ImageImage

2020-21 Brewers Offseason Thread: JBJ Signed - 2 Years $24 Million, 1 Year Opt Out

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,915

Re: 2020-21 Brewers Offseason Thread 

Post#41 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Nov 4, 2020 10:58 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#42 » by leroyjw10 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 3:26 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

I can't believe the hitting coach remained after last season. This is reminiscent of hanging on to Pettine even though it's clear he's a problem.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#43 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Nov 6, 2020 8:36 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter
At a spring training game a couple years back he ripped a fart that I could hear from the stands and sent the pitchers scurrying away.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,357

Post#44 » by M-C-G » Sat Nov 7, 2020 7:05 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

I can't believe the hitting coach remained after last season. This is reminiscent of hanging on to Pettine even though it's clear he's a problem.

There is something that stinks about the way we have been cycling through coaching staff the last two seasons. For having a likable Manager and GM, and we've been pretty good, sure are losing a lot of guys.

Not sure if we are just cheap or there is more friction behind the scenes we don't know about
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,750

Post#45 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Nov 9, 2020 11:20 pm

Williams wins ROY. That rules.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#46 » by DrWood » Mon Nov 9, 2020 11:48 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

WTF?

I think most teams are going to be very cheap this offseason. I'm sure it's going to make them look cheap and might very well cost them, but I'm assuming this is their justification that they can try to get him or a similar caliber player cheaper.

Yeah, not a real surprise, owners probably lost quite a bit last year, and now this year too many unknowns. Might be a lot of FA this offseason sitting around right up until before the next season starts up.

but Gyorko is one of the few hitters who produced this season. $4.5 million isn't excessive.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,590

Post#47 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:08 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Williams wins ROY. That rules.

First pitcher without a win or a save to win the award.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#48 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:39 pm

DrWood wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
I think most teams are going to be very cheap this offseason. I'm sure it's going to make them look cheap and might very well cost them, but I'm assuming this is their justification that they can try to get him or a similar caliber player cheaper.

Yeah, not a real surprise, owners probably lost quite a bit last year, and now this year too many unknowns. Might be a lot of FA this offseason sitting around right up until before the next season starts up.

but Gyorko is one of the few hitters who produced this season. $4.5 million isn't excessive.

We've seen in all of these guys' careers that they are all very up-and-down and in theory replaceable. That's the reason that Gyorko was available for cheap (by pre-2020 season standards). He was terrible in 60 games in 2019 and so-so in 2018 after being a solid/good hitter for most of the years before that.

So I guess management's idea, while not to defend them because they're being cheap but also to defend them based on that...they could easily be overpaying him based on a hot 60 games last year. What if they get 2019 Gyorko?

I mean I would think they can/should just pay him, but I guess the idea would be that they can just find someone under-the-radar like Gyorko was for cheaper. If they have a gaping hole there, of course they can/should be flamed for it.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#49 » by M-C-G » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:52 pm

DrWood wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

My guess is that if you want him back, you can get him for half that price. My larger thought is that it will be a 'buyers' market and you are going to see a ton of quality FA taking one year deals for well below market value (pre Covid market).

I might be wrong, just my guess.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#50 » by DrWood » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:50 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:
DrWood wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

We've seen in all of these guys' careers that they are all very up-and-down and in theory replaceable. That's the reason that Gyorko was available for cheap (by pre-2020 season standards). He was terrible in 60 games in 2019 and so-so in 2018 after being a solid/good hitter for most of the years before that.

So I guess management's idea, while not to defend them because they're being cheap but also to defend them based on that...they could easily be overpaying him based on a hot 60 games last year. What if they get 2019 Gyorko?

I mean I would think they can/should just pay him, but I guess the idea would be that they can just find someone under-the-radar like Gyorko was for cheaper. If they have a gaping hole there, of course they can/should be flamed for it.

How much cheaper can they get for a guy who hit fine and has positional flexibility?
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#51 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:07 pm

DrWood wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
DrWood wrote:but Gyorko is one of the few hitters who produced this season. $4.5 million isn't excessive.

How much cheaper can they get for a guy who hit fine and has positional flexibility?

If all of the owners are colluding (and do have somewhat of a gripe of lost revenue, though of course they can afford to eat said loss), I bet a guy like Gyorko goes for $2 or $3 million next year.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#52 » by M-C-G » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:33 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
DrWood wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

If all of the owners are colluding (and do have somewhat of a gripe of lost revenue, though of course they can afford to eat said loss), I bet a guy like Gyorko goes for $2 or $3 million next year.

Or someone even better is available at 4.5M dollar slot? Also not sure what to make of Vogelnuts, and what they want to do with him.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: 2020-21 Brewers Offseason Thread: Williams is NL ROY 

Post#53 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#54 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:18 pm

Rule 5 draft. We have 36 on our 40 man. Will Sammon has an article in the Athletic that I can't post about who we may protect and Mario Feliciano leads the list.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#55 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:50 pm

Read on Twitter
Pugger
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#56 » by Pugger » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:21 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

Really? Dear God... :no:
Pugger
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#57 » by Pugger » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:23 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter
At a spring training game a couple years back he ripped a fart that I could hear from the stands and sent the pitchers scurrying away.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

:lol:
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Dec 2, 2020 10:55 pm

Read on Twitter
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#59 » by trwi7 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 1:44 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thanks Robert. No arbitration deals are guaranteed. Great reporting. Top notch stuff.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#60 » by trwi7 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 2:12 am

Knebel traded to the Dodgers for a PTBNL or cash. I will now scream into the void.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers