F - Billy King
No votes

Total votes: 49

76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Lets judge Morey before we should 

Post#1 » by 76thBearCub » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:59 am

I'm curious to know of the approval of yesterdays moves. That would include the 2 trades, Horford and Richardson, and of course the draft.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Re: Lets judge Morey before we should 

Post#2 » by BullyKing » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:06 am

Gave him a B. Had to start off dealing with an almost impossible situation. Neither trade was great but at least he ripped the band-aid off the festering wound that was the Brand Reign of Terror so it could heal.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#3 » by cool93 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:49 am

Horford trade was A+++ in my book. Never imagined we could get rid off that contract so cheaply.
Curry-Rich swap is a B. Is ok, but adding a pick there was a little annoying.
Don't know anything about college players.

So far it's for sure an A. If we can grab some competent PG and find solid backup C, it would stay that way.

Sent from my G3416 using RealGM mobile app
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,508

Post#4 » by 76ciology » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:01 am

B-

We now have a better future.
We will be a way better regular season team.
But we still have the same questions in the playoffs.

I like the moves he made. It took a lot of thought and guts to pull it off.

But for my standards, we’re still not there.

If this is a 3 course meal. This is more like the appetizer.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 183

Post#5 » by UptownPhilly » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:37 am

A all the way. We got rid of Horford’s albatross, without giving up too much. We gave a bit much to get rid of Richardson for a lesser player, but better fit.

Now if we can consolidate Scott and Zhaire into someone useful...

This is just the beginning of what’s to come. Morey’s gonna do something major when we least expect it.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#6 » by 76ciology » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:54 am

Why I thought Morey’s move on draft night were well thought off..

Maxey
- from what ive read, the reason why he didnt went to lotto was that many questions his handles to be a primary ball handler and his poor numbers. I heard that he could be a better prospect if he is playing a alongside a more dominant guard like CP3, Ben or Harden.

Seth
- He was good with the Mavs last season. He can be a lot better for us this season. He can make that jump JJ did when he played for us when Jj was 3 years older.

Horford trade
- Green should provide whatever contribution Horford will give us with our team’s new direction.
- Green was undervalued due to recency bias when he went through a slump during the bubble. You have to understand that the schedule was unprecedented so it may have threw Green off his rhythm
- we lose a 1st round pick, on the season when Ben and Biid will be on their peak. Ben maybe shooting like Kevin Durant by then. ...with the Rockets :lol:
- another thing is we buy low on ferguson. Say we didn’t underperform last season, we should be drafting in the late first round and those guys are in the same tier of ferguson, who is a buy low candidate because he went through some off the court issues last season.
- the Horford trade frees up cap space for MLE and other XYZLEs that Morey is confident they can get a good player given Doc’s recruiting skills
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#7 » by TTP » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:01 am

A for sure.

It's nice to have a GM that looks at lineup data and values high impact players. Our roster looks very flexible now and I like the archetypes of the prospects we drafted. Most importantly, he revived a demoralized fanbase and brought us hope that is sorely needed in the current health and political climate. I have supreme confidence in Morey going forward.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#8 » by Kolkmania » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:39 am

A or B for me. Realistically these trades are all marginal improvement in order to create a roster that makes sense. Would have thought that dumping Horford would require more, Curry for Richardson and high 2nd round pick is fair value and win-win for both parties.

We are still nowhere near a realistic chance of a championship, but at least there's revived excitement around this team.

No clear cut A+ for me because that's reserved for acquiring a competent PG. Would have loved Paul, but a decent 2022 1st round pick, Oubre, Rubio and Jerome is a steep price to match, so can't blame Morey for passing.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 725

Post#9 » by Lou_23 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:02 am

B, good job.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#10 » by kriss73 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:13 am

It's a little too early, but I give him a B + so far.

I see the two trades in this way:

- Horford, 1st 2025, #34 and #36 for Green and Ferg.
- JRich for S.Curry

I add the pick spent for Curry in the Horford deal so the two trades are more balanced in my view.

The first trade is good for us for four reasons:

- we acquire a player playable with Ben AND Joel for a player that is not
- we acquire 2 expiring contracts that could be useful for another trade before this year deadline
- we acquire a useful trade excepion as large as the full MLE (which we dont'have currently)
- we have yet 2 first round picks in the next 4 years to eventually spend in a trade.

The downsides are:

- we gave up the more talented player
- the 2025 pick could be dangerous: no one is under contract that far...neither Morey and Doc.

I gave it a B+ (A in the Reality)

The second trade is good for us because:

- we swap an expiring contract with a cost controlled one (less than the full MLE for 3 years)
- we swap defense with much needed shooting

the downsides are:

- we gave up the overall better and younger player
- if you consider the #36 pick in this trade (as happened in the reality) the price is maybe a little steep

I gave it a B+ (B- in the reality)

Nice job in the draft.
It's an A for me.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#11 » by Kobblehead » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:59 pm

C+ or so.

I'm glad he realized that Josh Richardson is overrated and dumped him, but I'm baffled that we attached a premier 2nd round pick to do so. Identifying Seth Curry as an important piece for the team is extremely weird to me, as well. I'll grade this trade a D.

Moving on from Horford was the right decision to make. Having to attach draft capital to do so sucks, but getting back Danny Green helps ease that pain. B+

In terms of the draft, coming away with a shotcreater (Maxey) and a defensive player (Reed) makes it a quality night, in my eyes. Do I think there were better players on the board when we were selecting? Yes, but that's always going to be the case. B
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#12 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:21 am

I gave it an A.

That Horford contract is down right hideous. And we got a useful wing on an expiring deal, and protected the out there pick enough to make sure we don't miss out on can't miss elite talent.

The value on the Richarson Curry deal felt off to me. But the fit and contract situations make up for it, and then some.

I don't know crap about the draft but I love the stuff I've seen and read about the guys we got (said every fan of an NBA team about every pick ever).
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,794

Post#13 » by HotelVitale » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:25 am

Kobblehead wrote:C+ or so. I'm glad he realized that Josh Richardson is overrated and dumped him, but I'm baffled that we attached a premier 2nd round pick to do so. Identifying Seth Curry as an important piece for the team is extremely weird to me, as well. I'll grade this trade a D.

I didn't like attaching the 2nd either but does Seth Curry's contract not doing anything for you? I don't see them pulling in a cheaper very reliable shooter that's ready to play right now any other way, so I thought it was reasonable. Thought it was at least a C/C+ deal. (I also think most of the NBA saw J Rich clearly, Mavs were one of few teams that really needed him warts and all.)
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#14 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:45 am

HotelVitale wrote:I didn't like attaching the 2nd either but does Seth Curry's contract not doing anything for you? I don't see them pulling in a cheaper very reliable shooter that's ready to play right now any other way, so I thought it was reasonable. Thought it was at least a C/C+ deal. (I also think most of the NBA saw J Rich clearly, Mavs were one of few teams that really needed him warts and all.)

The contract is great, I just don't value that shooting trait or what Seth brings to the table.

I just see a 6'2" 180 pounder that can't dribble and will get abused mercilessly on the defensive end in playoff games. He just doesn't provide my idea of playoff value.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#15 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:52 am

Kobblehead wrote:C+ or so.

I'm glad he realized that Josh Richardson is overrated and dumped him, but I'm baffled that we attached a premier 2nd round pick to do so. Identifying Seth Curry as an important piece for the team is extremely weird to me, as well. I'll grade this trade a D.

Moving on from Horford was the right decision to make. Having to attach draft capital to do so sucks, but getting back Danny Green helps ease that pain. B+

In terms of the draft, coming away with a shotcreater (Maxey) and a defensive player (Reed) makes it a quality night, in my eyes. Do I think there were better players on the board when we were selecting? Yes, but that's always going to be the case. B

I actually love the Seth deal the most so far. It’s one of the smartest move since the process IMO.

I see Seth like Jj. When by itself it is average. But if he plays with Biid and Ben, he can be special. Biid can mask his defense while Ben can get him the ball to shoot 3s. We’ve seen how good Jj-Biid-Ben trio was. Arguably the bigger hole than whatever Butler brought.

Seth is also really cheap. Given how cheap he is, once he averaged to atleast 15ppg on good %s, he will be a steal.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#16 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:59 am

I'll have a lot of fun watching him rain regular season threes and improve the spacing to make the product fun to watch.

I just don't see how he helps us in the playoffs with his no-defense, no-creating game.

I thought of Redick in regard to Curry, as well. But in the negative light. I just remember how much opposing ball handlers switched onto and abused him in those Celtics and Raptors series.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,111

Post#17 » by eyeatoma » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:46 am

Kobblehead wrote:I'll have a lot of fun watching him rain regular season threes and improve the spacing to make the product fun to watch.

I just don't see how he helps us in the playoffs with his no-defense, no-creating game.

I thought of Redick in regard to Curry, as well. But in the negative light. I just remember how much opposing ball handlers switched onto and abused him in those Celtics and Raptors series.
In the Raptors series Redick heald his own.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#18 » by Black Mage » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:21 am

I honestly have no idea what some of you malcontents would need to grade him as an A.

He came into a roster that was broken and capped out and with limited assets available to try and get out of it.

Al Horford was old and busted last year. He missed 21 games, most ever in the last 5 years; and, even with 5 months to rest to heal up, he came back into the bubble still looking old and busted. He didn't show any of his low post stalwart defense and got pushed around. He lost even more burst and it resulted in bunny after bunny going short at the rim.

Josh Richardson was a walking mash unit. He missed nearly 30 games. His defensive metrics and eye-ball test all left a lot to be desired and that was supposed to be his calling card. He showed none of the grit and grind on defense that he displayed in Miami. He got exposed as an awful secondary play maker as he lacked handle, awareness and ability to get to the rim or draw a foul (drawing fouls being a weakness his entire career).

Morey literally flipped 27mil per year into 2 expirings, one of which actually, Green, has 15 mil expiring which would be a valuable trade chip in a deadline deal where we'd need to make salaries match. The 2025 pick is protected so if Ben leaves and Joel's health fails we're at least getting a shot to keep it. Otherwise, presuming their both back the pick shouldn't be that valuable. That's a massive win to get rid of the contract without taking back another albatross deal or long-term deals that you can't get off of.

Richardson's deal while not perfect, did what we needed most. It brought in the best shooter in the league who can actually handle the ball and run the offense for short stretches. It also gave us another immensely valuable contract as Seth is grossly underpaid at just $8mil and would be a desirable cost controlled contract if we made a future move.

Draft wise, there was nothing Morey did that was out of the ordinary or a headscratcher.

Before draft day every single one of us on this board were disinterested and held no hope for this team if the roster remained the same. Morey not only got us out of the hole we were in, but he's set the team into position for future moves as they are needed to flesh out the roster into a playoff caliber level. That's amazing given he didn't even mortgage the future to do it. Some of you need to be realistic in what you think could have happened if you graded this as a B or lower so far.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers