ImageImageImageImageImage

Ive seen enough--Shep has to go

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,036

Re: Ive seen enough--Shep has to go 

Post#21 » by queridiculo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:30 am

Ji called it last time when most of us were still in their honeymoon phase with Ernest.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,863

Post#22 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:07 am

Just wanted to come over and offer my condolences guys. Both our franchises are destined to muck it up (mine the Bucks, where the owners kid likely leaked the Bogdan trade to curry favor with Woj).

The Bertans deal feels like it will be a boat anchor within about 12-18 months. Didn't realize he had blown the ACL twice already in the same knee. We had 2x ACL guys in Mike Redd and Jabari.

I do come in piece though on RoLo. For one year and +/- $8 million that's not bad. His problem in Milwaukee was that Budenholzer tried to play him like his brother. So he made RoLo sit in the corner to be a spot up three point shooter. Not his strength. The guy had to be an elbow facilitator like he was in Portland. You'll get some miles out of him.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,280

Post#23 » by doclinkin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:05 pm

prime1time wrote:Never got why people threaten to stop being fans. No one forces you. If you want to leave, you should leave. I was a Wizard fan before J Wall, I'll be a Wiz fan after J Wall and I'll be a Wizard fan when the Wiz and J Wall make-up and put this after him.

Yeah. Still 2020 has been a crushing year, it's tough to find yet another source of bad news, when you turn to sports for distraction and relief. People wanted to see redemption after enduring YEARS of disgust and dismay and injury woes etc. There's enough of that in real life. Tommy has made some decent moves and some clunkers. But, he talks too much and doesn't play the 3D chess game, and overvalues overseas players and then this. I won't stop being a Wizards fan, but it sucks to have yet another reason to be disheartened, so yeah, when I open my laptop there are times when I am less likely to click on the Wiz vs whatever else is interesting. It's a natural thing. It has been interesting seeing some of the old screennames pop up when there is fire and hope and excitement and sizzle about the team. Conversely, it happens, when the team does the same old suck thing, you shake your head and yeah some fans will slink away, or leastways become less visibly fanatic about the team. Tommy had a short window to differentiate himself from his former boss. He has done some nice things, but, now, what free agent is going to want to come here? Exactly this sort of thing was what made Boston able to counter recruit AL Horford. All they needed to say was: SoWizards, come to a real organization.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#24 » by Shoe » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:31 pm

Clown thread bro. Just entering year 2 of a rebuild.
leswizards
Senior
And1: 201

Post#25 » by leswizards » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:53 pm

I am Indifferent towards Tommy Shepherd, but not sure where this thread is coming from. Because Wall wants to be traded? Wall makes over $40 million a year, has 3 years left on his contract, and hasn’t shown anything over the last 3 injury plagued seasons. He isn’t going anywhere until he proves he is worth trading for. Because he overpaid for 1 season of Robin Lopez? Big deal, it gives the Wizards front court depth while allowing the Wizards to evaluate whether Mo and Anj can be reliable front court players. Is it peevishness over who the Wizards drafted? The Wizards got the bpa, and filled their biggest need, and possibly added a quality backup pg.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,366

Post#26 » by King Ken » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:02 pm

I actually like his moves considered the makeup of the Wizards roster but the cost of Davis and Robin. Ugh....

That said, I could care less about Wall asking to be traded. Brotha, your contract is ass. Prove your worth on the court and then talk ish
Endless Loop
Sophomore
And1: 172

Post#27 » by Endless Loop » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:39 pm

I'm still 100% behind Tommy, even though I'd give him a grade of "Incomplete".

The most consequential thing he did that we have some real data on is drafting Rui. It was at the very least a decent pick, and there's upside to it if Rui continues to improve.

The second most consequential thing he did was to get Brad to sign the extension. Not trivial!

BTW, terms of the Bertans extension weren't bad- and kudos that he got it done.

The rest is noise. It's too bad about the Admiral, but he was a mid-2nd. Matthews might be a win. Bonga a definite win for what we paid.

The Avdija pick was gutsy, but none of us knows that will turn out. Probably only a couple of us have ever seen more than 5 minutes of video of the guy!

Look at what he HASN'T done. Hasn't signed over the hill used-to-be's to long term contracts. Hasn't traded youth for age. He doesn't give away second round picks- he values them.

Night and day compared to Ernie.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#28 » by prime1time » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:46 pm

Well, much like Redskins fans stuck with Dan Snyder, he's not going anywhere.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#29 » by Ruzious » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:10 pm

Endless Loop wrote:I'm still 100% behind Tommy, even though I'd give him a grade of "Incomplete".

The most consequential thing he did that we have some real data on is drafting Rui. It was at the very least a decent pick, and there's upside to it if Rui continues to improve.

The second most consequential thing he did was to get Brad to sign the extension. Not trivial!

BTW, terms of the Bertans extension weren't bad- and kudos that he got it done.

The rest is noise. It's too bad about the Admiral, but he was a mid-2nd. Matthews might be a win. Bonga a definite win for what we paid.

The Avdija pick was gutsy, but none of us knows that will turn out. Probably only a couple of us have ever seen more than 5 minutes of video of the guy!

Look at what he HASN'T done. Hasn't signed over the hill used-to-be's to long term contracts. Hasn't traded youth for age. He doesn't give away second round picks- he values them.

Night and day compared to Ernie.

Really? I think any teenager could have made the Rui and Avdija picks by looking at a few internet mock drafts. There was nothing gutsy about the Avdija pick. I give him more credit for arranging the Winston pick - even if it doesn't turn out to be consequential.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,228

Post#30 » by NatP4 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:11 pm

He traded nothing for a 2nd round pick and Wagner, and Bonga.

He traded Aaron White for Davis Bertans

He traded Satoransky for two 2nd round picks

He also traded IT and Sanon for Justin Robinson

He bought a 2nd round pick in the 2019 draft

He traded a 2nd round pick and admiral Schofield for two 2nd round picks in the 2020 draft

He retained Bertans, Bryant, Matthews, and Beal.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#31 » by NatP4 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:15 pm

This was our roster at the end of 2018-2019:

Ariza
Beal
Brown
Bryant
Dekker
Green
Howard
Wes Johnson
Mahinmi
Parker
McRae
Portis
Chasson
Devin Robinson
Satoransky
Wall

Now:

Wall
Beal
Winston
Avdija
Smith
Wagner
Jerome Robinson
Mathews
Brown Jr
Hachimura
Gill
Bertans
Lopez
Bryant
Bonga
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,511

Post#32 » by closg00 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:32 pm

NatP4 wrote:He traded nothing for a 2nd round pick and Wagner, and Bonga.

He traded a 2nd round pick and admiral Schofield for two 2nd round picks in the 2020 draft

He also threw his Super Max player under the bus to the media and it has blown-up in his face right as he is trying to re-build, he's not that smart.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#33 » by Dat2U » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:37 pm

Shoe wrote:Clown thread bro. Just entering year 2 of a rebuild.

So we need to be patient and give Shepp the chance to prove he's better than Ernie over the next 16 years? :noway: :crazy: :nonono:
NatP4
RealGM

Post#34 » by NatP4 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:39 pm

Wall wasn’t thrown under the bus. It was never going to be a happy ending. They could either wait till the end of his contract to fully rebuild, or try to move on now. Shep is just doing his job. Wall publicly demanded a trade because he was shocked that the wizards are building around Beal.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#35 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:43 pm

Jay81 wrote:just atrocious---he is a step up from Ernie but he is still a way below average NBA GM. 17 straight years with the wizards. What are we doing? Get an outside guy.

Shep needs to go. What a disastarous week lol

What's the point of starting a thread and making a blanket statement with zero evidence to support it?
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#36 » by Dat2U » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:46 pm

NatP4 wrote:He traded nothing for a 2nd round pick and Wagner, and Bonga.

Bertans was a good pickup but not one of these other moves is consequential.

He literally wasted 4 months of on-court player development last season because he refused to release IT and allowed Brooks to keep playing him despite it being clear he couldn't contribute anymore.

This Wall fiasco is completely his self-created disaster. Even Ernie knew to keep his mouth shut and the Wizards out the rumors section.

Then signing a washed backup C for the entire MLE in an overloaded C market is just indefensible, especially when the C position was by far your biggest need... and he paid top price for a 3rd stringer.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#37 » by NatP4 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:57 pm

We are now criticizing Sheppard for attempting to trade the worst contract in the NBA.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,511

Post#38 » by closg00 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:21 pm

NatP4 wrote:We are now criticizing Sheppard for attempting to trade the worst contract in the NBA.

By all accounts he was not attempting a trade for basketball reasons, the trade attempt was triggered by John's reaction to publicly being demoted as the teams franchise cornerstone, John considered this to be HIS team. From a MGMT PR POV, a HS basketball coach wouldn't have made those comments.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#39 » by NatP4 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:24 pm

closg00 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:We are now criticizing Sheppard for attempting to trade the worst contract in the NBA.

By all accounts he was not attempting a trade for basketball reasons, the trade attempt was triggered by John's reaction to publicly being demoted as the teams franchise cornerstone, John considered this to be HIS team. From a MGMT PR POV, a HS basketball coach wouldn't have made those comments.

What comments are you referring to? The “building around Beal” comments?
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,963

Post#40 » by FAH1223 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Washington Wizards