Official Nov 18th, 2020 : Grizzlies Draft Night Thread

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Official Nov 18th, 2020 : Grizzlies Draft Night Thread 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:53 pm

Welcome to the 2020 NBA Draft Thread. This draft as we know is heavily one of the most unpredictable drafts in recent memory. There will be plenty moves to be made on this night. Although it's not a draft full of superstars, I believe that some of these rookies may have the potential to become complimentary players, maybe a few could become all stars later in their careers. Good luck to the incoming players tonight.

To the Memphis Grizzlies, they have the 40th pick in the draft tonight. Currently no rumors have come out of the Grizzlies camp about any potential deals to move into the first round or any current players could be on the move. All the fans can hope for is that the Grizzlies have done their due diligence towards selecting the best player at #40 and hope this player can become a difference maker for the future of the Grizzlies.

Welcome to the 2020 NBA Draft Night and good luck to the Memphis Grizzlies.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Official Nov 18th, 2020 : Grizzlies Draft Night Thread 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:59 pm

I'm projecting we make one trade tonight and sign an undrafted player to a 2-way.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#3 » by SD2042 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:26 pm

VCfor3 wrote:I'm projecting we make one trade tonight and sign an undrafted player to a 2-way.

You think a current Grizzlies will be on the move or will bean attempt to move into the first round?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#4 » by VCfor3 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:44 pm

SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I'm projecting we make one trade tonight and sign an undrafted player to a 2-way.

You think a current Grizzlies will be on the move or will bean attempt to move into the first round?

I think we either trade up a few spots using a 2nd or acquire an additional late second in this draft. Late seconds may end up kind of expensive though.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#5 » by jman3134 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:24 am

Hey guys, have been away for a little bit, but wanted to weigh in on our direction in this draft. As I mentioned previously, I maintain that this is not a great draft, but there is always talent to be found. While this is the least up on prospects I have been in all my years doing this, I like Saddiq Bey, RJ Hampton, Jay Scrubb, and Myles Powell this year.

Additionally, there are several guys we could sign to two-ways out of division 1 - I like these guys as development prospects: Jhonathan Dunn from Southern Nazarene, Brian Halums from Arkansas Fort Smith, Raquan Mitchell from NM Highlands, Jordan Floyd from King(TN), Selom Mawugbe from Azusa Pacific, JJ Culver from Wayland.

From D1, I also really like Davidson's Jón Axel Guðmundsson.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#6 » by SD2042 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:08 am

Here's the Grizzlies NBA Draft Watch from Grind City Media if anyone is interested.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by jman3134 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:09 am

On Jhonathan Dunn, here is a highlight tape so you can get a sense:

On Jay Scrubb, who I think could develop into a rotation guy in the 2nd, here is his tape: ;t=292s
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by jman3134 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:18 am

On Myles Powell, I think he is a complete player who can immediately score at an NBA level:

He can score on multiple levels, can distribute (especially in the pick and roll), and has decent hands.

Scouting report -
Myles Powell – The only player who has seen a higher degree of difficulty on his shot attempts than Phil Booth this season is Seton Hall’s do-it-all lead guard Myles Powell. At 6’2, Powell is a dynamic scoring threat with excellent screen and roll fundamentals and an even deadlier three point shot. In the same vein as former Seton Hall great Jeremy Hazell, Powell is a streaky shooter, who is extremely difficult to contain once he finds a shooting rhythm. While Powell shot a respectable 36.3% from long range this season, this number vastly understates how effective he is with his feet set in rhythm. Much like league-mate Markus Howard, Powell regularly catches fire from long distance and is difficult to contain. He possesses virtually unlimited range and needs very little room to get his shot off. Powell does an excellent job squaring his body to the basket and excels shooting quickly off the dribble. The threat of Powell’s long range shot opens up the rest of his game.

As a result of his shooting prowess, Powell is also dynamic attacking the basket, regularly creating contact and getting to the line. His 5.5 fouls drawn per 40 minutes, good for 5th in the Big East this season, supports this notion. In order to effectively slash to the hoop, Powell sports a solid handle. In addition to his quick first step, Powell employs an effective crossover and change-of-direction spin moves to attack the basket. Much like Booth, Powell possesses good body control at the rim and can finish through contact when met at the summit. His quick righty floater in the lane is extremely effective as well. Additionally, in keeping with his strong pick and roll fundamentals, Myles Powell is effective moving without the ball. He regularly frees himself for open jumpers coming off of screens and will cut to the hoop for easy lay-ins if he is overplayed.

Unlike Booth, Powell is more of a threat facilitating for teammates, particularly in pick-and-roll scenarios, a quality which will intrigue scouts at the next level. He regularly finds cutters and is also effective kicking the ball out to three point shooters. This is supported by his 18.3 Assist Rate, 19th best in the Big East and up from 15.8 a year ago. Importantly, the entire Seton Hall offense has run through Powell all season long, and he is responsible for 31.0% of the team’s shots (54th highest usage by a single player in the country). His solid 54.5% effective field goal % (16th best in the Big East) is thus rather remarkable.

On the defensive side of the ball, Myles Powell had some of the quickest hands in the Big East this season and is also effective at staying in front of his man without fouling. Powell’s 3.22% steals % was 3rd best in the Big East and his 2.53 fouls committed per 40 minutes ranked 11th best in the conference. He sports a low stance and is effective at poking the ball away and deflecting it. With that said, Powell does not have the length to be much of a threat in passing lanes at the next level, but his decent anticipation and fundamentals should enable him to hold his own. All in all, Myles Powell is one of the Big East’s most dynamic offensive weapons and he will eventually get NBA looks when he is eligible for the draft a year from now.

http://jtmbasketball.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-big-easts-trending-prospects.html
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by VCfor3 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:20 am

Edwards, Wiseman, Ball and no trades thus far. I wonder if the Klay injury made trading #2 less appealing.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#10 » by SD2042 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:25 am

jman3134 wrote:Hey guys, have been away for a little bit, but wanted to weigh in on our direction in this draft. As I mentioned previously, I maintain that this is not a great draft, but there is always talent to be found. While this is the least up on prospects I have been in all my years doing this, I like Saddiq Bey, RJ Hampton, Jay Scrubb, and Myles Powell this year.

Additionally, there are several guys we could sign to two-ways out of division 1 - I like these guys as development prospects: Jhonathan Dunn from Southern Nazarene, Brian Halums from Arkansas Fort Smith, Raquan Mitchell from NM Highlands, Jordan Floyd from King(TN), Selom Mawugbe from Azusa Pacific, JJ Culver from Wayland.

First off, good to hear from you.

Yes, this draft is unpredictable and it's anyone's game at this point. I'm expect a lot of moves tonight. As for prospects I like in this draft: James Wiseman, Oneyeka Okongwu, Saddiq Bey, Tyrell Terry, Jalen Smith, Zeke Nnaji, Jahmius Ramsey, and C.J. Ellerby
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by jman3134 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:26 am

Big mistakes not taking Lamelo first. This guy is the complete package.

Really hope we make a trade to pair RJ Hampton with Ja.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#12 » by SD2042 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:27 am

VCfor3 wrote:Edwards, Wiseman, Ball and no trades thus far. I wonder if the Klay injury made trading #2 less appealing.

So far, so good.

As for Klay, I hope his injury is not too serious.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#13 » by VCfor3 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:29 am

So much for Whole Truth's dream of grabbing Patrick Williams late haha. That guy shot up the draft boards lately.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#14 » by SD2042 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:32 am

jman3134 wrote:Big mistakes not taking Lamelo first. This guy is the complete package.

This is a wait and see for Melo. He's a solid playmaker and slasher. He must work on his perimeter shooting, defense, and maturity. Now will he been that difference maker in Charlotte will be the big question during the next few years.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#15 » by SD2042 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:33 am

VCfor3 wrote:So much for Whole Truth's dream of grabbing Patrick Williams late haha. That guy shot up the draft boards lately.

Optimism gets a reality check. lol
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#16 » by VCfor3 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:34 am

jman3134 wrote:Big mistakes not taking Lamelo first. This guy is the complete package.

I don't know if he will end up the complete package, but I felt like he was a pretty obvious 1st pick. Wiseman could be good but center production seems the easiest to replace. Edwards scares the heck out of me with his lack of love for the game.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#17 » by SD2042 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:36 am

VCfor3 wrote:

I don't know if he will end up the complete package, but I felt like he was a pretty obvious 1st pick. Wiseman could be good but center production seems the easiest to replace. Edwards scares the heck out of me with his lack of love for the game.

I'm still thinking that the Warriors will trade Wiseman to a team for some bench depth and perhap a starter in the mix. Only if the deal is right.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#18 » by VCfor3 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:38 am

SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

I'm still thinking that the Warriors will trade Wiseman to a team for some bench depth and perhap a starter in the mix. Only if the deal is right.

Maybe. There was a report it may have been Klay's achilles. If he is done for the year then I think they may keep Wiseman and use him as a trade piece in the future.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by jman3134 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:40 am

Personally, I believe that Wiseman is the most rare talent, and thus should have been the top pick. I agree that there are holes in Ball's game, but they are correctable. I've seen him at his runs with Rico Hines and he just fits in with NBA level talent. His feel for the game is remarkable. He can tweak his form and become a more consistent shooter, and defensive woes can be masked.

To clarify, I think Wiseman was the most rare talent, but Ball will be the best player.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by jman3134 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:42 am

SD2042 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:Hey guys, have been away for a little bit, but wanted to weigh in on our direction in this draft. As I mentioned previously, I maintain that this is not a great draft, but there is always talent to be found. While this is the least up on prospects I have been in all my years doing this, I like Saddiq Bey, RJ Hampton, Jay Scrubb, and Myles Powell this year.

First off, good to hear from you.

Yes, this draft is unpredictable and it's anyone's game at this point. I'm expect a lot of moves tonight. As for prospects I like in this draft: James Wiseman, Oneyeka Okongwu, Saddiq Bey, Tyrell Terry, Jalen Smith, Zeke Nnaji, Jahmius Ramsey, and C.J. Ellerby

You too, SD. I also like Ellerby and Bey. Terry, Ramsey and Nnaji I have not seen enough of. Okongwu is solid - I don't see a star though.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies