ImageImageImageImageImage

Could Frank be our longterm answer at backup guard (PG/SG)

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Re: Could Frank be our longterm answer at backup guard (PG/SG) 

Post#181 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:01 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Knicks Rumors: 'The Sense Is' Leon Rose Wants Ntilikina to Be a 'Valuable Piece'

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2900800-knicks-rumors-the-sense-is-leon-rose-wants-ntilikina-to-be-a-valuable-piece

Despite turning in three straight disappointing seasons to begin his NBA career, Frank Ntilikina is reportedly still part of the New York Knicks' plans.

Marc Berman of the New York Post reported new president of basketball operations Leon Rose sees Ntilikina developing into a "valuable piece." Rose was Ntilikina's first agent as an NBA player before being fired in 2019. It appears any wounded feelings have been healed based on Rose and Ntilikina's public comments about one another.

“I know Leon — very professional in what he does. He’s a good guy. We can trust him, I think,” Ntilikina told reporters in March. “We all want what’s the best for the team. So we all are moving in the same direction. Leon is an expert in his job. He knows what he’s doing. He was a great agent and I’m sure he’s going to do great things here.”

Rose told MSG Network he thinks Ntilikina can "really prosper" in the right situation.

Selected eighth in the 2017 NBA draft (five spots ahead of Donovan Mitchell and six before Bam Adebayo), Ntilikina has struggled to find his footing stateside. The Frenchman has been among the worst offensive rotation players in basketball, shooting 36.6 percent for his career and struggling to develop as a playmaker.

While Ntilikina is a strong defender who can guard multiple positions due to his seven-foot wingspan, it's been tough to keep him on the floor in high-leverage situations due to his offensive woes.

That said, Ntilikina is among the best fits on the roster for the defensive-minded Tom Thibodeau, widely viewed as the favorite for the Knicks head coaching job. Thibodeau and Rose have a friendship spanning two decades. Ntilikina is the type of wing defender who can thrive under Thibodeau, who is renowned for his defensive acumen and ability to coach up players on the fringe.

Damn. Frank's a goner. :cry:

sarcasm?

Yeah, definitely sarcasm, of course. I mean, I sure hope so. You know how sometimes these accolades are like the "kiss of death."
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
Davis18
Senior
And1: 674

Post#182 » by Davis18 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:01 am

Clyde_Style wrote:Knicks Rumors: 'The Sense Is' Leon Rose Wants Ntilikina to Be a 'Valuable Piece'

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2900800-knicks-rumors-the-sense-is-leon-rose-wants-ntilikina-to-be-a-valuable-piece

Despite turning in three straight disappointing seasons to begin his NBA career, Frank Ntilikina is reportedly still part of the New York Knicks' plans.

Marc Berman of the New York Post reported new president of basketball operations Leon Rose sees Ntilikina developing into a "valuable piece." Rose was Ntilikina's first agent as an NBA player before being fired in 2019. It appears any wounded feelings have been healed based on Rose and Ntilikina's public comments about one another.

“I know Leon — very professional in what he does. He’s a good guy. We can trust him, I think,” Ntilikina told reporters in March. “We all want what’s the best for the team. So we all are moving in the same direction. Leon is an expert in his job. He knows what he’s doing. He was a great agent and I’m sure he’s going to do great things here.”

Rose told MSG Network he thinks Ntilikina can "really prosper" in the right situation.

Selected eighth in the 2017 NBA draft (five spots ahead of Donovan Mitchell and six before Bam Adebayo), Ntilikina has struggled to find his footing stateside. The Frenchman has been among the worst offensive rotation players in basketball, shooting 36.6 percent for his career and struggling to develop as a playmaker.

While Ntilikina is a strong defender who can guard multiple positions due to his seven-foot wingspan, it's been tough to keep him on the floor in high-leverage situations due to his offensive woes.

That said, Ntilikina is among the best fits on the roster for the defensive-minded Tom Thibodeau, widely viewed as the favorite for the Knicks head coaching job. Thibodeau and Rose have a friendship spanning two decades. Ntilikina is the type of wing defender who can thrive under Thibodeau, who is renowned for his defensive acumen and ability to coach up players on the fringe.

I think Frank will get a look from new regime.
After all those coaching staff, It will be a very bad look for them if Frank ever becomes a good player after getting dumped.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#183 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:23 am

Davis18 wrote:

After all those coaching staff, It will be a very bad look for them if Frank ever becomes a good player after getting dumped.

Welcome to Knicks' Central.

I completely agree but we are talking about the Knicks here so ...

Seriously though, this is Frank's fourth different coaching staff in four years.
POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,177

Post#184 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:31 am

vallen wrote:
knuckles862 wrote:I wish I could love my wife as much as some of you love frank sheesh

Its like Shump all over again but with more love for a worse basketball player. They have these incredible ceilings that are going to shine at the beginning of every new season, the same way the posters here get hyped for every new GM and coach every other year, and then when they are gone they were obviously crap and they knew it all along. When Frank ends up back in France in a couple years he will be thrown to the wolves by everyone here. Its extremely two-faced here. If your a drafted Knick your a God until your not.

Spoiler:
Davis18
Senior
And1: 674

Post#185 » by Davis18 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:43 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Davis18 wrote:

Welcome to Knicks' Central.

I completely agree but we are talking about the Knicks here so ...

Seriously though, this is Frank's fourth different coaching staff in four years.

Thanks for the welcome.
I am a long time Knicks fan now living in Korea.. my first year in NY Pat Cummings was best player.
I have seen bad times for too long.
I just hope Leon Rose does not bring back Zeke memories.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,051

Post#186 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:50 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Agreed. I know I need to be patient to see what happens tomorrow, but I just see not bringing back Dotson as a bad sign, i.e. we're going to go on a mini spending spree and bring in another group of missionaries who have no connection to each other. I know it's a relatively small move in the grand scheme but, on the other hand, I also think it's a little telling. IMO, Dotson has a lot of attributes we're looking for in a Knicks' wing player and he provides continuity, which in light of all of the turnaround on the roster we have, should account for something.

Except every move they made had a connection to someone on the team. LOL.

????

You said we will go on another mini spree signing players with no connection to each other. Just because we didn't bring Dotson back? Every move they make seems to have a connection to something here. CAA/Kentucky/Perrin. Thibs and Woodson were former Knicks coaches. Hell...the UDFA we signed had a connection to Toppin as well.

I don't get the impression they are doing things anywhere similar to Mills or Zeke or Phil or whoever. I can't make any bad judgement on the moves made so far. I do fear the ghosts of Knicksmas past will come **** it all up and Dolan will fire everyone in 3 years but...so far not bad. 6pm tonight starts to give us a real idea of what Rose/Thibs want to do here. I am sure they are working together building the team unlike the last few dozen GMs.
:beer: RIP mags
ForzaMetro
Senior
And1: 676

Post#187 » by ForzaMetro » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:15 pm

I’m still on the Frank train. We know he has one high level NBA skill, which frankly is more than we can say for some of our other young players.

His FT% has improved every season and is 78% for his career. That’s a decent sign he can improve as a 3 point shooter. If he can get to the high 30% from 3, he can be a really good 3-D guard. Throw in his PG skills (even if they stay at the level he’s at now) and that’s the profile of a really valuable 3rd guard on a good team.
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,356

Post#188 » by Ray Williams » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:26 pm

knuckles862 wrote:I wish I could love my wife as much as some of you love frank sheesh

Get a divorce.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,642

Post#189 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:42 pm

Your wife doesn't have a 7 foot wingspan and great defensive instincts though.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#190 » by CharlesOakley » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:05 pm

Frank is going to take a leap this year offensively. Thibs is going to put him into situations to excel.

15 ppg and 6 apg w/ 37% from deep - come at me.
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,695

Post#191 » by omerome » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:15 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:Frank is going to take a leap this year offensively. Thibs is going to put him into situations to excel.

I would love nothing more than to see that and he is capable of it. He just has to believe in himself. That to me is what's holding him back.

Frank taking a leap would be huge for us. We already can count on his defensive abilities, but if he can be a respectable offensive player, he will have a long career in the league - and hopefully with us.
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,049

Post#192 » by vallen » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:07 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:Frank is going to take a leap this year offensively. Thibs is going to put him into situations to excel.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#193 » by CharlesOakley » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:26 pm

vallen wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,267

Post#194 » by rajajackal » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:28 pm

i'd be happy with 12ppg/5apg/1stl/35% 3PT from 3 (45+% from corners) given we have RJ, Obi, and presumably someone else we will acquire to score the ball. the more talent you acquire, the more you need a player like Frank
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,355

Post#195 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:23 am

Da_Mane_Man wrote:how much older than Obi is Frank?

minus 4 and a half months :lol:
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,355

Post#196 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:27 am

Clyde_Style wrote:“I know Leon — very professional in what he does. He’s a good guy. We can trust him, I think,” Ntilikina told reporters in March.

Things that make you go "hmmmm".
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#197 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:36 am

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:“I know Leon — very professional in what he does. He’s a good guy. We can trust him, I think,” Ntilikina told reporters in March.

I caught that, but he's French so it's a pass
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,392

Post#198 » by Synciere » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:57 am

Hes_On_Fire wrote:I'll just re-post this here.

Frank Ntilikina is not a starting PG in the NBA.

I am a big Frank guy. I've defended him against his detractors and still do. But he's not a starting PG in this league. That much is evident in the 3 seasons he's played. He is a very solid role player who can contribute minutes to the PG position as a combo guard and provide great defense on the perimeter at the 1-2 and even 3. He's a valuable player to have when your team is good. But he's not a playmaker and he is not aggressive enough to have the ball in his hands all the time. Frank is a guy who knows his role and doesn't force anything, and that's fine. But his role is a good backup or a very solid starter at SG, like a Tony Allen, and nothing more.

If you're going to continue to push Frank as the starting point guard (nevermind the crapshow that is Dennis Smith Jr) then you'll continue to not live in reality.

Wholeheartedly disagree. And I’m not a Frank guy... at all.

That said, if Frank can get Mitch and Obi lobs during a game, he’ll be able to get assists and keep the offense humming. Right now RJ is a secondary playmaker. Maybe we get a third like Hayward. Regardless, Frank has shown he can make plays as a point guard. As long as we don’t have to overpay for Van Vleet, I’d keep running Frank and DSJ out there.. throw IQ into the mix.. Frank hasn’t been a starter caliber player yet, but he still has plenty of time to grow into one. I really want to see what he looks like under Thibs before I declare he’s a throw-in in a trade.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#199 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:19 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:

Frank dangling his participle again.
POSTING POLICIES:
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#200 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:20 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:

Frank dangling his participle again.

Voulez-vouz passez moi le ball?

Return to New York Knicks