ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj Bomb: Welcome D'Antoni & Udoka

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,762

Re: Woj Bomb: Welcome D'Antoni & Udoka 

Post#21 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:35 pm

Paradise wrote:Y’all are not excited enough for Udoka. He’s a perfect hire.

Udoka, who spent the 2019-20 season as the Philadelphia 76ers top assistant and the previous seven years under Gregg Popovich in San Antonio, brings that defensive philosophy the Nets are hoping for.

In his most recent stop with Philadelphia, Udoka was one of the league’s highest-paid assistants, serving as the defensive ‘coordinator’ for the team. After taking the job, he told local writers that while in San Antonio, his job was strategizing against “eight or nine [opposing] teams,” on both ends of the court, his Philly gig was purely defense.

He stressed that the 76ers play physical and make the opposing team feel uncomfortable on the defensive end. Udoka was constantly constructing and making defensive tweaks, especially in the 76ers frontcourt that was anchored by Joel Embiid. The 43-year-old assistant also helped develop Matisse Thybulle, the 76ers rookie known for his thoroughly annoying defense.

One thing Udoka focused on in Philly was how poorly the defense handled pick-and-rolls during the 2018-19 season. Specifically, in “big-small” pick-and-rolls, dropping the big man — having him essentially play “center field,” as Udoka said — became fundamental.

He told Philly beat writers back in September that he wanted “up to touch” coverage where the big man will get so close that he can reach out and touch the back of the screener. The idea behind this approach is to initially close down that gaping space in the middle of the floor, then have the big retreat into center field.

Outside of his defensive prowess, Udoka has been known as a communicator, the “good cop” to Gregg Popovich’s “bad cop.” But as Kyle Anderson put it, “If he gets on you he’ll get on you but he knows how to talk to us, knows how to handle players.”

Sounds like a defensive scheme that requires Jarrett Allen. :nod:
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#22 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:36 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I'm somewhat iffy on this. I want to see an offense that caters to the strengths of the roster in place, and not what we saw in Houston, I thought that the Rockets were god awful to watch. Nor do I want to see 7 seconds or less.

I want the ball in KD and Kyrie's hands, and I want floor spacing and driving lanes for our guards. Design a good offense around what we have and I'll be satisfied. Make good use out of our rim runner bigs.
I'm not sure why you would be iffy on this. We have one of the best coaches in the entire NBA as our assistant coach somehow. The Rockets' style was primarily a product of Morey's vision, and the only HC who could have had success with that was MDA. And I think he did the best that he could have.

That Rockets offense made my eyes bleed. I'll give MDA a clean slate here, as I do with everyone who comes through.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#23 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:40 pm

Paradise wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I think this is good singings and will work. As much as I dislike D'Antoni, he has a great offensive mind and just knows how to operate a offense. Udoka should have a lot of defensive knowledge passed down to him from Pop and he knows what it takes to win. I think this will work. Nash and D'Antoni has chemistry together. I just hope Nash don't listen to D'Antoni about making his player play 48 minutes a game and only 7 man rotations, that does not work.
A few incorrect things in there. D'Antoni never played Harden and Westbrook close to 48 MPG, hell Harden's minutes decreased after MDA's arrival in Houston. Both Harden and Russ averaged around 36 MPG last season, which is fairly normal for NBA superstars. Second, the short rotations were a product of Morey's roster construction. That roster had very little depth, especially as they went into playoffs, and they just didn't have enough talent on the bench for the most part.

I personally don’t see any coach outside of Pop, Doc or possibly Spo who would’ve gotten as much out of those Rockets teams as D’antoni.

They even got extremely better defensively with Elson Turner taking on the defensive coach job after Jeff Bezdeilk left.

Asking D’antoni to create schemes and create relationships with Kyrie, KD, Spencer and Caris is going to be the key to this working and I don’t see why they wouldn’t buy in.

We literally hired the guy who helped mold Kenny Atkinson into who he is today as a coach to groom Steve Nash. Nash pays it forward by hiring Amare into the same role Nash was given by Kerr in GS.

I don’t see why none of these guys would come in here with some agenda or inability to understand their roles when Nash is hiring guys who wouldn’t have been given much of an opportunity elsewhere to win a championship next season as all coaching jobs are dried up. Nobody is waiting to compete for the Thunder job.

D’antoni was in position to land the Sixers job until Doc was available, Udoka was on the Sixers staff looking for HC jobs until he lost his spot to Sam Cassell this week. Nash and Marks reached out to both and it makes sense.

Steve Kerr had Alvin Gentry, Ron Adams on his first coaching staff, Mark Jackson had Mike Malone and now Kerr has former HC Mike Brown on staff. He’s even gone ahead and added Barbosa to the player development coaching staff in GS.

How is that any different to what Nash is creating? Familiarity, Winning Pedigree, Championship Pedigree, etc

The agenda is simple: Win games and produce an elite two way ball club. The fact that Nash has been focused on defense first says it all to me. Now comes time for Marks to make the necessary tweaks to the roster.

ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#24 » by ProspectPark » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:44 pm

Prokorov wrote:KD in D'antoni's offense

I thought we were only going to hire puppets and ego managers tho?

Isn’t that what you kept telling us?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#25 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:53 pm

Paradise wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I think this is good singings and will work. As much as I dislike D'Antoni, he has a great offensive mind and just knows how to operate a offense. Udoka should have a lot of defensive knowledge passed down to him from Pop and he knows what it takes to win. I think this will work. Nash and D'Antoni has chemistry together. I just hope Nash don't listen to D'Antoni about making his player play 48 minutes a game and only 7 man rotations, that does not work.
A few incorrect things in there. D'Antoni never played Harden and Westbrook close to 48 MPG, hell Harden's minutes decreased after MDA's arrival in Houston. Both Harden and Russ averaged around 36 MPG last season, which is fairly normal for NBA superstars. Second, the short rotations were a product of Morey's roster construction. That roster had very little depth, especially as they went into playoffs, and they just didn't have enough talent on the bench for the most part.

I personally don’t see any coach outside of Pop, Doc or possibly Spo who would’ve gotten as much out of those Rockets teams as D’antoni.

They even got extremely better defensively with Elson Turner taking on the defensive coach job after Jeff Bezdeilk left.

Asking D’antoni to create schemes and create relationships with Kyrie, KD, Spencer and Caris is going to be the key to this working and I don’t see why they wouldn’t buy in.

We literally hired the guy who helped mold Kenny Atkinson into who he is today as a coach to groom Steve Nash. Nash pays it forward by hiring Amare into the same role Nash was given by Kerr in GS.

I don’t see why none of these guys would come in here with some agenda or inability to understand their roles when Nash is hiring guys who wouldn’t have been given much of an opportunity elsewhere to win a championship next season as all coaching jobs are dried up. Nobody is waiting to compete for the Thunder job.

D’antoni was in position to land the Sixers job until Doc was available, Udoka was on the Sixers staff looking for HC jobs until he lost his spot to Sam Cassell this week. Nash and Marks reached out to both and it makes sense.

Steve Kerr had Alvin Gentry, Ron Adams on his first coaching staff, Mark Jackson had Mike Malone and now Kerr has former HC Mike Brown on staff. He’s even gone ahead and added Barbosa to the player development coaching staff in GS.

How is that any different to what Nash is creating? Familiarity, Winning Pedigree, Championship Pedigree, etc

MDA already has a rapport with KD and Kyrie from Team USA if I'm mistaken.

TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,580

Post#26 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:14 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I'm somewhat iffy on this. I want to see an offense that caters to the strengths of the roster in place, and not what we saw in Houston, I thought that the Rockets were god awful to watch. Nor do I want to see 7 seconds or less.

I want the ball in KD and Kyrie's hands, and I want floor spacing and driving lanes for our guards. Design a good offense around what we have and I'll be satisfied. Make good use out of our rim runner bigs.

D’Antoni has an extensive list of teams he coached that didnt play like Houston did.

They played that radical style in Houston because it was the best way to maximize their roster. That’s a good thing because it shows that D’Antoni is willing to adapt to his roster even if it’s unconventional.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,235

Post#27 » by Papi_swav » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:40 am

DarkXaero wrote:

I disagree. You might be right about the averaging minutes but if you look into those box scores closely you would see Harden and more of those guys played about 40 minutes a game especially in the playoffs specifically is what I'm referring to. D'Antoni is known to have short rotations and plays his guys too long. Shawn Marion said this himself not too long ago. And that's been one of D'Antoni's problems from then and now. There is many articles out there about D'Antoni and his short rotations, just google D'Antoni and short rotations.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#28 » by Phish Tank » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:32 pm

I like these two hires for you. The only thing I thought of is that MDA should really be the associate head coach for Nash rather than Vaughn - who I think was just placed there because there wasn't a thought that MDA would leave early on in September. Therefore, I kinda find Vaughn redundant.

Also a bit skeptical of Amare's hire as I don't really see him helping anyone on a player development angle. But who knows. The one benefit is that you have a few coaches returning from the Kenny staff who do prioritize player development. That'll balance out the coaching staff that's full of a lot of big names, especially many who can gun for a head coaching spot.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#29 » by DarkXaero » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:05 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:

I'm not sure why you would be iffy on this. We have one of the best coaches in the entire NBA as our assistant coach somehow. The Rockets' style was primarily a product of Morey's vision, and the only HC who could have had success with that was MDA. And I think he did the best that he could have.

That Rockets offense made my eyes bleed. I'll give MDA a clean slate here, as I do with everyone who comes through.
Phoenix SSOL offense was the most exciting offense in the league at the time. MDA adjusts to his personnel and his coaching philosophy leads to exciting basketball more often than not.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#30 » by DarkXaero » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:08 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:

I disagree. You might be right about the averaging minutes but if you look into those box scores closely you would see Harden and more of those guys played about 40 minutes a game especially in the playoffs specifically is what I'm referring to. D'Antoni is known to have short rotations and plays his guys too long. Shawn Marion said this himself not too long ago. And that's been one of D'Antoni's problems from then and now. There is many articles out there about D'Antoni and his short rotations, just google D'Antoni and short rotations.
In playoffs, superstar players do average around 40 minutes though, that's nothing new. Jimmy Butler just averaged 38.4 MPG for Miami in the playoffs. Jayson Tatum was averaging 40.6 MPG for Celtics in the playoffs this year. By comparison, James Harden averaged 37.3 MPG for Houston in the playoffs this year, which is actually less than those guys. So the facts don't support your argument bro. And yes, Marion talked about the heavy minutes but again, that is a product of rosters with limited depth.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#31 » by DarkXaero » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:16 pm

Phish Tank wrote:I like these two hires for you. The only thing I thought of is that MDA should really be the associate head coach for Nash rather than Vaughn - who I think was just placed there because there wasn't a thought that MDA would leave early on in September. Therefore, I kinda find Vaughn redundant.

Also a bit skeptical of Amare's hire as I don't really see him helping anyone on a player development angle. But who knows. The one benefit is that you have a few coaches returning from the Kenny staff who do prioritize player development. That'll balance out the coaching staff that's full of a lot of big names, especially many who can gun for a head coaching spot.
I agree that MDA should have Vaughn's position, but that ended up being the case as I don't think we expected MDA to be available later. I don't know if Vaughn is redundant though as he was Kenny's assistant the entire time, and by taking over as head coach before, he has a good grasp on the roster, and locker room personalities. But I do agree that MDA should be lead assistant over Vaughn, MDA is far more qualified and proven as a coach.

The Amare hire has been specifically been referred to for "player development" so I'm assuming he'll be helping out guys like Allen, Claxton, Kurucs, if they're still on the roster. I don't mind it and I'm sure he can be a good mentor for the younger players. I saw a quote from this year's lotto pick, Deni Avidja, talking about how Amare was extremely helpful for him. I don't think Nash is just hiring his friends to get them jobs.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#32 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Nov 2, 2020 1:47 am

I’m excited......

Can’t wait!
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#33 » by GTR11 » Mon Nov 2, 2020 9:37 am

My only concern here is that you ain't going to outscore teams every given night. Defense going to be thing to watch. I'm skeptical.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#34 » by 3pt_chucker » Mon Nov 2, 2020 5:06 pm

GTR11 wrote:My only concern here is that you ain't going to outscore teams every given night. Defense going to be thing to watch. I'm skeptical.

That's why we hired Udoka. Our defense wasn't awful last year and seemed to be improved once JV took over.

Let's see what the final roster looks like before worrying about it too much.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#35 » by Claud » Mon Nov 2, 2020 6:40 pm

MDA is a great offensive mind which is why he will help with that side of the game. Udoka will be in charge of the defense.

Very Impressed with our coaching staff. I was afraid it would be a mistake to let go of Kenny but it seems like it was the right move.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#36 » by Prokorov » Tue Nov 3, 2020 2:03 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:

Well for 1, Da'antoni isnt the head coach and Nash gets the final say on rotations. given Nash was brought in specifically to be a player/star friendly coach and 3 of our best players are injury prone, this really should not be a concern here... especially if you take into account our organizational philosiphy of bringing guys back slow from injury.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#37 » by Prokorov » Tue Nov 3, 2020 2:05 pm

Phish Tank wrote:I like these two hires for you. The only thing I thought of is that MDA should really be the associate head coach for Nash rather than Vaughn - who I think was just placed there because there wasn't a thought that MDA would leave early on in September. Therefore, I kinda find Vaughn redundant.

I dont really think amare is there to teach anyone footwork or positioning... i think he is there to get another younger coach/former star player who can relate to the nets stars.

like a less old cranky dude and more young former player dude vibe. with Nash/Vaughn/Amare i think that will jive well with our team. Then you got D'antoni to make sure the ship is sailing right from an X's and Os perspective
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#38 » by Prokorov » Tue Nov 3, 2020 2:12 pm

DarkXaero wrote:

I agree that MDA should have Vaughn's position, but that ended up being the case as I don't think we expected MDA to be available later. I don't know if Vaughn is redundant though as he was Kenny's assistant the entire time, and by taking over as head coach before, he has a good grasp on the roster, and locker room personalities. But I do agree that MDA should be lead assistant over Vaughn, MDA is far more qualified and proven as a coach.

The Amare hire has been specifically been referred to for "player development" so I'm assuming he'll be helping out guys like Allen, Claxton, Kurucs, if they're still on the roster. I don't mind it and I'm sure he can be a good mentor for the younger players. I saw a quote from this year's lotto pick, Deni Avidja, talking about how Amare was extremely helpful for him. I don't think Nash is just hiring his friends to get them jobs.

People are assuming D'antoni wants that big of a role. He may not. Coaching n the NBA (especially if you coach stars) is a very demanding thing. When he didnt land the philly job he may have decided he wanted a year off, and isntead choose a lesser role to refresh himself before filling a better opportunity in 2022
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#39 » by MGrand15 » Tue Nov 3, 2020 3:32 pm

I think this is the perfect scenario for our team. I've always felt that MDA was a basketball genius who struggled with the human element of the game. Keeping everyone happy, minute distribution, ball distribution, communication. If you were the 9th man, not only did you not play, but he treated you like a scrub. This role allows him to focus on Xs and Os while Nash is in charge of keeping the team together and happy.

Udoka is a guy who's probably going to be a head coach one day. Well respected for his time in the league + experience with high level defenses.

Having JV around too is a huge bonus. He's already familiar with the guys on a personal level. He's familiar with the system we had in place.

If there was any fear that KD + Kyrie wouldn't respect the coaches (which I think happened with Kenny) - Nash, 2 long time NBA vets, and a HOF coach should clear that right up. That won't be a problem on any level.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#40 » by GTR11 » Wed Nov 4, 2020 7:10 am

3pt_chucker wrote:
GTR11 wrote:My only concern here is that you ain't going to outscore teams every given night. Defense going to be thing to watch. I'm skeptical.

That's why we hired Udoka. Our defense wasn't awful last year and seemed to be improved once JV took over.

Let's see what the final roster looks like before worrying about it too much.

Can't see any moves being made. Season most likely will start in a month or so, so yup we'll get to see this roster as it is.

Return to Brooklyn Nets