ImageImageImageImageImage

[Shams] Warriors/Thunder in Serious Talks for Oubre

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Re: [Shams] Warriors/Thunder in Serious Talks for Oubre 

Post#241 » by HiRez » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:38 am

Ilovethebay wrote:A lot of excitement in this thread over an average SF. This could end up being some the least entertaining hoops we’ve seen(save last year) from a warriors team. 2 of our top 3 shot takers will have below league average efficiency. I hope I’m wrong but this seems like a panic move. Kerr is really gonna earn his money this year. I’d rather have GRIII back.

Nah. As long as Steph is playing, it's not gonna be boring. Agree that Kerr can't coast this year though, he needs to get creative and fit the system to the players we have to some degree. One thing I'm hoping is that Wiseman can bring back some of that Bogut screening magic we used to have. He's not going to lay people out like Bogut did but at least he's a big body with good mobility.
InWestWeTrust
Sixth Man
And1: 657

Post#242 » by InWestWeTrust » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:46 am

HiRez wrote:
Ilovethebay wrote:A lot of excitement in this thread over an average SF. This could end up being some the least entertaining hoops we’ve seen(save last year) from a warriors team. 2 of our top 3 shot takers will have below league average efficiency. I hope I’m wrong but this seems like a panic move. Kerr is really gonna earn his money this year. I’d rather have GRIII back.

Nah. As long as Steph is playing, it's not gonna be boring. Agree that Kerr can't coast this year though, he needs to get creative and fit the system to the players we have to some degree. One thing I'm hoping is that Wiseman can bring back some of that Bogut screening magic we used to have. He's not going to lay people out like Bogut did but at least he's a big body with good mobility.

Hoping and looking forward to this as well.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#243 » by Samurai » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:51 am

HiRez wrote:

Is Zaza still working for the Dubs? If so, he should be able to teach Wiseman how to set good screens. My concern is that being a rookie, Wiseman may pick up too many cheap offensive fouls for moving screens. Zaza can also teach him about some of the dirty work that goes on under the basket used by NBA veteran bigs.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#244 » by Samurai » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:15 am

Kerr and the coaching staff will need to adjust their strategy around the new personnel. Oubre is a very different animal than Klay and if Kerr draws up plays expecting Oubre to keep running behind screens to jack up 3's all night, we're in trouble. On the other hand, Oubre is an elite finisher in transition. He scored 228 points in transition (on only 229 transition possessions - an incredible efficiency!) which was good for 15th best in the league between Ben Simmons and DeAaron Fox. The names above him are guys like Giannis, Harden, Westbrook, LeBron, Siakim, Beal, etc. are fairly good transition players themselves! That's not bad company and in that regard, he is much better than Klay. So if the Dubs can rebound (paging Mr. Wiseman) and get the ball to Steph or Dray to lead the break and tell guys like Oubre, Wiggins, Wiseman and Chriss to start sprinting, we should get more easy buckets.

The challenge will be more in the half-court. Oubre isn't a catch-and-shoot threat like Klay (he shot only 34% on catch-and-shoot 3's). But he did shoot 38% on pull-up 3's, which should be something Kerr can live with. And he shot an excellent 43% when the defender was within 2-4 feet but only 34% on wide open 3's (defender more than 4 feet away). So again, designing plays based on Curry's gravity to create wide open looks for Oubre likely won't be nearly as successful as when designing those looks for Klay. But if Kerr can work with Oubre's strengths and not force him to play to his weaknesses, the Dubs should still be able to score, albeit differently than they did with Klay. It's up to Kerr to show he can create the type of running team that will let athletes like Oubre, Wiseman and Wiggins be most successful.
Ilovethebay
Senior
And1: 166

Post#245 » by Ilovethebay » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:26 am

Samurai wrote:

When someone of Klay's stature suffers a devastating injury on the DAY OF the draft and ONE DAY before the start of free agency, there darn well better be a high degree of urgency to get something done. There is no way to foresee that would happen and you can't just wave a magic wand and create the cap space to sign another star to replace Klay. If you were in Myers' shoes, what would you have done differently in the exact same situation that wouldn't look like a "panic move"?

:lol: So much shortsightedness in this response. Sounds like you’re making an argument for going grocery shopping when you’re hungry. While this move MAY work, Kelly Oubre isn’t a rush to sign player. We need guys who can make shots, not another Wiggins. I know it not my money, but if you think this was an efficient use of our last bit of sizeable cap space than I don't know what to tell you. Let’s revisit this at midseason? If I’m wrong I’ll gladly eat the crow. But me thinks a GRIII/Alec Burks combo would’ve worked much better. They already know the system which is super important during this shortened season. I’ll say one thing, at least they were smart enough to make it a heavily protected pick.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#246 » by Samurai » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:03 am

Ilovethebay wrote:
Samurai wrote:

When someone of Klay's stature suffers a devastating injury on the DAY OF the draft and ONE DAY before the start of free agency, there darn well better be a high degree of urgency to get something done. There is no way to foresee that would happen and you can't just wave a magic wand and create the cap space to sign another star to replace Klay. If you were in Myers' shoes, what would you have done differently in the exact same situation that wouldn't look like a "panic move"?

:lol: So much shortsightedness in this response. Sounds like you’re making an argument for going grocery shopping when you’re hungry. While this move MAY work, Kelly Oubre isn’t a rush to sign player. We need guys who can make shots, not another Wiggins. I know it not my money, but if you think this was an efficient use of our last bit of sizeable cap space than I don't know what to tell you. Let’s revisit this at midseason? If I’m wrong I’ll gladly eat the crow. But me thinks a GRIII/Alec Burks combo would’ve worked much better. They already know the system which is super important during this shortened season. I’ll say one thing, at least they were smart enough to make it a heavily protected pick.

Agreed, yours was a VERY shortsighted response. What's the rush? The TPE expires on Monday; after that, it disappears.
Ilovethebay
Senior

Post#247 » by Ilovethebay » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:33 am

Samurai wrote:
Ilovethebay wrote:
Samurai wrote:When someone of Klay's stature suffers a devastating injury on the DAY OF the draft and ONE DAY before the start of free agency, there darn well better be a high degree of urgency to get something done. There is no way to foresee that would happen and you can't just wave a magic wand and create the cap space to sign another star to replace Klay. If you were in Myers' shoes, what would you have done differently in the exact same situation that wouldn't look like a "panic move"?

Agreed, yours was a VERY shortsighted response. What's the rush? The TPE expires on Monday; after that, it disappears.

So we have more time. That’s a freaking eternity. I realize that soon free agency will dry up but this space could have been used for anybody under 17.2 mil. That’s why teams like acquiring them in the first place. You do know this is his 4th team in four years ? He’s not a difference maker. He would make more sense if we still had Klay but not now. Agree to disagree :wink:
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#248 » by Onus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:39 am

There’s so many difference makers being traded for cap space. We could’ve gotten Tatum if we just waited until Monday.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Ilovethebay
Senior

Post#249 » by Ilovethebay » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:49 am

Onus wrote:There’s so many difference makers being traded for cap space. We could’ve gotten Tatum if we just waited until Monday.

I hope you are right. But to be fair, this wasn’t just cap space.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#250 » by Little Digger » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:54 am

Ibaka must be signing with the Nets or Raptors

He’s the big cheese of 2020 FAgency
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
cladden
Analyst
And1: 378

Post#251 » by cladden » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:54 am

Samurai wrote:
HiRez wrote:

Is Zaza still working for the Dubs? If so, he should be able to teach Wiseman how to set good screens. My concern is that being a rookie, Wiseman may pick up too many cheap offensive fouls for moving screens. Zaza can also teach him about some of the dirty work that goes on under the basket used by NBA veteran bigs.

In my roughly 30 years of watching the NBA I've never ever seen a player getting whistled for moving screens with anything like the same frequency as Bogut :-) Loved the dude though.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#252 » by Little Digger » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:55 am

Sign Bogut
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
InWestWeTrust
Sixth Man
And1: 657

Post#253 » by InWestWeTrust » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:56 am

Little Digger wrote:Sign Bogut

Mid-season play
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#254 » by marthafokker » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:59 am

Little Digger wrote:Sign Bogut

He got his beer money from the Ball family.... Lucky for GSW fans, unsuccessful!
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#255 » by Samurai » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:00 am

Ilovethebay wrote:
Samurai wrote:
Ilovethebay wrote:

So we have more time. That’s a freaking eternity. I realize that soon free agency will dry up but this space could have been used for anybody under 17.2 mil. That’s why teams like acquiring them in the first place. You do know this is his 4th team in four years ? He’s not a difference maker. He would make more sense if we still had Klay but not now. Agree to disagree :wink:

In a short-sided world, one may consider that an "eternity". But in real life, we know it isn't. FA opened today. Since the TPE is by far the biggest financial lever the team had available - nearly double the DPE (assuming the team applies for and receives approval for it) and over three times the MLE, the TPE represents their best chance at trying to lessen the loss of Klay. There is no one available that the team would have cap space for that can truly replace Klay. In the real world, you want to fill that biggest piece first before looking at FA's to fill out the lower amounts they have to offer. In a short-sided world, you could look first at the vet minimums and MLE candidates and then go after the biggest fish you can find knowing that they would likely be gone by then, but thankfully Myers isn't living in that short-sided world. In the real world, he had until 3 PM today to get the guy he wanted for the TPE so that he can then look at the smaller pieces. You may believe that the 24-hour period from yesterday to today is an "eternity", but thankfully our FO did not.
Ilovethebay
Senior

Post#256 » by Ilovethebay » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:09 am

Samurai wrote:
Ilovethebay wrote:
Samurai wrote:Agreed, yours was a VERY shortsighted response. What's the rush? The TPE expires on Monday; after that, it disappears.

In a short-sided world, one may consider that an "eternity". But in real life, we know it isn't. FA opened today. Since the TPE is by far the biggest financial lever the team had available - nearly double the DPE (assuming the team applies for and receives approval for it) and over three times the MLE, the TPE represents their best chance at trying to lessen the loss of Klay. There is no one available that the team would have cap space for that can truly replace Klay. In the real world, you want to fill that biggest piece first before looking at FA's to fill out the lower amounts they have to offer. In a short-sided world, you could look first at the vet minimums and MLE candidates and then go after the biggest fish you can find knowing that they would likely be gone by then, but thankfully Myers isn't living in that short-sided world. In the real world, he had until 3 PM today to get the guy he wanted for the TPE so that he can then look at the smaller pieces. You may believe that the 24-hour period from yesterday to today is an "eternity", but thankfully our FO did not.

Ok champ. Let’s see how it all works out :wink:
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Post#257 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:43 am

Ilovethebay wrote:
Samurai wrote:
Ilovethebay wrote: So we have more time. That’s a freaking eternity. I realize that soon free agency will dry up but this space could have been used for anybody under 17.2 mil. That’s why teams like acquiring them in the first place. You do know this is his 4th team in four years ? He’s not a difference maker. He would make more sense if we still had Klay but not now. Agree to disagree :wink:

I also seriously doubt that the Oubre idea suddenly occurred to them in a panic when Klay got hurt. Half of RealGM had identified Oubre as an interesting TPE target long before Klay got hurt. It is entirely possible they'd been planning to trade for him for a while, and waited for the draft to shake out.
You don't have to like the Oubre acquisition, of course. I like it, but I think it is a perfectly defensible position that we should have been focusing on someone that was more of a pure shooter. But that doesn't justify the leap that the Warriors panicked and suddenly snatched up Oubre without proper consideration.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Samurai
General Manager

Post#258 » by Samurai » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:04 am

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
Ilovethebay wrote:
Samurai wrote:In a short-sided world, one may consider that an "eternity". But in real life, we know it isn't. FA opened today. Since the TPE is by far the biggest financial lever the team had available - nearly double the DPE (assuming the team applies for and receives approval for it) and over three times the MLE, the TPE represents their best chance at trying to lessen the loss of Klay. There is no one available that the team would have cap space for that can truly replace Klay. In the real world, you want to fill that biggest piece first before looking at FA's to fill out the lower amounts they have to offer. In a short-sided world, you could look first at the vet minimums and MLE candidates and then go after the biggest fish you can find knowing that they would likely be gone by then, but thankfully Myers isn't living in that short-sided world. In the real world, he had until 3 PM today to get the guy he wanted for the TPE so that he can then look at the smaller pieces. You may believe that the 24-hour period from yesterday to today is an "eternity", but thankfully our FO did not.

I also seriously doubt that the Oubre idea suddenly occurred to them in a panic when Klay got hurt. Half of RealGM had identified Oubre as an interesting TPE target long before Klay got hurt. It is entirely possible they'd been planning to trade for him for a while, and waited for the draft to shake out.
You don't have to like the Oubre acquisition, of course. I like it, but I think it is a perfectly defensible position that we should have been focusing on someone that was more of a pure shooter. But that doesn't justify the leap that the Warriors panicked and suddenly snatched up Oubre without proper consideration.

Agreed. Obviously we aren't in Myers' head but a number of analysts have speculated that Oubre was someone they targeted with the TPE prior to Klay's injury. Since there is no Klay clone available for the TPE, it seems reasonable that they decided to stick to the plan and hope to find someone who can somewhat replicate Klay's shooting with the DPE, MLE, vet minimum or some combination thereof. Oubre has a crazy 7-3 wingspan, which now gives the team four potential starters with a 7+ foot wingspan (Oubre, Wiggins, Dray, Wiseman), and I can't ever recall a past Dubs team that can boast that (started following the team just prior to their move to Oakland). Hoping that Kerr can find a way to take advantage of the speed and athleticism that guys like Oubre, Wiggins, Wiseman and Chriss provides and hoping that Myers can find some more shooters to balance out the offense in the days ahead. Oubre becomes an unrestricted FA next summer so he could just be a one year rental, but I believe we also now have his Bird rights so if he is a good fit, the team will at least have the opportunity to retain him beyond this season. Seems like a reasonable move for Myers to make under the circumstances.
cladden
Analyst
And1: 378

Post#259 » by cladden » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:40 am

This will be the most athletic team since we've fielded since We Believe at least. Maybe even since before my time altogether. I'm lowkey excited. I think we have a shot at 5th seed in the west.
Ilovethebay
Senior

Post#260 » by Ilovethebay » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:51 am

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
Ilovethebay wrote:
Samurai wrote:In a short-sided world, one may consider that an "eternity". But in real life, we know it isn't. FA opened today. Since the TPE is by far the biggest financial lever the team had available - nearly double the DPE (assuming the team applies for and receives approval for it) and over three times the MLE, the TPE represents their best chance at trying to lessen the loss of Klay. There is no one available that the team would have cap space for that can truly replace Klay. In the real world, you want to fill that biggest piece first before looking at FA's to fill out the lower amounts they have to offer. In a short-sided world, you could look first at the vet minimums and MLE candidates and then go after the biggest fish you can find knowing that they would likely be gone by then, but thankfully Myers isn't living in that short-sided world. In the real world, he had until 3 PM today to get the guy he wanted for the TPE so that he can then look at the smaller pieces. You may believe that the 24-hour period from yesterday to today is an "eternity", but thankfully our FO did not.

Fair enough. The timing makes it highly suspect though. Lacob is a great owner and one of the few who actually pushes the envelope a little farther to show the fans and the org that he is doing all that he can to win. While as a former STH of 10 years I appreciate it, he may have buckled under that same pressure of IMMEDIATELY trying to soften the lost of Klay.
I think that there is a strong possibility that this move would have been there for at least until tonight. Who knows, some of these teams that are losing free agents might of played ball with us just to get a sizable TPE as a thank you. I think Sac would have loved to get a TPE for Bogdanovic for example. We would have had to take on more years but we also would not have had to give up a possible FRP. It’s all speculation of course but our player personnel moves have been lacking for the past 3 years or so.
I do agree that many here were hoping for an Oubre TPE signing before Klay got hurt, but once that happened our focus should have shifted somewhat in my opinion. Other teams will smother Steph even more than in the past because they know on most nights that Wiggins,Oubre, and Draymond are not going to beat them if you sagged off of them.

Return to Golden State Warriors