ImageImageImageImageImage

Admiral Schofield

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Re: Admiral Schofield 

Post#81 » by BearlyBallin » Fri Jan 3, 2020 5:50 am

payitforward wrote:Alas, Admiral has slid seriously in his last several games, proving to be exceedingly non-productive. He needs to go back down to the GoGo's, get some consistent pt, & work on his game.

If I recall correctly he rolled his ankle about the same time as he began to decline. I’m wondering if he’s trying to play through an injury.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,323

Post#82 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 2:02 pm

payitforward wrote:Alas, Admiral has slid seriously in his last several games, proving to be exceedingly non-productive. He needs to go back down to the GoGo's, get some consistent pt, & work on his game.

He played a total of 70 minutes in the last 6 games. In those 70 minutes, he has made just 1 of 13 shots while tabulating just 6 rebounds, 3 assists (and 3 turnovers and 9 fouls).

I'm not sure if it's that the Scouting Report came out. Or it's merely that he had a couple of bad shooting nights that led to Brooks cutting his minutes. There's also the return of McRae and the acquisition of Williams eating into his minutes.

I guess Brooks figured if he's not going to get any scoring from that position, he may as well play Williams who at least grabs 10 boards per 36 and doesn't miss shots or turn the ball over (because he doesn't touch the ball).
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#83 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:07 pm

nate33 wrote:

He played a total of 70 minutes in the last 6 games. In those 70 minutes, he has made just 1 of 13 shots while tabulating just 6 rebounds, 3 assists (and 3 turnovers and 9 fouls).

I'm not sure if it's that the Scouting Report came out. Or it's merely that he had a couple of bad shooting nights that led to Brooks cutting his minutes. There's also the return of McRae and the acquisition of Williams eating into his minutes.

I guess Brooks figured if he's not going to get any scoring from that position, he may as well play Williams who at least grabs 10 boards per 36 and doesn't miss shots or turn the ball over (because he doesn't touch the ball).

I noticed he's looked uncomfortable taking corner 3's. Makes me wonder if it's best to find what spots he does feel comfortable taking 3's and taylor the offense a bit when he's in so that he's shooting from his more comfortable spots. Then again, that's something that would eventually get scouted out.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,528

Post#84 » by closg00 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:57 pm

Admiral, at-home in the G-League, but has yet to show (like Garrison) that he can hang with the big boys, disappointed.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#85 » by BearlyBallin » Mon Jan 6, 2020 9:08 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

He’s looking healthier & may get more minutes tonight vs Boston. No Williams, Rui & Bertans out and Bonga tends to get into foul trouble early when he starts. (Although he stayed in and played with 2 fouls early last time he started.)
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#86 » by trast66 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:06 am

Well this pick and contract was a bit of a stumble, minor though it is. At least admitted mistake and moved on.

Washington acquired Jonathon Simmons and Philadelphia's second-round pick (No. 42 - Admiral Schofield)
Philadelphia acquired cash considerations

Signed 3-yr $4.1MM contract Sunday, July 14, 2019.

Oklahoma City acquired Admiral Schofield and the draft rights to Vít Krejčí
Washington acquired the draft rights to Cassius Winston (selected 53rd overall) and a 2024 second-round pick
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#87 » by prime1time » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:16 am

Devastating that we didn't draft Bol Bol
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#88 » by TGW » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:51 am

It didn’t take jerry west to tell that guy is not an NBA caliber player. The hell was Shepperd thinking...
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,356

Post#89 » by doclinkin » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:18 am

He's got good character.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#90 » by gambitx777 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:34 am

It wasn't a bad pick . But, sheo is building a team around high character guys. He didn't work out you move on.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#91 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:49 am

trast66 wrote:Well this pick and contract was a bit of a stumble, minor though it is. At least admitted mistake and moved on.

Washington acquired Jonathon Simmons and Philadelphia's second-round pick (No. 42 - Admiral Schofield)

Washington acquired the draft rights to Cassius Winston (selected 53rd overall) and a 2024 second-round pick

If you're a Tommy Shepard fan, you rationalize this by saying - Tommy got us a free 2024 2nd round pick. :dontknow:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
closg00
RealGM

Post#92 » by closg00 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:59 pm

prime1time wrote:Devastating that we didn't draft Bol Bol

Word, Bol could actually have gotten minutes with us next season
Coach76
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#93 » by Coach76 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:22 pm

Glad they cut bait early instead of wasting time hoping he'd learn how to shoot.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#94 » by keynote » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:18 am

And now he's been waived by the Thunder. I figure he might try to stay in the G League and chase his dream a little longer, but he probably needs to install Duolingo on his phone sooner than later.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#95 » by payitforward » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:37 pm

Ruzious wrote:
trast66 wrote:Well this pick and contract was a bit of a stumble, minor though it is. At least admitted mistake and moved on.

If you're a Tommy Shepard fan, you rationalize this by saying - Tommy got us a free 2024 2nd round pick. :dontknow:

Missed this.

Tommy didn't get us a free 2024 R2 pick, he traded the #37 pick this year & the guy picked with the #42 pick last year for the #53 pick this year OKC's 2024 R2 pick, which I speculate will be a low one. That's giving more value for less value overall.

Tommy did this, because he needed to get rid of his really amateurish error with Schofield. The "amateurish error with Schofield" was not that he picked him (tho I thought that made no sense at all!) but that he gave him a guaranteed second year! Why? We owned the rights to Schofield! That was plain ridiculous....

Had he not done this egregiously foolish thing, he would have been able to trade UP rather than down w/ #37 & get Tillman (which Memphis did, using their #40 & a future R2 pick). IOW, the mistake turned out to be quite costly.

Even if Memphis had beaten him to that punch, he could at least have gotten more for the #37 than the #53 & a low pick 4 years from now -- e.g. 2 picks in the 40's of this year's draft.

We would have another prospect (one of the series of promising guys taken mid=R2 in this deep draft) plus Winston.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
closg00
RealGM

Post#96 » by closg00 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:10 pm

payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Missed this.

Tommy didn't get us a free 2024 R2 pick, he traded the #37 pick this year & the guy picked with the #42 pick last year for the #53 pick this year OKC's 2024 R2 pick, which I speculate will be a low one. That's giving more value for less value overall.

Tommy did this, because he needed to get rid of his really amateurish error with Schofield. The "amateurish error with Schofield" was not that he picked him (tho I thought that made no sense at all!) but that he gave him a guaranteed second year! Why? We owned the rights to Schofield! That was plain ridiculous....

Had he not done this egregiously foolish thing, he would have been able to trade UP rather than down w/ #37 & get Tillman (which Memphis did, using their #40 & a future R2 pick). IOW, the mistake turned out to be quite costly.

Even if Memphis had beaten him to that punch, he could at least have gotten more for the #37 than the #53 & a low pick 4 years from now -- e.g. 2 picks in the 40's of this year's draft.

We would have another prospect (one of the series of promising guys taken mid=R2 in this deep draft) plus Winston.

That's a fine move if you have a basis for locking-up a player on-the-cheap like the Kings did with DaQuan Jeffries, but Tommy did not, he locked him up early before observing him in NBA games. This is not the kind of mistake you would expect from someone who has been in an FO for 2 decades..even if it's a small contract.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#97 » by TGW » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:12 pm

gambitx777 wrote:It wasn't a bad pick . But, sheo is building a team around high character guys. He didn't work out you move on.

Wrong. It was a bad pick, and Sheppard should get flamed for it.

There were several solid prospects that were drafted after Schofield who are going to be rotational pieces this year. I saw Bol Bol look great the other night. Horton Tucker has been a beast all preseason, and is going to be a rotational piece for a championship team this year. Kyle Guy has also been killing it.

This casual dismissal of failures is why the Wizards are perpetual losers every year.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#98 » by gambitx777 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:41 pm

How many chamion ship teams pick second round picks that never pan out? Tons, not one person gave too shots about horton tucker on draft night . No one. That's hind sight also I talked about trading for him last year and not one person was like yeah do it. Hind sight is 2020. I wouldn't have minded boo bol but you also can understand why every other gm in the league passed on the kid once if not twice. If you wif on a top 5 pick yes flame him to death. If you wif on a second meh ok should have taken someone else but I'm not gonna hang the guy for it.
TGW wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:It wasn't a bad pick . But, sheo is building a team around high character guys. He didn't work out you move on.

Wrong. It was a bad pick, and Sheppard should get flamed for it.

There were several solid prospects that were drafted after Schofield who are going to be rotational pieces this year. I saw Bol Bol look great the other night. Horton Tucker has been a beast all preseason, and is going to be a rotational piece for a championship team this year. Kyle Guy has also been killing it.

This casual dismissal of failures is why the Wizards are perpetual losers every year.

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,323

Post#99 » by nate33 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:44 pm

I was fine with the pick. Picking that late, it's a crapshoot. PIF is absolutely right in his criticism about the contract Sheppard allowed Schofield to sign. That was inexcusable. Guys picked later than #40 should only sign 3-year deals with Year 2 and Year 3 being team options.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#100 » by payitforward » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:57 pm

closg00 wrote:
payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:If you're a Tommy Shepard fan, you rationalize this by saying - Tommy got us a free 2024 2nd round pick. :dontknow:

Missed this.

That's a fine move if you have a basis for locking-up a player on-the-cheap like the Kings did with DaQuan Jeffries, but Tommy did not, he locked him up early before observing him in NBA games. This is not the kind of mistake you would expect from someone who has been in an FO for 2 decades..even if it's a small contract.

Agree, that's why Icalled it "amateurish." Plus -- even if you want to lock a guy up on the cheap -- you don't have to guarantee his 2d year. A team option does the trick. It's always possible you'll have reason to change your mind.

OTOH, it's nice for Admiral Schofield! He's 23 & has earned $2.5m. Heavily taxed to be sure, but if he invests wisely he's got a heck of a start on his financial life!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards