ImageImageImage

Delon Wright, Ariza gone

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,084

Re: Delon Wright, Ariza gone 

Post#21 » by NYPiston » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:48 am

They're going to have no flexilibility the next two years and a roster (assuming that Griffin is even remotely healthy) that really won't be that bad but certainly not good either. It's an endless, vicious cycle that will seemingly never end.

He was off to a good start with the first Ariza trade and it has all gone to **** since. I just don't get it. What a gut punch today is.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,761

Post#22 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:55 am

Alright guys, that's the end.

Of the day.

And of other stuff too.

Time to all kick back and pour ourselves a drink.
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#23 » by jakebernat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:23 am

Snakebites wrote:Alright guys, that's the end.

Of the day.

And of other stuff too.

Time to all kick back and pour ourselves a drink.

Just one? As if we weren’t already supposed to be drinking?
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,116

Post#24 » by The Moose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:35 am

So the money we save by trading ariza for Wright is going straight to the Grant and Plumlee moves.
DarkSyde
Junior
And1: 115

Post#25 » by DarkSyde » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:39 am

Not sure what to think. There's so many moves going around. I would think that Weaver is trying to build an aggressive athletic defensive team.
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
And1: 249

Post#26 » by Mr. Krabs » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:43 am

DarkSyde wrote:Not sure what to think. There's so many moves going around. I would think that Weaver is trying to build an aggressive athletic defensive team.

would be ok if the game didn't involve putting a ball inside a circular shaped basket
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#27 » by El Chivo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:01 pm

NYPiston wrote:They're going to have no flexilibility the next two years and a roster (assuming that Griffin is even remotely healthy) that really won't be that bad but certainly not good either. It's an endless, vicious cycle that will seemingly never end.

He was off to a good start with the first Ariza trade and it has all gone to **** since. I just don't get it. What a gut punch today is.

We still suck from now and until 2022, unless our youngsters don't become superstars.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#28 » by Kilo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:22 pm

Wright was needed given we were threadbare in the back court should Rose have gone down (and you know he will). You don't want Hayes starting and playing starter minutes potentially right off the bat. Wright played for Casey before and has started in the league.

This will potentially allow Detroit to trade Rose at the TDL. This doesn't block Hayes. This past draft didn't have the franchise caliber players you could start on day one. Hayes is a Euro rookie who played in a lesser league and will need time to get used to the athleticism of the NBA.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,116

Post#29 » by The Moose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:23 pm

Kilo wrote:Wright was needed given we were threadbare in the back court should Rose have gone down (and you know he will). You don't want Hayes starting and playing starter minutes potentially right off the bat. Wright played for Casey before and has started in the league.

This will potentially allow Detroit to trade Rose at the TDL. This doesn't block Hayes. This past draft didn't have the franchise caliber players you could start on day one. Hayes is a Euro rookie who played in a lesser league and will need time to get used to the athleticism of the NBA.

I forgot Wright played in Toronto under Casey, thats a good point
pistonpat
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#30 » by pistonpat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:05 pm

thesack12 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Pick is probably from Detroit

You know it is. Every GM is taking advantage of Weaver while they can.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#31 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:21 pm

Kilo wrote:Wright was needed given we were threadbare in the back court should Rose have gone down (and you know he will). You don't want Hayes starting and playing starter minutes potentially right off the bat. Wright played for Casey before and has started in the league.

We should be past the days of needing to fill in potential holes created by injury. You also don't "need" to fill those holes with veterans on multi year contracts that aren't cheap. That's what vet minimum and 2 way contracts are for. Or at least get a vet on an expiring contract.

The fact that there is a connection with Wright and Casey actually makes it worse. It likely means that Casey is gonna lean on Wright, which doesn't bode well for Hayes getting on the floor.

I don't think anybody is saying Hayes should play 35 minutes a game his rookie season. But with Rose and Wright now in the fold, its looking like Killian is gonna be in that 10 MPG range. Wright will also be around next season as well. And as mentioned him being supposedly a Casey favorite, doesn't inspire hope Killian will be moving towards a big role anytime soon.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,997

Post#32 » by BDM22 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:27 pm

thesack12 wrote:

We should be past the days of needing to fill in potential holes created by injury. You also don't "need" to fill those holes with veterans on multi year contracts that aren't cheap. That's what vet minimum and 2 way contracts are for. Or at least get a vet on an expiring contract.

The fact that there is a connection with Wright and Casey actually makes it worse. It likely means that Casey is gonna lean on Wright, which doesn't bode well for Hayes getting on the floor.

I don't think anybody is saying Hayes should play 35 minutes a game his rookie season. But with Rose and Wright now in the fold, its looking like Killian is gonna be in that 10 MPG range. Wright will also be around next season as well. And as mentioned him being supposedly a Casey favorite, doesn't inspire hope Killian will be moving towards a big role anytime soon.

Hayes is looking at the Khyri Thomas treatment unless Rose gets moved. This is clear as day.

I suppose Casey could play Hayes next to Rose in the backcourt (since we have no real shooting guards), but I’m not holding my breath that Hayes sees the floor much this year, which is obviously absurd for a trash can of a team.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#33 » by flow » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:01 pm

BDM22 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Hayes is looking at the Khyri Thomas treatment unless Rose gets moved. This is clear as day.

I suppose Casey could play Hayes next to Rose in the backcourt (since we have no real shooting guards), but I’m not holding my breath that Hayes sees the floor much this year, which is obviously absurd for a trash can of a team.

The Moose wrote:Man, rose better be going now. Otherwise Hayes is our 3rd string PG

I get the concern, especially having endured SVG as head coach, but Wright is just bench fodder at this point. I'll be very surprised if he gets solid minutes throughout the season from Casey. Hayes will be worked into meaningful minutes sooner than later.

DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#34 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:13 pm

JosephMamah wrote:don't like taking on an extra year without getting anything at all in return. Weaver has been getting played pretty hard in most of these trades. But I still don't really hate where the teams at right now compared to where they were at a few days ago.

Wright shouldn't hurt Hayes pt much at all, more just insurance so they don't have to force Hayes into a big role until he's ready. Hayes can play the 1 or 2, and I think it might actually be better if they play him more at the 2 early on and take the pressure of running the team and trying to keep up with quick pgs defensively off of him in year 1

I’m not sure that I understand what is happening here. Detroit is taking on cap and longer term deals without acquiring assets. I thought that they dealt Kennard because he was too older for their vision of when they compete. Now I’m watching this team taking on older Kong term players with longer deals without compensation. I’m scared as hell that Weaver is on a win now mandate. Super scared of that from Gores now.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#35 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Again Im confused as to how this is working cap-wise.

Ariza's salary was used for Wood: S&T, their salaries matched, yeah?

So how did we just trade Ariza's salary to take in Wright's? Then how did Wood get S&T with us?

None of that makes sense. I know that all these moves need to be OK'd by the NBA accounting office to make sure they arent doing anything against the CBA rules, but this doesnt add up.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#36 » by chrbal » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:36 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:Again Im confused as to how this is working cap-wise.

So how did we just trade Ariza's salary to take in Wright's? Then how did Wood get S&T with us?

None of that makes sense. I know that all these moves need to be OK'd by the NBA accounting office to make sure they arent doing anything against the CBA rules, but this doesnt add up.

I’m hoping/guessing the protections on the pick to Houston are getting amended. It’s my, so far, understanding that we signed and traded wood to Houston for Ariza...then shipped Ariza out for wright as a 3(4?) team trade.

The Pistons are going to need to release a 20-30 minute video to explain what happened and why starting with the Bruce (later amended) trade.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#37 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:37 pm

BDM22 wrote:

Last year, after dumping Drummond, Jackson, Morris... Casey played Knight, Henson, McRae starter minutes, with Galloway.

He did not play Khyri, King, Hall unless he had too, because those guys were hurt, or too tired. Mostly just Hall because Thon was awful.

Hayes, Stewart, Bey, Sekou arent seeing any minutes. Maybe 30 total minutes a game, between them, if we're lucky.

Casey loves DRose, so thats a lock. Wright played with Casey in Toronto, thats a lock. Hayes is not playing unless they get hurt.

Grant and Griffin, thats all the PF minutes. No Sekou.

Bey is 6'8", but doesnt have the lateral speed for quick SF. He is a true tweener in the NBA. But Casey will play anyone in front of a rookie, so Svi probably plays here.

Plumlee has "veteran grit" so hes starting. Stewart maybe sees some minutes?

What dumb moves for the Pistons. They are trying to win as many games as possible. :banghead:
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,456

Post#38 » by Canadafan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:44 pm

chrbal wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:Again Im confused as to how this is working cap-wise.

I’m hoping/guessing the protections on the pick to Houston are getting amended. It’s my, so far, understanding that we signed and traded wood to Houston for Ariza...then shipped Ariza out for wright as a 3(4?) team trade.

The Pistons are going to need to release a 20-30 minute video to explain what happened and why starting with the Bruce (later amended) trade.

:lol: Ain't that the truth! We need some explaining and hopefully our GM is smarter than everyone
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,761

Post#39 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:47 pm

We've acquired a net of 4 centers in 3 days- Stewart, Okafor, Plumlee, and Bradley.

Even if other good moves are made later, there's no context where I ever say to myself "you know, it looked a little weird there for a while, but looking back using the 16th pick on a center then signing or trading for 3 marginal centers who will shave off his minutes was definitely the right call".

We've also got close to 60 million tied up in power forwards now and are nowhere close to elite at that position.

There's no putting a bow on either of those things.
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#40 » by TPA » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:49 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Last year, after dumping Drummond, Jackson, Morris... Casey played Knight, Henson, McRae starter minutes, with Galloway.

He did not play Khyri, King, Hall unless he had too, because those guys were hurt, or too tired. Mostly just Hall because Thon was awful.

Hayes, Stewart, Bey, Sekou arent seeing any minutes. Maybe 30 total minutes a game, between them, if we're lucky.

Casey loves DRose, so thats a lock. Wright played with Casey in Toronto, thats a lock. Hayes is not playing unless they get hurt.

Grant and Griffin, thats all the PF minutes. No Sekou.

Bey is 6'8", but doesnt have the lateral speed for quick SF. He is a true tweener in the NBA. But Casey will play anyone in front of a rookie, so Svi probably plays here.

Plumlee has "veteran grit" so hes starting. Stewart maybe sees some minutes?

What dumb moves for the Pistons. They are trying to win as many games as possible. :banghead:

A starting roster of players that you predicted WILL NOT BE winning many games at all...

Return to Detroit Pistons