Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#201 » by Whole Truth » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:38 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

I wonder if this is a smokescreen. If so, that's so wrong. If not, this could force a team like Charlotte to go into a mind scramble.

I was going to post a trade deal here concerning Charlotte to draft OO and trade him to the Celtics for the #14, #26, #30 and Grant Williams

14th- Jalen Smith

26th- Daniel Oturu

30th- Jahmius Ramsey

Celtics can't afford to keep all their rookies in this draft. Charlotte can afford to as they will have upcoming free agents. Plus with these new players they cover and can build on their foundation. Athleticism, scoring, toughness, defense, post offense and perimeter improvements.

I believe it is.

Why is this information only now coming out where team have to scramble for information, yet not kept quiet long enough to help protect his stock?.

to just tank his stock. Good old sabotage 101

On the main board, it's maintained that Minnesota are not comfortable selecting at #1. I've been reading their boards & believe Onyeka is their prime target in a potential trade down where they would need him to fall past early interest.

I found it interesting that both you & Vic had Onyeka going to the Hornets at 3. I thought they had their sights on Hayes.

Their early interest could throw a wrench in Minnesota trading down #1 Edwards, with say Atlanta at 6.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#202 » by VCfor3 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:58 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
I believe it is.

Why is this information only now coming out where team have to scramble for information, yet not kept quiet long enough to help protect his stock?.

On the main board, it's maintained that Minnesota are not comfortable selecting at #1. I've been reading their boards & believe Onyeka is their prime target in a potential trade down where they would need him to fall past early interest.

I found it interesting that both you & Vic had Onyeka going to the Hornets at 3. I thought they had their sights on Hayes.

Their early interest could throw a wrench in Minnesota trading down #1 Edwards, with say Atlanta at 6.

I think Charlotte is trying hard for Wiseman but if they had to settle for someone else then I had them looking at Onyeka. Also apparently it is a fracture that should heal with a few weeks of rest and not a big deal.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#203 » by SD2042 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:01 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
I believe it is.

For me personally, I have OO to Charlotte as they BPA plus OO brings athleticism, defense, post scoring, play PF/C based on matchups. I think with more work on his game, OO can truly become a better player with time.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#204 » by Whole Truth » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:05 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

I think Charlotte is trying hard for Wiseman but if they had to settle for someone else then I had them looking at Onyeka. Also apparently it is a fracture that should heal with a few weeks of rest and not a big deal.

Good to hear.

Would be even better to hear Memphis is trading in for him :D
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#205 » by SD2042 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:24 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Good to hear.

Good old wishful thinking.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#206 » by Whole Truth » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:03 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I think Charlotte is trying hard for Wiseman but if they had to settle for someone else then I had them looking at Onyeka. Also apparently it is a fracture that should heal with a few weeks of rest and not a big deal.

Good to hear.

Well, if you don't have hope & faith, you have nothing
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#207 » by SD2042 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:46 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
Good to hear.

Well, if you don't have hope & faith, you have nothing

That part is true.

I'll put it this way. Although the very impossible can come from nothing. Sometimes, reality has a way of setting the tone to the shape of the current circumstances.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#208 » by E S V L » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:27 pm

In terms of depth, I am really worrying about absence of both third pg and third SF in our pipeline.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#209 » by VCfor3 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:38 pm

E S V L wrote:In terms of depth, I am really worrying about absence of both third pg and third SF in our pipeline.

What exactly does our depth chart look like?

PG: Ja/Tyus/(Winslow)
SG: Brooks/Bane/Allen/Guduric/ McDermott
SF: Winslow/Slo-mo/(Brooks)
PF: JJJ/Clarke/Tillie
C: JV/Dieng/Tillman

Konchar and Melton are RFAs and Jontay has a team option that may or may not be picked up. We can waive Guduric and keep all three if we want, but I don't see us keeping Josh Jackson or using the MLE unless we have additional trades.

You are right that PG and SF are thin for us. Winslow is out to start the season and JJJ is out a bit longer than Winslow.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#210 » by E S V L » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:40 am

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:In terms of depth, I am really worrying about absence of both third pg and third SF in our pipeline.

Konchar and Melton are RFAs and Jontay has a team option that may or may not be picked up. We can waive Guduric and keep all three if we want, but I don't see us keeping Josh Jackson or using the MLE unless we have additional trades.

You are right that PG and SF are thin for us. Winslow is out to start the season and JJJ is out a bit longer than Winslow.

Let’s figure out roster from a long term perspective. My version is:

Ja - Tyus - ___________
Brooks - Bane - Allen or Kanchar
___________ - __________ - ___________
Clarke - _________ - Tille
JJJ - Tillman - ___________
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#211 » by VCfor3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:08 am

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Ja - Tyus - ___________

I'd maybe put Winslow at SF and probably would switch Brooks and Bane but yeah I have something similar

I think Bane will be the 5th starter and Brooks will go for a 6th man role. If Brooks isn't willing to accept the 6th man role then he may end up traded. Right now he sees himself on Ja and JJJ's level and that is not the case. At some point he needs to actually learn his proper role and I'm worried he'll have trouble doing that on our team. He may need to be traded, but as soon as we do he'll blow up into the perfect role player for his new team. :banghead:
E S V L
Analyst

Post#212 » by E S V L » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:58 am

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:What exactly does our depth chart look like?

Ja - Tyus - ___________

I'd maybe put Winslow at SF and probably would switch Brooks and Bane but yeah I have something similar

I think Bane will be the 5th starter and Brooks will go for a 6th man role. If Brooks isn't willing to accept the 6th man role then he may end up traded. Right now he sees himself on Ja and JJJ's level and that is not the case. At some point he needs to actually learn his proper role and I'm worried he'll have trouble doing that on our team. He may need to be traded, but as soon as we do he'll blow up into the perfect role player for his new team. :banghead:

Am I the only one who thinks that Brooks was, and probably, is the only guy who do not hesitate, contrary to his agent’s concerns, to create for himself and, more importantly, to take a chance for a shot in dire circumstances against any considerations re his stats? And am I alone who acknowledges his sacrifice and bravery that keep our young core a bit farther from the ultimate burden of responsibility?

My point is that Brooks was/is not a problem: he was forced to take a role of a primer scorer. He should be given credit for that, not criticism.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#213 » by VCfor3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:48 am

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

Ja - Tyus - ___________

Am I the only one who thinks that Brooks was, and probably, is the only guy who do not hesitate, contrary to his agent’s concerns, to create for himself and, more importantly, to take a chance for a shot in dire circumstances against any considerations re his stats? And am I alone who acknowledges his sacrifice and bravery that keep our young core a bit farther from the ultimate burden of responsibility?

My point is that Brooks was/is not a problem: he was forced to take a role of a primer scorer. He should be given credit for that, not criticism.

I actually have no problem with him being overly confident and taking the last second shots right now. It takes pressure off our other young guys and helps them develop. He also provides needed shot creation that we otherwise lack outside Ja and JJJ a bit. But long term Brooks shouldn't be that role. He is good but not good enough if we want to contend. More often than not he plays outside the flow of offense. I like him as an eventual 6th man who can create and provide offense for a bench unit where he has a little more freedom to be himself. He also can defend the opposing 6th man and fill in as a starter when needed. Ideally we get a SG or SF in the 2021 draft that takes over as the 2nd or 3rd starter who creates shots for us next to Ja. IF IF IF Winslow stays healthy then I'd bump Bane to the bench and move Brooks to bench SF. I'd have Winslow play SG or SF (whichever the 2021 stud didn't play) in order to act as our wing stopper and secondary playmaker.

Ja/Cade :D/Winslow/Clarke/JJJ
Tyus/Bane/Brooks/Tillie?/Tillman

That second unit very much needs Brooks' shot creation but that's a heck of a team!
E S V L
Analyst

Post#214 » by E S V L » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:05 pm

Am I the only one who has noticed that Tyus looked amazingly effective when coupled with Kanchar?
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#215 » by VCfor3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:41 pm

E S V L wrote:Am I the only one who has noticed that Tyus looked amazingly effective when coupled with Kanchar?

Honestly Tyus has looked really good with most everyone towards the end of the season. He makes others better offensively and minimizes turnovers. Love that out of a backup PG.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#216 » by E S V L » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:17 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:Am I the only one who has noticed that Tyus looked amazingly effective when coupled with Kanchar?

Honestly Tyus has looked really good with most everyone towards the end of the season. He makes others better offensively and minimizes turnovers. Love that out of a backup PG.

While this is true, I still insist that he looked especially thriving with Kanchar on the floor.

I predict that Guduric and Allen are both gone by the season start.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#217 » by VCfor3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:33 pm

I'm wondering if the Boston trade has a S&T component to it. Otherwise I feel like it would have been done by now. Are we getting Hayward? Is Boston getting Melton? I don't know if Boston would want to be hardcapped by a sign and trade. Brooks+JV for Hayward+30?
E S V L
Analyst

Post#218 » by E S V L » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:34 pm

VCfor3 wrote:I'm wondering if the Boston trade has a S&T component to it. Otherwise I feel like it would have been done by now. Are we getting Hayward? Is Boston getting Melton? I don't know if Boston would want to be hardcapped by a sign and trade. Brooks+JV for Hayward+30?

I’d rather expect Kanter to be involved than GH. Something minor like cap relief.

Though Brooks + JV for GH + 30 looks so intriguing...
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#219 » by VCfor3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:52 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I'm wondering if the Boston trade has a S&T component to it. Otherwise I feel like it would have been done by now. Are we getting Hayward? Is Boston getting Melton? I don't know if Boston would want to be hardcapped by a sign and trade. Brooks+JV for Hayward+30?

I’d rather expect Kanter to be involved than GH. Something minor like cap relief.

I thought it would be Kanter too but they could have announced us eating him as part of the trade as soon as he opted in. We also could be waiting in case we need to be a 3rd team in a sign and trade. Atlanta gets Hayward one of the 2nds from Memphis, Boston gets the other 2nd and Dieng, Memphis gets TPE, Kanter, and Bane/#30. That way Boston bolsters their center position. Maybe Allen is part of the deal or something. Should be interesting to see what all happens at 5 tonight.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#220 » by Whole Truth » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:12 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

I thought it would be Kanter too but they could have announced us eating him as part of the trade as soon as he opted in. We also could be waiting in case we need to be a 3rd team in a sign and trade. Atlanta gets Hayward one of the 2nds from Memphis, Boston gets the other 2nd and Dieng, Memphis gets TPE, Kanter, and Bane/#30. That way Boston bolsters their center position. Maybe Allen is part of the deal or something. Should be interesting to see what all happens at 5 tonight.

On the main board they have Hezonja, Banes to Memphis & Kanter going to Portland.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies