ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 29th Pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors Select: Malachi Flynn

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

scopy
General Manager
And1: 16,421

Re: With the 29th Pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors Select: Malachi Flynn 

Post#281 » by scopy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:55 pm

SurgeIblocka wrote:
al3x1980 wrote:Does this mean FVV is gone ?

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

No it doesn’t. If Fred stays he plays SG anyways. Once Lowry leaves Fred is the lead guard and Flynn would be the backup

Which will be the begininning of endless threads of FVV vs Flynn..... This will be like Calderon vs Ford
Thanks to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,909

Re: With the 29th Pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors Select: Malachi Flynn 

Post#282 » by lolwut » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:59 pm

YogiStewart wrote:hey guys.
having slept on this pick and the 2nd round pick, i've decided that, based on youtube mixes where they only show made baskets, these 2 picks are absolute steals and we won the draft.

But we also missed out on all those other gems who never missed a bucket in their respective Youtube highlights.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Post#283 » by JN » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:05 pm

C_Money wrote:
Tha Cynic wrote:
TheAlchemist wrote:

Almost 40% from the left beyond three. 71% at the rim. 33% at the right beyond the three. Looks like he knows his spots.

Completely sucks at the corner threes though.

The Raptors do an amazing job of developing players' corner 3. I fully expect Flynn to develop into an elite shooter under the Raptors' development plan.

The corner 3 is super easy. I’m surprised its his lowest percentage shot.

In the NBA the corner 3 is easier because its 2 feet closer to the basket. In the NCAA it's the same distance from everywhere, so you will not get the same variances.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,528

Post#284 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:05 pm

Flynn is a good player

I just really don't understand the love of having so many small guards on the floor at once, and then bring in some more small guards off the bench.

In a league where everyone is trying to get length at every position, we go the opposite lol.

Lowry
FVV
Norm
Matt Thomas
TD
Flynn

Like what really scared these off of getting a guard taller than 6'5

In Raptor Ball I Trust
lolwut
General Manager

Post#285 » by lolwut » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:06 pm

Brinbe wrote:This is anything but shortsighted. Lowry is in his mid 30s now. He's only got a few years left. Flynn is 22. This is forward-thinking.

Drafting some big would be the short-term move.

Exactly. Lowry is approaching the twilight of his career. If Flynn turns out to be a good player, then you have 2-3 years of overlap with Lowry to mentor him. Assuming FVV stays, then our future backcourt could potentially be FVV/Flynn for the foreseeable future.

What Masai doesn't want is a situation where your only serviceable PG ends up being FVV and no one else, and you're forced to trade or overpay for another one. In a league that's become more and more guard/perimeter oriented, you want your foundation to be rock solid before looking to add adjacent pieces like bigmen.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#286 » by Indeed » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:10 pm

Psubs wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Indeed wrote:
Upside isn't everything, but not switchable is going to hurt us, as being undersized at both guard spots is a concern.

I understand the draft is weak, and other prospects may not do better, but it is more a win now pick, short sighted. Someone in Maledon would allow us to be more flexible on defense, even he needs another year like Davis to be contributing positively on both end.

Maledon could be out of the league in 5 years for all we know. at 6'5" and not an elite athlete, he doesn't have lateral quickness from what I've seen, not quick either, lacks defensive awareness, not that much verticality either, doesn't close out on shooters,

Sounds like Ntilikina.

That is the assumption on someone would be out of the league because we didn't draft him, right? Is Flynn an elite athlete? And someone like Woodard would have the right size and quickness to play at PF/SF as well.

Please don't dismiss my comment on short sighted win now pick. There are higher ceiling safe pick down there, but our pick is the more NBA ready than upside.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,492

Post#287 » by Duffman100 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:11 pm

Does anyone else see a little Steph Curry in him? Just something about the way he moves.
DreamTeam09
RealGM

Post#288 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:11 pm

lolwut wrote:
having slept on this pick and the 2nd round pick, i've decided that, based on youtube mixes where they only show made baskets, these 2 picks are absolute steals and we won the draft.

But we also missed out on all those other gems who never missed a bucket in their respective Youtube highlights.

Post like this make it seem like we hit on every low pick and actually haven't missed out on legit talent in the past with our later picks.

Ppl are allowed to have trepidation

In Raptor Ball I Trust
lolwut
General Manager

Post#289 » by lolwut » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:12 pm

Psubs wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:the thing with Flynn is that he can come off screens and shoot (vs Fred who is not known to do that) Lets see how that translates to the NBA. It looks like he's got NBA 3pt range on his shot already. he's ready to contribute.

Flynn has a floater which means he'll be able to get into the paint and not get blocked like Fred lol

Sounds like Mike Bibby.

He should also bulk up like Bibby.

gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,193

Post#290 » by gerrit4 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:12 pm

C_Money wrote:
Tha Cynic wrote:
TheAlchemist wrote:

Almost 40% from the left beyond three. 71% at the rim. 33% at the right beyond the three. Looks like he knows his spots.

Completely sucks at the corner threes though.

The Raptors do an amazing job of developing players' corner 3. I fully expect Flynn to develop into an elite shooter under the Raptors' development plan.

The corner 3 is super easy. I’m surprised its his lowest percentage shot.

It looks like a very small sample size. My guess is that he'll see a lot more open corner 3s playing with Fred or Kyle.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,321

Post#291 » by douggood » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:13 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
lolwut wrote:

Post like this make it seem like we hit on every low pick and actually haven't missed out on legit talent in the past with our later picks.

the meltdown on this board when siakam over skal
scopy
General Manager
And1: 16,421

Post#292 » by scopy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:14 pm

TheAlchemist wrote:How the efffff does Masai and team still keep doing this...

holly.

He seems like such a good prospect.. look at his shooting chart;

The indian parent in me is wondering "why all the white circles?"

But yes, I like the look of this chart.
Thanks to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
lolwut
General Manager

Post#293 » by lolwut » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:17 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
lolwut wrote:

That's not what it's meant to infer at all. The point is sometimes fans are right and sometimes they're wrong about draft prospects. When you're right, it's not because you're a superior evaluator of talent. It's because you just got lucky. Otherwise, how do you explain the times where you got it wrong?

Billion-dollar NBA teams have access to more information about draft prospects than some Joe Blow on the internet. That's an indisputable fact. What they do with that information is anyone's guess, though. That's what separates good front offices from bad front offices. However, for a Joe Blow to claim that any front office made a bad decision based on nothing but Youtube clips is just absurd.
DreamTeam09
RealGM

Post#294 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:18 pm

douggood wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
lolwut wrote:But we also missed out on all those other gems who never missed a bucket in their respective Youtube highlights.

the meltdown on this board when siakam over skal

We picked bruno too who isn't even in the league (I was a fan btw)

We also picked D.Daniels who's not in the league

Both those times we missed on players, it goes both ways.

I'm noteven mad at the player, Flynn is a going to be a good pg, it's just the small guard philosophy that we employ that has me in my feelings

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,527

Post#295 » by Syd-TK3 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:21 pm

Zeno wrote:The only thing that makes me uncomfortable about this pick is his name. Of course this is absolutely stupid but Malachi brings to mind Malachi Richardson and Flynn brings to mind Johnny Flynn. So the name represents a double bust to me that is hard to overcome mentally. But everything I'm hearing and seeing about this kid seems good and of course you got to trust this front office.

2 negatives make a positive
We good
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#296 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:22 pm

SurgeIblocka wrote:Desmond Bane was there and we dont have a great SG. That should have been the pick

That's drafting for need which is not a philosophy embraced by many GM's. Most GM's these days subscribe to the philosophy of BPA (best player available)
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,462

Post#297 » by DG88 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:29 pm

;ab_channel=YahooSportsCanada
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,138

Post#298 » by PoundTown » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:33 pm

Psubs wrote:
Yeezus_ wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:the thing with Flynn is that he can come off screens and shoot (vs Fred who is not known to do that) Lets see how that translates to the NBA. It looks like he's got NBA 3pt range on his shot already. he's ready to contribute.

Flynn has a floater which means he'll be able to get into the paint and not get blocked like Fred lol

Sounds like Mike Bibby.

Mike Bibby that plays defense.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,138

Post#299 » by PoundTown » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:36 pm

Psubs wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Indeed wrote:
Upside isn't everything, but not switchable is going to hurt us, as being undersized at both guard spots is a concern.

I understand the draft is weak, and other prospects may not do better, but it is more a win now pick, short sighted. Someone in Maledon would allow us to be more flexible on defense, even he needs another year like Davis to be contributing positively on both end.

Maledon could be out of the league in 5 years for all we know. at 6'5" and not an elite athlete, he doesn't have lateral quickness from what I've seen, not quick either, lacks defensive awareness, not that much verticality either, doesn't close out on shooters,

Sounds like Ntilikina.

Ntilkina plays solid defense, it's his offensive game that is average at best. Actually wouldn't be that bad of an addition to the Raps if we couldn't get Freddy back.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#300 » by RaptorsNorth » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:41 pm

WeTheNorth123 wrote:how do you pass of tyrell terry and theo

im shocked lol

hes good tho
these guys know more about these players than we do. They have inner details that’s not even known to the public. I wasn’t a big fan of the pick at first and that’s because I simply didn’t know much about the guy until I watched some full games and not just highlights. He looks like a solid player with a high basketball IQ.

Sometimes being set on a pick WE LIKE before the draft can cloud our judgement.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:

Return to Toronto Raptors