ImageImageImage

NBA Draft Day Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,944

Re: NBA Draft Day Thread 

Post#921 » by Nick K » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:27 am

I give us a solid "A" for this draft. Edwards will be an all-star. Mark my words. We get Ricky back. Veteran leadership. I can see us play Towns with D'lo, Rubio, Edwards and (Layman/Hernangomez). They want to go small with ball handlers they now are set.

This should be one fun group.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,359

Post#922 » by younggunsmn » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:48 am

My Grades, hmmm....

1. Edwards
C+
I was a Wiseman fan, I still think he's the better long term pick, although there is no denying Edwards' talent.
I can't watch a highlight video of Edwards without thinking, "man, that's a bad shot" several times.
I hope with NBA coaching and teammates he excels, because if he can become (a great deal more) efficient he has the talent to be a star. Downgraded a half grade because no trade down, and it really sucks to see Wiseman land with the Warriors.
Not a D because worst case for me was Ball with no trade down.

2. Rubio +25+28 for (Johnson) +17
A-
Love to see Rubio back here, love the leadership and intangibles this group sorely lacks.
Question the scheme fit and the roster balance. Going to be interesting to see what kind of rotation they craft around this.
Missed out on a few good F prospects with the trade down, Bey, Nnaji, Achuiwa, Poku.

3. 25+33 for Bolmero
F
I can only surmise NYK took our target and we made a godfather offer to get him.
It's terrible value, which bothers me the most, which I wouldn't mind so much if I thought the player was at least a for sure rotation player.
I get that Euro stats are deflated in comparison, but his shooting is awful. He spent most of his time with the B club.
He's already 20, under contract through 2023. Going to be at least 2 years before he comes over.
The size and passing look nice, but this is quite a project to be spending so much draft capital on.

There were so many 2nd round potential rotation bigs who were instant upgrades to Naz, right up to the end of the round, and we didn't get one because of this trade. That is a disappointment to me.
Not nearly as bad as passing on DeAndre Jordan twice in 08, but I still think its a missed opportunity with zero picks in next year's draft. I think we possibly missed out on a future Jeremi Grant or Montrez Harrell.
And the Clippers grab Oturu with the pick we gave the Knicks, making a rival better.

We are just keeping Evans and Spellman around as salary matching in a trade, and Nowell is unguaranteed and can be cut.
Roster space isnt an issue.
We need to go into the year with more than KAT, Naz, Vanderbilt, and potentially Juancho for 4s and 5's.

4. 28 - Jaden McDaniels
B+
Good value pick because of his potential, SF/PF tweener with length, bounce, and handling/shooting skills.
Questionable motor and needs to put on muscle.
Will need at least a couple of years of development.

I'll give them an overall grade of B-
They had a lot to work with and I don't think we maximized our assets, but we didn't completely Kahn it up either.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#923 » by Jedzz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:50 am

Tyrell Terry to Mavericks looks like a good move for them. I thought it would have made a nice home for JMac.

Memphis got Tillman, that team continuously gets the stout players.

I think MN was never going to snipe Wiseman from Warriors if they stayed put. It seems like MN and Warriors have been working closely on too many things lately to pull such a thing. It felt almost to me as if Wolves were waiting to see if Warriors could sucker someone to trade up to 2 for Wiseman and if that happend then they might snipe him instead and then dangle him for a trade.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#924 » by Jedzz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:06 am

younggunsmn wrote:My Grades, hmmm....

1. Edwards
C+
I was a Wiseman fan, I still think he's the better long term pick, although there is no denying Edwards' talent.
I can't watch a highlight video of Edwards without thinking, "man, that's a bad shot" several times.
I hope with NBA coaching and teammates he excels, because if he can become (a great deal more) efficient he has the talent to be a star. Downgraded a half grade because no trade down, and it really sucks to see Wiseman land with the Warriors.

A-
Love to see Rubio back here, love the leadership and intangibles this group sorely lacks.
Question the scheme fit and the roster balance. Going to be interesting to see what kind of rotation they craft around this.
Missed out on a few good F prospects with the trade down, Bey, Nnaji, Achuiwa, Poku.

3. 25+33 for Bolmero
F
I can only surmise NYK took our target and we made a godfather offer to get him.
It's terrible value, which bothers me the most, which I wouldn't mind so much if I thought the player was at least a for sure rotation player.
I get that Euro stats are deflated in comparison, but his shooting is awful. He spent most of his time with the B club.
He's already 20, under contract through 2023. Going to be at least 2 years before he comes over.
The size and passing look nice, but this is quite a project to be spending so much draft capital on.

There were so many 2nd round potential rotation bigs who were instant upgrades to Naz, right up to the end of the round, and we didn't get one because of this trade. That is a disappointment to me.
Not nearly as bad as passing on DeAndre Jordan twice in 08, but I still think its a missed opportunity with zero picks in next year's draft. I think we possibly missed out on a future Jeremi Grant or Montrez Harrell.
And the Clippers grab Oturu with the pick we gave the Knicks, making a rival better.

We are just keeping Evans and Spellman around as salary matching in a trade, and Nowell is unguaranteed and can be cut.
We need to go into the year with more than KAT, Naz, Vanderbilt, and potentially Juancho for 4s and 5's.

4. 28 - Jaden McDaniels
B+
Good value pick because of his potential, SF/PF tweener with length, bounce, and handling/shooting skills.

They had a lot to work with and I don't think we maximized our assets, but we didn't completely Kahn it up either.

I don't do this often but I'm going to agree with every word. Well done. Rubio/McDaniels helped save this one for me. I also like what others have said about how having Dlo and Rubio to lead the offense can take a ton of pressure away from Edwards and hopefully he can focus on just making open shots and cutting for more.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#925 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:09 am

Jedzz wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:My Grades, hmmm....

1. Edwards
C+

A-

3. 25+33 for Bolmero
F

4. 28 - Jaden McDaniels
B+

I don't do this often but I'm going to agree with every word. Well done. Rubio/McDaniels helped save this one for me. I also like what others have said about how having Dlo and Rubio to lead the offense can take a ton of pressure away from Edwards and hopefully he can focus on just making open shots and cutting for more.

Many believe Bolmaro is going to be flat out great. Other than that I can more or less agree with this assessment.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,792

Post#926 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:14 pm

Killboard wrote:Wolves at 100M with KAT, DLO, Rubio, Edwards, Culver, Okogie, Layman, McDaniels.
Beasley and Juancho have 4M and 3M cap hold.
Reid, Nowell and Vanderbilt 1.5M each unguaranteed.
McLaughlin

That's 111.5, 18M under the tax for Beasley, Juancho, McLaughlin and the MLE or some UFA.

Keep in mind that cap holds go away as guys sign. So that $11.5 million for those five guys isn't set in stone and will increase the team's actual cap space.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#927 » by Dewey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:37 pm

Some things to clean up on Edwards offense with shot selection, but I would key in on defense with him as his pathway to be an all-star.

Wade gave Edwards props... glad it wasn’t JR Rider

Rubio can fit.

Know nothing about McDaniels other than tall skinny potential.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
rulas95
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#928 » by rulas95 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:43 pm

Hi mates!!!

I`m Barcelona supporter too, and I have followed the Bolmaros path since the beggining!

He is a very complete player! The main thing to improve is his shoot! When it improves it will be a very good starter guard and is in the best team to make this, He is under Sarunas Jasikevicius coach that its known like a good development coach.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#929 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:09 pm

rulas95 wrote:Hi mates!!!

I`m Barcelona supporter too, and I have followed the Bolmaros path since the beggining!

He is a very complete player! The main thing to improive is is shoot! When it improves it will be a very good starter guard and is in the best team to make this, He is under Sarunas Jasikevicius coach that its known like a good development coach.

Thanks man. If you’re wrong here...we reserve the right to bring pitch forks and torches to your house and riot
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,383

Post#930 » by shrink » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:15 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Too late for a trade, or was this dead after draft day?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#931 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:01 pm

shrink wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Dead.

The CHR guy has moved on based on his tweets.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,383

Post#932 » by shrink » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:04 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
shrink wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Dead.

The CHR guy has moved on based on his tweets.

Charlotte fans say he’s not the most reliable source either.

Plus, I would assume most of these deals occur on draft night, or not at all, before fans get attached.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#933 » by Killboard » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:26 am

Killboard wrote:Wolves at 100M with KAT, DLO, Rubio, Edwards, Culver, Okogie, Layman, McDaniels.
Beasley and Juancho have 4M and 3M cap hold.
Reid, Nowell and Vanderbilt 1.5M each unguaranteed.
McLaughlin

That's 111.5, 18M under the tax for Beasley, Juancho, McLaughlin and the MLE or some UFA.

Tax is at 132.6 but Wolves also have 600k owed to Aldrich.

That elevates the number to 21M but also have 4M owed to Spellman and Evans.

So 17M available, 24M without Beasley and Juancho cap holds (like Klomp pointed out), and could be a little more if they unload Spellman and Evans without have cut them.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,962

Post#934 » by wolves_89 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:17 am

Read on Twitter

I'm not exactly sure what's going on.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#935 » by shangrila » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:21 am

wolves_89 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'll take the 2nd. Does that mean we never traded the 33? Or did we buy it back or something? Or is the Knicks trade not legal yet for whatever reason, so we need to go through these motions?
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#936 » by Rookie-Mistake » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:29 am

Huh? WTF is going on?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,221

Post#937 » by Calinks » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:35 am

Did the Knicks back out of the Orturu trade? I like the idea of him in LA with his old teammate.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,178

Post#938 » by Neeva » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:49 am

That 2023 second rounder is going to the Knicks, at least their fans are acting like it is.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#939 » by shangrila » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:26 am

Calinks wrote:Did the Knicks back out of the Orturu trade? I like the idea of him in LA with his old teammate.

I think they traded that pick to the Clips on draft night.

Most likely this is all a technicality. Since the 23 for 25+33 trade hasn't gone through yet the Clippers have probably just gone ahead and completed their end, which is this package, and we'll just forward this and Quickley to the Knicks.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#940 » by urinesane » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:58 am

shangrila wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'll take the 2nd. Does that mean we never traded the 33? Or did we buy it back or something? Or is the Knicks trade not legal yet for whatever reason, so we need to go through these motions?

I've been watching a lot of youtube clips the last few months, this one is my FAVORITE song that I've ever I've heard in a highlight video.

I'M HYPED. Looks like he's got an edge to him and takes pride in his defense.

It may be the most entertaining and impressive highlight reel I've watched in years.

Seriously looks like a GREAT guy to have next to KAT. Rubio is going to get him so many easy lobs/dunks.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves