ImageImageImage

Pistons sign Jerami Grant

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#201 » by bstein14 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:09 am

Just wait until we stretch Griffin next year so we can give another bench player $20 million per year with the money.

I actually thought Grant played great in the playoffs and he is a real big time defender and great team guy. He is going to help us win some games, but he isn't worth $20 million he's the 5th or 6th guy on a roster on a championship contender not someone you pay to be a top #1 or #2 guy on your lottery team.

Just so strange after we give away a solid rotation player like Brown for NOTHING to then spend $20 million on someone like Grant. 24 hours ago it looked like full rebuild mode and then we started wasting cap space on Grant and Plumlee instead of continueing to try to use our space to build future assets and flexibility. We're going to grind ourselves into that 7/8/9/10 playoff win and in spot on the backs for Rose/Blake/Grant and we're not going to go all-in on the young guys like we should be doing.
JosephMamah
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#202 » by JosephMamah » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:10 am

mattao313 wrote:
JosephMamah wrote:
mattao313 wrote:This is crazy we just gave Jeram Grant 20 mil per to be a main option on offense like how does this make any sense? Is it time to get the paper bags out?

It's the perfect tank move really, pretty much win win for the Pistons, the kid gets a year to see what he can do. either he bombs out as a 1st/2nd option and we end up with one of the worst records in the league, in a year that's expected to have star caliber talent at the top of the draft. Or he takes the step, becomes a star and jumpstarts the rebuild.

Worse comes to worst, in year 3 of the deal he'll still at least be a long, athletic, versatile, hard working defender with high bball iq and a nice 3 point shot. It shouldn't be hard to find a contender willing to send us 20 milion in bad contracts and a nice draft pick or two to add him for a playoff run.

We could have just did this with the young guys we drafted and used the cap space to get more assets for bad deals.

Yeah, but maybe Grant does break out given a chance in a bigger role. I think it's worth rolling the dice on him over a random, future draft pick at this point in the rebuild. He's actually in a pretty similar mold to the guys who just went #4 and #6 in this draft. And like I said, if it doesn't work out, I think we can still recoup a first rounder for him down the line.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#203 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:10 am

The Moose wrote:John Hollinger on our deals

Detroit went all in to get the Nuggets’ fourth-best player, waiving the recently acquired Dewayne Dedmon and Rodney McGruder and incurring an additional $3.7 million cap charge each of the next five seasons. My BORD$ [estimated real value based on performance] formula says Grant will be worth about $7.6 million next season; the Nuggets were significantly better when he was of the floor in both the regular season and the postseason. His contract is, by leaps and bounds, the worst free agent value thus far.

In fact, now the full plan has come together, one can see that the entire reason the Pistons traded FOUR second-round picks to turn Luke Kennard into Saddiq Bey and Rodney McGruder was because the non-guaranteed second year on McGruder’s deal was much more favorable to using the stretch provision. Similarly, trading Tony Snell and Khyri Thomas for Dedmon – who also had a lightly guaranteed second season – permitted the same maneuver.

The Pistons wouldn’t have needed to do any of these gymnastics had they not inexplicably also dropped a three-year, $25 million deal on Mason Plumlee (BORD$ value: $3.3 million), a pretty generic backup 5 who is not likely to be demonstrably better than recently acquired Tony Bradley or first-round draft pick Isaiah Stewart.

In other words, Detroit gonna Detroit
thesack12
RealGM

Post#204 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:12 am

The Moose wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
The Moose wrote:
Rose would be very easy to trade though. Pretty much any contender would take him in return for some small assets. We should be trading him somewhere like GSW who needs a 6th man

You would think so, but he's still around. Detroit reportedly tried shopping him at the deadline as well.

I just don't think he holds much value around the league. Detroit was able to sign him for less than the MLE to start with, which should tell us something.

I thought the story Rose didn't want to be traded and the Pistons were respecting his wishes

That chatter was out there, but for all we know if might have only been a snippet of the entire story. Perhaps Detroit had a trade lined up, and Rose didn't want to go to that specific team.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#205 » by Piston Pete » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:13 am

Next move, we stretch Ariza so we can throw $10 mil per at a PG to backup Rose.

Thus burying Hayes into the G-league along with the rest of our draft picks
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#206 » by The Moose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:13 am

JosephMamah wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
JosephMamah wrote:
It's the perfect tank move really, pretty much win win for the Pistons, the kid gets a year to see what he can do. either he bombs out as a 1st/2nd option and we end up with one of the worst records in the league, in a year that's expected to have star caliber talent at the top of the draft. Or he takes the step, becomes a star and jumpstarts the rebuild.

Worse comes to worst, in year 3 of the deal he'll still at least be a long, athletic, versatile, hard working defender with high bball iq and a nice 3 point shot. It shouldn't be hard to find a contender willing to send us 20 milion in bad contracts and a nice draft pick or two to add him for a playoff run.

We could have just did this with the young guys we drafted and used the cap space to get more assets for bad deals.

Yeah, but maybe Grant does break out given a chance in a bigger role. I think it's worth rolling the dice on him over a random, future draft pick at this point in the rebuild. He's actually in a pretty similar mold to the guys who just went #4 and #6 in this draft. And like I said, if it doesn't work out, I think we can still recoup a first rounder for him down the line.

If D rose goes, sure. Between Rose and Griffin ball dominant styles he won’t have a bigger role unfortunately.
JosephMamah
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#207 » by JosephMamah » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:16 am

The Moose wrote:
JosephMamah wrote:
The Moose wrote:
I would be 100% on board for this, if we didnt still have Blake and Rose. He will be 3rd option at best with those guys here and we will be competing for the 8th seed

Yeah, I'm still holding out hope that Blake is gone somehow before the season starts. I'll probably end up disappointed on that one tho

Rose would be very easy to trade though. Pretty much any contender would take him in return for some small assets. We should be trading him somewhere like GSW who needs a 6th man

I don't think rose alone hurts the tank all that much, and he could be a good veteran presence to help the young guys along. I would definitely trade him for a first in a minute, but I don't really care if he stays or not. Blake's the one I worry about hurting the tank.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#208 » by Piston Pete » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:19 am

Piston Pete wrote:Next move, we stretch Ariza so we can throw $10 mil per at a PG to backup Rose.

Thus burying Hayes into the G-league along with the rest of our draft picks

Called it. We just traded Ariza for Delon Wright and buried Hayes to PG3
bjones521
Pro Prospect
And1: 392

Post#209 » by bjones521 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:23 am

Woj hasn't reported this still so I hope this isn't true. It cant be bc we dont have the cap space
ChipButty
Senior
And1: 89

Post#210 » by ChipButty » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:25 am

BDM22 wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
He played most of his minutes at the 4 with the Nuggets.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/grantje01/lineups/2020

Some spot time at the 3, but he was the man next to Jokic for the most part.

He averaged 3.5 boards/per last season.

He’s NOT a PF

He’s a tweener who can’t rebound.

Good thing we got a guy to block Sekou’s playing time for the duration of his rookie deal. Not to mention also blocking Bey’s path to serious minutes.

Perhaps we can work on stretching their contracts as well? Use that money to pick up another center.

He started and played along side Millsap and Jokic in the playoffs. Long wingspan and can definitely effectively defend the other teams best wing.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,071

Post#211 » by MrBigShot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:32 am

We're kind of a laughing stock on realgm after todays free agency.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#212 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:36 am

MrBigShot wrote:We're kind of a laughing stock on realgm after todays free agency.

That's fair.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#213 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:40 am

Meanwhile, Presti just keeps crushing.

Trades Steven Adams to Nawlins for 3 more picks.

Is anybody else seeing a pattern here? OKC is making good move after good move after good move now that a certain somebody left their front office.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#214 » by BDM22 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:22 am

thesack12 wrote:Meanwhile, Presti just keeps crushing.

Trades Steven Adams to Nawlins for 3 more picks.

Is anybody else seeing a pattern here? OKC is making good move after good move after good move now that a certain somebody left their front office.

Yeah, these theories that we’re signing “veteran” role players to Big 3-year deals in order to lock-in the tank for that time and setup something after that ignores the fact that capspace can be easily used to nab extra picks by absorbing salaries from teams who need to clear space. Clearly teams are willing to part with picks. OKC has proven that.

Weaver is just flailing in the wind here. It’s pretty impressive how someone can cripple a rebuild in such a short period of time.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#215 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:34 am

Snakebites wrote:
ElectricMayhem wrote:Ok, now it's my time to try and defend Weaver in this thread. He's making it challenging, but I'll do my best. I talked about culture change in the Plumlee thread. In this thread, my defense is *closes eyes, spins around, points to a random thought bubble in head*: Two smaller contracts (Grant & Plumlee) are easier to package and move than one gargantuan contract (Blake Griffin). It is legitimately hard to move someone on a contract like Blake's. Assuming Grant and Plumlee stay on the Pistons all year, it's not impossible to think a team wouldn't trade for 1 or 2 years of one of 'em.

So your argument is that Grant and Plumlee aren’t as bad as Blake, who we also still have?

We appreciate the effort, we really do.

The Hollinger tweet about the contracts matching perfectly got me over-expectant.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#216 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:45 am

ElectricMayhem wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
ElectricMayhem wrote:Ok, now it's my time to try and defend Weaver in this thread. He's making it challenging, but I'll do my best. I talked about culture change in the Plumlee thread. In this thread, my defense is *closes eyes, spins around, points to a random thought bubble in head*: Two smaller contracts (Grant & Plumlee) are easier to package and move than one gargantuan contract (Blake Griffin). It is legitimately hard to move someone on a contract like Blake's. Assuming Grant and Plumlee stay on the Pistons all year, it's not impossible to think a team wouldn't trade for 1 or 2 years of one of 'em.

So your argument is that Grant and Plumlee aren’t as bad as Blake, who we also still have?

We appreciate the effort, we really do.

The Hollinger tweet about the contracts matching perfectly got me over-expectant.

Oh, that would have made this relatively easy to defend. At least those guys will play- they're easily more movable than Blake.

Of course, it also would have been absurd from the Nuggets perspective.
Jingles2
Junior
And1: 63

Post#217 » by Jingles2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:54 am

Maybe they're setting up sign and trade where Pistons get Plumlee, Grant, and Gary Harris for Griffin and Rose. Not that I really want Harris either, but if his contract helps us get out of Blake's I would probably be okay with it.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#218 » by Pharaoh » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:52 am

I find the judgement of what Weaver has done to be laughable!

Nuked the roster in a week!

We're racing to the bottom while taking shots at Musa, Wright, Okafor, Bradley + Sekou, Bey, Stewart, Hayes etc

But it's the Grant & Plumlee deals that are the issue? Have at it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
And1: 249

Post#219 » by Mr. Krabs » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:59 am

Hahahahahah
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#220 » by The Moose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:17 am

Pharaoh wrote:I find the judgement of what Weaver has done to be laughable!

Nuked the roster in a week!

We're racing to the bottom while taking shots at Musa, Wright, Okafor, Bradley + Sekou, Bey, Stewart, Hayes etc

But it's the Grant & Plumlee deals that are the issue? Have at it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

It would be fine if those were the guys who were going to get the majority of the minutes and the ball, but Blake, Rose, Plumlee and Grant will be the focal points of the team, Casey came to compete for the playoffs.

Lets assume we run a 9 man rotation, we can safely say that these players will be in it
1. Rose
2. Svi
3. Grant
4. Blake
5. Plumlee

That leaves 4 spots in the rotation for the following 9 players
1. Musa
2. Delon Wright
3. Jahlil Okafor
4. Tony Bradley
5. Sekou
6. Saddiq Bey
7. Isaiah Stewart
8. Killian Hayes
9. Josh Jackson

Grant and Plumlee were completely unnecessary additions that we
a) had to give up assets and cap flexbility to acquire
b) Both take away minutes from our first rounds picks+Sekou

I will say, if we offload Rose for some future asset, I will feel a lot better. Killian would get a bigger role, and we could get a better idea of Grant's potential as a top player on a team

Return to Detroit Pistons