Image ImageImage Image

OT: COVID-19 thread #3

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#1061 » by Ccwatercraft » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:09 pm

ImSlower wrote:
Dresden wrote:Sorry to hear that you contracted the virus. But glad to hear you're asymptomatic for the most part. Hopefully you won't have any other symptoms other than loss of smell....

Thanks, man. I am "lucky" in that I already am almost completely isolated, and have parents in the area who have been kind enough to drop off groceries outside the door. Doing laundry in my bathtub today was an experience I hope I don't have to suffer again.

I do have a bit of taste - I'd equate it to a very near-sighted person trying to drive without their prescription glasses. I can definitely taste the Gatorade, but only barely. Smell is all but gone. Absolutely bizarre. As I said, food and cooking have been extremely important to me - I've always enjoyed cooking, but have made myself some of the best meals I've ever come up with this year. Nothing wild, but it's nice to know I can generally make a meal as good or better than most takeout. I can't wait for that sense to come back. Hopefully in less than a week. Still no fever or respiratory symptoms, so I am blessed in that regard.

Ccwatercraft wrote:I've heard many times how serious Australia was about addressing covid.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/panic-buying-across-south-australia-as-state-goes-into-lockdown/ar-BB1b749s?pfr=1&c=1926525302346318136&mkt=en-us+

Happen to stumble across this link, not really familiar with the source, but what shocked me a bit was the pictures, mask compliance appears to be shockingly low. I haven't seen compliance that low here in Florida since maybe Mid March and we don't have a mandate. If I walked into a store and saw that many faces without masks I'd walk right back out.

They are behaving much like you yourself were behaving in March, when cases had not hit your region en masse. We have a lot of great Aussie posters here who could probably give their experiences in that country. I have a friend in Melbourne who said the shutdown was taken extremely seriously during their bad outbreak.

Yes, they are behaving in November the way I behaved 8 months ago which is very very odd, that's why the pictures caught me off guard, its weird to see so many without a mask, I haven't seen that in months especially in an article showing people in long lines buying shutdown provisions, its just out of place.

Side note on the Food Discussion, I'm the cook for 90% of our meals and during our shutdown and with my partial work from home situation I was extremely happy to have an opportunity to expand my cooking experiences, try new things and get creative, I've made some great stuff, got heavy into my instapot, picked up an air fryer, also bought a smoker (homemade pastrami is awesome) and i'm almost good enough with my stir fry that I could get hired on as a Hibachi chef as soon as I learn to twirl a spatula for tips, for about 4 months preparing a great meal was something I looked forward to, but the joy of cooking? gone.

As of about 3 weeks ago we've hit a bit of a wall where i'm running out of ideas and more importantly running out of enthusiasm for cooking, I just don't really care anymore. Last nights meal was Taco Bell takeout, ugh, which means I've about hit rock bottom on meal prep. I really need to get back on track but its not looking promising, we never ate out that often, maybe once a week before covid but now its about once every 6 weeks, and I used to eat lunch out at least 4 days a week from work now that's gone, I'm friggen sick of my kitchen.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,426

Post#1062 » by ImSlower » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:15 pm

Agreed, it was a jarring to see. That said, it's very easy for people to simply not care as much as they know they should. I know first hand I should have said "Okay inviting over a bartender is probably a bad idea", but I took that chance. Now I might have to miss Thanksgiving as the only person my parents trusted enough to spend time with. My town's facebook group has blocked all commenting on Covid related updates, as half the town are furious about irresponsible people, and half the people are furious at Pritzker for shutting down suffering small businesses yet again with no talk of financial support. It's just such a terrible damn situation all around. May these vaccines be a godsend next year.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#1063 » by Dresden » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:29 pm

Chuck Grassley, who is in his 80's, and an 87 year old member of the House just tested positive. Hope they make it through ok. They showed a photo of Dianne Feinstein, who is also in her 80's, in the halls of congress talking with people without a mask on. She really ought to know better at her age.
jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 3,014

Post#1064 » by jordanwilliams6 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:53 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:I've heard many times how serious Australia was about addressing covid.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/panic-buying-across-south-australia-as-state-goes-into-lockdown/ar-BB1b749s?pfr=1&c=1926525302346318136&mkt=en-us+

Happen to stumble across this link, not really familiar with the source, but what shocked me a bit was the pictures, mask compliance appears to be shockingly low. I haven't seen compliance that low here in Florida since maybe Mid March and we don't have a mandate. If I walked into a store and saw that many faces without masks I'd walk right back out.

South Australia hasn't had a single Covid case amongst the community for months so masks have not been required and they've been living a normal life. There's been a small outbreak (at this stage) and masks are now mandatory as of today.

In Melbourne masks have been mandatory for months and the compliance is probably 99.9%. I honestly haven't seen anybody not complying.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#1065 » by Mech Engineer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:18 am

It's sad when less, barely populated states like the Dakota have more cases and deaths than densely populated countries like South Korea, Taiwan. It shows the complete failure of leadership, common sense.
t-time
RealGM
And1: 1,793

Post#1066 » by t-time » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:53 am

Here in South Australia we had no community transmission for 7 months until Friday last week.

We are now in full lockdown until next Tuesday. We can’t even go outside for exercise. One person per household is allowed to go out once a day to buy groceries.
bullocks
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#1067 » by bullocks » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:31 pm

ImSlower wrote:My town's facebook group has blocked all commenting on Covid related updates, as half the town are furious about irresponsible people, and half the people are furious at Pritzker for shutting down suffering small businesses yet again with no talk of financial support. It's just such a terrible damn situation all around. May these vaccines be a godsend next year.

Vaccines are unnecessary not only because the the Wuhan flu is similar to the seasonal flu and has a 99% survival rate through ages up to 74 after which it has a 94% survival rate but also because doctors have had success with HCQ. When things don't add up, there are political reasons.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1068 » by Dresden » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:56 pm

Mech Engineer wrote:It's sad when less, barely populated states like the Dakota have more cases and deaths than densely populated countries like South Korea, Taiwan. It shows the complete failure of leadership, common sense.

I think what's happened in the US is that when the pandemic first hit, the more rural parts of the country were not affected at all- it was just NYC, BOS, CA, NO and a few other places- big urban areas mostly. So maybe they started to think they were immune, or that it wasn't real. And then when it finally made it around to those areas, it's going to take awhile for reality to sink in and they start taking the kinds of steps the places that got hit first had to take.
bullocks
Ballboy

Post#1069 » by bullocks » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:56 pm

Dresden wrote:Chuck Grassley, who is in his 80's, and an 87 year old member of the House just tested positive. Hope they make it through ok. They showed a photo of Dianne Feinstein, who is also in her 80's, in the halls of congress talking with people without a mask on. She really ought to know better at her age.

There is no evidence of people dying from the Wuhan flu as the cause of death. There is evidence that being old, AND frail is what puts one at risk.

From the March 24 CDC memo: “COVID-19 should be reported on the death certificate for all decedents where the disease caused or is assumed to have caused or contributed to death.”
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1070 » by Dresden » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:26 pm

bullocks wrote:
Dresden wrote:Chuck Grassley, who is in his 80's, and an 87 year old member of the House just tested positive. Hope they make it through ok. They showed a photo of Dianne Feinstein, who is also in her 80's, in the halls of congress talking with people without a mask on. She really ought to know better at her age.

There is no evidence of people dying from the Wuhan flu as the cause of death. There is evidence that being old, AND frail is what puts one at risk.

From the March 24 CDC memo: “COVID-19 should be reported on the death certificate for all decedents where the disease caused or is assumed to have caused or contributed to death.”

You should tell that to some of the hospital workers who saw 5-10 patients a shift die from Covid.
bullocks
Ballboy

Post#1071 » by bullocks » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:30 pm

Dresden wrote:
bullocks wrote:

You should tell that to some of the hospital workers who saw 5-10 patients a shift die from Covid.

I don't know who these hospital workers are nor do I know whether they're likely to think for themselves or to thoughtlessly follow instructions on how deaths should be coded. I'd rather pay attention my own common sense experience of the so-called pandemic and on information I can find on the internet.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,426

Post#1072 » by ImSlower » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:40 pm

Well, I currently am battling COVID myself. I contracted it because I was irresponsible after months and months of being very careful, and broke social distancing with someone like you who blew it off. Her place of work has had to shut down for a week, so many of their staff contracted COVID, and they've basically no one healthy. One stupid night was all it took, and now I am going to be in an empty apartment for Thanksgiving instead of with my elderly parents. I lost a lifelong friend in NYC to it who was 32 with no PEC. Don't tell me for a damn second that this thing is a myth. One of my closest friends out there couldn't bury his own father during the scariest height of the colossal outbreak there. Off the top of my head I know ten or more people in my life who have lost a parent, spouse, or close friend.

This thing is serious. Your posts disgust me. I'll let someone who isn't emotionally compromised discuss this with you. I hope your basketball opinions are more reasoned and educated than your asinine posts in this thread. Not to worry, I won't see them either, ballboy.
bullocks
Ballboy

Post#1073 » by bullocks » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:44 pm

Apparently it's my fault that the CDC failed to educate me.

CDC recently updated estimated infection fatality rates for COVID. Here are the updated survival rates by age group:

0-19: 99.997%
20-49: 99.98%
50-69: 99.5%
70+: 94.6% https://t.co/9RRLgsBHta

— Ron DeSantis (@GovRonDeSantis) September 23, 2020
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1074 » by Dresden » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:16 am

bullocks wrote:Apparently it's my fault that the CDC failed to educate me.

CDC recently updated estimated infection fatality rates for COVID. Here are the updated survival rates by age group:

I'm guessing you found these numbers here, from an article on that highly trustworthy site, Breitbart News.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/09/25/cdc-data-shows-high-virus-survival-rate-99-plus-for-ages-69-and-younger-94-6-for-older/

Can you refer us to where these numbers can be found on the CDC site?

Secondly, the dangerous thing about this virus is that not only can it be fatal, but it spreads very rapidly. Even in a bad flu year, no more than 50-70K people die in this country. The Corona virus will kill close to 300K this year.
bulls_troy
General Manager
And1: 270

Post#1075 » by bulls_troy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:24 am

t-time wrote:Here in South Australia we had no community transmission for 7 months until Friday last week.

We are now in full lockdown until next Tuesday. We can’t even go outside for exercise. One person per household is allowed to go out once a day to buy groceries.

Well we are coming out of it far earlier now, basically back to pre lockdown come Saturday midnight.

And all because one moron lied. Had he not, we wouldn't of gone into lockdown
Twitter: @bulls_troy
bullocks
Ballboy

Post#1076 » by bullocks » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:28 am

Dresden wrote:
bullocks wrote:Apparently it's my fault that the CDC failed to educate me.

I'm guessing you found these numbers here, from an article on that highly trustworthy site, Breitbart News.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/09/25/cdc-data-shows-high-virus-survival-rate-99-plus-for-ages-69-and-younger-94-6-for-older/

Can you refer us to where these numbers can be found on the CDC site?

Secondly, the dangerous thing about this virus is that not only can it be fatal, but it spreads very rapidly. Even in a bad flu year, no more than 50-70K people die in this country. The Corona virus will kill close to 300K this year.

Here's Ron DeSantis' tweet:
Read on Twitter

Here's the same information from Tallahassee Reports:
https://tallahasseereports.com/2020/09/26/cdc-releases-updated-covid-19-fatality-rate-data/
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,372

Post#1077 » by jnrjr79 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:45 am

jordanwilliams6 wrote:

South Australia hasn't had a single Covid case amongst the community for months so masks have not been required and they've been living a normal life. There's been a small outbreak (at this stage) and masks are now mandatory as of today.

In Melbourne masks have been mandatory for months and the compliance is probably 99.9%. I honestly haven't seen anybody not complying.

We were in Australia on vacation in January. On our way back home, we landed at SFO and there were warnings on the tv monitors in baggage claim about "coronavirus" and I remember thinking "huh, what's coronavirus?" That feels like a million years ago. People asked when we were heading over whether we were worried about the bush fires. It turns out we should have been worried to come home!

Australia has done an awesome job of things. I look at my friends' Instagrams in Perth, and it's like they live in some utopian parallel universe where people can go see friends, have fun, eat at restaurants, go to bars, etc. It's really remarkable to see the contrast.
bullocks
Ballboy

Post#1078 » by bullocks » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:50 am

jnrjr79 wrote:Australia has done an awesome job of things.

Not really. You should look at the lockdown coverage in Australia by Rebel News and Avi Yemini:

https://www.bitchute.com/channel/7709j80rRaNq/

https://www.bitchute.com/channel/aviyemini/
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,372

Post#1079 » by jnrjr79 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:45 am

bullocks wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:Australia has done an awesome job of things.

Not really. You should look at the lockdown coverage in Australia by Rebel News and Avi Yemini:

https://www.bitchute.com/channel/7709j80rRaNq/

https://www.bitchute.com/channel/aviyemini/

Please do everyone a favor and get the FO of here, you weirdo Alex Jones-esque troll.

Smooches.
bullocks
Ballboy

Post#1080 » by bullocks » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:05 am

"On Oct. 7, 2020, during a hastily scheduled virtual meeting,1 four District of Columbia Council members making up the Health Committee2 amended and unanimously passed a minor consent bill, B23-0171.3 The bill would not only permit children aged 11 years and older to give consent for doctors and other vaccine administrators to give them vaccines without their parents’ knowledge or consent, but would also require insurance companies, vaccine administrators and schools to conceal from parents that the child has been vaccinated."

https://thevaccinereaction.org/2020/10/dc-bill-b23-0171-allowing-children-11-years-and-older-to-be-vaccinated-without-parental-knowledge-or-consent-advances/

Return to Chicago Bulls