ImageImageImage

OT - Current Affairs/COVID/Vaccines, etc

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,641

Re: OT - Current Affairs/Events/BLM/Politics/Elections 

Post#501 » by sunsbum » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:10 am

bwgood77 wrote:Yeah, Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, etc, control too many people's minds. Then you have people believing anything Trump said that made it 10x worse...all the people thinking there was cheating, etc. So glad we moved on from that..wish we could move on from Fox News and some of those radio shows that control the sheep.

I feel like my comment was pretty non partisan and your response wasn't. All I did was suggest people should think for themselves outside of main stream media and you immediately went on the offensive. Personally, I cut the cable TV years ago.
Flex is now your father.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#502 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:51 pm

sunsbum wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Yeah, Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, etc, control too many people's minds. Then you have people believing anything Trump said that made it 10x worse...all the people thinking there was cheating, etc. So glad we moved on from that..wish we could move on from Fox News and some of those radio shows that control the sheep.

I feel like my comment was pretty non partisan and your response wasn't. All I did was suggest people should think for themselves outside of main stream media and you immediately went on the offensive. Personally, I cut the cable TV years ago.

The problem is that the MSM doesn't just exist on cable TV anymore. One could easily argue that social media and the rise of personalised bubbles/echo chambers is worse than those 24hr MSM channels. And just because you don't watch cable news anymore doesn't mean you don't get the news clips or headlines from those networks.

The Fox news audience get a bad rap because people see them as being in the "Fox News Bubble" but what most people don't realise and especially those who are even a little bit interested in politics is that they are *already* in their own bubble. The news clips they see, the articles that show up in their feed and the posts that gets retweeted/shared by their FB friends/follows are all a curated specifically for them by these algorithms which the social media giants have created.

So when I see others say, people should think of themselves and not look towards MSM, I *know* where these people are going when trying to think for themselves and that's unknowingly going back into the invisible bubble of information which subsequently confirms their biases. This is true for both sides of the aisle. I'm not going to claim I'm woke or whatever term is being used nowadays because my biases are confirmed everyday with the news I get from my own bubble and I do nothing about it even though I know that 95% of my news I consume is from one side of the conversation.

What I think is more important is to be able to discern fact from fiction, science from fantasy and being able to get at least half of your news from the other side. And when I say the other side, I mean not the far ends of the spectrum but centre-left and centre-right and between those two sides, find the commons facts being reported.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#503 » by cberry78 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:03 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
sunsbum wrote:

The problem is that the MSM doesn't just exist on cable TV anymore. One could easily argue that social media and the rise of personalised bubbles/echo chambers is worse than those 24hr MSM channels. And just because you don't watch cable news anymore doesn't mean you don't get the news clips or headlines from those networks.

The Fox news audience get a bad rap because people see them as being in the "Fox News Bubble" but what most people don't realise and especially those who are even a little bit interested in politics is that they are *already* in their own bubble. The news clips they see, the articles that show up in their feed and the posts that gets retweeted/shared by their FB friends/follows are all a curated specifically for them by these algorithms which the social media giants have created.

So when I see others say, people should think of themselves and not look towards MSM, I *know* where these people are going when trying to think for themselves and that's unknowingly going back into the invisible bubble of information which subsequently confirms their biases. This is true for both sides of the aisle. I'm not going to claim I'm woke or whatever term is being used nowadays because my biases are confirmed everyday with the news I get from my own bubble and I do nothing about it even though I know that 95% of my news I consume is from one side of the conversation.

What I think is more important is to be able to discern fact from fiction, science from fantasy and being able to get at least half of your news from the other side. And when I say the other side, I mean not the far ends of the spectrum but centre-left and centre-right and between those two sides, find the commons facts being reported.

+1000000

Each and every thing you just said needs an upvote.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Moochthemonkey
Sixth Man
And1: 1,579

Post#504 » by Moochthemonkey » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:49 am

sunsbum wrote:“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle.”

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you do read it, you're misinformed,"

I wasn't making any claims about the veracity of what's on bitchute btw, just describing the type of content there. It may go against connotation, but when I call something a conspiracy, I'm not implying whether or not it's untruthful.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#505 » by BobbieL » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:17 pm

There are some good journalists on Fox. Bret Baier, Chris Wallace, Sandra Smith - I think are all solid.

But when people think of "Fox News" - they think of the partisan Op-Ed-Entertainment folks like Fox and Friends, Hannity, Tucker, Ingraham and the Five.

CNN and MSNBC has its own issues - I have no idea what they will talk about with Biden. As literally, there were nights from Erin Burnett to Don Lemon - they would get "breaking news, robert mueller had a ham sandwich for lunch today" and all night they were talking about that, or Impeachment.

I think all three networks did a disservice to Trump and viewers by skewing coverage so much.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#506 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 9:54 pm

Pretty crazy stuff going on. If anyone wants to follow a large discussion regarding what is going on in Washington with twitter updates and all, there is a big fast thread over here... viewtopic.php?f=69&t=2036247&start=580
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,031

Post#507 » by SlovenianDragon » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:37 am

god I LOVE cam

edit: w.e lol
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,031

Post#508 » by SlovenianDragon » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:17 am

Yo i just got caught up on all this wallstreet stuff and its crazy. I learned more about stocks in the last 24 hours then i have in my whole life.

Go little dudes go! Hold the door!
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Re: 2021-22 Season/Offseason Speculation 

Post#509 » by King4Day » Wed Sep 1, 2021 7:13 pm

This could start to get interesting. Especially if more teams have to do this eventually too.

Read on Twitter
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,864

Post#510 » by grumpysaddle » Wed Sep 1, 2021 8:25 pm

King4Day wrote:This could start to get interesting. Especially if more teams have to do this eventually too.

Read on Twitter

Good, there's no excuse outside of medical reasons to not be vaccinated in the United States at this point. And that's all I'll say, I'm not interested in derailing a thread with political garbage when it should only be medical truths.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#511 » by thamadkant » Wed Sep 1, 2021 8:38 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:
King4Day wrote:This could start to get interesting. Especially if more teams have to do this eventually too.

Read on Twitter

Good, there's no excuse outside of medical reasons to not be vaccinated in the United States at this point. And that's all I'll say, I'm not interested in derailing a thread with political garbage when it should only be medical truths.

Fair.

So what is the medical truth. Will getting a shot prevent you from getting it or spreading it and how many shots does it take. Those are the multi-billion dollar questions many are asking.

It's a controversial issue because of so many sources of information and illogical decisions.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,080

Post#512 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Sep 1, 2021 9:22 pm

thamadkant wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:

Read on Twitter

Fair.

So what is the medical truth. Will getting a shot prevent you from getting it or spreading it and how many shots does it take. Those are the multi-billion dollar questions many are asking.

It's a controversial issue because of so many sources of information and illogical decisions.

No, it's controversial because of politics and identity. I also don't want to derail things but the truth is most people - and I mean almost everyone - are sheep. We're just part of different flocks. You can justify any position no matter how nonsensical, and people will tend to justify those positions they have -- which are just the positions their flocks have.

If you think you're an independent thinker, I guarantee you're part of a flock of "independent thinkers," or several such flocks. And if you want to talk logic, I'll just say to beware of motivated reasoning or "cherrypicking," the genealogical fallacy and most of all, ad hoc. Does one not believe in science unless and until a study supports one's position? Does one use a particular principle to defend a position and then invent reasons why the same principle does not apply to the next situation? Are your beliefs and thoughts a big puzzle that you spend time trying to figure out, or is the scaffolding of your mind rickety or bare but nonetheless capable of reaching lofty heights?

If your goal is to be correct, the first step is to be humble. And don't open your mind so much that your brain falls out. From where I stand, I see our society collapsing under the weight of sheer, stubborn stupidity and willful blindness. Is that how Rome fell? Because too many Romans were infected by mass hysterical stupidity? Don't believe I've read that anywhere. Guess it'll just be another remarkable new path trailblazed by America.
grumpysaddle
RealGM

Post#513 » by grumpysaddle » Wed Sep 1, 2021 10:10 pm

thamadkant wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:

Read on Twitter

Fair.

Getting a shot or two or three with a booster counted dramatically decreases the time before viral load diminishes, giving the virus less time to mutate into potentially deadlier, more vaccine resistant strains. I will take however many shots it takes to keep myself and others safer, even those that don't want to keep themselves and their families safe. Science changes with new information.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,150

Post#514 » by bigfoot » Wed Sep 1, 2021 10:25 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
thamadkant wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:

Fair.

No, it's controversial because of politics and identity. I also don't want to derail things but the truth is most people - and I mean almost everyone - are sheep. We're just part of different flocks. You can justify any position no matter how nonsensical, and people will tend to justify those positions they have -- which are just the positions their flocks have.

If you think you're an independent thinker, I guarantee you're part of a flock of "independent thinkers," or several such flocks. And if you want to talk logic, I'll just say to beware of motivated reasoning or "cherrypicking," the genealogical fallacy and most of all, ad hoc. Does one not believe in science unless and until a study supports one's position? Does one use a particular principle to defend a position and then invent reasons why the same principle does not apply to the next situation? Are your beliefs and thoughts a big puzzle that you spend time trying to figure out, or is the scaffolding of your mind rickety or bare but nonetheless capable of reaching lofty heights?

If your goal is to be correct, the first step is to be humble. And don't open your mind so much that your brain falls out. From where I stand, I see our society collapsing under the weight of sheer, stubborn stupidity and willful blindness. Is that how Rome fell? Because too many Romans were infected by mass hysterical stupidity? Don't believe I've read that anywhere. Guess it'll just be another remarkable new path trailblazed by America.

Logic?? 97% of current hospitalized COVID patients are unvaccinated. Many states are at near capacity in their ICU beds because they are filled with unvaccinated COVID patients. These states have the lowest vaccination rates. Applying the most basic logic to this scenario says get vaccinated.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#515 » by bwgood77 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 10:31 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
thamadkant wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:

Fair.

I agree that more and more people are in this flock mentality, but I would definitely not categorize everyone that way. I have never blindly followed all of the opinions of either side and have been an independent and not in any "flock" on independents. I don't watch a bunch of stuff on tv or join/follow any certain groups, read biased publications, etc.

Due to my nature I am driven by data, and data that is verified or I can verify. My personal opinion is it seems extremely dumb not to get a vaccine or especially not get one and not wear a mask, but if those people want to risk it, they may have to pay a big price. It is unfortunate that these people may infect others, but if vaccinated others continue to take all the necessary precautions given this herd anti vax mentality out there, hopefully the vaccinated folks can avoid anything serious, ...and the data shows that's largely the case, even in the unlikely case they do get infected.
grumpysaddle
RealGM

Post#516 » by grumpysaddle » Wed Sep 1, 2021 11:12 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
thamadkant wrote:

Fair.

I agree that more and more people are in this flock mentality, but I would definitely not categorize everyone that way. I have never blindly followed all of the opinions of either side and have been an independent.

Due to my nature I am driven by data, and data that is verified or I can verify. My personal opinion is it seems extremely dumb not to get a vaccine or especially not get one and not wear a mask, but if those people want to risk it, they may have to pay a big price. It is unfortunate that these people may infect others, but if vaccinated others continue to take all the necessary precautions given this herd anti vax mentality out there, hopefully the vaccinated folks can avoid anything serious, ...and the data shows that's largely the case, even in the unlikely case they do get infected.

The problem with this, though, is the unvaccinated will be the reason new variants take hold. Those variants could even be vaccine resistant, quickly putting us back to square one when so many have tried their hardest to be responsible and do the correct thing according to the science. There's already a variant (C.1.2) that is looking to be much more contagious and even may be semi-vaccine resistant (small amount of data at this point).

People that have a proclivity to call others sheep taking deworming meds made for livestock instead of the insanely studied and verified for human-use vaccines is the height of irony.

There's not a single hospital in the world full of people dying from the vaccination, however, there's more than enough full of those that refuse science and decide to take their chances with their "immune system" (that doesn't know how to handle this virus because it does not have the blueprints to do so, as it is novel).
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,405

Post#517 » by Barkley6 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 11:38 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

I agree that more and more people are in this flock mentality, but I would definitely not categorize everyone that way. I have never blindly followed all of the opinions of either side and have been an independent.

The problem with this, though, is the unvaccinated will be the reason new variants take hold. Those variants could even be vaccine resistant, quickly putting us back to square one when so many have tried their hardest to be responsible and do the correct thing according to the science. There's already a variant (C.1.2) that is looking to be much more contagious and even may be semi-vaccine resistant (small amount of data at this point).

People that have a proclivity to call others sheep taking deworming meds made for livestock instead of the insanely studied and verified for human-use vaccines is the height of irony.

There's not a single hospital in the world full of people dying from the vaccination, however, there's more than enough full of those that refuse science and decide to take their chances with their "immune system" (that doesn't know how to handle this virus because it does not have the blueprints to do so, as it is novel).

I'll never understand the people who say "Well, numerous studied professionals say one thing, but me, a person who no specialized knowledge whatsoever on this particular topic am going to contradict them based on a facebook meme."

It's similar to the way a lot of people look at sports. Yes, the professionals aren't perfect and they get things wrong, but there was a contingent on here begging Monty to play Smith in the Finals only to watch him then be pretty average in Summer League. As if they knew better than Monty, Mark Bryant, Willie Green, etc. it's the same kind of thinking.

I'll be honest, I'm straight up An-Com politically, but that doesn't mean I don't trust experts. Did I take the vaccine because the government told me to? No. I took the vaccine after having a discussion with a research scientist who worked on COVID-19 vaccine development and explained to me how it worked, how it was approved and why it was safe. I'm going to take her word over a guy with a podcast or a facebook meme.
Years90Suns
Senior
And1: 280

Post#518 » by Years90Suns » Wed Sep 1, 2021 11:51 pm

thamadkant wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:

Read on Twitter

Fair.

UK: 80% of people in ICU are inoculated with those products just approved for emergency reasons.
This is not politics, neither science.
THIS IS CONTROL OVER US

Vaccines (which are not, but for our understanding) where developed quickly, with no trials and for a theoric virus that no one has proved to exist.
Years90Suns
Senior
And1: 280

Post#519 » by Years90Suns » Wed Sep 1, 2021 11:53 pm

Barkley6 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I'll never understand the people who say "Well, numerous studied professionals say one thing, but me, a person who no specialized knowledge whatsoever on this particular topic am going to contradict them based on a facebook meme."

It's similar to the way a lot of people look at sports. Yes, the professionals aren't perfect and they get things wrong, but there was a contingent on here begging Monty to play Smith in the Finals only to watch him then be pretty average in Summer League. As if they knew better than Monty, Mark Bryant, Willie Green, etc. it's the same kind of thinking.

I'll be honest, I'm straight up An-Com politically, but that doesn't mean I don't trust experts. Did I take the vaccine because the government told me to? No. I took the vaccine after having a discussion with a research scientist who worked on COVID-19 vaccine development and explained to me how it worked, how it was approved and why it was safe. I'm going to take her word over a guy with a podcast or a facebook meme.

Absolutely everybody in this world has an interest in selling vaccines.
Prizes, payments and fees are interesting.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#520 » by bwgood77 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 12:11 am

grumpysaddle wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I agree that more and more people are in this flock mentality, but I would definitely not categorize everyone that way. I have never blindly followed all of the opinions of either side and have been an independent.

I've seen the numbers of vaccinated vs unvaccinated hospitalizations and deaths. I am not a scientist so I don't know about new strains arising, but I was told a while back prior to the delta variant that once enough people have had it, are resistant, etc, that is when it is most likely to mutate, because it is desperately looking for new hosts. So I am not sure about the more unvaccinated being a direct cause for mutations or if it was the other way around. Anyway, with any new strains, I imagine they will eventually develop a vaccine to help out with that, somewhat like the flu shot.

Return to Phoenix Suns