ImageImageImage

Where do the wolves fit in the Western Conference?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Where do the wolves fit in the Western Conference? 

Post#21 » by Jedzz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:03 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:With Klay down again? Who knows? We might fit in Warrors place! Take it. But good luck doing so shooting 40 threes at 20-28%. Hinges on Beasley being back or not, or one of these others on the team showing they can replace his level of consistency.

They shot 34% as a team with that god awful start included....no chance they're that much worse than that

I'm not buying any team stats from last year. This isn't the same team at any one point during the season last year. I saw stretches of 10 games near 20% at times, others at 30%. But pushing JMac out crushes some of the high percentage shooting, if Beasley's out all he added to your team year number is gone too, even Dieng added good 3s last season - gone.

A full year of Dlo shots could help. If our #1 pick shoots well on open shots it should help. If Towns plays a full season that obviously will help. All ifs and pixie sticks though.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#22 » by No-Man » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:17 am

LA
LA

DEN
UTA
DAL
HOU (if they keep Harden)

PHX
POR
GS
MEM
SA

NOLA
MIN
SAC
OKC
HOU (if they trade Harden)

So either 12th or 13th
jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Post#23 » by jscott » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:29 am

I have us better than SAC, HOU (w/o Harden), GSW, and SAS at least. Maybe NOP too without Jrue but we will see.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#24 » by theGreatRC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:32 am

I’m sorry, but how is NO better than us? Because Brandon Ingram had an all star year?

Zion is good but is hyped to hell, he’s not THAT good (yet), Ball is also average..they have quality role ayers and promising guys, but still

They have a good rebuilding roster, but especially with jrue gone, they’re not going to be that competitive next year.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#25 » by Jedzz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:33 am

One #1 overall better than last year.
One Dlo better than last year.
One Rubio better than last year and better Rubio than
Whoever stays from the Denver trade is better than last year
Hopefully Towns more healthy than last season
*has to add up to something
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#26 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:36 am

If we can get a capable starting power forward, we should definitely be fighting for the 7-8th seed
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#27 » by Neeva » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:39 am

jscott wrote:I have us better than SAC, HOU (w/o Harden), GSW, and SAS at least. Maybe NOP too without Jrue but we will see.

Okc too they will be tanking and if Paul misses too many games phoenix is ****.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Post#28 » by jscott » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:41 am

Neeva wrote:
jscott wrote:I have us better than SAC, HOU (w/o Harden), GSW, and SAS at least. Maybe NOP too without Jrue but we will see.

Okc too they will be tanking and if Paul misses too many games phoenix is ****.

You’re right. I meant to add them. Good call!!

So that’s at least 6 teams we should be better than.
K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Post#29 » by K4P » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:47 am

I'd argue there are 7 teams 1000% better than the Wolves.

Clips, Lakers, Denver, Utah, Dallas, Portland, and Phoenix (assuming 36 year old CP3 has a healthy year)

-OKC and Houston are about to tank
-Warriors second option is Andrew Wiggins
- Kings always find a way to suck
- Teams like the Pels and Grizzlies are competitive but still young and can't be counted on yet
- Spurs have no direction

I don't see why the Wolves couldn't at least make the play-in tournament assuming they are gonna be running an elite offense through Towns and Russell, with support from Ricky, Beasley and Edwards.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#30 » by theGreatRC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:53 am

I know I didn't want to make a prediction until we addressed our PF issue, but since everyone else is..I will say that I do believe we will be on the same tier as the Utah Jazz...that's how confident I feel about this roster
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#31 » by Jedzz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:39 am

Welp, Warriors are back in this with Oubre now. I knew we should have demanded Oubre and Rubio for 17 instead of a couple more picks. Could have sent Culver and cleared up everything.

Warriors circumvent the old fake useless cap rules again with another one of these non matching TPE plus pick trades and will just have to throw money at the NBA for the luxury of being able to.

Sure, it was horrible that they lost Klay again. But that's life in sports. Just like when we lost Rubio to a knee, lost Love to a broken refrigerator hand, lost Pekovich to feet trouble shortly after paying him, lost LaVine to a knee, this all sucks and is part of sports. Unless you can just keep buying your way around it I guess. Another reason some teams just can't be stopped. They stopped themselves by tanking for a season last year. I'm sure they could have bought themselves a trip to the finals again and maybe lost or won. Klay or not they are now back in the hunt.

These loopholes need to be removed. If they want to add injury clauses to wipe a players cap off a season long injury year, that would be fine because every team would have that ability then. But these loopholes to allow them to spend as much as they can aren't options available to every team. To just go ahead and tack on another 86 million to their Luxury fees now? That's not something every team can do. Bad injury luck is part of seasons for many teams but only those capable of spending through it shouldn't be able to. If this what they are doing is fine now, then the Mavericks should have been able to pay a luxury fee and sign CJ McCollum and Giannis to help them finish their playoff run when all their players got injured. They couldn't, and one by one lost players until it was one young star trying to carry it all. Screw that if Warriors can do this. These TPEs are make matching rules and entire cap idea a joke.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#32 » by Jedzz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:53 am

theGreatRC wrote:I know I didn't want to make a prediction until we addressed our PF issue, but since everyone else is..I will say that I do believe we will be on the same tier as the Utah Jazz...that's how confident I feel about this roster

Whatever makes ourselves feel better...every year we do this.

I'm swimming in positivity again, this is our year man. I feel right down to my bones.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#33 » by KGdaBom » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:02 pm

Jedzz wrote:One #1 overall better than last year.
One Dlo better than last year.
One Rubio better than last year and better Rubio than
Whoever stays from the Denver trade is better than last year
Hopefully Towns more healthy than last season
*has to add up to something

I like the way you're thinking. :D
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#34 » by IceManBK1 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:20 pm

As of now..bottom feeder. Unless we improve our SF and PF position. And our bench.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#35 » by KGdaBom » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:22 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:As of now..bottom feeder. Unless we improve our SF and PF position. And our bench.

I think Edwards will be pretty good at the SF. Juancho, Layman and Vanderbilt might make for a serviceable PF.
IceManBK1
Analyst

Post#36 » by IceManBK1 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:27 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:As of now..bottom feeder. Unless we improve our SF and PF position. And our bench.

I think Edwards will be pretty good at the SF. Juancho, Layman and Vanderbilt might make for a serviceable PF.

We need 3D at SF..right now Edwards' D is a mystery. And we need a borderline allstar at PF. Gordon fits that mold. Randle, Bobby Portis, Ibaka, Jermani Grant, Marcus Morris just to name a few.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#37 » by KGdaBom » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:43 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

We need 3D at SF..right now Edwards' D is a mystery. And we need a borderline allstar at PF. Gordon fits that mold. Randle, Bobby Portis, Ibaka, Jermani Grant, Marcus Morris just to name a few.

I'm Mr. Positivity. Edwards is going to be 3rd Team All NBA Defense this year.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#38 » by Norseman79 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:44 pm

Bottom line, can't answer this until free agency wraps up. As we sit right now, no Beas and no Juancho I would say 10th give or take. With those two, 5-9 all depends on health.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#39 » by Norseman79 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:45 pm

Ps GSW

Curry
Wiggins
Oubre
Green
Wiseman

That is making the playoffs. Didn't even include the depth they developed or the guy coaching.
IceManBK1
Analyst

Post#40 » by IceManBK1 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:53 pm

Norseman79 wrote:Ps GSW

Curry
Wiggins
Oubre
Green
Wiseman

That is making the playoffs. Didn't even include the depth they developed or the guy coaching.

yea curry, wiggins, ourbre could give you 70 pts/night alone...oubre, green, and wiseman will hold down the fort on defense.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves