ImageImage

Gallinari is in the nest

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Re: BREAKING: Gallinari is in the nest 

Post#21 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:28 am

Wood has been my pet cat all this time, and if he goes for less than $10m/yr, something is really really wrong with that picture. He's in many top 5 FA lists. Where ATL is concerned, I was always leery that there could be some character/personality thing that could keep him from being attractive to Schlenk. But I couldn't imagine that b/t ATL and NYK, one of the two wouldn't throw $15m/yr at him.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#22 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:31 am

Well I think Collins is possibly getting moved. Getting Bog would pretty much seal it imo. We know Trae is getting a max deal regardless, and with all the money tied up, it only makes sense. Collins is going to be the odd man out.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#23 » by HMFFL » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:33 am

Ownership told Schlenk to be active and get bold in free agency so we're seeing that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
vtime
Rookie
And1: 246

Post#24 » by vtime » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:38 am

Mike Dantoni won big for years with little defense. We're not trying to win a title this year, way too much emphasis on our defense here. And Capela and Okongwu will defend the paint. Relax
vtime
Rookie

Post#25 » by vtime » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:38 am

Mike Dantoni won big for years with little defense. We're not trying to win a title this year, way too much emphasis on our defense here. And Capela and Okongwu will defend the paint. Relax
saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Post#26 » by saloonyk8 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:40 am

Not feeling great about this.... What's the cap situation next year with Gallo deal?
Commit to the process
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#27 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:58 am

Some looking at what JC will make next season and what Gallinari is going to be making when he does.

Not really worried about any salary imbalances by position for 2020-21, and even for 2021-22, you're still getting a lot of production out of other positions for little cash. It balances out.

After JC gets paid as an RFA next off-season, then more focus will be given to how the budget spreadsheet is structured, but if it turns out that Gallinari's year #3 is a team option, it's really a non issue.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#28 » by HMFFL » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:17 am

I just read on the GB that Bertens signed for 80m

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#29 » by Spud2nique » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:39 am

Just found out the news. My fav Gallo moment:

Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#30 » by Radioblacktive1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:39 am

$20M or not, I don’t trust Gallo with starter minutes. Feel like we would be much more effective overall if he’s beating up on the opposing team’s bench.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#31 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:42 am

Atlanta's Signing of Danilo Gallinari Steeped in Risk and Reward

Grade: B

Danilo Gallinari is joining the Hawks on a three-year, $61.5 million deal, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Read on Twitter

Signing Gallinari fits with the Hawks' attempts to enter the Eastern Conference playoff picture and what they need most to do it: another consistent shot creator. He doesn't do much to beef up their playmaking behind Trae Young, but he should allow Atlanta's superstar to move around off the ball a teensy-bit more.

Mostly, though, Gallinari assures the Hawks of spacing and a stopgap. No team shot a lower percentage from three last season, and their offensive rating placed in the 3rd percentile whenever Young was off the floor. Gallinari gives them a line to substantially improving both marks, with the bandwidth to drum up their volume at the charity stripe to boot.

What this signing says about John Collins' future is less certain. Gallinari is best deployed at the 4. The Hawks are assuming a good amount of risk giving him $20 million-plus per year on average at the age of 32 and given his injury history. This investment is a lot harder to spin if they intend predominantly to use him at small forward.For now, their grade mostly reflects the downside attached to Gallinari in a vacuum. Figuring out the lineup intricacies is a job for later.
Bleacher Report
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#32 » by Spud2nique » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:03 am

I have:

Trae/
Cam/Huerter
Hunter/Gallo
Collins/Bruno
Capela/Okongwu

We are a backup point from a deep 10.

I like DJ Austin or Jevon Carter depending on the price tag.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#33 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:07 am

As long as Gallinari can stay healthy, he has the potential to be an impact player for the Hawks. Injuries have been a significant part of his career, and he hasn't played more than 70 games in a season since 2012-13.

Gallinari spent last season with the Oklahoma City Thunder. The 32-year-old Italian had one of the best seasons of his career, averaging 18.7 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.9 assists while shooting 40.5 percent from three-point range. Playing as a stretch 4 seemed to benefit his overall game. Not only does it fit his skill set as a strong outside shooter, but he's always been a mediocre defender with a career minus-0.6 defensive box plus-minus, per Basketball Reference. It's a change that avoids matchups against the NBA's top wing players.

Gallinari's scoring ability will fit in nicely with a Hawks team that ranked 17th in the NBA in points per game (111.8) and 26th in offensive rating (107.2) last season.

Even though Gallinari isn't going to do much to improve their last-ranked defense, his shooting touch will mesh nicely with Trae Young's ability as a playmaker.

Young often relied on himself to make things happen for Atlanta's offense in 2019-20 because the rest of the roster struggled in shooting situations. John Collins had a strong year with 21.6 points per game and a 40.1 three-point percentage, but no one else averaged more than 12.3 points.

The Hawks were the least-efficient three-point shooting team in the league last season, making just 33.3 percent of their attempts.

Gallinari will be an immediate improvement in that category and bring a strong veteran presence to an Atlanta team that is looking to take significant steps forward coming off a 20-47 record.
Bleacher Report
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#34 » by azuresou1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:12 am

I've followed Gallo since he was a rookie. He's was and still is a VERY good player, but dude is made of glass and is 32. Also, at this stage of his career, I consider him exclusively a 4.

I'm not exactly loving the contract, although I'll feel better if year 3 is a team option.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#35 » by Spud2nique » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:15 am

Spud2nique wrote:I have:

Trae/
Cam/Huerter
Hunter/Gallo
Collins/Bruno
Capela/Okongwu

Add Snell. Hmm. Ya, writing it down in paper, we aren’t done yet. :wink: :lol:

:rockon: :rock:
vtime
Rookie

Post#36 » by vtime » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:20 am

Trae/
Cam/Huerter
Hunter/Gallo
Collins/Bruno
Capela/Okongwu

I think Gallo will start at the 3, but if we go with your proposed starting 5, then Gallo would backup Collins, and Reddish would backup Hunter. And yes, you forgot about Snell. Theres a logjam on the wing, so at least 1 of Snell, Huerter, Hunter, Reddish will be moved before the season.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#37 » by Spud2nique » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:26 am

vtime wrote:

Trae/
Cam/Huerter
Hunter/Gallo
Collins/Bruno
Capela/Okongwu

I think Gallo will start at the 3, but if we go with your proposed starting 5, then Gallo would backup Collins, and Reddish would backup Hunter. And yes, you forgot about Snell. Theres a logjam on the wing, so at least 1 of Snell, Huerter, Hunter, Reddish will be moved before the season.

Possibly but Cam is a starter 100%. Cam won’t be moved.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#38 » by jayu70 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:47 am

HMFFL wrote:We must have a big trade in the works to shuttle some talent, right? It's nice to have young talent but we have a lot of it and 60m starts.

Hawks have been a team devoid of talent for awhile. At least let's see how we function as a unit first before shuttling talent.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#39 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:51 am

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#40 » by Spud2nique » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:59 am

Wow. Most lucrative multi year deal for player over 30 with no all star appearances.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Atlanta Hawks