ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards sign Robin Lopez

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Re: Keith Smith: Wizards sign Robin Lopez 

Post#41 » by youngWizzy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:45 am

I'd honestly just stick with Wagner and Bryant than pay Lopez 7 million. Tommy, this makes 0 sense..
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#42 » by smoothSeph » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:51 am

gambitx777 wrote:Honestly I don't hate it its 7 mill one year deal trade fodder or a simple cut later on. Lopez isn't going to need to do much. We have bryant we have mo I can't remember is we still have AP or not much I mean it's not a bad deal for a backup. Of it was 7 mill 4 years yuck 7 mill one year it's fine. I find it hard to hate any one year deal hoenstly .

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

Theres names still out there though. Why such a rush to sign Lopez, for most of the MLE at that.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#43 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:57 am

nate33 wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
miller31time wrote:Hmm, it’s almost like Sheppard studied for years under the tutelage of Ernie Grunfeld and has inherited his most glaring weaknesses.

It’s almost as if fans of the team saw this coming a mile away and an organization that is mired in failure and embarrassment continues to dig themselves deeper into the bottomless pit.

Never really knew what people saw in Sheppard.

Thought last year’s machinations were way overrated.

Moved a few meager assets for a ton of mediocre pieces. Blew the draft. Retained Brooks.

This year, so far, has been pure WTF

What draft has he blown? Hachimura wasn't the best conceivable player on the board, but overall, he's probably a top 10 rookie (made the all rookie 2nd team) who was picked 9th. That seems about what one expects from a half-decent GM.

His other moves, particularly the acquisition of Bonga and Bryant for nothing, were pretty good. He made an exceptionally good trade for Bertans.

I’m just not that high on Hachi. I thought Sekou and Clarke were better picks. And Admiral in round two when Bol was there was terrible.

We still don’t have a single above average defender - with the possible exception of Bonga (provided he can stop fouling)
In Rizzo we trust
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#44 » by JWizmentality » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:09 am

What the hell happened to my team?!?
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,035

Post#45 » by queridiculo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:43 am

Might as well come to terms with it now, Beal is gone.

What a **** show, this is not how you build a winning basketball team.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#46 » by queridiculo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:49 am

Ed Wood wrote:
miller31time wrote:The issue I have is that his hit/miss ratio isn’t trending in the right direction.

What are the misses that inform the trend other than giving Robin Lopez a roster spot*?

*admittedly a kind of obviously bad choice to make in late 2020.

So far Sheppard has used our MLEs on Ish Smith and Robin Lopez.

I'd call those misses and a horrible allocation of resources.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#47 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:28 am

miller31time wrote:Hmm, it’s almost like Sheppard studied for years under the tutelage of Ernie Grunfeld and has inherited his most glaring weaknesses.

It’s almost as if fans of the team saw this coming a mile away and an organization that is mired in failure and embarrassment continues to dig themselves deeper into the bottomless pit.

I said this on draft night and I will just repeat that Ernie never left. Tommy is Ernie.
Bye bye Beal.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#48 » by Kanyewest » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:53 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#49 » by queridiculo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:25 am

Kanyewest wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

It's funny, because somebody used that gif as a reaction to Robin Lopez :lol:

This went from, wohoo, basketball is back to #soWizards in a hot minute.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#50 » by doclinkin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am

queridiculo wrote:
Ed Wood wrote:
miller31time wrote:The issue I have is that his hit/miss ratio isn’t trending in the right direction.

What are the misses that inform the trend other than giving Robin Lopez a roster spot*?

*admittedly a kind of obviously bad choice to make in late 2020.

So far Sheppard has used our MLEs on Ish Smith and Robin Lopez.

I'd call those misses and a horrible allocation of resources.

Disagree on Ish Smith. But otherwise:

Trading Howard for CJ Miles instead of cutting him. (Or letting him show value and trading him for more). He was cut by Memphis immediately.

The IT debacle, stunting the growth of some of our young core. Then trading him for a longer contract guy who is also a meh performer, instead of just cutting him. IT was cut by the Clippers immediately. And shipped Issuf Sanon's rights to do so, which, also meh, but I guess there was nobody after 44 who was any less meh. Still we burned an asset. I mean I guess we gained our replacement when we lose Brad Beal, in Jerome Robinson. Woo.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#51 » by prime1time » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:26 pm

This one is simple. They wanted more professional vets in the locker room. Not about talent. About getting someone who's going to be reliable. On this board, we magnify every decision. So many changes have happened that I'll wait to see the final product.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#52 » by prime1time » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:27 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

I said this on draft night and I will just repeat that Ernie never left. Tommy is Ernie.

Let's say you're right. Then what?
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#53 » by JAR69 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:03 pm

Cheer up! Detroit acquired 4 backup centers in the last 2 days.

Seriously, I think Nate's point about Tommy thinking this is the best 1 year deal he could get for a veteran who is hopefully a good locker room presence is likely the best answer. Tommy is wrong, but at least it makes a little sense.
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#54 » by Ruzious » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:06 pm

youngWizzy wrote:I'd honestly just stick with Wagner and Bryant than pay Lopez 7 million. Tommy, this makes 0 sense..

I'm seeing it was near the MLE - so I assume it's 9 million. Where did you see 7 million?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#55 » by Shoe » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:27 pm

Great signing. Tommy said we need our young guys to learn from veterans. TB and Wagner can pick up some nuances from a scrappy pro.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#56 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:36 pm

Read on Twitter

I would definitely have preferred this to the Lopez signing. If we decided that we didn't want him in future years, he is tradeable at that price.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#57 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:37 pm

Shoe wrote:Great signing. Tommy said we need our young guys to learn from veterans. TB and Wagner can pick up some nuances from a scrappy pro.

I think there is some truth to this. The signing is underwhelming, but there are some silver linings. I'm not apoplectic about it. It'll be okay.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#58 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:05 pm

Media outlets keep talking about R Lopez as a rim protector. Is this at all accurate? What do the metrics tell us. In the dozen or so times I’ve seen him play, he’s always seemed more engaged on the offensive side of the floor.
In Rizzo we trust
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#59 » by doclinkin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:08 pm

I dont hate it, but I feel like if not for the PR disaster of pissing off a well respected player and possibly needing to blow the whole thing up, we might have attracted other interested players and had our pick.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#60 » by pcbothwel » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:23 pm

nate33 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I would definitely have preferred this to the Lopez signing. If we decided that we didn't want him in future years, he is tradeable at that price.

Im sure many would agree with you. However, he was an RFA like Bryant last year and took the deal on the table.

Return to Washington Wizards