spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,981

Re: Welcome Dwight Howard 

Post#41 » by spikeslovechild » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:14 am

PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:
I haven't watched a basketball game of any kind since the Sixers/Nets series in 2019, so I didn't see him play last season at all.

But I'm perfectly willing to go toe to toe with PER and WS. My eye test >>>>

He played much better last year when you weren't using your eye test.

Then why didn't he get more than the minimum?

He's 34 and due to the fact he doesn't stretch the floor makes his value limited. Mcgee got what 4M. WCS got 2M. Noel 2M. All these guys are valuable but teams just don't spend huge amounts of money on backup/fringe starting defensive bigs.

Lets be clear we could have done much worse. I mean do you people remember Amir?
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,573

Post#42 » by FireMorey » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:15 am

Arsenal wrote:
PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Because he's old and almost washed. Still good enough to produce in limited minutes, which is all we need.

lol well that's all I said. "He's not very good anymore" is the same thing as saying "He's not what he used to be."

Yeah but when you started out as an 8 time all-star and 1st ballot Hall of Famer, even when you're washed you can still help a team. And for the vet min its a STEAL.

I didn’t say he couldn’t help the Sixers. I think he can help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,042

Post#43 » by Sixerscan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:18 am

PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:
I haven't watched a basketball game of any kind since the Sixers/Nets series in 2019, so I didn't see him play last season at all.

But I'm perfectly willing to go toe to toe with PER and WS. My eye test >>>>

He played much better last year when you weren't using your eye test.

Was more just pointing out the ridiculousness of someone bragging about their eye test when they haven't watched a game in 18 months...
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,713

Post#44 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:19 am

Read that its not even a guaranteed deal, that is interesting.
6ers83
Senior
And1: 195

Post#45 » by 6ers83 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:19 am

Great move he’s not all star of course but as a back up it’s great
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:25 am

This might actually be a pretty good move... if he stays motivated and on good behavior its fantastic.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#47 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:37 am

2nd time Morey swiped Dwight from the Lakers

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
KKell2507
Starter
And1: 507

Post#48 » by KKell2507 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:42 am

Well I was concerned that Lakers let him go so easily, but they just got Montrezl Harrell so that makes more sense. And wow the Lakers.
skulky
Junior
And1: 94

Post#49 » by skulky » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:44 am

mithrandir17 wrote:The question is, can Howard play starter mins when Joel is not available?

I wouldn’t want him to be more than a backup. I’d use Simmons as the starting center on embiid’s off nights.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#50 » by Tomjas » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:48 am

spikeslovechild wrote:
PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:He played much better last year when you weren't using your eye test.

He's 34 and due to the fact he doesn't stretch the floor makes his value limited. Mcgee got what 4M. WCS got 2M. Noel 2M. All these guys are valuable but teams just don't spend huge amounts of money on backup/fringe starting defensive bigs.

Lets be clear we could have done much worse. I mean do you people remember Amir?

Yep

And Monroe

Dwight is still levels above those guys when they were here
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#51 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:58 am

I think there's legitimate value in getting former prominent players on vet minimums at the end of their career. I just hope he doesn't mess with the lockerroom. There's no LeBron here to keep him in check.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:03 am

If its not guaranteed I don't see how this is anything but an A+
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,792

Post#53 » by XtremeDunkz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:49 am

Love this signing especially for the minimum. People that would rather have Noel have some homerism left. He gets bodied in ways Dwight won't.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#54 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:00 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:Love this signing especially for the minimum. People that would rather have Noel have some homerism left. He gets bodied in ways Dwight won't.

Even though he's weak, Noel is still an elite defensive player that can switch out onto any position on the floor.

An older, athletically dimished Dwight Howard often gets abused on switches these days. So he's still a strong post defender, but not exactly an unexploitable defender.

In the switch everything era, Noel appears to be far more valuable, IMO.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#55 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:02 am

Given that Embiid was instrumental in bringing Dwight to Philly, I wonder if the two will bond and get Embiid in better shape. For all Dwight's faults, his conditioning habits are among the best the sport has ever seen at the C position (along with guys like David Robinson, obviously).

Could you imagine if Dwight got Joel to drop down to a svelte 265 pounds? That alone would make this signing worth it by 10 fold.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,773

Post#56 » by Skates » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:08 am

Howard is the backup against bigger teams, but agree that they need someone more switchable for teams that go small and move the ball a lot. Reed isn't likely ready to be that yet, but in the future he might be. I'd expect a 4-5 guy or 3-5 guy that can play that role to be signed as well.
Benfitnyc
Junior
And1: 119

Post#57 » by Benfitnyc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:12 am

Skates wrote:Howard is the backup against bigger teams, but agree that they need someone more switchable for teams that go small and move the ball a lot. Reed isn't likely ready to be that yet, but in the future he might be. I'd expect a 4-5 guy or 3-5 guy that can play that role to be signed as well.

We have that guy... Ben Simmons
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#58 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:12 am

Skates wrote:Howard is the backup against bigger teams, but agree that they need someone more switchable for teams that go small and move the ball a lot. Reed isn't likely ready to be that yet, but in the future he might be. I'd expect a 4-5 guy or 3-5 guy that can play that role to be signed as well.

I suppose Noah Vonleh would make some sense. And Doc has recent history with JaMychal Green.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,419

Post#59 » by Eyeamok » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:20 am

Perhaps he is here to play backup minutes and let Joel know how important it is to stay in shape. Perhaps he can tell Joel that playing around and being up one year and down the next is fun but if he did not change his attitude and get in shape there is no way he would have won this NBA championship ring he now has.

Perhaps (and I know it sounds crazy) Howard and Danny are here to not only be players but to provide a championship presence. If you want to win a championship this is what you do and this is what you don't do. If this is the case it gives Simmons and Embiid the chance to actually become leaders by learning from two champions. And to tell the truth you can learn a lot from someone that has made mistakes and learned from it.

And then there is this which I applauded.

“I just realized that you can’t please everybody,” Howard stated, via Alex Kennedy of BaksetballNews.com. “Everybody’s not gonna be happy with you or what you’ve done with your life. And the way that you kill them is with kindness. Instead of going back and forth with them, just stay locked in.

“If I had anything negative to say about him I won’t ever say that in the public eye or say that where people can hear it. Because I don’t think it’s necessary. He has family. He has kids. He has people who love him. I just wasn’t brought up that way.”

Howard responds to Shaq.

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-news-dwight-howard-responds-to-shaquille-oneals-criticism/
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#60 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:20 am

Danny Green, Dwight.. who’s next? Rondo?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers