Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Re: 2020-21 roster thread 

Post#21 » by clyde21 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:07 am

azwfan wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:Looks like getting ready for next generation future Warriors roster.

Would acquire talent and worry less about fit. The Warriors have been trying to acquire clones of the originals to fit their system, but that hasn’t worked out the best.

that's because there are no clones to guys like Steph, Iggy, Dray

i will say tho Nico is probably the closest guy to Steph stylistically we've seen on this team, let's see how much he absorbs from Steph in the next couple of years.

In the small clips ive seen of Nico, he looks aggressive, strong, tough, and has a nice shooting stroke. Ive heard he forced some shots and had a lot of turnovers so not sure about his bball iq.

I know he’s got Ted Ginn Jr arms, but how is his defense?

he's not a defensive stopper by any stretch but he's stronger than he looks, tries hard and has decent BBIQ.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 828

Post#22 » by marthafokker » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:23 am

Wiseman needs to be a closer. That speed and length will close most of the lane. I am happy to stop seeing so many dunks on Dubbs last tanking season.

Imagine a more skilled DeAndre Jordan at this point. And he is the best FT-ing center in forever for the Dubbs. So he can't be fouled on purpose.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#23 » by jamesnamida » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:40 am

I love our center rotation tho, wiseman/chriss/looney.
ClutchUp
Junior
And1: 121

Post#24 » by ClutchUp » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:53 am

What do you do with Smailagic? Nothing against the kid but he's super raw and taking up a roster spot that would be more useful for a vet.

Ideally you would rather have him on a two way deal.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#25 » by Mylie10 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:22 am

You wanna legit pro go get Rose

You wanna legit shooter McDermott 44% from 3, and has a great off ball game

You want defense at the point guard spot, Beverly

You want a dog, go get Tucker
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
freypies
Junior
And1: 120

Post#26 » by freypies » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:57 am

Dream non-Harden scenario for me if possible:

Get Tucker for Looney, Poole, Smiley + 2 SRPs (I could also replace Poole for Paschall or Chriss but then I'd not give picks)

Get Gallinari DPE
Get Gasol MLE
Get MCW with vet min
Get Bazemore with vet min

Steph - MCW - Mannion
Wiggins - Lee - Mulder
Oubre - Gallinari - Bazemore
Draymond - Tucker - Paschall
Gasol - Wiseman - Chriss

That would be an extremely deep team, and very dynamic with tons of play-style possibilities.

A spacing small-ball lineup with:
Steph, Mulder/Lee, Tucker, Gallinari, Draymond

Pacy and athletic with:
Steph, Wiggins, Oubre, Draymond, Wiseman

A smart, veteran lineup w/ Gasol as defensive anchor:
Steph/Gallinari/Tucker/Draymond/Gasol

Small ball variations:
Steph/Wiggins/Oubre/Tucker/Draymond
Steph/Wiggins/Oubre/Gallinari/Draymond
Albo
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#27 » by Albo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:01 pm

JTA and Mannion will be TWs

We need to bring in another wing that can facilate (Evan Turner) and another 3/4 6-8 big guy Jeff Green?

Curry/Poole/Bowman
Wiggins/Lee/Mulder
Oubre Jr/Turner/J.Green
Green/Pascall/Smailegic
Wiseman/Chriss/Looney
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 349

Post#28 » by weekend_warrior » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:16 pm

Albo wrote:JTA and Mannion will be TWs

We need to bring in another wing that can facilate (Evan Turner) and another 3/4 6-8 big guy Jeff Green?

Curry/Poole/Bowman
Wiggins/Lee/Mulder
Oubre Jr/Turner/J.Green
Green/Pascall/Smailegic
Wiseman/Chriss/Looney

I don't think we should bring in more non-shooters on the wing position. There are enough players who can handle the ball but not enough 3p shooting. I would bring back GR3 for the minimum and try to find another good spot-up shooter for the wings. Maybe replace Bowman with another reliable rotation guy... Unless they expect Bowman to still make a big step forward.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#29 » by ChuckDurn » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:12 pm

weekend_warrior wrote:
Albo wrote:JTA and Mannion will be TWs

Curry/Poole/Bowman
Wiggins/Lee/Mulder
Oubre Jr/Turner/J.Green
Green/Pascall/Smailegic
Wiseman/Chriss/Looney

I don't think we should bring in more non-shooters on the wing position. There are enough players who can handle the ball but not enough 3p shooting. I would bring back GR3 for the minimum and try to find another good spot-up shooter for the wings. Maybe replace Bowman with another reliable rotation guy... Unless they expect Bowman to still make a big step forward.

I agree that we need another shooter with more experience on the wing (I’d be delighted with GR3 being back), but I do think we need another guy who can create offense for others, unless we’re expecting Poole to take a big step up, or for Mannion to come in and surprise us. While some of the other guys can handle the ball, the only one who’s proven he can actually run an offense and create for others is Curry, and to a lesser extent Draymond (it becomes very specific / stilted when Draymond does). I’d really be trying to figure out whether they think Poole can assume that role, but if not, getting a creator would be the second priority for me (after another wing shooter).
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#30 » by Money_ » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:20 pm

what about Ellington?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#31 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:42 pm

The Warriors specifically said they wanted to get younger and develop depth from young guys, but I keep seeing people wanting to give up on the young guys for vets.

Poole was supposedly one of the best players in the dubble.

The Cohan Warriors always seemed to give up on players too quick and they'd do better elsewhere, then they'd keep the ones who were not winning players for too long.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#32 » by Warriors Analyst » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:20 pm

The priority for this team has to be shooting. Right now we have one of the worst shooting starting 5's in basketball. Wiggins, Oubre, and Draymond, have all shot sub 35% from three in the last few years. Assuming Wiseman starts, it's very unlikely he's shooting 35% from three right out the gate. Oubre will probably see his 3 point percentage bump up a bit -- his shot is quite pretty and it looks like his feet are the problem, unlike Wiggins whose spin is all messed up. I think Wiggins probably shoots 35% from three. I was hoping 37% -- league average -- would be in play with Klay starting and spacing the floor, but I think Wiggins won't get the same amount of completely wide open looks. I'll be happy if Draymond shoots 33% from three, which is just sad.

Joe Harris would be the dream get for the DPE. Highly doubt that's viable, but it's worth a look. I've seen Gallo and Bertans thrown out there possibilities. I'm into that, but I'm also skeptical that happens. Assuming all of those guys are out of our price range, I've seen some people mention PJ Tucker as a possible get because Houston wants to cut salary. I'm all in favor of that. I actually think that if we got Tucker, it would create less of a need for us to get a traditional C, which means we could keep Looney, who I'm assuming gets traded to balance the roster. If we can't get Tucker, JaMychal Green would be a dream. Very similar type of player who can play the small ball 5 and credibly shoot the 3. Also the type of guy that would diminish the need for a traditional 5. If we do get a 5 like Baynes or Gasol in free agency, I'm assuming that Looney gets traded, which would be a big bummer.

I'm operating under the assumption GRIII comes back on a minimum deal. Totally ok with that. He gave us identical statistical production as Harrison Barnes did. Some other potentially gettable shooters in free agency: Langston Galloway and E'Tuan Moore. I don't think either of them gets the MLE and both of them are nice combo guards who can shoot and have experience guarding up to the 3. Still leaves us without a true back-up PG. I want nothing to with Dunn or Shaq Harrison or MCW. The last thing this team needs is more non-shooters. I'm also not wild about having a small guard like Teague who can't play next to Steph. Austin Rivers, lamentably, is probably our best possible get as a back-up PG, or maybe George Hill the DPE, but he's 35 and really showed his age in the bubble.

But for now the roster is:

Curry / Poole / Bowman / Mannion
Oubre / Lee / Mulder
Wiggins
Green / Paschall / JTA
Wiseman / Chriss / Looney

and our wasted roster spot: Smailagic. I'd assume Mannion and JTA get two-ways. I'm not sure Bowman sticks around, but I actually kind of am curious to see if his shooting can tick up, because if it would, you've got a 10 year vet.

But if we go the route of Tucker / Green, we can keep Looney and go into the season with something like this:

Steph / Rivers (or Hill) / Poole
Oubre / Lee / Mulder
Wiggins / GRIII / Lee
Green / Tucker (or JM Green) / Paschall
Wiseman / Chriss / Looney / Tucker/Dray

If we pick up Baynes, we can free up the DPE for a wing, maybe someone like Doug McDermott who can really shoot?

Steph / Rivers / Poole
Oubre / Lee / Mulder
Wiggins / McDermott / GRIII
Green / Paschall / JTA
Wiseman / Baynes / Chriss
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#33 » by Little Digger » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:22 pm

Mylie10 wrote:You wanna legit pro go get Rose

you need a raise
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#34 » by TB » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:27 pm

Barring a crazy trade, i'd be happy with Lacob just continuing to spend that money by bringing in:
D Rose with the DPE
GR3 or Wes Mathews with either part of MLE or a vet min

Steph / Rose / Mannion
Wiggins / Poole / Bowman
Oubre / GR3 / Lee
Dray / Paschall / Smiley
Wiseman / Chriss / Looney

It's not what we were hoping for this year, but at least it gives us a shot. Would be relying on:
1) health of core players. Goes without saying, but it will get ugly if Steph/Dray miss time.
2) need players that have shot 35% from 3 to get to that number again. Wiggins, Oubre, Dray i'm looking at you. And Paschall and Poole hopefully improving.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#35 » by Hopper15 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:00 pm

PG - Curry/FA
SG - Wiggins/FA/Poole/Lee/(Thompson)
SF - Oubre/DPE
PF - Green/Paschall
C - Wiseman/Chriss/Looney
SCW - Smailagic
2-way - Toscano-Anderson/Mannion/Mulder/Bowman
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#36 » by Mylie10 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:10 pm

Little Digger wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:You wanna legit pro go get Rose

you need a raise

I feel like I need a direct line to the front office lol.

They even looked into Reddick before they got Oubre lol.

I think Derrick Rose is coming here
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,041

Post#37 » by The-Power » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:25 pm

I like the mention of George Hill. Some Bucks fans have said he's done but he could be the kind of good shooting veteran presence that we could use in a combo guard.

Also, note that Bob Myers gave a special shout-out to Rose as one of the two supposedly universally liked players around the league along with Klay. Probably means nothing but interesting nonetheless.

We did a great job fixing our lack of good-sized wings since we traded for Russell by adding Wiggins and Oubre. Oubre is really going to help us defensively and he can score on offense reasonably well. Wiggins, well, let's say there's some hope left for his defense but he'll have to prove that he can be a positive defender for more than a few possessions. Let's see if he can fit well on offense – he'll have to shoot and move without the ball better for sure.

We also lacked size in the middle and drafted Wiseman, exactly the kind of guy that is going to give you at least one thing: size and length in the middle. Maybe we could add another bigger player but it's not the highest priority anymore.

What we do need indeed are wing players, who don't have to be SF-sized, who can shoot well and play good enough defense to stay on the floor. I still believe Poole will help us as he's bound to improve his shooting numbers and has shown that he can play decent defense against Guards. But with Klay out, we really need more help from that position – someone who we know can give us good shooting and good-enough defense, not someone for whom we have to rely on hope.

What I do like is that there's at least a chance that we'll become a defense-first team next year after some time. A lot depends on how quickly Wiseman can adapt, but also on how much Dray has left (especially in the RS) as an anchor and whether or not Wiggins cares enough to be at least average (last year with us was a solid start, but let's see how that goes from here on out). Oubre is a positive defender who can switch and has length plus athleticism, so that's good. If we can get some more reliable shooting and some depth, that should be an above average to good team on both ends assuming they can find their chemistry quickly. Plus we should be fun in transition.

edit: But Kerr, Curry and Green better teach the kids how to move the ball (and move without the ball) properly and consistently. Oubre, Wiggins and Wiseman aren't exactly knows as players who naturally know how to (or want to) move the ball (and to a lesser extent their bodies). Kerr's system requires players to make reads and react to defensive coverage; that's going to be a challenge this year.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Post#38 » by zimpy27 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:33 pm

clyde21 wrote:starting 5 heading into the season right now:

Stephen Curry
Andrew Wiggins
Kelly Oubre
Draymond Green
James Wiseman

who rounds out the top 8? Paschall, Chriss and Lee?

It might be overly simplistic but the great GSW teams pre-Durant were 40%+ from 3 as a team. The GSW teams with Durant were 38%+ from 3 as a team. Last year th GSW team were 33% from 3 as a team.

What 3% do you expect the team above to have? Looking like Steph at 40% and the rest of the team will be like 31%..
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
clyde21
RealGM

Post#39 » by clyde21 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:46 pm

ClutchUp wrote:What do you do with Smailagic? Nothing against the kid but he's super raw and taking up a roster spot that would be more useful for a vet.

Ideally you would rather have him on a two way deal.

i wouldn't give up Smiley, love what I saw from him last year, I have no problem keeping him on the roster and giving him garbage time minutes at the 4/5...someone is gotta play those minutes might as well be a guy like Smiley.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#40 » by clyde21 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:50 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:starting 5 heading into the season right now:

Stephen Curry
Andrew Wiggins
Kelly Oubre
Draymond Green
James Wiseman

who rounds out the top 8? Paschall, Chriss and Lee?

It might be overly simplistic but the great GSW teams pre-Durant were 40%+ from 3 as a team. The GSW teams with Durant were 38%+ from 3 as a team. Last year th GSW team were 33% from 3 as a team.

What 3% do you expect the team above to have? Looking like Steph at 40% and the rest of the team will be like 31%..

yea, that's rough, after Steph we don't have any reliable shooter at this point, Lee shot 36% last year at 5+ attempts so it's not bad, if he stays around the same range that'll work, but we're gonna need one of Nico, Poole, or Mulder to really go off.

Return to Golden State Warriors