ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,043

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#961 » by queridiculo » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:22 am

Madness, you feel good enough about a MIddleton, Holiday and Antetokounmpo core to give up that kind of draft capital?

Some dubious decision making by the Bucks from last season to this.

You couldn't be bothered to pay 26 year old Brogdon $20 million per, but now you've essentially committed yourself to a near max 4 year contract for a 31 year old PG with durability concerns?

They should have given Presti a call for Chris Paul.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#962 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:37 am

queridiculo wrote:Madness, you feel good enough about a MIddleton, Holiday and Antetokounmpo core to give up that kind of draft capital?

You couldn't be bothered to pay 26 year old Brogdon $20 million per, but now you've essentially committed yourself to a near max 4 year contract for a 31 year old PG with durability concerns?

Talking about all or nothing. The Jrue trade was insane - and I mean that literally. Now, they not only have to re-sign Giannis, but they also have to re-sign Jrue. And if they don't, it arguably becomes the single worst trade in NBA history. Also, they have dramatically increased the price it'll likely take to re-sign Jrue because of the leverage they've essentially gifted to him. Their payroll will be absurdly high next offseason... if things go as planned.

And the Bucks now have zero depth. Zippy. Nada.

And the Jrue trade was ALL about not having any faith that Bledsoe can play in the playoffs. But what had Jrue done to make them think it'll be any different for him? He's played in just 9 playoff games since 2015. Otherwise, he's essentially the same player as Bledsoe. But they gave up 3 FRP's, 2 pick swaps and quality backup guard George Hill.

It is odd the Bucks never went after Chris Paul. I don't know if Giannis had something against him and particularly liked Jrue. I'm still befuddled as to why they paid such a steep price for him. I know they felt they had to trade Bledsoe, but this was an absurdly 1-sided trade.

Now to build a bench out of thin air. They'll need a talented carpenter.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#963 » by TGW » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:37 am

Covington for Ariza and two firsts....not sure that's a great one either. A lot of overpaying by the smaller market teams.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#964 » by queridiculo » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:54 am

Ruzious wrote:
queridiculo wrote:Madness, you feel good enough about a MIddleton, Holiday and Antetokounmpo core to give up that kind of draft capital?

Talking about all or nothing. The Jrue trade was insane - and I mean that literally. Now, they not only have to re-sign Giannis, but they also have to re-sign Jrue. And if they don't, it arguably becomes the single worst trade in NBA history. Also, they have dramatically increased the price it'll likely take to re-sign Jrue because of the leverage they've essentially gifted to him. Their payroll will be absurdly high next offseason... if things go as planned.

And the Jrue trade was ALL about not having any faith that Bledsoe can play in the playoffs. But what had Jrue done to make them think it'll be any different for him? He's played in just 9 playoff games since 2015. Otherwise, he's essentially the same player as Bledsoe. But they gave up 3 FRP's, 2 pick swaps and quality backup guard George Hill.

It is odd the Bucks never went after Chris Paul. I don't know if Giannis had something against him and particularly liked Jrue. I'm still befuddled as to why they paid such a steep price for him. I know they felt they had to trade Bledsoe, but this was an absurdly 1-sided trade.

You've got to imagine that Team Giannis had significant input there and that the Bucks probably wouldn't have surrendered those picks if they didn't feel comfortable about the prospects of an extension.

With Bogdanovic in the fold things are starting to take shape for Milwaukee.

Is it enough?

These picks could well convey after Giannis is no longer with the team.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#965 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:46 am

queridiculo wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

You've got to imagine that Team Giannis had significant input there and that the Bucks probably wouldn't have surrendered those picks if they didn't feel comfortable about the prospects of an extension.

Is it enough?

Not sure I've ever seen a team with literally no bench. It'll be interesting to see what they do to fix that - especially since they have zero draft picks on Wednesday.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,281

Post#966 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:33 pm

Ruzious wrote:

If Giannis has basically agreed to an extension contingent on the Bucks making these moves, then it was a good move for Milwaukee. If Giannis is still in wait-and-see mode, then it's a bad move.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#967 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:59 pm

Does Milwaukee still have their 2020 1st (from Indiana)? That would help them get one more decent wing. A guy like Josh Green or Desmond Bane would be nice. Then use the Room Minimum on a defensive forward like Mo Harkless. Then the vet minimum on backup bigs and PGs. You can always find vets like Jeff Green and Javale McGee to eat up minutes.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#968 » by queridiculo » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:56 pm

nate33 wrote:Does Milwaukee still have their 2020 1st (from Indiana)? That would help them get one more decent wing. A guy like Josh Green or Desmond Bane would be nice. Then use the Room Minimum on a defensive forward like Mo Harkless. Then the vet minimum on backup bigs and PGs. You can always find vets like Jeff Green and Javale McGee to eat up minutes.

RealGM future picks says they still have the 24th pick.

Trouble with grabbing some of these vets, a lot of those players choose between money and/or chasing playoff success.

If you have the choice to go to Miami, Los Angeles, or any major city on the eastern seaboard, would you pick Milwaukee of all places?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,774

Post#969 » by Rafael122 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:29 pm

queridiculo wrote:
nate33 wrote:Does Milwaukee still have their 2020 1st (from Indiana)? That would help them get one more decent wing. A guy like Josh Green or Desmond Bane would be nice. Then use the Room Minimum on a defensive forward like Mo Harkless. Then the vet minimum on backup bigs and PGs. You can always find vets like Jeff Green and Javale McGee to eat up minutes.

Trouble with grabbing some of these vets, a lot of those players choose between money and/or chasing playoff success.

If you have the choice to go to Miami, Los Angeles, or any major city on the eastern seaboard, would you pick Milwaukee of all places?

The 24th pick went to the Pelicans.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#970 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:31 pm

queridiculo wrote:

With a little depth, they're championship contenders, maybe even the favorites.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#971 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:49 pm

I think it would be a mistake for Brooklyn to go all in for James Harden. The deal being discussed is Levert, Allen, Dinwiddie three 1sts and two pick swaps.

The deal would gut their bench and jettison their best defensive players. Why? They don't really need Harden's offense that badly on a team with Kyrie and Durant. They'd be much better off spending a lot less to go after a complimentary piece like Covington.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#972 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:05 pm

Ruzious wrote:
queridiculo wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Talking about all or nothing. The Jrue trade was insane - and I mean that literally. Now, they not only have to re-sign Giannis, but they also have to re-sign Jrue. And if they don't, it arguably becomes the single worst trade in NBA history. Also, they have dramatically increased the price it'll likely take to re-sign Jrue because of the leverage they've essentially gifted to him. Their payroll will be absurdly high next offseason... if things go as planned.

Is it enough?

Not sure I've ever seen a team with literally no bench. It'll be interesting to see what they do to fix that - especially since they have zero draft picks on Wednesday.

Correction - NO gave them picks 42 and 60 in tomorrow's draft.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#973 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:10 pm

nate33 wrote:I think it would be a mistake for Brooklyn to go all in for James Harden. The deal being discussed is Levert, Allen, Dinwiddie three 1sts and two pick swaps.

The deal would gut their bench and jettison their best defensive players. Why? They don't really need Harden's offense that badly on a team with Kyrie and Durant. They'd be much better off spending a lot less to go after a complimentary piece like Covington.

I'd go for it, because I'm not a big fan of Levert and Dinwiddie, and Allen's most likely leaving after this season. Levert is overpaid and seems soft to me - he's also an inefficient scorer. Dinwiddie's a little too clever for his own good and might have too big an ego to work as a lower level player on this team.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#974 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:20 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:

The 24th pick went to the Pelicans.

You could say the Bucks moved down from 24 to 42 and 60 - as NO gave them those 2 2nds in the trade. The other 2 1sts the Bucks gave NO were UNPROTECTED 2025 and 2027. Welp, I hope we're all alive in 2027.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#975 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:40 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:I think it would be a mistake for Brooklyn to go all in for James Harden. The deal being discussed is Levert, Allen, Dinwiddie three 1sts and two pick swaps.

I'd go for it, because I'm not a big fan of Levert and Dinwiddie, and Allen's most likely leaving after this season. Levert is overpaid and seems soft to me - he's also an inefficient scorer. Dinwiddie's a little too clever for his own good and might have too big an ego to work as a lower level player on this team.

I just don't think the offensive skills of Kyrie and Harden are cumulative. They're both ball pounders.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#976 » by LyricalRico » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:59 pm

My first instinct is to agree with this because I don't think that group works well longterm. OTOH if/when it doesn't work they can still flip a guy like Kyrie for other stuff down the road. There are worse plans than acquiring superstar talent anytime it's available and then sorting it out later.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#977 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:06 pm

LyricalRico wrote:

My first instinct is to agree with this because I don't think that group works well longterm. OTOH if/when it doesn't work they can still flip a guy like Kyrie for other stuff down the road. There are worse plans than acquiring superstar talent anytime it's available and then sorting it out later.

Good point. Collect star talent, worry about the details later.

That said, I'm not so sure that Kyrie will have any trade value if things aren't going well in Brooklyn. It's a Catch-22. If the situation goes south and they need to make a trade to fix the chemistry, the very guy they would trade (Kyrie) will suddenly be untradeable. Kyrie has been a team cancer everywhere he has been, except when alongside Lebron.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#978 » by LyricalRico » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:23 pm

nate33 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

Good point. Collect star talent, worry about the details later.

That said, I'm not so sure that Kyrie will have any trade value if things aren't going well in Brooklyn. It's a Catch-22. If the situation goes south and they need to make a trade to fix the chemistry, the very guy they would trade (Kyrie) will suddenly be untradeable. Kyrie has been a team cancer everywhere he has been, except when alongside Lebron.

There's always a "Rashard Lewis" out there. :D
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#979 » by Dark Faze » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:13 am

Detroit just got #16 for a bag of chips.

Tommy...
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#980 » by LyricalRico » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:06 am

Horford to OKC in a salary dump by Philly. He was always a bad fit there IMO, but maybe this is also them clearing their cap for Harden? For OKC, they get yet another pick and Horford is probably still movable to the right team.

Return to Washington Wizards