ImageImageImage

Krawczynski: Timberwolves in talks to trade #17 for Ricky Rubio, #25, and #28

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Re: Krawczynski: Timberwolves in talks to trade #17 for Ricky Rubio, #25, and #28 

Post#61 » by PharmD » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:56 pm

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Re: Krawczynski: Timberwolves in talks to trade #17 for Ricky Rubio, #25, and #28 

Post#62 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:50 pm

PharmD wrote:Image

Out of many great Rubio plays this ones the greatest. His instincts and BBIQ are off the charts.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#63 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:15 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,772

Post#64 » by life_saver » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:29 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

makes sense
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,653

Post#65 » by Shaka_Zulu » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:16 pm

Finally its put his name into writing, was wondering what was taking time. No brainer to opt in to that overpaid contract.

Gonna miss JJ tho.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#66 » by moonpie » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:17 pm

Loved JJ as a veteran mentor, wishing him well
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Klomp » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:27 pm

Pretty impressive, Rosas essentially turned Gorgui Dieng into Ricky Rubio, Leandro Bolmaro and Jaden McDaniels.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#68 » by shrink » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:41 pm

Klomp wrote:Pretty impressive, Rosas essentially turned Gorgui Dieng into Ricky Rubio, Leandro Bolmaro and Jaden McDaniels.

To be fair, that was Gorgui and the #17.

I have Johnson and Rubio as about equal trade value, and the return from OKC’s trade of James Johnson seems to confirm that. It isn’t that Rubio isn’t a much better player than Johnson. It’s that Rubio has a second year at $17.8 mil, in a season where many teams want to conserve cap space for a great free agent class.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Klomp » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:44 pm

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:Pretty impressive, Rosas essentially turned Gorgui Dieng into Ricky Rubio, Leandro Bolmaro and Jaden McDaniels.

I have Johnson and Rubio as about equal trade value, and the return from OKC’s trade of James Johnson seems to confirm that. It isn’t that Rubio isn’t a much better player than Johnson. It’s that Rubio has a second year at $17.8 mil, in a season where many teams want to conserve cap space for a great free agent class.

Good point. But I think swapping Gorgui for Johnson was an understated move. I don't think Dieng would've fetched what Johnson did this week.

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#70 » by shrink » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:03 pm

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:

Good point. But I think swapping Gorgui for Johnson was an understated move. I don't think Dieng would've fetched what Johnson did this week.

You are probably right. I think Johnson was a better fit here, with a greater ability to run and he was said to be a good voice in the clubhouse. But I think Gorgui gets under-rated. When he played for us, the defense was suddenly great, he was shooting 38.3% from three, and averaging 5.6 RB and 7.1 PPG .. in only 16.9 mpg! Double those numbers and you have a very solid starting NBA center. The problem for Gorgui was that he was exclusively a center, so he was never going to get enough minutes with Towns here. I still think he is a better player than JJ, but since he is a center in a league that is so full of them, you are probably right. OKC might not have traded Rubio for Gorgui, because they might have found it too difficult to trade him to a team that needed a center.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#71 » by KGdaBom » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:20 pm

shrink wrote:

JJ is a nice player, but nowhere near the level of Rubio. The only reason we got Ricky is the Thunder wanted to cut salary one year sooner.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,517

Post#72 » by Worm Guts » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:23 pm

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:

I don’t think that trade had anything to do with the quality of player Johnson is.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#73 » by Rookie-Mistake » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:54 pm

Bump.
Now discuss.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,653

Post#74 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:24 am

Rookie-Mistake wrote:Bump.
Now discuss.

If you turn over the ball or miss easy layup just ONE, just ONE more time Ricky...

Spoiler:
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#75 » by Rookie-Mistake » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:56 am

Ahh the optimism when this trade went down
Shaka_Zulu wrote:
Rookie-Mistake wrote:Bump.
Now discuss.

If you turn over the ball or miss easy layup just ONE, just ONE more time Ricky...

Spoiler:

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#76 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:57 am

I posted since last January so many times that it would be nice if they just kept JJ. The team needed someone like him and on so many levels now it seems even more true.

I can't believe Rubio is this bad of a fit in his second run here. When Rubio isn't happy he also doesn't play happy. This move was a mistake on multiple levels.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,299

Post#77 » by winforlose » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:04 am

Jedzz wrote:I posted since last January so many times that it would be nice if they just kept JJ. The team needed someone like him and on so many levels now it seems even more true.

I can't believe Rubio is this bad of a fit in his second run here. When Rubio isn't happy he also doesn't play happy. This move was a mistake on multiple levels.

I said so on draft night and I stand by it today. Ricky isn’t that good. Certainly not worth more than 7 million even with the over inflated NBA salaries. He is barely good enough to be a 2nd string and is a terrible fit with our second string. He cannot score. In fact he is so bad at scoring that other teams rarely guard him. Worse yet, while his help defense is okay, his man defense is below average. Of all the things we could have done to improve this team in the offseason, this was perhaps the dumbest. But hey, at least he isn’t too tall for small ball. Heaven forbid we actually use size to get boards.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves