don't think we move him just to move him. That said if we needed to clear cap for another move or something then I always saw TPE+2021 GSW 1st as the likely move. The biggest question would be the protections on the pick. At minimum I expect it to be lottery protected with a chance you guys get like Top18-20 protections on it. It then either goes to 2nds or rolls over one year and then 2nds.

Thank you, this was exactly what I was wondering. If JJJ and Clarke continue on their trajectory, I'd assume starting them at the 4/5 in todays NBA makes more sense than the 3/4. I don't know enough about the defensive ability of Ja/Brooks/Clarke/JJJ but it sure seems like the grizz could make some noise by:

- Overpay Joe Harris
- Send JV to Warriors for the TPE and 2021 GSW pick (lotto protected) to clear some space for Harris and maybe additional depth players.

Go with Ja/Harris/Brooks/Clarke/JJJ. Feel like this could unlock Ja even more with all the space he'd have to operate.... like to all nba levels. Obviously rebounding a concern, but I think JJJ/Clarke can both be 7+ rebound guys.

For Warriors, JV ready to win now compared to going with Wiseman or a Chriss/Looney center tandem. They can then trade the #2 or take a wing like Edwards/Okoro. A healthy lineup of Steph/Klay/Wiggins/Dray/JV should put them back in contention.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#288 » by E S V L » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:59 pm

VCfor3 wrote:

I concur with your view: JV for TPE + 2021 GSW 1st looks like a deal to me.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#289 » by E S V L » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:03 pm

I am not a fan of Embid. Moreover, I don’t see him and Ja as a perfect match. Count me out.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#290 » by VCfor3 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:22 pm

E S V L wrote:

I am not a fan of Embid. Moreover, I don’t see him and Ja as a perfect match. Count me out.

You probably could flip Embiid for someone who fits better honestly.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#291 » by E S V L » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:52 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

I don’t believe Embid is switchable to a star wing, which we need.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#292 » by VCfor3 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:21 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

Maybe Boston would be willing to part with Brown+ for Embiid. Or NOP does Ingram+.

I wonder if OKC would have interest in Shai+ if they thought they could surround Embiid with enough talent.

Maybe Toronto builds a package around OG+

I also watched Embiid carry that pretty sorry looking Philly team in the playoffs. Add Ja and Jaren around him plus competent role players and we would be a tough team if we had that star wing stopper. I do agree with you though that if we are unloading a large chunk of our assets a wing would be the preferred target.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#293 » by E S V L » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:40 am

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:You probably could flip Embiid for someone who fits better honestly.

Maybe Boston would be willing to part with Brown+ for Embiid. Or NOP does Ingram+.

I wonder if OKC would have interest in Shai+ if they thought they could surround Embiid with enough talent.

I also watched Embiid carry that pretty sorry looking Philly team in the playoffs. Add Ja and Jaren around him plus competent role players and we would be a tough team if we had that star wing stopper. I do agree with you though that if we are unloading a large chunk of our assets a wing would be the preferred target.

1. Clarke + 3 1sts for Brown?
2. Clarke + 3 1sts for ... Ingram???????
3. Clarke + 3 1sts for ... OG?????????????

Shai doesn’t match Ja, though I love him.

Embid is a great guy, don’t get me wrong, but JJJ will soon pass him as a player, so I don’t think Embid is this kind of missing golden piece necessary for this team to become a generational contender. Especially at this price.

So, let’s trade JV to GSW for their 1st 2021 and get a young wing or better even two. This would be a perfect path to take.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#294 » by Whole Truth » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:19 pm

On the GS board there was talk of the #2 pick for Vucevic. Granted some GSW fans didn't like the idea but I bring it up because Jonas is as good or better than Vucevic & here were talking about cap space & what is likely a late first.

Offensively - Jonas is more efficient than Vucevic, which is why he averages similar numbers on lower usage & in less minutes. On a team like the Warriors, unlike Vucevic. Jonas is more efficient than most the top big men in the league, he's on par with Embiid in rebounding in considerably less minutes & he doesn't require the high usage of these other top big men to be this effective offensively. Which would mean the ball is in Curry's hands more, with Jonas moping the glass/second chance points. Don't mention Curry curling off his elite screening ability. (Make no mistake, Jonas was a big part of Memphis unexpected success & trading him will likely mean a considerable step back)

Defensively - Both are slow of foot. Jonas however has a defensive reputation (career advanced stats) tied to playing his entire career with Derozan who's an extremely poor perimeter defender & against starters only in his 20mins with no opportunity to return in games he started out poorly on a contender. Whereas, Magic have a plethora of lengthy defenders 1-4 to compliment Vucevic defensively, while he was high usage offensively on a team that is barely a playoff team after several years ..

Just to hit home on my defensive point. Jonas first change of scenery.. he had his best season of his career across the board. Even rookie Ja Morant is a weak perimeter defender himself. Yet in Jonas first full season apart from Derozan, he just had his best defensive season to date playing with a poor, inexperienced rookie defender ... Meanwhile, Spurs 40+ win team without Kawhi & top ranked defense with Derozan fell off the cliff & just missed the playoffs for the first time since .. Memphis were predicted to finish last in the West but were holding a playoff spot until several key injuries in the bubble. Derozan was Allstar value under his offensive usage, while Jonas was the expiring filler in trade because of his defense & it's all because of how both were utilized & matched.

If Jonas had Derozan's usage & a better defensive compliment on the perimeter & Derozan was to be held accountable defensively, both their careers & reputations would be on a different trajectory.

Now we have a rumor of #2 for Vucevic apposed to cap space & a late GS pick for Jonas.

I'm not apposed to trading Jonas but I'd be looking at the TPE & the Minnesota 21 pick, not GS's
E S V L
Analyst

Post#295 » by E S V L » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:55 am

No sane GM would trade #2 for Vucevic. The same principle applies to JV for TPE + 1st Min 2021.

I would also argue that Vucevic is rather a star, while JV is not. Maybe it is just a people’s perception, but it is what it is.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#296 » by Whole Truth » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:42 pm

E S V L wrote:No sane GM would trade #2 for Vucevic. The same principle applies to JV for TPE + 1st Min 2021.

I would also argue that Vucevic is rather a star, while JV is not. Maybe it is just a people’s perception, but it is what it is.

I went back to check the origin of the rumor for Vucevic. It was Paul Peirce on the jump that suggested (Wiggins, #2) for (Vucevic) & yes GS fans were mostly not in favor of the idea. That said, I don't think a projected late first for Jonas s fair value either

Perception is reality & it differs from person to person. Replace Jonas with Vucevic from last years team, I'd put money they wouldn't have been as good.

Jonas - 14.9 pts / 11.3 trb / 1.9 ast on 60.6 eFG in 26mins (22.2 per) 7 win shares

120 Ortg / 107 Drtg

Vucevic - 19.6 pts / 10.9 trb / 3.6 ast on 52.5 eFG in 33mins (21 per) 6.4 win shares

114 Ortg / 107 Drtg

Vucevic + 7 FGA's & 7 additional minutes for (+5 pts / -.4 trb / +1.5 asts)

What makes Vucevic a star, Jonas not, when he's producing like him on better efficiency & in less minutes, It is, a false perception because of how their careers were handled.

This past season was the first time a team has missed the playoffs with Jonas starting from his rookie season & it was due to several key injuries in the bubble up 3 on the 9th spot.. How many winning seasons has Vucevic had?

As a matter of fact the duo of Derozan & Lowry missed the playoffs the year prior to Jonas rookie season & they haven't missed the playoffs since as a 40-50 win team & the reason Raptors couldn't hurdle the Cavs is because they were the one team that could exploit their front court. With Jonas nullified, Derozan was outplayed on both ends by Korver & JR Smith.

Gasol got a lot of credit for replacing Jonas on the Raptors championship run. Jonas never played in the playoffs with Kawhi & Gasol didn't run into a Love/Lebron front court to stretch him out. Magic couldn't shoot, Philly couldn't shoot, Raptors sagged off Giannis & GS took them to 7 with an unhealthy roster, missing 2 key players. It was a perfect storm ..

It's time for Jonas perception of value to change, He's worth more than a late first.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#297 » by VCfor3 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:23 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

1. Clarke + 3 1sts for Brown?
2. Clarke + 3 1sts for ... Ingram???????
3. Clarke + 3 1sts for ... OG?????????????

Shai doesn’t match Ja, though I love him.

Embid is a great guy, don’t get me wrong, but JJJ will soon pass him as a player, so I don’t think Embid is this kind of missing golden piece necessary for this team to become a generational contender. Especially at this price.

So, let’s trade JV to GSW for their 1st 2021 and get a young wing or better even two. This would be a perfect path to take.

Honestly I think Shai would be great next to Ja. He can create a bit and be a secondary playmaker, make shots, and take the harder defensive assignment.

As for the others, I put a "+" for a reason since additional value is needed but OG and Brown I'd love to have and would overpay to get them.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#298 » by VCfor3 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:24 pm

#2 for Vuc also includes Wiggins who most would agree is a sizable negative on his contract. Getting off him may hold as much value as actually acquiring Vuc.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#299 » by Whole Truth » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:15 pm

VCfor3 wrote:#2 for Vuc also includes Wiggins who most would agree is a sizable negative on his contract. Getting off him may hold as much value as actually acquiring Vuc.

Warriors view Wiggins as more than a neutral asset.

If his contract is in fact the value difference, then let Memphis take back Wiggins for the Minnesota 1st, instead of the TPE. Then GS can use the #2 on (Deni) to replace Wiggins, leaving the option to use the TPE or let it expire in this financial climate.

Memphis would have to take on salary anyway for the TPE to hold value attached to a late first. So might as well take on Wiggins for the Minnesota 21 pick to potentially consolidate up in a key draft year as apposed to potentially/projected, 30th pick.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#300 » by VCfor3 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:03 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:#2 for Vuc also includes Wiggins who most would agree is a sizable negative on his contract. Getting off him may hold as much value as actually acquiring Vuc.

Warriors view Wiggins as more than a neutral asset.

If his contract is in fact the value difference, then let Memphis take back Wiggins for the Minnesota 1st, instead of the TPE. Then GS can use the #2 on (Deni) to replace Wiggins, leaving the option to use the TPE or let it expire in this financial climate.

Memphis would have to take on salary anyway for the TPE to hold value attached to a late first. So might as well take on Wiggins for the Minnesota 21 pick to potentially consolidate up in a key draft year as apposed to potentially/projected, 30th pick.

Eating Wiggins while losing JV and say Anderson for #12 next draft feels like rough value. If I was going to go mad scientist on this I'd look at something like:

Step 1
MEM in: Wiggins, Looney, #2
GSW in: JV, Brooks (or Winslow), Allen, two 2nds
GSW takes JV into the TPE to create a new 18+m TPE with this trade that they can use later this season if the team looks ready to contend or hold off on till next offseason if they want to avoid the crazy high tax they'd pay on anyone they take in. Brooks/Winslow replaces Wiggins at starting SF. Allen is their SG off the bench. Memphis gets #2. GSW probably loses on value but this does more for their championship window than holding pat.

Step 2
MIN is likely going for Ball or Edwards but I think it is going to be Edwards. Charlotte is reported to really want Wiseman so I'd hit them up for a trade.

Option 1:
MEM in: #3, Batum
CHA in: #2, Wiggins, #40
Memphis straight salary dumps Wiggins. CHA gets their guy and takes a swing in a fairly solid looking 2nd round. They also may see some value in Wiggins

Option 2:
MEM in: #3, Bridges
CHA in: #2, Guduric
Memphis gets a SF prospect for dropping one spot.

Option 3:
MEM in: Hayward, 14, 26, 2021 BOS 1st, 2023 BOS 1st
BOS in: #2, Dieng, Anderson
Hayward is older but would fit great. I'd angle for a S&T instead and offer an amount that would allow us to keep Anderson and only move Dieng aka 21.5m starting and then increase for however many years we sign him for. We can target whoever we want with 14 or use 28 to move up if needed and then have two additional future 1sts for trades even though they are likely not great 1sts.

Step 3:
There are a lot of ways we can go here depending on who is left (I think Ball but maybe Edwards) and what we did in Step 2 (especially if we did Option 3).

Option 1:
MEM in: Bridges
PHX in: #3, Looney/filler
PHX wants a high end PG to put next to Booker. It is one of the reasons they are looking at FVV. This lets them get Ball who I feel like there was some random unsubstantiated report they had some level of interest in. I don't know if they'd part with Mikal though but it is worth a shot. He'd be a great fit at SF for us as a 3&D guy.

Option 2:
MEM in: Shai
OKC in: #3, Miles Bridges
Memphis gets their 3rd core member as long as Option 2 in Step 2 happened. OKC really doesn't want to move Shai but if they think Ball can be a star, Dort be the defensive SG to take the harder assignment, and Bridges maybe can develop into the starting SF then maybe they'd have some small amount of interest.

Option 3:
MEM in: 4, ?
CHI in: 3, filler if needed
Assuming we did Option 2 in Step 2. There were reports that Chicago wants to move up. If the guy they want is available at 3 then they may have interest in giving something up to go and get them. WCJ? Lauri? Three team deal with CHI getting Wiggins + 3 + PHI 1st, PHI gets OPJ, MEM gets 4 + 21 + Horford? Memphis saves money and gets 21 for dropping out of the "Elite 3" tier.

Option 4:
MEM in: 8, 2021 DAL 1st
NYK in: 3
NYK gets their star PG and Memphis gets a pick next draft to help them move up. We also get 8 who should have one of the guys we'd like to target for our team.

Option 5:
MEM in: 7, ?
DET in: 3
Detroit is heading for a rebuild and could use a star to build around. Maybe they think Ball can be that. I'm sure they'd do Luke Kennard+7 if we wanted. Would they do 7+Sekou? They eat Wiggins? Maybe a multi-team trade again would have some interest.

Option 6:
MEM in: 7, Green, Hood, Cook
MEM out: 3, Anderson, Wiggins

DET in: 3, Kuzma, 28, Wiggins, 16/23+2nd
DET out: Rose, Kennard, Snell

LAL in: Rose, Snell, Anderson
LAL out: Green, Kuzma, Cook, 28

and either POR does Hood+16 for Kennard or UTA does Davis+23+2nd for Kennard

Basically Detroit gets their guy and plus moves Kennard and Rose who they have been trying to shop. We drop spots to get off Wiggins and can very likely flip Green at some point for additional value kinda like Iggy/Crowder.

Option 7:
MEM in: 10, Oubre, 2nd
PHX in: 3, Dieng
Don't love this one but if we are fairly sure that our target is available at 10 instead of 3 then getting Oubre and a 2nd may be worth it.

Option 8:
MEM in: 10, 2021 PHX 1st Top 4 protected
PHX in: 3
We get a future pick for dropping down

Option 9:
MEM in: 18, DFS, Kleber, Wright
DAL in: 3, Wiggins
"Everyone but Luka and KP are on the table for a star" is a report. If whoever is available at 3 is a potential star then maybe Dallas would do this. It also keeps cap space open for them next year while Memphis gets two good role players we can flip in DFS and Kleber and a so so kinda overpaid Wright who had some good games for us previously. Kleber+DFS into the GSW TPE for swap rights on the MIN pick (or for the pick straight up? 2022 GSW pick unprotected and 2023 swap rights? different options available) feels possible if GSW are playing well and think they need a little more of a push to potentially win it all.

Option 10:
MEM in: 13, future 1st of our choice (2023 better of NOP/LAL 1st?)
NOP in: 3
We angle to get a good future 1st while still getting to target a decent player at 13 this draft.

Option 11:
MEM in: Hayward, 14, 26, 2021 BOS 1st
BOS in: Dieng, Anderson, 3
Maybe you can do a S&T with Hayward instead so that we have him locked up and Anderson doesn't have to be included. This hurts cap space next year though. Boston would probably be wanting Wiseman so this may feel like a long shot unless they are actually more interested in Ony and want to make sure they secure him.

Option 12:
MEM in: OG
TOR in: #3, Bridges, 2021 swap rights lottery protected
OG is my favorite target for Memphis just because he developing into one of the best lockdown defenders and while shooting 39% from deep this past season. He can hit everything Ja sets up for him while defending the opposing team's best player. I highly doubt Toronto parts with him so this is a long shot.

Option 13:
MEM in: 25, 2021 2nd most favorable 1st (OKC/HOU/MIA), 1st of our choice
OKC in: 3
Basically get a late pick in this draft and two future 1sts. Not a satisfying trade but would get us like #20 next year and a valuable future 1st for trying to move up in the draft next year. Maybe you can get a better pick than the 2021 1st I proposed. The players probably wouldn't be happy since we move two starters and an emerging Allen for Batum, a late 1st this draft and high end future capital that won't help this season.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies