ImageImageImageImageImage

Do we already have the nucleus of the next good Knicks team?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Is this a winning nucleus?

yes - I like what we have
31%
no - we're far off
69%

Total votes: 51

Cookies4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,411

Re: Do we already have the nucleus of the next good Knicks team? 

Post#21 » by Cookies4Life » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:02 pm

It'll be very interesting to see RJ's progression this year, especially if we can get rid of randle and RJ can assume the role of the #1 option and increase his overall USG rate. He was effective in Duke playing on the ball and we had two isolation heavy scorers in Randle and MOrris that forced RJ into more of a spot up/tertiary role for the team.

I'm also curious to see if Robinson can start the season without getting into so much foul trouble; some of that is him trying to cover up mistakes that some of our below defensive players end up doing but if he can stay on the floor and manage to get to around 30 mpg, his production should skyrocket across the board.

DSJ and or Frank have to take the next step in their progression. Same goes with Kevin Knox who had an abysmal sophomore campaign. If 1-2 of those guys can show some improvement that would be huge for this team.

There's a lot of variables involved since our core guys are so young and most were relegated to the bench in favor of average level vets the past couple years. Just from an odds standpoint, some of these guys have to improve and if they can than we have some core foundation pieces moving forward. That doesn't even include Toppin who looks to be one of the most NBA ready players coming out of the draft. Who knows what Quickley will do as a rookie but I'm intrigued by his skillset for sure.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,952

Post#22 » by Capn'O » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:31 pm

We've got a couple of pieces.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 4,901

Post#23 » by Jeffrey » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:37 pm

<sigh> I dind't want this but it looks like another tanking season. Give me CADE
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,171

Post#24 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:44 pm

Whatever happens, we'll compete under Thibs. And by the end of the season we'll have a true talent evaluation of everyone including Obi, Mitch, RJ and Frank. Smith or Knox will be out the door or have risen from the dead.

With the craptastic coaching we had prior to this year you never got a proper accounting of our talent, because our coaches SUCKED SO BAD.

So I'll be thankful to at least watch a properly coached team and see where the chips fall.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#25 » by br7knicks » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:47 pm

Good? Sure.

Contender? Nope.

I hope I'm wrong, and we're pleasantly surprised by the, Frank, Mitch, and toppin.

But I doubt it
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,913

Post#26 » by Richard4444 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:48 pm

If one player from Frank, Dennis and Knox became a good player, I would be pleasantly surprised.

But I think we ending up trading them for an established player.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,174

Post#27 » by Kampuchea » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:55 pm

RJ, Obi are the nucleus.

Quickley I hope sticks. Mitch is gone when contract is due.

The rest are not a nucleus, most of them are likely to be playing overseas soon.
Kampuchea
RealGM

Post#28 » by Kampuchea » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:00 pm

Is Mitch going to remain? I think we have him up to next year? If we can start winning maybe it makes sense to pay him but if not we should trade him.
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#29 » by denterprise » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:15 pm

How far we are off depends on what Frank, Knox, and DSJ did over the off-season. If two of the three stepped their game up we would have a nice core with one more sold draft to say we have our core. With a team this young, they will have to play together for another year or two before we can talk about 500.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,021

Post#30 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:44 pm

We have a team full of players who haven't even played in the league very long. Frank is the longest tenured player we have!!! He has been here 3 years and is barely old enough to drink. Let that sink in for a minute. Randle/Burks/Davis/Bullock are the only vets currently on the team.

People on here calling out players who are barely legal is a joke. No patience whatsoever around here.

Frank/DSJ
RJ/Quickley/Powell
Knox/Iggy
Toppin
Mitch

That's the youth movement. 20-23 year old players. Passing judgment on any of them is ridiculous. Look at how terrible this franchise has been run since we drafted Frank at the very least. No other team has had more GMs and HCs in the last 3 years!!

RealGM where facts never get in the way of a good story.
:beer: RIP mags
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,394

Post#31 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:55 pm

No.

IB4TL
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Kampuchea
RealGM

Post#32 » by Kampuchea » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:05 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:We have a team full of players who haven't even played in the league very long. Frank is the longest tenured player we have!!! He has been here 3 years and is barely old enough to drink. Let that sink in for a minute. Randle/Burks/Davis/Bullock are the only vets currently on the team.

People on here calling out players who are barely legal is a joke. No patience whatsoever around here.

Frank/DSJ
RJ/Quickley/Powell
Knox/Iggy
Toppin
Mitch

That's the youth movement. 20-23 year old players. Passing judgment on any of them is ridiculous. Look at how terrible this franchise has been run since we drafted Frank at the very least. No other team has had more GMs and HCs in the last 3 years!!

It is ridiculous to judge players who have been on the roster multiple seasons?

What is the story being made up in place of facts? If the player has been here for 2-3 seasons isn't that the fact?

Obi & Quickley haven't even been here so I understand they can't be really evaluated. The rest that have 2+ seasons in the league we have plenty of tape on and can make a decent opinion based on that.

I will give you that our crazy coaching and GM carousel is no friend to player development. I tend to think the player themselves are mostly responsible for improving but quality coaching and management would be a factor, albeit a smaller one than the player's own drive, determination and skills.

I may think most of the guys we have are barely rosterable, but I do think RJ has star potential. It just seems like the man is determined to reach his potential.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,021

Post#33 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:31 pm

Kampuchea wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:We have a team full of players who haven't even played in the league very long. Frank is the longest tenured player we have!!! He has been here 3 years and is barely old enough to drink. Let that sink in for a minute. Randle/Burks/Davis/Bullock are the only vets currently on the team.

Frank/DSJ
RJ/Quickley/Powell
Knox/Iggy
Toppin
Mitch

It is ridiculous to judge players who have been on the roster multiple seasons?

What is the story being made up in place of facts? If the player has been here for 2-3 seasons isn't that the fact?

Obi & Quickley haven't even been here so I understand they can't be really evaluated. The rest that have 2+ seasons in the league we have plenty of tape on and can make a decent opinion based on that.

I will give you that our crazy coaching and GM carousel is no friend to player development. I tend to think the player themselves are mostly responsible for improving but quality coaching and management would be a factor, albeit a smaller one than the player's own drive, determination and skills.

I may think most of the guys we have are barely rosterable, but I do think RJ has star potential. It just seems like the man is determined to reach his potential.

The facts are that not a single player on this roster(worth mentioning) have been in the league very long. All of them have been under **** conditions with nothing but turmoil and turnover at every level of the team. From FO disasters to HC disasters added to the Dolan bullshyt! All of the losing and poor decisions have been the main reason we don't see anything improving. Here we are again starting over and...we now have an opportunity to actually develop and play a majority of these kids. Not herky jerky rotation moves geared towards playing useless/trash vets over the kids for absolutely NO REASON.

There is an actual player development based coaching staff in place. Not just talkers who do the opposite. Look at how many different GMs/HCs/systems Frank has had since being drafted. Look at the names on that list without gagging up your breakfast. This team has been a young players nightmare for as long as we can remember!!

I don't know how much better Knox/DSJ/Frank can be after watching how lousy they have been handled since being drafted. People acting like they do are just kidding themselves. None of us have seen a balanced roster since the longest tenured player has been drafted. Yes ... Frank is the longest tenured Knick to date. He's been here longer than EVERYONE except Dolan/Houston. :lol:

Give the kids a real chance with a real coach/staff and a good GM. THAT has yet to happen here for about 50 years.
:beer: RIP mags
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#34 » by JBreezeNY » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:54 pm

We really do love overrating role players..
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#35 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:33 pm

Not sold on RJ so we are super far away imo.
Spot31
Pro Prospect
And1: 513

Post#36 » by Spot31 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:46 pm

Agreed. RJ seems to be just another role player on a good team.
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope." Rom. 5: 2-4
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#37 » by NY 567 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:32 pm

Our best player is a rim running garbageman role player. We're in fantastic shape.
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127
Starter
And1: 646

Post#38 » by KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:07 am

Optimistically our future core is Obi, RJ and Mitch. No one else on this roster is a long term solution besides them. Keep Randle this year, trade him next year when his deal is expiring. Randle is a great 3rd or 4th option for a win now team. So add another lottery draft pick in 2021 and trade Randle for controllable young assets. This is actually a big year to see if our young talent can convince free agents to come here next year. We are what the 76ers were for a while a long term rebuild.
ForzaMetro
Senior
And1: 676

Post#39 » by ForzaMetro » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:11 am

I'd trade our roster for almost all (maybe all?) of the other rosters in the league. So to answer the questions, no.
MeloNY
Bench Warmer
And1: 464

Post#40 » by MeloNY » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:58 am

No. Not even close.

Return to New York Knicks