ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards sign Robin Lopez

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

MarcoPolo
Rookie
And1: 183

Re: Keith Smith: Wizards sign Robin Lopez 

Post#21 » by MarcoPolo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:24 am

Bench player at best if fit. Might smack some opposite teams mascots at his spare time.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#22 » by WallToWall » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:26 am

if indeed its 7mil, then this is an overpayment for what he brings. He has been on the decline for the last 2+ years, granted this past season was kind of crazy. Why not Noel?
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#23 » by Dat2U » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:27 am

This is just one of those deals that makes no sense on surface, but when you peel back some of the layers and really analyze the skill & veteran moxie Robin Lopez brings in comparison to the financial aspects, the deal looks even more dreadful.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,351

Post#24 » by doclinkin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:34 am

Maybe they thought they were signing the other Lopez.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#25 » by Ruzious » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:43 am

This isn't awful.

It's beyond awful.

At this point in his career, Robin Lopez is nothing more than a scrub. He can't guard anyone anymore. And he's a clumbsy offensive player. I mean... something's wrong here. I don't know what's going on, but we need a new GM.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#26 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:45 am

I think I'd prefer if they'd just kept Mahinmi for another year.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#27 » by NatP4 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:46 am

Maybe it’s actually for the smaller exception? And just for a locker room presence??? Maybe???

And because one of the young centers is being traded in the wall deal??
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#28 » by Dat2U » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:52 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:I think I'd prefer if they'd just kept Mahinmi for another year.

When you think about it, we downgraded from Mahinmi for 7 mil :lol: :lol: :lol: You just can't make this crap up.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#29 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:00 am

Playing Devil's Advocate here, I think think the Wizards did not have any interest in signing an expensive center for the long term. Generally speaking, it's a bad idea to put too much money into your center position unless you have a superstar. I think they envision Bryant developing into a full time 30-32 mpg center by the end of this year and they didn't want to be stuck paying a backup $10M a year for the next 3 or 4 years. And that looks like that was the going price for the pretty good defensive centers on the market like Noel and Thompson - $10M a year for 3 or 4 years.

So Sheppard just looked for the best guy he could sign with what's left of the MLE, who was willing to sign for 1-year. I guess Robin Lopez is it. Frankly, I would have preferred Yawn.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#30 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:02 am

Dat2U wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:I think I'd prefer if they'd just kept Mahinmi for another year.

When you think about it, we downgraded from Mahinmi for 7 mil :lol: :lol: :lol: You just can't make this crap up.

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#31 » by WallToWall » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:04 am

Dat2U wrote:

Given Mahinmi's injuries over the years as a 'zard, I think he owes us $$. He should sign a contract with the 'zards for $1 over 4 years. Then maybe, we get what we paid for, averaged out over all the years he's been here.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#32 » by miller31time » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:07 am

Hmm, it’s almost like Sheppard studied for years under the tutelage of Ernie Grunfeld and has inherited his most glaring weaknesses.

It’s almost as if fans of the team saw this coming a mile away and an organization that is mired in failure and embarrassment continues to dig themselves deeper into the bottomless pit.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#33 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:15 am

miller31time wrote:Hmm, it’s almost like Sheppard studied for years under the tutelage of Ernie Grunfeld and has inherited his most glaring weaknesses.

It’s almost as if fans of the team saw this coming a mile away and an organization that is mired in failure and embarrassment continues to dig themselves deeper into the bottomless pit.

I think it's a bad signing, but it's only bad for 1 year. It's like the bad CJ Miles move. At least Sheppard's mistakes fade away quickly. Ernie's mistakes cripple the franchise for years.

I totally understand Sheppard's logic in trying to sign a guy for just one year. I just think there's got to be someone better than Lopez. But ultimately, the only value lost in this maneuver is the on court production differential between Robin Lopez and, say, Willie Cauley-Stein, for one year. It's not really that bad of a blow.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#34 » by miller31time » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:19 am

nate33 wrote:
miller31time wrote:Hmm, it’s almost like Sheppard studied for years under the tutelage of Ernie Grunfeld and has inherited his most glaring weaknesses.

I think it's a bad signing, but it's only bad for 1 year. It's like the bad CJ Miles move. At least Sheppard's mistakes fade away quickly. Ernie's mistakes cripple the franchise for years.

I totally understand Sheppard's logic in trying to sign a guy for just one year. I just think there's got to be someone better than Lopez. But ultimately, the only value lost in this maneuver is the on court production differential between Robin Lopez and, say, Willie Cauley-Stein, for one year. It's not really that bad of a blow.

The issue I have is that his hit/miss ratio isn’t trending in the right direction.

We can say “this move” and “that move” weren’t terrible or crippling but Jesus, is that the organizational bar we’ve set for ourselves? Would better franchises be so forgiving?
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#35 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:20 am

Never really knew what people saw in Sheppard.

Thought last year’s machinations were way overrated.

Moved a few meager assets for a ton of mediocre pieces. Blew the draft. Retained Brooks.

This year, so far, has been pure WTF
In Rizzo we trust
tsvqt
Veteran
And1: 22

Post#36 » by tsvqt » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:21 am

Wall said, "If we sign Robin F'n Lopez, I want out!!"
Retired Air Force
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#37 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:26 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:

Never really knew what people saw in Sheppard.

Thought last year’s machinations were way overrated.

Moved a few meager assets for a ton of mediocre pieces. Blew the draft. Retained Brooks.

This year, so far, has been pure WTF

What draft has he blown? Hachimura wasn't the best conceivable player on the board, but overall, he's probably a top 10 rookie (made the all rookie 2nd team) who was picked 9th. That seems about what one expects from a half-decent GM.

His other moves, particularly the acquisition of Bonga and Bryant for nothing, were pretty good. He made an exceptionally good trade for Bertans.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#38 » by FAH1223 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:29 am

Kevin Broom:

Read on Twitter
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#39 » by Ed Wood » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:31 am

miller31time wrote:The issue I have is that his hit/miss ratio isn’t trending in the right direction.

What are the misses that inform the trend other than giving Robin Lopez a roster spot*?

*admittedly a kind of obviously bad choice to make in late 2020.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#40 » by gambitx777 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:39 am

Honestly I don't hate it its 7 mill one year deal trade fodder or a simple cut later on. Lopez isn't going to need to do much. We have bryant we have mo I can't remember is we still have AP or not much I mean it's not a bad deal for a backup. Of it was 7 mill 4 years yuck 7 mill one year it's fine. I find it hard to hate any one year deal hoenstly .

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Washington Wizards