Welcome Paul Reed

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,483

Welcome Paul Reed 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:30 pm

Dedicated thread to advanced stats darling, Paul Reed.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Welcome Paul Reed 

Post#2 » by LloydFree » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:47 pm

I loved this pick. This player has talent. If the 76ers can get him to control himself and not try to do too much when he has the ball, he has a chance to be the best player picked in this year's 2nd round.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#3 » by Skates » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:11 pm

You pick a guy at 58 because he has at least one transferrable NBA skill, Reed has at least that and could be more. A talented project to hopefully harness and grow.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#4 » by Arsenal » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:15 pm

Yeah this guy has sick numbers and great length/athleticism. All the tools are there if they can coach him up properly and he has the right mentality for success. Great upside gamble in the 2nd.

Reminds me somewhat of Christian Wood back in the day, who appeared to drop out of the draft for off-court reasons. Took some time but now the talent is showing. Hopefully won't take as long for Reed.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#5 » by LloydFree » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:32 pm

If he doesn't improve at all, he's at least a bigger, better rebounding, better shooting, Jordan Bell.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#6 » by Arsenal » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:36 pm

LloydFree wrote:If he doesn't improve at all, he's at least a bigger, better rebounding, better shooting, Jordan Bell.

I'm going to assume Morey puts the right emphasis on shooting development considering how he likes to play. Reed is a guy who could use a total shot makeover that he can practice non-stop for an entire season in the G-League. Need the right coaching/development team to make that happen.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,348

Post#7 » by 76ciology » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:37 pm

Underrated offensive skills
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#8 » by PhillyPhilly » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:39 pm

This guy has been compared to Pascal Siakam and I can totally see it. He has great length, great rebounding skills, incredible blocking skills etc. But for someone his size his feet are very quick and he can euro step and dribble ok too. He can also finish at the rim with either hand and though his shot will need a little work, his highlights show him hitting jumpers from mid and long range so i'm very encouraged by what i've seen and if he works hard he has a chance to reach Siakam's level imo.
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#9 » by cool93 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:00 pm

From everything I read about him, seems like he is a lottery level talent or something, lol. What are major red flags that caused him to be picked so low?
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,653

Post#10 » by stormi » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:09 pm

Looks awkward and stiff in the post. Needs a lot of refinement on that end of the floor, shooting also. But his fluidity at that size and his awareness on defense are extremely intriguing. Steal getting him so late.
SwingOnThis
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#11 » by SwingOnThis » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:11 pm

Too bad there's no summer league. This guy would have been a star.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#12 » by Arsenal » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:23 pm

cool93 wrote:From everything I read about him, seems like he is a lottery level talent or something, lol. What are major red flags that caused him to be picked so low?

Apparently he didn't interview well. Getting Christian Wood vibes.
HankTheTank
Pro Prospect
And1: 558

Post#13 » by HankTheTank » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:42 pm

Reed in college reminded me of Brandon Clarke, who is from the same conf and will have a nice NBA career. Reed is a bit more raw, but I feel like he’ll make it.
*GENIUS*
Hinkie graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 GPA from the Univ of Oklahoma and was named one of the top-60 undergrad students in the nation by USA TODAY. He holds an MBA from Stanford, graduating with highest honors as an Arjay Miller Scholar.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,726

Post#14 » by HotelVitale » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:41 pm

HankTheTank wrote:Reed in college reminded me of Brandon Clarke, who is from the same conf and will have a nice NBA career. Reed is a bit more raw, but I feel like he’ll make it.

Not getting that comp, Clarke’s basically a walking floater and Reed can’t do that stuff at all. Reed seems like he’s dunking or f’ing with people on defense or else just hanging around. Like the pick but wouldn’t expect much in offense from him anytime soon.
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#15 » by davesilver » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:06 pm

Wow I’m excited by this dude. Looks underratedly fluid on both ends. Showed ability to guard the perimeter. Offensive game looks like it has potential as well
HankTheTank
Pro Prospect
And1: 558

Post#16 » by HankTheTank » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:34 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
HankTheTank wrote:Reed in college reminded me of Brandon Clarke, who is from the same conf and will have a nice NBA career. Reed is a bit more raw, but I feel like he’ll make it.

Not getting that comp, Clarke’s basically a walking floater and Reed can’t do that stuff at all. Reed seems like he’s dunking or f’ing with people on defense or else just hanging around. Like the pick but wouldn’t expect much in offense from him anytime soon.

I’m not trying to say Clarke is a perfect comp.... The version of Clarke you saw in the NBA last year was a different player than in college. They both scored a ton off of dunks and in transition. Reed has nice touch around the rim and I believe was a better FT shooter than Clarke- and a longer athlete.

I don’t know if he will translate on offense like Clarke has, he is raw as I mentioned. I do think he can play d and is athletic enough to make it, and excellent value where they took him.
*GENIUS*
Hinkie graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 GPA from the Univ of Oklahoma and was named one of the top-60 undergrad students in the nation by USA TODAY. He holds an MBA from Stanford, graduating with highest honors as an Arjay Miller Scholar.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#17 » by Monix » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:46 pm

comparing a dude that got drafted in the 50s of a weak draft to mid/late 1st rounders is a bit of a stretch
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,372

Post#18 » by Eyeamok » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:20 pm

Monix wrote:comparing a dude that got drafted in the 50s of a weak draft to mid/late 1st rounders is a bit of a stretch

That's why we are known as fanatics or fans for short !
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,461

Post#19 » by elchengue20 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:25 pm

Another steal for a late 2nd.

He looks like the kind of big who excells in the modern NBA. Draymond Green or Bam Adebayo style. Not saying he's going to be as good, but can develop into a serviceable role player.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,683

Post#20 » by phillynative » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:29 pm

Young Derrick Favors (hell why not)

Return to Philadelphia 76ers