Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1221 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Nov 4, 2020 3:45 pm

wapith wrote:
0BobLobLaw0 wrote:Anyone here play Kubb?

Yes. Big fan. My favorite lawn game by far. Got all my friends into it

I'd never heard of it. Looked it up, it looks fun.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Post#1222 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Wed Nov 4, 2020 3:49 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
wapith wrote:
0BobLobLaw0 wrote:Anyone here play Kubb?

Its a ton of fun, best backyard game IMO.

WI is the kubb capital of America, and the national championship is held every year in Eau Claire.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#1223 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Nov 4, 2020 7:01 pm

Love to all!
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#1224 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed Nov 4, 2020 7:39 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
giannis and 1 wrote:Law school applications are a pain in the ass :banghead:

If you think they're a pain in the ass, wait until you actually start doing legal writing. :wink:

Of all the classes to require two semesters of... :nonono:
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,887

Post#1225 » by jschligs » Wed Nov 4, 2020 8:52 pm

0BobLobLaw0 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
wapith wrote:

WI is the kubb capital of America, and the national championship is held every year in Eau Claire.

Best backyard game goes to Kan Jam. Fight me on it. (Sorry I'm a huge ultimate frisbee and disc golf guy).
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,917

Post#1226 » by stellation » Wed Nov 4, 2020 10:30 pm

jschligs wrote:
0BobLobLaw0 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I'd never heard of it. Looked it up, it looks fun.

Best backyard game goes to Kan Jam. Fight me on it. (Sorry I'm a huge ultimate frisbee and disc golf guy).

Kan Jam is a weird way to spell 6 and out, one hand one bounce cricket!
#FreeChuckDiesel
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,940

Post#1227 » by humanrefutation » Thu Nov 5, 2020 12:04 am

Bucksfan28 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
giannis and 1 wrote:Law school applications are a pain in the ass :banghead:

If you think they're a pain in the ass, wait until you actually start doing legal writing. :wink:

They should require more. It's easily the biggest flaw that you see from new attorneys - they just don't know how to write. But I think the courses should involve more practical legal writing exercises than they did when I was in LS about a decade ago. Knowing how to use the bluebook is a very small part of that, IMO.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,315

Post#1228 » by jute2003 » Thu Nov 5, 2020 12:19 am

humanrefutation wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

They should require more. It's easily the biggest flaw that you see from new attorneys - they just don't know how to write. But I think the courses should involve more practical legal writing exercises than they did when I was in LS about a decade ago. Knowing how to use the bluebook is a very small part of that, IMO.
When I was in college I had both ag professors and psychology professors tell me that technical writing and writing in general is a major weakness for their students. It is a common problem across all fields. We all just suck at writing.
only a fan, only an opinion
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,962

Post#1229 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Nov 5, 2020 12:32 am

jute2003 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:

When I was in college I had both ag professors and psychology professors tell me that technical writing and writing in general is a major weakness for their students. It is a common problem across all fields. We all just suck at writing.

I owe every job I've ever gotten to my writing/technical writing courses.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#1230 » by Bucksfan28 » Thu Nov 5, 2020 12:35 am

humanrefutation wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

No doubt, there seems to be a fair amount of seasoned vets who can't write either :lol: (and lets not get started on older opinions). I don't know if more LW classes solves that problem though. Two semesters plus multiple internships should be enough to develop those necessary skills.

An alternative could be the more substantive classes assigning written work rather than placing all the eggs into a final.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,315

Post#1231 » by jute2003 » Thu Nov 5, 2020 12:44 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
jute2003 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

I owe every job I've ever gotten to my writing/technical writing courses.
My ability to pretend like I have some technical writing ability is what got me my independent study course/internship. My psychology minor was actually a big hit with both of my employers following college though. I guess it is what made me stand out in the Ag industry.
only a fan, only an opinion
wapith
Junior
And1: 164

Post#1232 » by wapith » Fri Nov 6, 2020 12:27 am

jschligs wrote:
0BobLobLaw0 wrote:

Won’t fight you because Kan Jam is great. There’s a few things that make Kubb such a great casual backyard game:

a) Can pretty much play with any number of people (over 4 ideally). Odd or even it doesn’t matter
b) Easy to jump in/out of the game. For example if you are grilling or something.
c) Very conducive to holding a beverage
d) Individual games can have huge momentum swings
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Post#1233 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 2:13 am

wapith wrote:
jschligs wrote:
0BobLobLaw0 wrote:

Won’t fight you because Kan Jam is great. There’s a few things that make Kubb such a great casual backyard game:

a) Can pretty much play with any number of people (over 4 ideally). Odd or even it doesn’t matter
b) Easy to jump in/out of the game. For example if you are grilling or something.
c) Very conducive to holding a beverage
d) Individual games can have huge momentum swings

Plus tons of strategy involved. Whenever people ask me what it is, I always say "its your new favorite yard game"

For those who are in the SEWI area, find our kubb club on Facebook...Norman's All-stars.... we run a tournament every September for charity. Plenty of room for more teams.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,053

Post#1234 » by MissKhriddleton » Fri Nov 6, 2020 3:05 am

I bought my dad a Kubb set but could not make sense of the rules when I looked them up so we’ve never played. I’ve played with other people who knew what they were doing and it was fun.

Molkky is the game I got into a few summers ago. Similar to Kubb in that you’re throwing a piece of wood at other pieces of wood. Super accessible, any number of players/teams. Games can get pretty exciting. Only negative is having to setup the pins after every throw. If you play with lazy, distracted people it’s a pain in the ass.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1235 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Nov 6, 2020 8:01 pm

No Le Batard show today. Obvious speculation is someone (or someones) from the Shipping Container was part of the big ESPN layoffs yesterday. I know Katie Nolan's co-host/producer Ashley Braband was laid off. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Dan calls it quits if that happens.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,940

Post#1236 » by humanrefutation » Fri Nov 6, 2020 8:04 pm

I'm at the point in my personal and professional life when it is hard to sit down and watch an entire sporting event from beginning-to-end in one sitting.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1237 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Nov 6, 2020 8:15 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I'm at the point in my personal and professional life when it is hard to sit down and watch an entire sporting event from beginning-to-end in one sitting.

Once the Packers covered at the half last night I went to bed. Sportingballs contests start too late.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#1238 » by Ill-yasova » Sat Nov 7, 2020 2:59 am

jschligs wrote:
0BobLobLaw0 wrote:

See, I’m pretty good at beersby but absolutely atrocious at Kan Jam. Like, worst person in the game by a mile. I don’t get it.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#1239 » by Chuck Diesel » Sat Nov 7, 2020 5:04 pm

Beautiful in Wisconsin today. How bout this weather?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1240 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Nov 7, 2020 5:26 pm

For no reason other than the weather, I've opened up all my doors and windows and have been playing positive tunes all morning. It's a very wonderful day and I wouldn't fault anyone for dancing and singing in their place.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks